PDA

View Full Version : Last Night I Hung Out with....

Mr Films
09-17-2005, 05:56 PM
Quentin Tarantino and the RZA

no joke....

HEIRESS
09-17-2005, 05:57 PM
*SLAMS HAND ON TABLE*

I call bullshit!

pics?

Mr Films
09-17-2005, 06:00 PM
*SLAMS HAND ON TABLE*

I call bullshit!

pics?

sadly, no pics and I considered that when making this thread.

basically, QT has this "semi-annual" film festival here in Austin where he shows really obscure movies from his personal collection. I used to work to the Film Studios which sponsor the event and thus got a comp ticket.

So I ended up gettin to chill with QT, Rick Linklater, Robert Rodriguez and the RZA happened to be there as well.

QueenAdrock
09-17-2005, 06:13 PM
Quentin seems like the kind of guy who would be pretty high-strung if you met him. But maybe that's cuz I have the feeling he'd be pretty coked up.

paul jones
09-17-2005, 06:34 PM
always have camera on you!

anyway,good going! (y)

TAL
09-17-2005, 06:36 PM
I saw RZA in Coffee And Cigarettes today.

That's not as cool though.

Mr Films
09-17-2005, 11:19 PM
Quentin seems like the kind of guy who would be pretty high-strung if you met him. But maybe that's cuz I have the feeling he'd be pretty coked up.

he is somewhat unapproachable.

RZA, though, was just chillin by himself in a corner and I walked up and we somehow started talking about anime.

GetYourWarOn
09-17-2005, 11:39 PM
Quentin Tarantino and the RZA

no joke....

don't fucking lie to me asshole. those are like 1 and 4 on my list of men i'd have sex with even though i'm straight.

Mr Films
09-17-2005, 11:42 PM
don't fucking lie to me asshole. those are like 1 and 4 on my list of men i'd have sex with even though i'm straight.

well, you'll be glad to know I didn't have sex with either of them.

GetYourWarOn
09-17-2005, 11:45 PM
well, you'll be glad to know I didn't have sex with either of them.

i still hate you. :(

mickill
09-17-2005, 11:47 PM
Uh....you mean you have an actual list?

Damn, Films. Linklater is one of my favorite filmakers. Kicking it with RZA was probably pretty nuts, too.

Bob
09-17-2005, 11:51 PM
i get the feeling that tarantino would be kind of annoying to hang out with for longer than like...an hour or so.

GetYourWarOn
09-17-2005, 11:53 PM
i get the feeling that tarantino would be kind of annoying to hang out with for longer than like...an hour or so.

i've only seen him in interviews and i get that same feeling.

Mr Films
09-18-2005, 12:05 AM
Linklater is one of my favorite filmakers.

really?

dare I ask why?

don't get me wrong, Waking Life, Dazed and Confused and School of Rock and such......and Slacker gives hope to aspirers like myself.

but, Bad News Bears? Newton Boys?

I may be bias cuz they talk him up like a demigod round here.

Documad
09-18-2005, 12:24 AM
I'd have told Mr. Linklater that his best work was School of Rock because I have a feeling it would bug him. I didn't like Slacker or Dazed and Confused and had completely given up on him. It was Mike White (is that his name?) the writer who made me see School of Rock. I adore White even though I don't know his first name for sure!

Q.T. may be a horse's ass, but he's funny and he's made some great moments in film so I love to meet him.

Mr. Films, tell us more! What were they like? Was the film Q.T. picked any good? Did you like The Usual Suspects [another thread]?

mickill
09-18-2005, 12:39 AM
really?

dare I ask why?

don't get me wrong, Waking Life, Dazed and Confused and School of Rock and such......and Slacker gives hope to aspirers like myself.

but, Bad News Bears? Newton Boys?

I may be bias cuz they talk him up like a demigod round here.
Oh. I didn't think he got enough credit around here.

I just think his sort of fly on the wall approach to films is pretty unique. Like, the style of films like Suburbia, Before Sunset/Sunrise, as well as the aforementioned Slacker and Dazed...are what I appreciate about him. You feel like you're just following these characters around. There's intimacy. There's no big climax, overly outrageous characters or unrealistic dialogue (think Kevin Smith). But yeah, not everything he does is perfect, or even good. But that's just the nature of the business sometimes, I guess. Bills need to get paid and you don't always get to work on the kind of projects you'd like to. I got a lot of favorite directors, though.

Doc, how could you appreciate contrived, slightly above mediocre movies like The Usual Suspects but not even like a beautifully understated film like Dazed And Confused?

Documad
09-18-2005, 12:48 AM
Doc, how could you appreciate contrived, slightly above mediocre movies like The Usual Suspects but not even like a beautifully understated film like Dazed And Confused?
I hate The Usual Suspects with a burning passion!!! I just want someone to validate me someday.

I saw Dazed and Confused when it came out and it just didn't move me. It didn't ring true and I wonder if it was because it was from another region. I'm usually a sucker for that kind of thing too. I tried to watch it again later but all the now famous people distracted me.

I saw the last couple of minutes of Ebert and whatshisname and the Matt Dillon movie (Over the Edge?) is being released on DVD. I remember that being a true slice of life for my teenage years.

Documad
09-18-2005, 12:50 AM
I didn't realize he did Before Sunrise. I loved that. I need to move the sequel up in my Netflix queue.

(I wonder how many Americans could spell queue before Netflix?)

mickill
09-18-2005, 01:07 AM
Ok, good good good.

I actually enjoyed The Usual Suspects when I first saw it, but afterwards, maybe a week later, I was like, wait a minute, that was really stupid. Then I watched it again and decided that the acting was equally stupid, apart from maybe Benicio Del Toro's performance and that guy who played Kobayashi.

Queue is just one of those words that's more complicated than it needs to be. It should be spelled k-e-y-o-o-w-u-h, I think.

Documad
09-18-2005, 01:16 AM
Thanks for validating me. I am now freeeeeee!

I saw The Usual Suspects with a big group of friends and they all thought it was fabulous. Even though I am a HUGE HUGE HUGE fan of crime movies, I thought it was so poorly written as to be ridiculous. And my friends kept discussing and discussing and discussing it. I kept trying to make them see the light. Then it won an oscar for the screenplay. wtf?

HEIRESS
09-18-2005, 01:23 AM
HE'LL FLIP YAH

FLIP YAH FOR REAL

mickill
09-18-2005, 01:25 AM
Exactly. Best screenplay my ass. More like most self-nullifying and overblown screenplay. The most unbearable thing is the cliched dialogue. Like when the cops are rounding up the suspects and they come to arrest Kevin Pollak's character and they ask him if he's whoever and he goes, "Who wants to know?" or something equally idiotic.

But yeah, Benicio was good.

HEIRESS
09-18-2005, 01:30 AM
HAND ME THE KEYS YAH COCKSUCKA MATHAFUCKA AWWW WTFFF

mickill
09-18-2005, 01:44 AM
In English please. Excuse me?

Yeah, Benicio was good.

DandyFop
09-18-2005, 01:48 AM
It was Mike White (is that his name?) the writer who made me see School of Rock. I adore White even though I don't know his first name for sure!

Yes, it's Mike. I heart him too. Have you seen Chuck and Buck?

P.s. mickill isn't it past your bedtime? You better drink some warm milk and do up the flap in your longjohns.

CrankItUp!
09-18-2005, 01:51 AM
Damn, you did have an ultra-cool memorable experince indeed - dude. Its one thing to have just a "Hi" and "Bye" encounter with someone that you admire alot and only get to have a few minutes with a quick couple words of praise and then - they have to go usual sorta deal. But - to spark off their attention where it compells them to want to speak back and all of a sudden into lenghty conversation back and forth with that person - is quality stuff ! And you get the satisfaction of honestly having got to hang out with that person - is the sheer absolute ultimate encounter to ever hope to have. And it usually tends to be the rarest - instead of a shitty disappointment encounter that would have been better off not happening at all ! But - that DIDN'T apply in your fortunate case. (y)

Documad
09-18-2005, 01:53 AM
Yes, it's Mike. I heart him too. Have you seen Chuck and Buck?

P.s. mickill isn't it past your bedtime? You better drink some warm milk and do up the flap in your longjohns.
Yes, I enjoyed Chuck and Buck. :) His commentary on the Freaks and Geeks episodes he wrote is priceless.

I figured mickill was partying with Ava, no?

mickill
09-18-2005, 01:54 AM
I get to stay up late tonight because I finished all my prune soup.

Doc wins.

DandyFop
09-18-2005, 01:54 AM
Freaks and Geeks. Best. Show. Ever.

CrankItUp!
09-18-2005, 01:56 AM
Prune soup ? - G'DAMN ! :p

CrankItUp!
09-18-2005, 01:58 AM
Ya - I loved that show too. I wonder what those kids look like now?

DandyFop
09-18-2005, 02:01 AM
Ya - I loved that show too. I wonder what those kids look like now?

One of them (John Daley aka Sam) is gonna be in some new Fox show Kitchen Confidential - he's fucking HUGE now! And I saw him in a preview for some other movie coming out soon.

Seth Rogen (Ken) was in 40 yr. old virgin (thanks to Judd of course).

If you guys liked that you should read Paul Fieg's books. Well, I've read the first one but I'm getting the second one soon.

Mr Films
09-18-2005, 02:03 AM
Mr. Films, tell us more! What were they like? Was the film Q.T. picked any good? Did you like The Usual Suspects [another thread]?

It was a 9-day festival that I was only present for two of the days. The real reason I even got comped was I volunteered time filming QT's introductions to each film.

He showed 2-3 films per night during the week and 7 films (all night long) on each Saturday. They were all from his home film collection (he's owns a shitload of prints) and they all were about as obscure as can get. Each night had it's own theme etc.

QT himself seemed somewhat terrified of me- and i came to think it was because no one told him there'd be somebody filming. So, every time he did an intro- I'd be ten feet away pointing a camera. He seemed uneasy about it. But, get him going about one of the films he showed and it'd be all good. Robert Rodriguez and Linklater are both heavily involved in the Austin Film Society (they put it on and I used to work for them), so I'd met them before. Both real laid back guys. If you didn't know, you'd never mistake Linklater for a film director. Rodriguez and Tarantino together is kinda nuts. They high five alot and word is they're co-directing a film soon.

RZA was suuuuuuuper laid back. I wanted to talk music but didn't breach the subject cuz I was gonna talk about the Bobby Digital Record and couldn't remember if he did that one or not. I still haven't bothered to check.

Usual suspects is aight.

CrankItUp!
09-18-2005, 02:09 AM
Maybe George Lucas will be the next cool encounter. :cool:

DandyFop
09-18-2005, 02:11 AM
Maybe George Lucas will be the next cool encounter. :cool:

If I met him I would slap him upside the fucking head.

Anyway Filmy Boy, that is awesome that you got to hang out with those peeps. I would hate to meet someone like Quentin just because I know people who are such HUGE fans of his (not that i don't like his stuff, but he's not one of my favorites), and I would feel unworthy or something.

CrankItUp!
09-18-2005, 02:17 AM
I'm not much familuar with but a few film industry guys, but talking to Kevin Smith could be interesting. (y)

Documad
09-18-2005, 02:19 AM
Cool beans! I must be fun to be part of all that.
Sometimes it seems like people forget why they love movies and how lucky they are, so it's good when successful people support home town stuff.

mickill
09-18-2005, 02:21 AM
I'm not much familuar with but a few film industry guys, but talking to Kevin Smith could be interesting. (y)
Especially if he wrote the conversation you guys would have. It'd be all snappy and "witty".

Documad
09-18-2005, 02:21 AM
If I met him I would slap him upside the fucking head.
I can't think of anyone who needs it more. When you hear him interviewed about other people's movies, you can tell that he once had a passion for movies. What the hell happened?

CrankItUp!
09-18-2005, 02:24 AM
Especially if he wrote the conversation you guys would have. It'd be all snappy and "witty".
Wtf - are you saying I'm dim-witted ?

CrankItUp!
09-18-2005, 02:43 AM
I'm just going to take that negative remark as you being in a bad-mood perhaps dude.

mickill
09-18-2005, 03:19 AM
I wasn't saying you're dimwitted, you freakin moron!

I just think his sort of fly on the wall approach to films is pretty unique. Like, the style of films like Suburbia, Before Sunset/Sunrise, as well as the aforementioned Slacker and Dazed...are what I appreciate about him. You feel like you're just following these characters around. There's intimacy. There's no big climax, overly outrageous characters or unrealistic dialogue (think Kevin Smith). But yeah, not everything he does is perfect, or even good. But that's just the nature of the business sometimes, I guess. Bills need to get paid and you don't always get to work on the kind of projects you'd like to. I got a lot of favorite directors, though.
From earlier in the thread.

CrankItUp!
09-18-2005, 03:22 AM
Ok - I'm a freakin' moron, that makes me feel much better then. (y)

mickill
09-18-2005, 03:24 AM
I'm just playing when I say that, you idiot!

Beth
09-18-2005, 03:32 AM
sounds like a great time, matty. :)

i like QT a lot, but i always had the impression he was super arrogant, which i couldn't understand since he's so fucking ugly. i also always had the impression he probably doesn't properly judge distances to accomodate for his huge jaw, so i picture him constantly knocking people out with it.

i don't care what all you people say -- i loved the usual suspects. i think if you look at any movie, you'll find some lines that are either cliche or just plain idiotic. and if you do, so what? were you entertained? it isn't like you were sitting through city heat, after all.

roosta
09-18-2005, 07:38 AM
you lucky bollox!!! good show

i was 4 feet from johnny depp outside man's chinese theatre on friday :cool:

HEIRESS
09-18-2005, 10:21 AM

Im in love with my boxset, people keep asking to borrow them but Im always making up lame excuses why they cant cause I cant bear parting with them

Documad
09-19-2005, 01:38 AM
were you entertained? it isn't like you were sitting through city heat, after all.
I was entertained by City Heat. :)
My dad loved that movie, and I have a soft spot for movies my dad loved. I also have a soft spot for movies Madeline Kahn was in.

DandyFop
09-19-2005, 01:41 AM
Im in love with my boxset, people keep asking to borrow them but Im always making up lame excuses why they cant cause I cant bear parting with them

Let's hang out and you can show me pilates while we watch it.

HEIRESS
09-19-2005, 01:47 AM
Let's hang out and you can show me pilates while we watch it.

BEST
IDEA
EVER

but itll hafta be a braless event cause the bra clasp kinda hurts when you doing so many moves while lying on your back

:eek:

Documad
09-19-2005, 01:47 AM
I figured it was safe to lend it out after I'd listened to most of the commentaries. I leant it to the most responsible couple I know. I was nervous the whole time they had it and asked for it back when I found out they had only watched two episodes in two weeks. If you can do that, you don't deserve it.

Loppfessor
09-19-2005, 01:55 AM
I hung out with some dudes from work but you don't hear me bragging about it

Mr Films
09-19-2005, 02:02 AM
I hung out with some dudes from work but you don't hear me bragging about it

that's cuz you're a LOSER

you don't see me whining about not having a birthday thread.

oh yeah, that's cuz I had one. zing!

Loppfessor
09-19-2005, 02:20 AM
that's cuz you're a LOSER

you don't see me whining about not having a birthday thread.

oh yeah, that's cuz I had one. zing!

Okay mister smartie pants I will brag about hangin with the dudes from work last night!

Documad
09-19-2005, 02:33 AM
Okay mister smartie pants I will brag about hangin with the dudes from work last night!
My god, I need to go to bed!

I read that as "I will brag about bangin the dudes from work last night" and had to blink really hard.

Loppfessor
09-19-2005, 05:11 AM
LOL....umm I would never brag about that. A gentlemen never talks of such things

Planetary
09-19-2005, 05:51 AM
a hot girl who gave me her number :D

Qdrop
09-19-2005, 08:10 AM
HE'LL FLIP YAH

FLIP YAH FOR REAL

HAND ME THE KEYS YAH COCKSUCKA MATHAFUCKA AWWW WTFFF

what is wrong with you?