PDA

View Full Version : Gas prices up north...

Anne Lauren
10-07-2005, 02:03 AM
I'm curious, what have the gas prices been like in other parts of the country? I'm living in Atlanta, now, and since Hurricane Katrina, it's been rangeing from $3 to $3.50 for a gallon. I drive an SUV and it's taking almost $80 to fill up my tank. I heard it's gonna go up to $4 soon, too. It's ridiculous.

Anyway, I know this is a very intrigueing topic and all, but shit...I'm broke all the time!

buddylee
10-07-2005, 02:07 AM
2.99 here in Cali

TonsOfFun
10-07-2005, 02:18 AM
serves you right for driving an SUV.

Still you yanks should quit your whining as it's still crazy cheap where you are. Compared to the rest of the western world

Anne Lauren
10-07-2005, 02:32 AM
serves you right for driving an SUV.

Still you yanks should quit your whining as it's still crazy cheap where you are. Compared to the rest of the western world

Yanks? I'm from a small town in Tennessee. I'm about as southern as it gets.

And, yeah, I'm thinking about selling my car. I really don't need all that room and it eats gas.

TonsOfFun
10-07-2005, 02:40 AM
To the British, you are all Yanks.

Same way all the british have the same accent and bad teeth :D

edit: I have such a hate for SUV's. Something that is so dangerous to other road users and pollutes so much should be banned. The only thing that makes me happy about them is that the owners paid over £20K for them new and it cost £50.00 to fill them up.

But then, the humour I get out of the owners for the child that is twice a likely to be killed when hit by one cus the driver is too high up to see the kid coming is very little comfort for me.

Anne Lauren
10-07-2005, 02:50 AM
To the British, you are all Yanks.

Same way all the british have the same accent and bad teeth :D

edit: I have such a hate for SUV's. Something that is so dangerous to other road users and pollutes so much should be banned. The only thing that makes me happy about them is that the owners paid over £20K for them new and it cost £50.00 to fill them up.

But then, the humour I get out of the owners for the child that is twice a likely to be killed when hit by one cus the driver is too high up to see the kid coming is very little comfort for me.

So, I gather you're not a big fan of SUV's, then?!

discopants
10-07-2005, 02:55 AM
You know what traffic I hate most? When you see some 5 foot tall woman who can vearly see over the top of the steering wheel going to pick up her spoilt little brat from school in a 4X4 the size of a small island.

Same way all the british have the same accent and bad teeth

And how Britain starts and ends with London.
Actually, to be fair, thats what most Londoners think ;) .

enree erzweglle
10-07-2005, 02:59 AM
Maybe about $2.80 for regular.

I drive a honda civic that's a little older than 11 years, but it still gets great mileage (~25mpg-city and ~30mpg-highway).

Medellia
10-07-2005, 03:03 AM
I dunno, $2 something. I don't drive, so it doesn't affect me too much.

PS-I knew what TonsofFun meant by "yanks" :cool:

Anne Lauren
10-07-2005, 03:04 AM
You know what traffic I hate most? When you see some 5 foot tall woman who can vearly see over the top of the steering wheel going to pick up her spoilt little brat from school in a 4X4 the size of a small island.

And how Britain starts and ends with London.
Actually, to be fair, thats what most Londoners think ;) .

Well, you know what I hate...old people drivers. They drive half the speed of the speed limit. Sway in and out of lanes, so that you can't pass them. And, they'll turn on their blinker, and leave it on, but never turn anywhere. Oh my God, talkin' about road rage!

Anne Lauren
10-07-2005, 03:06 AM

I drive a honda civic that's a little older than 11 years, but it still gets great mileage (~25mpg-city and ~30mpg-highway).

You're up early.

Anne Lauren
10-07-2005, 03:12 AM

Wait, I just noticed that you wrote 25 in the city and 30 on the highway. Dang! Mine's like 11mpg in the city and 13 on the highway. I'll like drive down the street with my air conditioner on and it's almost empty again.

TonsOfFun
10-07-2005, 03:12 AM
Well, you know what I hate...old people drivers. They drive half the speed of the speed limit. Sway in and out of lanes, so that you can't pass them. And, they'll turn on their blinker, and leave it on, but never turn anywhere. Oh my God, talkin' about road rage!

The only reason you can't pass them is cus your car is two lanes wide!

Anne Lauren
10-07-2005, 03:16 AM
The only reason you can't pass them is cus your car is two lanes wide!

I guess I should be dominateing the road, then. However, I don't...they do!

miss_bhaven
10-07-2005, 03:37 AM
$1.30 a litre here in Aussie :( (n)

TonsOfFun
10-07-2005, 03:39 AM
I'm only teasing you AL, no offence!

It's actually gone down here anyway. I saw 92p a litre yesterday (about $1.60USD), so :p

Anne Lauren
10-07-2005, 03:43 AM
$1.30 a litre here in Aussie :( (n)

Alright, help me out here...I don't remember all my basic measurement conversions. What would that be equivalent to in gallons?

Anne Lauren
10-07-2005, 03:47 AM
I'm only teasing you AL, no offence!

It's actually gone down here anyway. I saw 92p a litre yesterday (about $1.60USD), so :p

Oh, no offense taken! I don't take it personally just because you have issues with my car, truck, or whatever you call an SUV.

TonsOfFun
10-07-2005, 03:48 AM
Alright, help me out here...I don't remember all my basic measurement conversions. What would that be equivalent to in gallons?

http://www.onlineconversion.com is your friend!

edit so UK eqiv would be about $7.25 USD a gallon. I dunno the aussie exhange rate

TonsOfFun
10-07-2005, 03:48 AM
or whatever you call an SUV.

killer :p

Anne Lauren
10-07-2005, 04:00 AM
http://www.onlineconversion.com is your friend!

edit so UK eqiv would be about $7.25 USD a gallon. I dunno the aussie exhange rate

Thanks, that was a helpful little website. So, anyway, Australian's are paying about roughly $3.40 a gallon. Shit, that's a lot to be paying on a regular basis without any natural catastrophies occuring. But, yeah, exchange rate has a big part to do with it. So, anyway, I don't know... I'm rambleing.

And you're saying that you all pay about $7.25 a gallon?

mp-seventythree
10-07-2005, 04:13 AM
And you're saying that you all pay about $7.25 a gallon?

Yeah, and for my Lexus it costs around £55 to fill up from empty...and that works out at about $95 per tankful.

Ouch :mad:

Anne Lauren
10-07-2005, 04:21 AM
Yeah, and for my Lexus it costs around £55 to fill up from empty...and that works out at about $95 per tankful.

Ouch :mad:

Damn! But you use premium highgrade gas, I bet...with a Lexus. Luckily, I don't. But, that's about it...everything else is expensive as hell. I broke my side mirror...just the actual mirror part, no body damage done or anything...and it was $200.00 to get the mirror replaced and it was a used mirror.

mp-seventythree
10-07-2005, 05:30 AM
Our grading systems are a little different here, Regular Unleaded is 95 RON, and Super Unleaded is 98 RON (and even more expensive). My car runs on the regular stuff....although my last car would only run on Shell Optimax which is about the most expensive fuel you can get in the UK.

TonsOfFun
10-07-2005, 05:50 AM
I used to put the expensive stuff in. Optimax

I kinda notice the difference even on a 999cc car. But I don't think it is worth it. I have a flat spot since stopping with premium in first gear between 2000 revs and 3000 revs, so setting off quickly ain't as good as it used to be. But then I've had my car for 7 years (from new).

mp-seventythree
10-07-2005, 05:52 AM
Yeah, you do notice the difference...especially if you fill up somewhere like Tesco. My last car was a Clio 172 sport, and if I put regular petrol in it, it ran like shit.

TonsOfFun
10-07-2005, 06:03 AM
sometimes my shit runs fast.

eww...

:p

Anne Lauren
10-07-2005, 06:06 AM
sometimes my shit runs fast.

eww...

What kind of car you got?

mp-seventythree
10-07-2005, 07:00 AM
I guess he's gone for a while. He drives a VW Polo, a black one if i remember correctly.

Anne Lauren
10-07-2005, 07:41 AM
Alright, to keep with the topic at hand...gas is $2.96 here in Chattanooga, TN.

TonsOfFun
10-07-2005, 07:53 AM
I guess he's gone for a while. He drives a VW Polo, a black one if i remember correctly. (y)

Much love to my little black VW polo. Best thing I ever bought! It's a right tough little thing :D

ScarySquirrel
10-07-2005, 08:33 AM
I think it's averaging about $2.86 in my neck of the woods.

You know, I realize as far as other countries are concerned we really don't have much to be complaining about... but in reality we kind of do. Imagine being used to gas prices one way and then they suddenly they more than double in under the span of a couple years. I really don't think it's about how much it's costing people to fill up their tanks, it's that the prices were raised so suddenly on us.

One day your car costs $15 to fill up... and that's on the high side. Less than a year later your car costs $28 to fill up and that's when it's cheap. That's where the fuss comes in. Word to your mother.

TonsOfFun
10-07-2005, 08:44 AM
blah blah blah... Word to your mother.

BUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUT! The world has been telling you 'yanks' for years your gas prices are too low and to stop starting wars to keep it cheap cus it might bite your ass. And it has. So now cus you (as in those who represent you) didn't listen.

And then, in the UK, petrol prices have been complained about since I started driving in 1997 and probably before then to. And now since in UK terms, it has gone up but in % wise, less than the USA, all of a sudden it's an issue and people are listening.

Which is what annoys me about the whining. Cus EVERYTHING has to revolve around that troublesum lump of land across the Atlantic first :mad:

Rancid_Beasties
10-07-2005, 09:00 AM
In Australia its about $1.30 Australian per litre, so for a gallon that'd be $1.30 X 3.84 (thats how many litres there are in a US gallon i think)= $5.00 Australian per gallon.

Or $3.80 US per gallon.

armyofme
10-07-2005, 09:27 AM
I havent had to fill my car up with gas in like 2 months.

I rarely drive.

<3publictrasnport<3

ms.peachy
10-07-2005, 09:29 AM
Please. Owning a car is sooooo last century, people.

mp-seventythree
10-07-2005, 09:30 AM

Not when you have a 25 mile drive to work and there's no public transport...although to be fair I'm looking to buy a house near my office.

Rancid_Beasties
10-07-2005, 09:30 AM
I don't even have my learner's permit. Public transport is pretty good here, despite all our complaints.

Parkey
10-07-2005, 09:31 AM
It was 94p a litre in Manchester this morning. (n) At least it's gone down a bit in the past few weeks.

beastieangel01
10-07-2005, 09:38 AM
My little car overheated yesterday. The sensor is broken so it overheated easily and now I am borrowing my Mom's Jeep.

I just paid 22 bucks to not even fill it halfway. In my itty bitty car, it only takes that much to fill the entire tank.

Stupid SUVs. Good thing my parents saw the light and got other cars to drive. They kept the Jeep in case of situations like this though (another car breaking down).

Poop. $2.89 a gallon, by the way.

Anne Lauren
10-07-2005, 09:46 AM
In Australia its about $1.30 Australian per litre, so for a gallon that'd be $1.30 X 3.84 (thats how many litres there are in a US gallon i think)= $5.00 Australian per gallon.

Or $3.80 US per gallon.

My calculations were somewhat accurate.

kll
10-07-2005, 09:47 AM
It was $3.29 for regular unleaded on the California side of Lake Tahoe on Tuesday night. It's $3.12 for regular unleaded in Reno, Nevada as of today.

QueenAdrock
10-07-2005, 10:19 PM
It was $3.03 up in College Park (where it used to be the cheapest), but now I think it may be cheaper in the town next to mine...about 7 miles away. I think I'll take a drive there tomorrow. I'm expecting about $2.99. It's a sad day when it's cheaper in Cali than it is out here. :(

BUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUT! The world has been telling you 'yanks' for years your gas prices are too low and to stop starting wars to keep it cheap cus it might bite your ass. And it has. So now cus you (as in those who represent you) didn't listen.

Well, the thing is the earliest time that was predicted for an oil crisis was 10 years from now. We're not in a 'crisis' right now, people are just predicting we will be and predicting we'll all be hoarding sometime soon, so they're gouching right now. I read somewhere that gas could be as low as $2.00, and they'd still be making quite the profit. But they want more because they're a bunch of piggies. So that's what they're doing, and people are still paying.