PDA

View Full Version : How to tell a woman she has HORRIBLE taste in clothes

BionicEye
10-01-2005, 03:52 PM
I have a friend who's very pretty but she has the most AWFUL taste in clothes. I mean t-e-r-r-i-b-l-e. I really really like her but i feel bad for her. this isnt something that's easy to ignore, like yesterday when she was wearing this hideous bright purple shirt thing that looked like drapes with hanging whispy things coming off of it everywhere. with a lime green bag. yikes. usually she'll just wear fairly nice clothes that are completely mismatched, which is alright i guess but every once in a while she'll bust out some funky blouse that my GRANDMOTHER wouldn't wear... brown with a pattern that looks like olives or some shit. here's the killer though. i think her friends secretly hate her or something, because its those days that she'll tell me how many compliments she got at work. i can't possibly see anyone liking that.

maybe i'm wrong, but i feel like the poor girl makes herself look like an idiot.

should i just zip my lip or try to help?

paul jones
10-01-2005, 03:57 PM
we need pics

King PSYZ
10-01-2005, 04:12 PM
if she's happy, fuck it leave her alone.

BionicEye
10-01-2005, 04:17 PM
Like This Shirt (http://a103.g.akamai.net/7/103/1366/e3122b48f97fb6/lanebryant.charmingshoppes.com/assets/images/lb/products/detail/L1007603_d.jpg)

Or This Thing (http://a103.g.akamai.net/7/103/1366/9d18869ad1d709/lanebryant.charmingshoppes.com/assets/images/lb/products/detail/L1007722_d.jpg)

*Shiver* (http://a103.g.akamai.net/7/103/1366/684f43da4080a1/lanebryant.charmingshoppes.com/assets/images/lb/products/detail/L1008233_d.jpg)

TAL
10-01-2005, 04:20 PM
What's her name?

Anyway, what Psyz said.

BionicEye
10-01-2005, 04:22 PM
as an aside, she thinks that people are mostly jerks to her. i think the people at work must be mocking her by complimenting something so ugly. who cares i guess, except i hate to see my friend being laughed at.

King PSYZ
10-01-2005, 04:35 PM
well someone's making them and someone's buying them so i guess some people like em and just leave it at that.

it's not like she's making them in her own underground sweatshop or something.

ToucanSpam
10-01-2005, 04:40 PM
those are ugly shirts.

Just be blunt. Straight up 'Hey, your choice in attire is disgusting.' But be nice.

BionicEye
10-01-2005, 05:25 PM
the trouble is she believes all the jerks that compliment her ugliest outfits.

Justin
10-01-2005, 11:18 PM
Buy her an outfit you think she would look good in. Be careful though, she could begin to hate you

yeahwho
10-01-2005, 11:28 PM
Does she put out?

GetYourWarOn
10-01-2005, 11:30 PM
don't say a FUCKING word. only bad things can come from telling her your opinion.

GetYourWarOn
10-01-2005, 11:30 PM
i mean it, bioniceye. keep your fucking mouth shut. believe this.

DandyFop
10-02-2005, 12:37 AM
the trouble is she believes all the jerks that compliment her ugliest outfits.

Ugh.

I wouldn't say anything if I were you. Being someone who used to wear crazy ass shit, I was completely happy with it because I thought it made me unique, and odds are, that's how she feels. If she's happy then who gives a shit. Should she really change her style just to appease you? You're the one who's coming off sounding stupid in this situation.

I would say the only way to do anything would be go shopping and suggest a few things that she might not usually try - say, hey that would look great on you and see what she says. Or try and get her on What Not To Wear - but other than that, shut it. I mean, think about one of your friends saying you have horrible taste in clothing - that's gonna hurt.

Medellia
10-02-2005, 12:44 AM
Like This Shirt (http://a103.g.akamai.net/7/103/1366/e3122b48f97fb6/lanebryant.charmingshoppes.com/assets/images/lb/products/detail/L1007603_d.jpg)

Or This Thing (http://a103.g.akamai.net/7/103/1366/9d18869ad1d709/lanebryant.charmingshoppes.com/assets/images/lb/products/detail/L1007722_d.jpg)

*Shiver* (http://a103.g.akamai.net/7/103/1366/684f43da4080a1/lanebryant.charmingshoppes.com/assets/images/lb/products/detail/L1008233_d.jpg)
Not that that stuff is very good looking, but I think those kinds of shirts are a bit trendy at the moment. I don't know why. I've seen lots of people wearing those. And most of them are pretty young, kinda skanky chicks. :confused:

GetYourWarOn
10-02-2005, 12:49 AM
she's still got a vagina right? don't worry about it.

BionicEye
10-02-2005, 12:53 AM
i would appreciate it and be open to their suggestions - if it came from a friend i'd take it into consideration. ex. i used to get my hair cut by a crappy barber, but i thought it looked great. my friends showed me pics and taunted me. i got a different barber and a different haircut. boom. they were right. no, i wouldnt want to hurt my friend's feelings.

its sort of like, do you tell your friend that they've hard a big piece of spinach in their teeth or do you 'not hurt their feelings'? like would you tell your friend they stink if they stopped showering? is it easy to ignore overgrown nose hair? eh whatever.

GetYourWarOn
10-02-2005, 01:12 AM
i would appreciate it and be open to their suggestions - if it came from a friend i'd take it into consideration. ex. i used to get my hair cut by a crappy barber, but i thought it looked great. my friends showed me pics and taunted me. i got a different barber and a different haircut. boom. they were right. no, i wouldnt want to hurt my friend's feelings.

its sort of like, do you tell your friend that they've hard a big piece of spinach in their teeth or do you 'not hurt their feelings'? like would you tell your friend they stink if they stopped showering? is it easy to ignore overgrown nose hair? eh whatever.

damn, women just don't think like this. i mean maybe they do, but we just arent' able to convey these feelings in a way that doesn't make us look like assholes. just tell her that her hair looks great and you will be better off.

miss_bhaven
10-02-2005, 01:19 AM
That style is rank...you need to tell her a.s.a.p - a true friend tells the truth. She needs to hear it (but be polite)...if she takes it the wrong way, well at least you tried...Maybe she thinks dressing in a unique way will get her attention...tell her that's not the way. Take her out shopping, point out a few things that may look good on her. I know that if I went to buy something and it honestly didn't look good on me - I'd want my mates to tell me before I start wearing it out in public! She may be happy with herself and what she wears, but if people are pretending to like her...she'll find out soon it's all lies and she'll be devo. You must tell her this, before she starts to make even more of a fool of herself. Though, I guess some people on this thread have a point - she probably is happy with what she wears and doesn't want to change...I guess it's her own choice. But as a mate, it's important you tell her what you think. Good luck hun (y)

DandyFop
10-02-2005, 01:32 AM

Yeah, but someone getting spinach stuck in their teeth is an accident - of course you tell someone that! It's not like she conciously decided that day to put that in there.

On a side not, why is it always spinach? How many people eat spinach, especially when they are out with friends? Sorry, just blabbering

The stinking is along the lines of hygiene which is also much different from wardrobe choice. If you really think she's being hurt by this, tell her, but I would try the other ways first.

Medellia
10-02-2005, 01:39 AM
On a side not, why is it always spinach? How many people eat spinach, especially when they are out with friends? Sorry, just blabbering
I do. Spinach salas is gooooood. But I've never walked out of a restraunt with a huge chunk of spinach in my teeth. I guess that only happens with cooked spinach?

DandyFop
10-02-2005, 01:44 AM
But I've never walked out of a restraunt with a huge chunk of spinach in my teeth.

How do you know...maybe your friend was too scared to tell you... :p

Medellia
10-02-2005, 01:45 AM
How do you know...maybe your friend was too scared to tell you... :p
Because I always check to make sure. :p

BionicEye
10-02-2005, 06:59 AM
said girl just called to tell me she woke up after a birthday party at a coworkers apt, on his couch and covered in vomit & this poop spray she bought him for his birthday and some guy trying to make out with her. she needs help. :( (n) :( (n) :(

the timing on this is very ironic ...

she woke me up to tell me this. why the hell would she call me at 7am to tell me about this? i was really sad and sort of pissed to hear about it, but what do you say to someone when they wake you up to tell you a story like that?

Ace42X
10-02-2005, 07:13 AM
She should find someone stable to date that won't elave her in these vulnerable positions. She should find a guy through an adult online personal site, and then exchange nude pix and do live performances on her webcam. Much safer.

BionicEye
10-02-2005, 07:19 AM
this is why i'm glad to just be a friend and not to bedating her. i meet my ladies at www.twistyournipplewhileilickyourbellybutton.com .

kingpsyz - i guess - maybe youd feel different if you saw her
toucan - i know, i'd like to be honest, but honesty doesnt seem to get one anywhere. everyone who says she'd be offended is right.
justin - that could be a good idea
yeahwho - i wouldnt care if she did - the answer is probably
getyourwaron - youre probably right
getyourwaron - i hear you i think its impossible to not come off as an asshole
dandy - i think she is probably hurt by it which is why im bringing it up.
medellia - i hope she doesnt fall into the skank category
missbehavin - i agree except shes not going for the unique look, i think shes trying to fit in. shes fairly pretty, i dont know why she's so off

enree erzweglle
10-02-2005, 08:16 AM
In your situation, I wouldn't interfere. If she likes what she wears and I like her company, I'd let it go.

DandyFop
10-02-2005, 10:51 AM
said girl just called to tell me she woke up after a birthday party at a coworkers apt, on his couch and covered in vomit & this poop spray she bought him for his birthday and some guy trying to make out with her. she needs help. :( (n) :( (n) :(

??? This story makes no sense to me, and also, what does this have to do with what she wears?

ToucanSpam
10-02-2005, 11:12 AM
??? This story makes no sense to me, and also, what does this have to do with what she wears?
The girl woke up covered in vomit and the spray you use to reduce the smell of shit. Some guy was on top of her trying to shove his tongue down her throat.

At least that's what I got.

voltanapricot
10-02-2005, 11:20 AM
I work in a clothes store and some women buy some things that look rank on them, dead unflattering. Not that I would say anything, but they're obviously happy looking the way they do. If people ask for opinions then yeah, I'll pick what I reckon would look better. When the opportunity arises (i.e. shopping) go about it tactfully if it bothers you so much.

I'll bet she's a really lovely girl sans the apparant bad taste, try and look past it.

BionicEye
10-02-2005, 12:12 PM
The girl woke up covered in vomit and the spray you use to reduce the smell of shit. Some guy was on top of her trying to shove his tongue down her throat.

At least that's what I got.

yes. except it was this fake poops spray. i mentioned it because i had brought up how her cowerkers are assholes to her. she was probably wearing one of these aweful outfils

DandyFop
10-02-2005, 05:51 PM
This story still doesn't make any sense - fake poop spray?

And p.s. if her coworkers are assholes to her because of the way she dresses, they are probably just assholes all around.

Bob
10-02-2005, 05:57 PM
...was it at least her vomit?

Auton
10-02-2005, 05:58 PM
leave her alone. what do you want anyway? a gap model? let her wear what she wants.... you wouldn't like it if one day she told you "hey, you're a great guy... but dude, you are the worst dresser of all time." no offense, but she doesn't need your advice.

BionicEye
10-02-2005, 08:53 PM
yes it was her own vomit (she thinks)... it was fake poop spray, a birthday present she bought for the guy from a gag store - which they used on her. yeah i think the people she hangs with are assholes. no i wasnt talking about a gap model, just a friend who's lost touch i think.

miss_bhaven
10-02-2005, 10:23 PM
missbehavin - i agree except shes not going for the unique look, i think shes trying to fit in. shes fairly pretty, i dont know why she's so off

Yeah but if she's trying to 'fit in', wouldn't she try to dress like every other person instead of being 'unique'?... You get what im saying dude? :confused:

miss_bhaven
10-02-2005, 10:28 PM
she doesn't need your advice.

Every friendship needs advice thrown into it. Fair enough if you didn't know the person. But best mates should be able to let one another know the truth...Otherwise where's the friendship in that? Do you know what I'm trying to get at Auton?

steve-onpoint
10-03-2005, 12:29 AM
fill her chest of drawers with various halloween costumes.

BionicEye
10-03-2005, 08:36 AM
^^^
they already are.

poor girl broke her foot during the drunkeness/poopspray/vomit incident. i took off work to help her out.

miss_bhaven
10-03-2005, 09:06 AM
i took off work to help her out.

True friend right there (y)!

ToucanSpam
10-03-2005, 09:14 AM
True friend right there (y)!
Now is the time to pull the trigger!!!!!

Nuzzolese
10-03-2005, 11:35 AM
I honestly kind of like those shirts.

DandyFop
10-03-2005, 11:39 AM
Yeah I didn't think they were too bad either.

Nuzzolese
10-03-2005, 11:43 AM
Maybe I have horrible taste in clothes and no one is telling me.

DandyFop
10-03-2005, 11:44 AM
Well you'd better change it right now, because that's why people treat you like assholes and spray fake poop on you and try to make out with you when you are passed out!

enree erzweglle
10-03-2005, 11:46 AM
I see lots of that style of shirt in stores.

I usually wind up looking pregnant in empire waists, so I've always avoided them--even when I was pregnant.

I liked the third (orange) shirt best of all. I don't think I'd wear it now, though, but I like it and I liked it when it was first out. (My sister had a great shirt in that style/pattern except hers was blue. I was ~7 or 8 and loved that shirt, but I was too young for it.)

armyofme
10-03-2005, 11:48 AM
I usually wind up looking pregnant in empire waists, so I've always avoided them--even when I was pregnant.

Ditto.

Hey how about this. How about you dont give a shit what the girl wears and get on with your OWN life and your OWN lack of fashion sense, eh?

It's people like this that keep Donatella Versace in business.

Nuzzolese
10-03-2005, 01:18 PM
Bionic Eye to Donatella Versace? That was quite a leap.

Where do you get fake poop in a spray can?

little j
10-03-2005, 08:48 PM
i'd be honest andsay something like "that shirt is really pretty but it doesn't really flatter your figure very well" or tell her "you would look so good in (insert type of shirt here)"

could work

BionicEye
10-04-2005, 08:48 AM
i'd be honest andsay something like "that shirt is really pretty but it doesn't really flatter your figure very well" or tell her "you would look so good in (insert type of shirt here)"

could work

i think this approach would work best, its true. i don't think i know everything at all, but i do have enough basic sense to know that those clothes look terrible. i was just trying to be helpful - maybe its just better to not tell people what you think and just talk just keep it light all the time.

Nuzzolese
10-04-2005, 08:51 AM
I never thought most duders cared about a woman's fashion, just as long as it wasn't showing her body unflatteringly. Maybe she thinks the best way to get her personality across is by wearing unique clothes, and she's afraid that if she didn't try so hard to look interesting, then people might assume that her personality wasn't very interesting.

BionicEye
10-04-2005, 10:26 AM
i honestly dont think she's trying to make a statement. she just wants to look decent. it should be said that she shops at lane bryant and she often complains that their clothes suck and she has a hard time finding things she likes there. when it comes to casual dressing, its not that bad. its when she tries to dress up for something more formal that i cringe.

wanton wench
10-04-2005, 02:48 PM
wouldnt you be more worried about her hanging out with a bunch of assholes rather than what she is wearing when she is hanging out with assholes?

just a thought! from the outside! ya know!

BionicEye
10-04-2005, 03:02 PM
yeah i am, but she works with them so she has to hang out with them anyways. plus if suggesting a change in clothes creates such an uproar, don't you think asking someone to change their social life could be worse? ya know?

DandyFop
10-04-2005, 03:04 PM
No, she might see "hey those guys are assholes, why do you hang out with them" as something nice. You should give it a shot.

CiaoBella
10-04-2005, 03:05 PM
Her clothes may suck, but can she pull it off? You know...does she wear it well and with confidence? If that is the case who cares...she bought it cuz she likes it and she rocks it. There are times I leave the house and dont match and could care less.

PS
Clothes come off honey.

Medellia
10-04-2005, 10:14 PM
I honestly kind of like those shirts.
I liked the style of the first one, but not the pattern. The others seem like they would be really unflattering to most people's figures.

Mike k
10-04-2005, 10:51 PM
Shes just bein herself

iceygirl
10-05-2005, 05:29 AM
if bionic eye is a guy im having a giggle picturing some net geek dude surfing the internet to find pictures of clothing similar to those a chick friend of his wears so he can bitch about her style of dress on a messageboard :D

BionicEye
10-05-2005, 08:00 AM
^^^
I am! i weigh 102 lbs, am described as 'bird-like', wear coke-bottle glasses and have a bad acne problem. (psst! i know where she shops so i just looked on the website.)

wanton wench
10-05-2005, 08:28 AM
yeah i am, but she works with them so she has to hang out with them anyways. plus if suggesting a change in clothes creates such an uproar, don't you think asking someone to change their social life could be worse? ya know?
no she doesnt. she has to work with them but she does not have to go out drinking with them. i work with some people that i would never go out with. i know how they are and i know in a social setting i would be to tempted to tell them exactly what i think of them. which would not be good. plus i would not have a good time with them so if they asked me to go out i would make up some excuse like "sorry i cant i'm going out with my friend bioniceye tonight" see its easy.

and another thing........i would much rather hear "hey i think this guy/girl your hanging out with is an asshole" rather than "man you look like shit in those clothes"

but thats just my opinion! :)

BionicEye
10-05-2005, 02:26 PM
maybe you're right. maybe if you were in my shoes you'd understand. you peoples are making me feel all bad and shit... eh. :p

miss_bhaven
10-05-2005, 09:09 PM
maybe you're right. maybe if you were in my shoes you'd understand. you peoples are making me feel all bad and shit... eh. :p

Naw don't feel bad dude - I can see where you're coming from hey. Just do what you think is best (y):p