PDA

View Full Version : How cool is that about Cervical Cancer?

TonsOfFun
10-07-2005, 01:41 AM
I love stories like this, cus you don't often get good news stories as the main news (y)

http://society.guardian.co.uk/health/news/0,8363,1587041,00.html

ms.peachy
10-07-2005, 04:10 AM
Yeah, it's pretty great!

'Too late' for us old, sexually active people, but exciting nonetheless that cervical cancer could be entirely wiped out within the next generation (y)

TonsOfFun
10-07-2005, 04:53 AM
Yeah, but for your daughters - if you have any, it's great. But a vaccine is also a step towards a cure.

Good news stories when there is nothing but killing and sad stuff on TV pleases me :D

Now we just need one for Aids!

mp-seventythree
10-07-2005, 05:55 AM
Now we just need one for Aids!

.....and for all the other cancers out there

Rancid_Beasties
10-07-2005, 07:43 AM
Really annoys me about the American religious groups though, they would rather people get cervical cancer as a punishment for promiscuity. That kind of thinking should have been left back in the dark ages with the flagellants and all that rubbish (n)

YoungRemy
10-07-2005, 08:10 AM
ladies, can anyone explain what a polyp on your cervix means?

is this an early sign of cervical cancer?

TonsOfFun
10-07-2005, 08:21 AM
is that the common virus (I think around 65% of ladies get this) that could lead to cancer (but very few in relative terms get it)?

I'm not sure, I think I read that somewhere. Or something simular...

YoungRemy
10-07-2005, 08:32 AM
HPV-human papilloma virus, thats what you are referring to...

i don't know the difference

ms.peachy
10-07-2005, 08:35 AM
HPV is the virus. Your stat of 65% is correct. For most women, most of the time, it means nothing - you carry it around with you, but it doesn't really affect your life. But for some, it can cause polyps or lesions. These may also be benign and nothing to worry about - if it shows up in your pap smear, the doctor usually sends you for something called a laproscopy, which is sort of like a biopsy, and can tell if it is a precancerous condition or just a harmless bit of tissue. But for a small percentage, that tissue can be malignant and is cancerous. If it's caught early, treatment is usually quite successful, which is why you're meant to have a regular pap smear.