PDA

View Full Version : personal space.

beastieangel01
09-14-2005, 03:19 PM
Here at work, I don't mind people using some of my tape, or borrowing my scissors, or crap like that.

However, I DO mind when people just come right up to the desk and take it off the desk quick like and say "I'm borrowing this."

Is it really a bad thing to ask first? and to let me hand it to them? I can't stand when people enter my personal space. And my desk is small as hell, so when they grab something, they have to go AROUND me and be about an inch from me.

Bleh!

ToucanSpam
09-14-2005, 03:21 PM
I agree, Boo.

Personal space is super important. At my old job you gotta have respect for people's desks and offices and going near it without permission was not a good idea. Sooooooo, Boo, I say people, ask first.

adam_f
09-14-2005, 03:24 PM
One time my brother took my wallet and said he was going to rent a movie. Rented three movies dammit.

I couldn't be more irrelevant.

beastieangel01
09-14-2005, 03:33 PM
I agree, Boo.

Personal space is super important. At my old job you gotta have respect for people's desks and offices and going near it without permission was not a good idea. Sooooooo, Boo, I say people, ask first.

that's it. I am changing my icon when I get home... on Friday. :p

enree erzweglle
09-14-2005, 03:37 PM
Are you in a cube? Visitors at my work do what you describe more with women who work in cubes than they do with men who work in cubes.

I think they perceive cubed woman to be secretaries and maybe they think that secretaries don't count.

adam_f
09-14-2005, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by enree erzweglle
I think they perceive cubed woman to be secretaries and maybe they think that secretaries don't count.

Then they're assholes because we secretaries do count, dammit.

beastieangel01
09-14-2005, 03:43 PM
Are you in a cube? Visitors at my work do what you describe more with women who work in cubes than they do with men who work in cubes.

Yeah, I am in a cube. Those bastards. These are guys I work with though doing it and it's driving me up the wall.

enree erzweglle
09-14-2005, 03:57 PM
Yeah, I am in a cube. Those bastards. These are guys I work with though doing it and it's driving me up the wall.
Down the hall from me is a two-person office. A guy sits in the front of the office; he's support. The person he supports sits in the back part of the office.

I hear that visitors often walk into the office when they're both in there and they ask the woman about his schedule (thinking that he's the boss and she's the support staff).

CrankItUp!
09-14-2005, 04:03 PM
Can I borrow a postage stamp ? I promise to give it back. :rolleyes:

synch
09-14-2005, 04:12 PM
that's it. I am changing my icon when I get home... on Friday. :p
I was going to ask you to do that, it's even getting on my nerves.

;)

abcdefz
09-14-2005, 04:14 PM
The Vietnamese at the Vietnamese grocery on my block have zero sense of personal space. Very weird. Only seems to happen in the grocery, thoiugh, but it's pretty uncomfortable.

Also, the entrance is right where the registers are, and they just absolutely pack in and only reluctantly budge so you can get through to the rest of the aisles. Odd.

beastieangel01
09-14-2005, 05:05 PM
yeah I guess it's different with different cultures?

Also the whole female in the office thing, I can see why that happens. Even though it sucks. Get out of my space, buttheads!

ms.peachy
09-15-2005, 03:34 AM
That's just really rude. Next time it happens, say "No. No, you're not." And at first they were probably laugh like they think you are kidding. But stand your grand and just give tem a "Do I look like I'm kidding?" stare. And say "I don't appreciate people taking things off my desk without asking. It's rude. If you wnt to borrow something, aek me and I will loan it to you. But don't presume you can just take it. Because you can't."

Dr Deaf
09-15-2005, 07:37 AM
i know this wretched mess of a semi-human being in the hammer that totally gets in everyone's personal space. when he talks (shouts) i wish i had police barricades to set up, in hopes he'd stay back 5+ feet. he's like a tazmanian devil. the self proclaimed dry-wall king of the city with one tooth out up front.

5 mins of conversation with this guy makes you completely stressed out.

Bob
09-15-2005, 07:39 AM
just hide all your stuff. put it in drawers, and hide them under legal pads, so nobody knows where to find anything other than you. make sure you rearrange everything once a week or so.

ms.peachy
09-15-2005, 08:28 AM
OOOOOoooo, you know what you should do? Get a 'decoy' set of stuff and glue it all down to the surface of your desk, so that when some schmuck goes to grab for something it doesn't move and he looks really stupid.

Rock
09-15-2005, 08:41 AM
Didn't you make a thread about this a couple of months back or something similar?
Stand up for yourself (and your red stapler) and it won't happen half as much.

beastieangel01
09-15-2005, 09:27 AM
I did make a thread similar. Someone stole my stapler. It's funny, because I'm not even the damned front desk anymore and they STILL come to me for shit.

Fuckers. :p

I think I'll use peachys idea. Just say no. And grab it in my hand so they don't take it. I'll be known as the bitch monster in the office but that's okay. The sales guys here suck anyway.

Nuzzolese
09-15-2005, 09:41 AM
The resident doctors around here are very rude. They will do things like barge in and start using your desk phone without asking, take your pens, even step into the office I share with 2 other women, in order to loudly finish their phone calls. One guy got a call as he was down at our end of the hall, so he stepped into our office, didn't look at us or in any way acknowledge that there were other people in the room, and had a conversation rather loudly. I didn't see the point in stepping into the office, anyone in the hall could have heard him clearly. We just looked at him in shock and confusion as he spoke on the phone. Then he was finished and was out the door. We were confounded by that.

Monsieur Decuts
09-15-2005, 09:45 AM
i start at 8, everyone else starts at 6..they have two hours to caffinate and they're all buzzed when i get there at 8....stay outta my face coffee nuts and let a brother wake up. Keep your caffinated mouth shut.

adam_f
09-15-2005, 02:33 PM
Have you seen my stapler?

abcdefz
09-15-2005, 02:40 PM
I did make a thread similar. Someone stole my stapler.

...someone jellied your stapler?