PDA

View Full Version : attn:old people

voltanapricot
09-30-2005, 02:38 PM
Well, I say old, but I mean older than me. Hah.

Here's the thing, I'm the girl that plans to be spontaneous, I'm the girl that planned everything in her life so it could lead up to one point, an ambition, I'm obsessive.

Now things are going a bit tits up and damnit I was just wondering what people were like my age, you know, did you ever believe you were meant to do something, but now you're glad you gave up that dream? Maybe it was unattainable after all? Any regrets?

I can't believe I'm spending Friday night googling uni courses.

*stabs eye*

Echewta
09-30-2005, 02:41 PM
Just plan on being happy. Life is much easier that way.

voltanapricot
09-30-2005, 02:47 PM
I have no idea what would make me happy. Well, I do, but I probably won't get there, because I have such high expectations to start with.

wanton wench
09-30-2005, 02:58 PM
lower your expectations and you will always be happy! :rolleyes:

voltanapricot
09-30-2005, 03:01 PM
Thanks, but I realise that's a problem, but it's just the way I am. Argh.

I'm so paranoid about being all insertnamehere.

abcdefz
09-30-2005, 03:01 PM
If you know you know you know you know you know you know unwaveringly what you want, and it's not grow-a-third-ear impossible, never give up.

Lemmy's Liver
09-30-2005, 03:53 PM
look at me as a living example of going nowhere for 30+ years and always winding up somewhere (y)

Echewta
09-30-2005, 04:03 PM
^ (y)

Freebasser
09-30-2005, 04:53 PM
I acheived my dream of studying graphic design at Uni, and now that I've been there a few years I realise I don't want anything to do with graphic design ever again.

It isn't worth planning your future out too much, because shit always happens.

ToucanSpam
09-30-2005, 05:12 PM
I've always wanted to be a teacher, since I was 7. Now, in my second year of my program, I feel the exact same, if not more excited. I'm lucky though....

My suggestion is find something you can stand to do for 30 years and do it.

Lemmy's Liver
09-30-2005, 07:15 PM
My suggestion is find something you can stand to do for 30 years and do it.
you got it babe

freeloading, bumming around, pondering and copulating. (y)

BionicEye
09-30-2005, 08:08 PM
drinkin, smokin, eatin', shittin', sleepin', fornicatin'

Ace42X
09-30-2005, 08:47 PM
did you ever believe you were meant to do something, but now you're glad you gave up that dream? Maybe it was unattainable after all? Any regrets?

My university course crushed any desire to work in the subject that I had out of me. University is a great (and expensive) way of discovering that no matter how much you like your subject, you sure as hell don't want to do work in it.

I don't know anyone who has been able to get a job in their field, even if they *wanted* to. Don't expect uni to give you any answers.

Rancid_Beasties
09-30-2005, 08:57 PM
Don't worry, I'm sure theres alot of people in the same position as you (and me). Except I've never even had a vague idea of what I want to do. I dont think I want to be a lawyer...even though I've told myself I'll keep doing it at uni as long as I pass. I don't have the know how, or the connections or anything really to actually be a full time musician...even though I'm a decent singer. I seem to enjoy physical labour more than using my brain which kinda sucks because theres no decent paying jobs in that sort of area. Meh...I can't even advise myself so the best thing I can say is that you are not alone :)

guerillaGardner
09-30-2005, 11:44 PM
Things I would have done differently if I could go back to my younger days, knowing what I know now.

1) I'd have spent less, or actually no time at all, in bad pubs and dance clubs (which is all pubs and dance clubs). Rather than going out partying why not flush all your money down the toilet and punch yourself in the head until you wake up next morning with a migraine. It cuts out the hassle and gets straight to the point.

2) I'd have been more selective in my choice of friends.

3) I wouldn't have believed myself to be reliant on shitty jobs. I wouldn't have done work that ruined my life.

4) I'd have got on the property ladder as soon as possible. I'd have just bought what I could have afforded and gradually worked my way up to something decent so that I was sitting on a nice little equity by now.

5) I'd have chosen a career path based on what I really wanted to do and what really excited me, what I'd do all the time even if I wasn't getting paid for it - not stuck to the safest path based on money and security. I'd have realised everything else is a distraction.

voltanapricot
10-01-2005, 03:54 AM
Lemmy's Liver: You move around quite a bit for work don't you? You sound happy without any idea as to where you're going to end up!

I've always wanted to be a teacher, since I was 7. Now, in my second year of my program, I feel the exact same, if not more excited. I'm lucky though....

Yeah, I'm the same in that I've always felt like I've known where I want to go but now I'm a bit apprehensive.

I don't know anyone who has been able to get a job in their field, even if they *wanted* to. Don't expect uni to give you any answers.
Hrm yeah, that's just it. I think I'm looking at university as something like a pathway to a "vocation" in life.

So I guess what I'm feeling is perfectly normal, huh?

roosta
10-01-2005, 03:56 AM
i know tonnes of people who have no intention of working in the field they studied at college.

to quote larry fishbourne in john singletons "higher learning", "the point behind college is to learn to think for yourself"

Ace42X
10-01-2005, 04:05 AM
"the point behind college is to learn to think for yourself"

Doesn't apply to anyone I've ever met in college or university. The people who haven't conformed to a very static and typical pattern of learning have been the people to tank. Here, at least, University rewards regurgitating what they expect to hear.

miss_bhaven
10-01-2005, 04:12 AM
It isn't worth planning your future out too much, because shit always happens.

Yup :( I started to plan my future...now my dreams are starting to crumble all because shit happens.

Tzar
10-01-2005, 04:17 AM
Yup :( I started to plan my future...now my dreams are starting to crumble all because shit happens.
*jumps on rach's back and bear hugs her from behind*

miss_bhaven
10-01-2005, 04:25 AM
*jumps on rach's back and bear hugs her from behind*

Awww :) Hehehe thx.

Nadia
10-01-2005, 04:33 AM
Well, I say old, but I mean older than me. Hah.

Here's the thing, I'm the girl that plans to be spontaneous, I'm the girl that planned everything in her life so it could lead up to one point, an ambition, I'm obsessive.

Now things are going a bit tits up and damnit I was just wondering what people were like my age, you know, did you ever believe you were meant to do something, but now you're glad you gave up that dream? Maybe it was unattainable after all? Any regrets?

I can't believe I'm spending Friday night googling uni courses.

*stabs eye*

what do you mean by "older"? to know if i'm older than you, i should know how old are YOU... ;)
anyway, i don't regret anything in my life. even the big big big mistakes. cos you're supposed to learn something in your life, and "mistakes" are the best way to do it. and finally i gave up my f***ing boring job in the office and became an animal communicator. it's never too late to start living your dreams! :)

Lemmy's Liver
10-01-2005, 06:42 AM
Lemmy's Liver: You move around quite a bit for work don't you? You sound happy without any idea as to where you're going to end up!

yepp. well, not "for" work, but I guess after leaving Finland I sort of HAVE to go where I can get a decent job. Berlin is horrible with the unemployment numbers, I mean people are literally fighting to get a shit job here. don't wanna work in a shit bar for 5 euros/hour. not my job anyway and about the only thing you can imagine getting here. so now it's time to move again. next week, to be more precise. (y)

enree erzweglle
10-01-2005, 06:46 AM
The only people that I know who are actually making a strong living in the fields they studied in college & grad school were brainchild, Rhodes Scholars types; it was obvious when they were like 12 what they'd be doing for the rest of their lives and they're doing it.

They say that you should find something that you're passionate about and find a way to get paid enough to do that and support your lifestyle.

Not an easy thing to do, especially if the field is saturated or obscure, or if you love doing it but you don't excel in it.

Two of my passions are not in high demand, especially because I'm not hugely gifted in them. But they are two of the probably three or four things that I'm passionate about in my life. To make a living at these things, I'd have to be in that group of people in that first paragraph above; I'm not. It's probably a gift that I realize that and haven't spent the better part of my life chasing something that I can't reach.

So I have a job that I'm good at and that offers me some benefits--namely, flexibility so that I can do those things that I am passionate about outside of that job. I don't love the job; I don't hate it either. I don't have any expectations that it'll move me closer to physics or dance. I'm okay with that. It provides the means for me to support my lifestyle and still have enough of me left over to enjoy myself.

Tzar
10-01-2005, 07:38 AM
rach (miss_bhaven) reckons Harrison Ford is hot for an old guy.

scotty
10-01-2005, 07:54 AM
It took me ages to figure out what I wanted to do (I be 31 now). I spent a good part of my youth (and a fuckload of money) using my first uni course to pissfart around getting drunk, stoned, laid and playing in awful punk bands. After a while, though, it just came to me what I wanted, and it was a no-brainer considering my interests (nature and stuff) and now I'm as happy as a paralysis tick buried in someones groin. The added bonus is I'm pretty good at it and there is a demand for it.

TurdBerglar
10-01-2005, 09:19 AM
i've never had hopes and dreams

Lindsey_1535
10-01-2005, 09:21 AM
i've never had hopes and dreams
me neither it just makes for a bigger let down. :(

ToucanSpam
10-01-2005, 10:29 AM
There's nothing wrong with not knowing where you're going to end up, nor is there anything wrong with questioning whether or not the career you chose was really the one that suits you best. People go in and out of university/college/jobs all the time, but eventually most people find what they want. If anything it's good to be a little unsure, it shows that you're thinking and not just doing what you think you should do.

zorra_chiflada
10-01-2005, 04:52 PM
my life has been much more of a disappointing balls-up than yours, clo :(

kezz
10-01-2005, 10:27 PM
im in that random "what the hell am i doing with my life" phase. again. ive done a degree, ive gone overseas, ive been working crappy retail jobs. im studying again and trying to get another crappy retail job.

it kinda sucks seeing everyone you went to school or uni with and they have these fantastic jobs and money. but then i think "meh".

ive never been that concerned about earning heaps of money. and i know that one day i'll finish this course and find a decent job etc etc... dont rush into anything. you've got your whole life to figure things out

hardnox71
10-01-2005, 11:22 PM
Someone once told me that life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.

Most of the people I know are not working in the field they majored in. They got a job in their field and soon discovered that they couldn't stand it and they switched to something else.

Me? I never went to college. I knew coming out of highschool that I was just going to fuck that shit all up so I didn't even bother going. And I had no idea what I wanted to do. Someone here said, 'find something you want to do for the next thirty years.' How are you going to know what that is until you've been doing it for thrity years? I love what I do right now (commodities market-10 years) but I don't know how I'm gonna feel about it ten years from now. I might want out. Which leads me to another point.......

Trying to plan for something is more often that not a futile effort. Most of the people I know who are happy as a clam doing what they do happened to stumble into it. No forethought or planning involved. They knew a guy who knew a guy who was looking for someone who knew how to this and that and blah, blah, blah. And bingo. They stumble into a job that they've never considered but happen to love. That's how I got to the Chicago Board of Trade. I never thought about the market ten years ago mainly because it deals with numbers. I've always been bad at numbers. Horrible. In school I got as far as geometry and they made stop taking math courses for my last two years and made me take electives because my G.P.A was getting massacared. So the last thing in the world I thought I would be doing when I got older was working with numbers. But that's what I do now. Percentages. Fractions. Ticks. Half ticks. I deal with this shit all day every day and it just so happens I stumbled assbackwards into this job. Like I said.....so much for making plans.

roosta
10-02-2005, 03:22 AM
voltane's a she!?

so she claims

Ace42X
10-02-2005, 04:05 AM
Someone once told me that life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.

Someone who was quoting John Lennon I believe...

hardnox71
10-02-2005, 09:33 AM
Someone who was quoting John Lennon I believe...
Is that where that came from? I never knew the source but I always liked it. The irony always made me laugh.

Ace42X
10-02-2005, 09:34 AM
Is that where that came from?

I believe so.

ToucanSpam
10-02-2005, 09:35 AM
voltane's a she!?
It's hard to tell. What with the multi-colored skin and ogre-like properties it has.

mickill
10-02-2005, 10:53 AM
Stabbing your eye won't help.

You shouldn't give up on something unless it doesn't matter to you anymore. Try to go with your gut instinct. If your gut tells you that something isn't worth devoting that much of yourself to, try to listen. But don't try to steer your instincts; you should, of course, still use your head, but don't ignore your heart. Dreaming is essential to living.

A wise Hollywood mogul once said: "Every man dies, not every man really lives."

ToucanSpam
10-02-2005, 11:08 AM
A wise Hollywood mogul once said: "Every man dies, not every man really lives."

Mel Gibson, Braveheart 1994

voltanapricot
10-02-2005, 11:09 AM
it kinda sucks seeing everyone you went to school or uni with and they have these fantastic jobs and money. but then i think "meh".
Oh it's not that I'm thinking "damn I want to be rich but I don't know if I can make it!" it's more a case of setting myself high and getting nowhere.

You shouldn't give up on something unless it doesn't matter to you anymore. Try to go with your gut instinct. If your gut tells you that something isn't worth devoting that much of yourself to, try to listen.
You're right. I'll go with what I feel. I know now how I'm going to go about it and I'm feeling a lot less frightened and pressured now, wayhey!

Thanks a lot everybody.

Especially Norcen, I butch it up 'spesh for you, buttercup. (!)

mickill
10-02-2005, 11:23 AM
Mel Gibson, Braveheart 1994
Yes, thank you for sparing everyone the anguish of not knowing who I was referring to. For your next trick, perhaps you can tell Snoop what his muthafuckin name is.

ToucanSpam
10-02-2005, 11:25 AM
Yes, thank you for sparing everyone the anguish of not knowing who I was referring to. For your next trick, perhaps you can tell Snoop what his muthafuckin name is.
Sorry, I'm a one-trick pony.

Besides, my parents just finished watching that upstairs. Plus I like to point out the few things I know.

voltanapricot
10-02-2005, 11:26 AM
Yeah, whilst I must admit I would love an Encyclopedic knowledge, that really did spoil the effect. :(

roosta
10-02-2005, 04:49 PM
clo, you can be whatever you want to be

except likeable
OH SNAP SNAP SNAP SNAP SUPER PSYCHE SNAP

Bob
10-02-2005, 04:52 PM
hahaha

zippo
10-02-2005, 11:13 PM
so many negative people here...what a shame! :(