PDA

View Full Version : why white kids love hip hop

Cheguevara6
09-28-2005, 09:08 PM
Anyone read this book by Bakari Kitwana. Great read. One of the more interesting aspects is when he talks about how in the early 90's white youth felt angry and upset and alienated. Grunge like Nirvana or Pearl Jam filled the void. Once Kurt committed suicide they were without a voice. So the author claims that in 1995 mass amounts of white decended on hip hop because it was angry and political just as grunge was. Very interesting theory.
Anyone subscribe to this idea?
The author seems to suggest this is one reason why alot of whites permeate hip hop.

The Notorious LOL
09-28-2005, 09:16 PM
no, thats one of the corniest things Ive ever read.

Tzar
09-28-2005, 09:46 PM
was eminem around when Kurt died - cause if this author just said "white kids are into hip hop because of eminem"; i might believe it.

DipDipDive
09-28-2005, 09:47 PM
was eminem around when Kurt died - cause if this author just said "white kids are into hip hop because of eminem"; i might believe it.

Now THAT'S the dumbest thing I've ever read.

DroppinScience
09-28-2005, 09:49 PM
I find this doubtful at best. White kids have been into hip-hop since the mid-'80s.

Tzar
09-28-2005, 09:52 PM
Now THAT'S the dumbest thing I've ever read.
sure it is.
is it as dumb as echewta saying "goodbye" to the board...

nah well by white kids - i meant the white trash kids.

hmm... i can't explain myself but i know i'm right.

Mcmac
09-28-2005, 11:12 PM
i hate eminem but love hip hop

icy manipulator
09-28-2005, 11:22 PM
i hate eminem but love hip hop (y)

Bob
09-29-2005, 06:19 AM
Anyone read this book by Bakari Kitwana. Great read. One of the more interesting aspects is when he talks about how in the early 90's white youth felt angry and upset and alienated. Grunge like Nirvana or Pearl Jam filled the void. Once Kurt committed suicide they were without a voice. So the author claims that in 1995 mass amounts of white decended on hip hop because it was angry and political just as grunge was. Very interesting theory.
The author seems to suggest this is one reason why alot of whites permeate hip hop.

it's true there are a lot of grunge kids at rap shows

BangkokB
09-29-2005, 08:25 AM
He sounds like he's been in the 3rd chair of a "White Mans Guilt?" of a Sally Jesse show....But keep that craziness flowing, I'm loving it.

King PSYZ
09-29-2005, 09:44 AM
That's such a load of shit. I was into hip-hop far before grunge was even a style of music, it had nothing to do with being angry or alienated. Such a retarded view of "white" people, that we need an excuse to like anything but country and heavy metal.

g-mile7
09-29-2005, 02:06 PM
white kids love hip-hop cuz its something diffrent then to what they used to simple as that. It sounds good to them and it's something to identify with or rebel against the system. Theres no doubt white people can love hip-hop just as much as blacks, but there are some that just love it because they are trying to be like what they hear/see on TV.

mickill
09-29-2005, 02:21 PM
White kids love hip hop because hip hop is cool and they wanna be cool too.

Qdrop
09-29-2005, 02:26 PM

that's why YOU like it, mike! YOU!!

zorra_chiflada
09-29-2005, 08:14 PM
what's not to like about hip hop? it's cool. you don't need an excuse.

adam_f
09-29-2005, 08:21 PM
Originally posted by g-mile7
white kids love hip-hop cuz its something diffrent then to what they used to simple as that. It sounds good to them and it's something to identify with or rebel against the system. Theres no doubt white people can love hip-hop just as much as blacks, but there are some that just love it because they are trying to be like what they hear/see on TV.

It's true. I like hip hop because I grew up with it and it some bizarre, arcane way, I can identify with what they say. I may be a middle class white boy from pittsburgh, but listening to brooklyn mc's like Mos Def and Talib Kweli still resonate.

Not to mention my hoes ain't paid me in a minute. I'ma have to slap the mascara off they faces, na mean? See, I can identify with Ice-T now.

King PSYZ
09-29-2005, 08:26 PM
I personally don't know what got me into it, maybe because it was different. But I also know that I was into it from the earliest I can remember.

I think it has something to do with my parents making me watch every contemperary musical (xanadu, blues brothers, beat street, breakin' one and two, etc.) growing up and I latched on.

Kid Presentable
09-29-2005, 09:36 PM
It's expressive, more so and with greater purchase than clumsy analogies and lalala choruses.

Mcmac
09-30-2005, 01:35 AM

not true

well in my society its not

loving hip hop can be embarassing at times but i just like it coz of the music
plus things like it being different to all the pop charts crap and goth rock that every other fucker is good and knowing more about it than everyone else i know is good and frustrating at the time. like when i see a mate of mine go out and buy the fifty cent album because "it looked cool and had a cool cover"

checkyourprez
09-30-2005, 11:30 AM
maybe kids switched over because grunge sucked ass.

but on the real idk i just listen to good music, that doesnt mean all of hip hop, its just whats good. same thing with jazz, and rock, and jam bands. i just like good music, has nothing to do with grunge "dieing" and hip hop taking its place. thats a load of shit.

Monsieur Decuts
09-30-2005, 12:00 PM
hmmm let's see...what did MTV start marketing after grunge died down?
Its all marketing.

True heads found hip hop for their own reasons in their own ways, but the reality is it "caught on" because it began to be linked in many ways to things suburban kids loved.

It was/is a raping of the highest degree, sidestepping the core values of the art to reverse its effect and subvert the very audience it was inspiring.

K-nowledge
09-30-2005, 01:49 PM
I'm white and I was into whodini back in the day.

People sometimes read too much into shit.

g-mile7
09-30-2005, 02:06 PM
It's true. I like hip hop because I grew up with it and it some bizarre, arcane way, I can identify with what they say. I may be a middle class white boy from pittsburgh, but listening to brooklyn mc's like Mos Def and Talib Kweli still resonate.

Not to mention my hoes ain't paid me in a minute. I'ma have to slap the mascara off they faces, na mean? See, I can identify with Ice-T now.

hahaahaha

but yea come on now it's been happening (whites liking "black" music) look at rock(back then), look at jazz/swing(back then) its seeing a culture thats diffrent then yours, it's called curiousity and finding out you like it only nowadays you wont be prescuted for it by your fellow white peers, that was worst then anything a black would say back in the day.

So Ruff
09-30-2005, 06:33 PM
I honestly have no idea why it is I love hip-hop, and I couldn't explain why I do, no matter how hard I try to. Just so happens that I do.

mickill
09-30-2005, 08:54 PM
White kids wanna be hip like black people.

DIGI
09-30-2005, 09:01 PM
And black people wanna be hip like me.

mickill
09-30-2005, 09:07 PM
Irrelevant to this discussion, pasty.

dublirie04
09-30-2005, 09:19 PM
Why did white kids back in the day rebel to dance to the new sounds from Motown artists? Because it made them dance --- that era of analyzing whites and blacks with in musical culture seems more important. The music integrated kids that previously had been sheltered because of their parents generation being segregated. White or black, kids are into hip hop because it is a genre of music that has remained despite how it has been viewed by conservatives or compared to violent, gang street life. Its an expression of lifestyles and poetic creativity that some sheltered suburban white kids embrace as a way to escape "the norm" they are stuck in.

hardnox71
09-30-2005, 09:59 PM
You stupid. (among my group of friends 'stupid' means 'silly' or 'goofy.')

Now.....this has been one of the greatest arguments of all time.

"They wanna be cool."

"They are angry against the system and are trying to find a way to express their their pain."

"They're trying piss their parents off."

Bullshit. Now, there are some white kids out there that do fall into those catagories and many others. But for the most part I think white kids love hip hop because rap/hip hop consists of attitudes and tales that can be identified with by white youth and black youth and asain youth and hispanic youth and so on. Do you see the pattern? Sure there are alot of things that alot of white kids won't be able to identify with like like getting shot at or gangbanging......and neither will alot of the asain, black and hispanic kids. But there are alot of things that they will be able to identify with no matter what their station in life is. They shouldn't be required to identify with every single word on an album in order to go out and buy it and enjoy it.

Identifying with something does have it's boundaries, though. Wearing the clothes pumping the beats are one thing but a white boy walking down the street with that crazy leg gangsta limp talking all yo, yo,yo whaddup,B?.......and he's from fucking Phoenix.........c'mon. Be yourself. If you''re from the 'hood then that's fine (there are white boys in the 'hood, y'all) if not, then knock it the fuck off. That 'Malibu's Most Wanted' shit is annoying.

Everyone thinks you have to be from the hood to be 'true to the game.' Being true to yourself is being true to the game. Alot of people miss that.

dublirie04
09-30-2005, 10:06 PM
An example of liking hip hop and being "true to the game" would be my friend J. He sports the style he digs (punkish, mohawk, and baggy street fashion) yet you can find him throwing in an Alcoholics cd. by looking at him, one would probably not expect him to be a hip hop head. But he is.

hardnox71
09-30-2005, 10:36 PM
An example of liking hip hop and being "true to the game" would be my friend J. He sports the style he digs (punkish, mohawk, and baggy street fashion) yet you can find him throwing in an Alcoholics cd. by looking at him, one would probably not expect him to be a hip hop head. But he is.
That's exactly what I'm talking about. (y)

Kid Presentable
10-01-2005, 03:45 AM

That's awesome. I don't rock a skully, but I represent fully.

adam_f
10-01-2005, 05:59 AM
Originally posted by hardnox71
You stupid. (among my group of friends 'stupid' means 'silly' or 'goofy.')

Among my friends, def not only means 'good' or 'new' it also means 'Let's scream in Adam's right ear to see if his hearing will come back, all the while forgetting he can still hear them scream from his left ear'

mickill
10-01-2005, 05:22 PM
White kids love hip hop because black people are cool and they hope that by listening to it they'll become cool too.

BeastieLips
10-01-2005, 07:32 PM
white kids love hip-hop and disc jocks
go-karts and fist fights
getting drunk on bud
getting high like a pitch pipe
are you an mc chris type?
a hip-hop lovin' half pint?

anyways, white kids love hip hop because it's some of the best music being made right now. asians and mexicans also like hip hop but you don't see PBS specials being made about it. plenty of white kids actually hate hip hop (imagine that, you can't make a generalization of an entire race about tastes in music). i think the bigger issue is the possiblity of black people loving country music. i know there has to be a couple. these are the people that society needs to be concerned about.

King PSYZ
10-01-2005, 07:38 PM
society needs to be a little more worried it still uses race to determine a divide.

DroppinScience
10-01-2005, 07:50 PM
society needs to be a little more worried it still uses race to determine a divide.

So true. Why do you have to be (insert color of skin) to enjoy (insert genre of music). It's the most ridiculous thing. :confused:

mickill
10-01-2005, 09:39 PM
Black kids like country because white people are cool and they want to be cool too.

nobbus
10-03-2005, 06:54 AM
white kids like hip hop because its marketed at them.

Kid Presentable
10-03-2005, 08:47 AM
white kids like hip hop because its marketed at them.

How?

mickill
10-03-2005, 08:55 AM
Asian kids like hip hop because white people are cool and they want to be cool by listening to the same music as white people.

Tzar
10-03-2005, 09:15 AM
Asian kids like hip hop because white people are cool and they want to be cool by listening to the same music as white people.
pahahaha what the fuck...

Kid Presentable
10-03-2005, 09:18 AM

Actually, reverse that shit and you gots the reason I started playing video games.

BroomHead
10-03-2005, 01:37 PM
White kids love hip hop because black people are cool and they hope that by listening to it they'll become cool too.

Well, in my school, you get riduculed for liking hiphop. And I'm from Canada of all places, not down south or anything like that. It's really depressing to go to my school though because I remember a few years ago, everyone was in love with Eminem, and the whole Aftermath era of the early 2000s. Music works in trends where I live, and it's sad because I can never find someone to talk about music with. :(

woodenflower
10-15-2005, 04:22 AM
Well first of all, hip hop has a tendancy to be angry and rebellious, and most people (if not every1) can relate to that. Hip Hop also has the nost complex rhye patterns in human history, and I predict it will eventually studied in school (right along with poetry in English class). The one thing that bothers me is that so many "white people" that suposedly only like rock, love The Beastie Boys, Eminem, Bloodhound gang, etc. I hate to say it but this might be caused by racism at a subconcious level. Perhaps "white people" can feel they can relate to it because a "white boy" is doin it. What really bothers me though is that the Beastie boys, House of pain, and even Eminem is played on the rock stations. The only reason I can think of for this is that radio stations play what they think what their audience will like and in this case, what their listeners will like and that is "white rappers." this pisses me off. Its crazy, the alternative/rock stations in my area only play hip hop artists that are white (except Cypress Hill, they have a stoner apeal that every that many people from many backgrounds can relate too).

I guess put "white people" in quotes cuz this only aplys to some white people. I am white/chines and i love hip hop. Besides the phat beats, I have found that I agree with what a lot of rappers talk about. I swear, KRS-1, Talib Kwali, Dead Prez, and so many others talk about the same things I talk about with my freinds.

B_Mackin'
10-17-2005, 12:49 PM
umm did anyone say this

white kids love hip hop because of these three white guys from NYC that dropped some hot shit back in 1986 and are still going at it. I forgot their names buy maybe someone can help me out?

kotton
06-03-2006, 06:48 PM

partly true.
a lot of white kids turned 2 hip-hop after death of Cobain, but cause of TV stopped playing heavy music and started 2 broadcast more hip-hop and pop. so in comparison 2 pop, hip-hop is more rebel.
but still saying white kids love hip-hop is funny, cause they also like different music genres (techno, metal etc) so why underlining only hip-hop...

Lo_Lyfe
06-03-2006, 08:37 PM
Fuck you.

Lex Diamonds
06-04-2006, 09:55 AM
This is one of the stupidest concepts I've ever heard. Firstly, referring to "white kids" as a group like that is fucking moronic. Are these fools forgetting that there are BILLIONS of "white kids", from different countries across the globe, in varying economic, educational, and cultural conditions. The world doesn't revolve around your shitty middle class Rhode Island suburb, asshole.

Being a hip hop fan doesn't mean you ONLY listen to hip hop. When you listen to a genre of music it's not the only music you ever hear. I listen to what those social commentator pricks would call black music AND white music. An Asian person could listen to music by white people and black people, and nothing made by Asians, but who gives a fuck? It's got fuck all to do with being a rebel or trying to be something you're not. It's just the fucking music you want to listen to. Fuck!

And of course you can identify with the message, that's the whole point of this kind of music. With G-rap for example. Someone talking about their experiences on the street and the listener understanding their emotions/feelings is not the same as the listener thinking they know about gangstas. The songs are not aimed solely at gangstas, that would be stupid and earn them no money. These stupid racist self-important analyst pricks have got it twisted, they want all white people to listen to Frank Sinatra and all black people to listen to Bobby Womack. I for one don't let any of these fucks guide me or tell me what I can and can't do, and I hope nobody else does. Fuck the establishment in it's big boring arse.

GetYourWarOn
06-05-2006, 11:51 PM
it's just music. same as any other genre. the fact that some kids get caught up in it by dressing/talking the part is no surpise...kids tend to do that sort of thing.

Randetica
06-06-2006, 12:04 AM
padster knows

ggirlballa
06-06-2006, 12:06 AM
umm did anyone say this

white kids love hip hop because of these three white guys from NYC that dropped some hot shit back in 1986 and are still going at it. I forgot their names buy maybe someone can help me out?

oh those crazy fools!!!(y) :D :cool:

Waus
06-06-2006, 12:29 AM
Fuck the establishment in it's big boring arse.

Damn the man.

Hip hop is just another genre. I don't pretend I'm a gangsta, but I like the music. I went to a White Stripes concert in Detroit, and this big black dude in a sweater was rocking out right next to me...white kids like hip hop for the same reasons black guys like rock - it's good music.

gaselite
06-06-2006, 04:57 AM
Goddamn, I think it can be simplified a bit more. It doesn't even have to be in racial terms, this is my take on the situation:

White guys (like me) love hip hop for the same reason black kids love hip hop: Because they both think it's good fucking music.

Can't we just leave it at that?