PDA

View Full Version : City running background checks on Katrina evacuees

buddylee
09-23-2005, 12:53 AM
And the NAACP crys foul!
Why is this a bad thing!
everyone know New Orleans had Highest murder rate in the country

HARRISBURG - Philadelphia is among several cities and states where law-enforcement officials are checking to see whether Hurricane Katrina evacuees have criminal backgrounds.

"The first, main concern is that we don't want to house or have a person that is wanted for murder, rape or robbery or some other serious incident," said Police Commissioner Sylvester M. Johnson. "The second thing is that we don't want any sex offenders around children that [are] going to be housed in the facilities that we're providing."

So far, Philadelphia police have found no fugitives or sex offenders among the roughly 60 evacuees living in the city, Johnson said.

More than 1,600 Katrina refugees have given the federal government a Pennsylvania address as they pursue disaster assistance, Pennsylvania Emergency Management Agency spokeswoman Maria Smith said yesterday.

It's unclear whether any Pennsylvania cities or counties besides Philadelphia, which accepted airlifted evacuees from the Federal Emergency Management Agency, are conducting background checks. In Pittsburgh, Allegheny County police referred questions to the Emergency Services Department, which did not return several messages seeking comment.

Larry Frankel, the Pennsylvania legislative director for the American Civil Liberties Union, said such checks can create a climate of fear that runs counter to the spirit of helping people whose lives have been uprooted by forces beyond their control.

He said there are serious questions whether the checks are being done in a consistent way, because Katrina victims who drive into the state, or who don't seek shelter from the government, may not be subject to them.

People should have a way to challenge government records for inaccuracies, Frankel said, adding that he worried the checks could be the first step toward refusing relief services to people with criminal histories.

"What I guess I'm uncomfortable with is the kind of ad hoc nature, that all of a sudden we're doing this," he said. A more reasonable approach, he said, would be to conduct hearings and allow people to weigh in before adopting a background-check policy.

The state Emergency Management Agency's executive director, Adrian R. King Jr., said state government was preparing to conduct the checks when Pennsylvania was in line to receive thousands of refugees, pursuant to a law requiring background checks for public-housing residents. But as it became apparent in recent days that such numbers would not materialize, the state decided to let local police agencies determine how the checks should be done.

Johnson said Philadelphia police are taking at their word the identities of benefits seekers who do not have driver's licenses or similar identification. Later, he said, the city may check with officials in the Gulf Coast to verify that the people receiving help were residents of areas affected by the storm.

Space
09-23-2005, 12:56 AM
2000 federal criminals were set free, many were child molestors, one kidnapped a 2 year old here in austin and raped the kid.

dont front on the facts.

buddylee
09-23-2005, 01:07 AM
Holy shit after 2 year of being on here I've found a Friend!

Space
09-23-2005, 01:20 AM
YO I GOT BUMS ON MY STREET GETTING 2000 DOLLARS IN DEBIT CARDS FOR BEING AT THE RIGHT PLACE AT THE RIGHT TIME...IE TAKING ADVANTAGE OF OUR PEOPLE GIVING TO THOSE IN NEED.

buddylee
09-23-2005, 01:23 AM
and spending it on Gucci Handbags

roosta
09-23-2005, 01:43 AM
if they were coming from some well-to-do white place would they run checks?

YoungRemy
09-23-2005, 08:47 AM
if they were coming from some well-to-do white place would they run checks?

it all depends,would they be looting, raping, and stealing in this well to do white place??

roosta
09-23-2005, 09:56 AM
it all depends,would they be looting, raping, and stealing in this well to do white place??

probably

CJM
09-23-2005, 11:08 AM
i think the backround checks are a good idea. the ones protesting are probably the ones with shady pasts. if i had a kid, i wouldn't want them anywhere near some sick-fuck child molester.

enree erzweglle
09-23-2005, 11:22 AM
I understand it also--if you're taking people into your home (and people are) then you should at least know a little bit about them.

It's SOP for the Red Cross to do background checks on the volunteers that they send into disaster areas. They have such a big push on right now to get people ready to help with Katrina (and Rita too, I guess) that they might be waiving that requirement or delaying it. I understand the need for it.

kll
09-23-2005, 11:32 AM
In this day of terrorism, natural disasters, murderers, rapists, molestors, etc. ... as a law-abiding citizen, I would be willing to go through whatever it took to ensure that I am safe, as well as make those around me comfortable... As someone said earlier, it's probably the ones with the shady pasts who are creating the 'fuss'... On an unrelated note, I'd be willing to go through strip searches at the airport if it guaranteed me a safe flight...

Bob
09-23-2005, 11:57 AM
I understand it also--if you're taking people into your home (and people are) then you should at least know a little bit about them.

exactly. you don't just let any stranger into your home, refugee or no. you just can't be too careful.