PDA

View Full Version : Will the Foo Fighters ever make a half decent album again?

Drederick Tatum
09-13-2005, 06:12 PM
I doubt it.

Mr MC Mo
09-13-2005, 06:17 PM
Agreed

buddmonkey
09-13-2005, 06:59 PM
I totally disagree... I will not argue... In my opinion they have made many good albums... PEACE

Documad
09-13-2005, 08:44 PM
Ha, I was thinking this last week. Against my better judgment I got tickets to their stupid arena concert with Weezer in October. So I decided that I should force myself to listen to the new album all the way through. The rock CD must be the worst one I own. The other one isn't awful but it could be any MOR group. And apparently a bunch of the songs were written years ago, so Dave's no even trying to write anymore?

So I was thinking, "was I really that messed up to like them? were they EVER listenable?" And I put on The Colour and the Shape and I still love it. Some of the non-hit songs on the one after that are great too. Then I put on the new Bob Mould.

Foo Fighters are fun live (at least I hope they still are). They were never a great band--Dave isn't much of a writer. But they were pretty good once. But what in the hell happened?

DroppinScience
09-13-2005, 09:29 PM
I just don't understand YOU guys' problem. :confused:

"One By One" was FF on autopilot (yet when they're on autopilot, it's still wholly listenable), I admit. But "In Your Honor" is fantastic.

I'm just pissed that the album doesn't like to play properly on my computer. :mad:

SobaViolence
09-13-2005, 10:33 PM
they had a potential turn around for 'the one'

after colour and the shape, nothing but stinkers

BowieCokeMirror
09-19-2005, 01:31 PM
In Your Honor is by far the best rock album to be released in the last five years. all of there albums are awesome.

Junker
09-19-2005, 02:28 PM
In Your Honor is by far the best rock album to be released in the last five years. all of there albums are awesome.

I can sense here a president of a Foo Fighter Fan CLub :D

Extra Cheese
09-19-2005, 02:36 PM
they only make half decent albums thats the problem. I'm waiting for when they'll make a whole decent album. although i did like the colour and the shape

beastieangel01
09-19-2005, 08:19 PM
they had a potential turn around for 'the one'

after colour and the shape, nothing but stinkers

(y)

FunkyHiFi
09-19-2005, 10:49 PM
I'm just pissed that the album doesn't like to play properly on my computer.
Which version do you have, the regular CD or the DualDisc deluxe package?

DroppinScience
09-19-2005, 11:11 PM
Which version do you have, the regular CD or the DualDisc deluxe package?

I don't think it's DualDisc. The CD makes you install some kind of software in order to play it. Yet it still wasn't playing (when I tried to rip the CD onto my iTunes). :mad:

Documad
09-20-2005, 12:05 AM
^^ When the CD was released, there were hundreds of complaints on their message board about the CD not copying, not playing in a car CD player, etc. Some people posted links to fix your software. A lot of fans were pissed off.

I suspect that with this CD being such a stinker, the messageboard went back to the no negative stuff about the band policy.

TAL
09-20-2005, 12:10 AM
^^ When the CD was released, there were hundreds of complaints on their message board about the CD not copying, not playing in a car CD player, etc.
Just like on this board when TT5B was released.

Documad
09-20-2005, 12:15 AM
It's similar to here, but completely different. BBMB lets you criticize the band. It's funny to visit a place where no one is talking about the big shitty elephant in the room.

TAL
09-20-2005, 12:22 AM
And that's why I only quoted the stuff about the CD from your post ;)

b-grrrlie
09-20-2005, 01:36 AM
I listened to the latest quite alot when it came out, especially the acoustic part, then I totally forgot about it. Now last week I went to "my" record shop and the owner slapped the box set in front of me. I was surprised, I'd ordered it three months ago! "But you haven't been here for two" he said! Guess I hadn't then, can't afford to put my foot in that store :rolleyes: :D
So guess I have to start spinning those four vinyls then. That's what bugs me about vinyl, you gotta get up all the time to change sides, and with this one it's gonna be even worse. I hope it'll be worth the trouble...

FunkyHiFi
09-22-2005, 01:40 AM
DS: if you had the DualDisc version the discs would have two silver/playable sides and the inner ring would indicate which side was which (i.e. CD or dvd side). The dvd side actually uses the dvd-audio format which means besides the high resolution tracks there (I think its uses the 48kHz/24bit system), it also includes surround and stereo tracks using the Dolby Digital format for regular dvd players to play. Elliot Scheiner did the surround & stereo mixes for the acoustic songs-he is one of the most respected surround mixers around.

Extra audio nerd info: :)
Just a warning on certain DualDiscs: Sony's music labels (Columbia, Epic, etc) are putting out tons of DDs, many with surround mixes. Unfortunately, many people are reporting many of the surround mixes are really lame, sounding like they were made from the stereo tracks using an electronic system like a home receiver uses ("DSP") to produce fake-y mixes full of bland artificial reverb effects. REAL surround mixes require the use of the studio's multitrack masters which involves quite a bit of extra time & money but--if the musicians want--you can get separate instruments/vocals wherever you want them so truly interesting mixes can be put together. DDs from Warner & its sub-labels, BMG (Foo Fighters, Alicia Keys, etc) and Universal seem to always be made this way. And these always(?) use the high resolution dvd-audio format, along with Dolby for regular dvd players.

DroppinScience
09-22-2005, 10:43 AM
DS: if you had the DualDisc version the discs would have two silver/playable sides and the inner ring would indicate which side was which (i.e. CD or dvd side). The dvd side actually uses the dvd-audio format which means besides the high resolution tracks there (I think its uses the 48kHz/24bit system), it also includes surround and stereo tracks using the Dolby Digital format for regular dvd players to play. Elliot Scheiner did the surround & stereo mixes for the acoustic songs-he is one of the most respected surround mixers around.

AMG says...

[In Your Honor was released in two editions: a copy-protected CD that will not play on your computer without installing a separate media player, and a DualDisc, containing a CD on one side and a DVD on the other. The DualDisc has a 5.1 mix version of the album on the DVD side, along with a very informative and entertaining documentary about the making of the album, tracing it from pre-production through the construction of a studio and to the recording of the two albums. The CD side of the DualDisc may not register on some computers.]

I'd say I got the copy-protected CD. Even when I installed the software, it didn't play on my iTunes. I'll try it again sometime... *sigh*

Spock
09-22-2005, 04:22 PM
I was never a big fan of theirs but I saw them in concert a month ago. It was a great show. They played lots of old tracks and some new stuff, I think it would be impossible not to enjoy yourself.

wavin_goodbye
09-22-2005, 07:48 PM
they're out of ideas..they've had a good run, but they're just ruining their reputation.. time to call it quits and let grohl drum on all kinds of random side projects...

there's only so much yelling you can do..