PDA

View Full Version : So let's talk about live songs.

Kid Presentable
12-02-2005, 10:53 AM
At the moment Posse in Effect from Loreley 98 is my favourite. At least the first half is one of the dopest live performances I've heard by them.

Skills at Manchester is awesome too.

Talk about your favourites.

alexandra
12-02-2005, 11:51 AM
Stand Together - Philadelphia '95

Root Down - TFC '97

So What'cha Want - Glasgow '99

Brass Monkey - dunno where/when.

edit; talk about them? they're all great, especially the beat on Root Down. what more can i say.

p.s; is Live At PJ's actually live at PJ's...? if so, i'll count that one too.

jsm2727
12-02-2005, 12:00 PM
I really like Sure Shot in all the shows

I also like Brass monkey and Check it out live

Laver1969
12-02-2005, 03:02 PM
This is a good topic. I'm going from memory...and only on this last tour.

Skills and Pass the Mic from the pre-pageant Amsterdam show.

Paul Revere from New Orleans Voodoo.

SWW from Australia...not sure which show it is.

Body Movin' from Amsterdam - regular Pageant show is incredible.

Root Down is awesome live...but I'm not sure which one would be my favorite.

(y)

Kid Presentable
12-02-2005, 08:16 PM
I enjoy the Reading 98 set. My local student radio station in N.Z played the whole two disc soundboard recording of that show; I used to have it taped.

My half-baked theory at the time was that the Hello Nasty songs weren't going to sound right against the other material. How wrong I was.

The set opened with my favourite version of The Move. No mistakes, completely mental performance. Sure Shot ranked highly on this one, because it was the first time I'd heard MMM flip Shimmy Shimmy Ya on the last verse. Also Slow and Low was phenomenal in this set. MMM dropped the craziest beats, and the Boys gave a fired up rendition worthy of 1991.

romanpetr
12-03-2005, 05:38 AM
Oh yeah,that' s good topic! (y)
mmm...from the last TT5B tour I like :

So What'cha Want - from Sydney feb '05 and Amsterdam 14.12.04 versions

Ricky's Theme - from all the Pageant tour shows

especially (!!!) (y) Skills to Pay the Bills - Melkweg, Amsterdam 16.05.04

The Brouhahha - National Vorst, Brussels 11.12.04.

Root Down - almost from all the Pageants tour show

also I 'd like to note - MixMaster Mike - Interlude in the middle of every Pageant's tour show!!! (y) Great scratches and great skills of MMM! (y)

dave790
12-03-2005, 06:50 AM
The set opened with my favourite version of The Move. No mistakes, completely mental performance. Sure Shot ranked highly on this one, because it was the first time I'd heard MMM flip Shimmy Shimmy Ya on the last verse. Also Slow and Low was phenomenal in this set. MMM dropped the craziest beats, and the Boys gave a fired up rendition worthy of 1991.

I remeber seeing the setlist and thinking 'Song For A Man' might be a bit dodgy live, but it blew me away.

I've been listening to Flute Loop and Time to Get Ill from the Roskilde 98 show a lot lately, and Pass the Mic from the Triple J 95 thing.

Kid Presentable
12-03-2005, 11:41 AM
I saw a sick performance of 'Unite'. Completely changed my mind about the song.

I like that Pass the Mic from the Triple J thing.

Shadrach on Jersey 92 is crazy. Real normal routine first verse, then they go nuts on the next verse and drop a new (at the time) beat on it.

They've always fucked with their material live.

meniri mca
12-04-2005, 11:10 AM
big shot- loreley, 1998

song for the man- I don't rember where :rolleyes:

kleptomaniac
12-04-2005, 12:57 PM
i've never seen them perfrom live :(

Lollapalooza
12-04-2005, 01:01 PM
sure shot babe

ja right flute llup + Root Down from ยด1998-2005 tour

so wathca want

Sabotage from 1995 live in sydney Beasties voice on alle the top

Laver1969
12-04-2005, 09:36 PM
The Slow and Low performance that is on the Skills video is incredible. I'm too lazy to check the exact date and venue...but it's early CYH era.

So Watcha Want from the Tibetan Freedom Concert 1999 is pretty sweet...MMM dropped some nice beats.

I like Super Disco Breakin and Root Dow on the 99 Glasgow show. (y)

laurie_hammy
12-04-2005, 10:07 PM
Awsome Thread

Sure Shot is always good live.

Do It - 98

Alright Hear This - 94

The Scoop - 94

So Whatcha Want - Live To The 5 Boroughs - 04

Heaps more

laurie_hammy
12-04-2005, 10:11 PM
Get It Together with Q-Tip - St Louis, August 1998
It's a really tight performance. You can tell that they rehearsed it thoroughly. No pullin' it out of a hat.

Skills to Pay the Bills - Melkweg, May 2004
Horovitz does his best Lil Jon impression and MMM drops in so much dope shit, it almost becomes a new song.

Right Right Now Now - Basel, December 2004
Yauch throws in a verse of Professor Booty just for hell of it.

Root Down - Sydney, May 1999
Sometimes they walk through this song or sillify it, but not in this performance. It's a technically accurate performance (few missed stuff or lyrical flubs).

Posse in Effect - Loreley, June 1998
Jazzy! Yes, it's one jazzy version. They get freaky with it.

Time for Livin' - Reading, August 1998
It's a total rock out in one minute forty. It takes me longer than that to put my shoes on.

Looking Down the Barrell of a Gun/Rhymin' & Stealin' (performed combo-style) - Cleveland, August 1992
I like it because it's sloppy and sets the tone for the rest of the show (it's the opening of the set). Sometimes sloppy is better than clean.

Shake Your Rump - Voodoo Festival 2004
Horovitz's timing with his "dirt-ay, dirt-ay" shouts to Mike's speech about the South is hilarious.

Hey Miramanee would you be able to plz post the Right Right Now Now version from Basel 2004 ?

Kid Presentable
12-04-2005, 10:51 PM
The Scoop - 94

I'd always imagined this would be good. Is it?

Kid Presentable
12-04-2005, 11:16 PM
Oh yeah, I was chasing that Basel show for the Prof. Booty verse.

Time to Build as an opener was hella disappointing. One for the music critics to say "Didn't they bother rehearsing?".

I never did get that Prof. Booty verse......

laurie_hammy
12-05-2005, 01:03 AM
I'd always imagined this would be good. Is it?

Shit yeah. Its a tad quiet, I need to turn up my speakers a fair bit, but its awsome.

midzi
12-05-2005, 01:49 AM
Paul Revere - Mesa 1992 because of the drummmmms

Kid Presentable
12-08-2005, 12:12 AM
I just wanted to add that AOLTNYC is awesome on that Manchester thing. I'd always taken it for granted, but it's definitely their strongest track in years. And on this recording, for some reason, the conviction of their rhymes comes off perfectly. I hear a faint "What?" in one of Mike's verses and I think that they're really feeling each other's performances.

They're basically rhyming their asses off about something they love. This performance is my new favourite.

I eagerly await the MSG performance; the energy must have been tenfold this recording. Good lord, it must have been magic. It's a bummer Perth weren't feelin it. Mad love.

paulb
12-08-2005, 01:44 AM
So Watcha Want - Glasgow 99

Time to get ill - glasgow 99

Shadrach - Trenton 92

Paul Revere - Philly 98...without a fuckin doubt.

Hello Brooklyn - Vancouver 04

Shazam - Conan O Brian 05, much better than the long beach recording.

She's Crafty - Cleveland 87

Something's Got To Give - Glasgow 99

Jimmy James - too fuckin hard to pick, my fav song ever. each concerts sounds so tight!

Egg Raid On Mojo - Reading 98

Do It - Brixton 95

this is an awesome topic, it would take me ages though to go through each song and version to find out which i like the best. But for the gigs that stand out in my brain, these are my fav.

midzi
02-05-2006, 11:20 AM
I just got a chance to listen to Amsterdam 2004 pageant show.
The whole show is great but DAMN, No Sleep Till Brooklyn is AWESOME.
I can't get enough.

Now it's definitely my favourite recording from the pageant shows.

dave790
02-05-2006, 11:52 AM
I just wanted to add that AOLTNYC is awesome on that Manchester thing. I'd always taken it for granted, but it's definitely their strongest track in years. And on this recording, for some reason, the conviction of their rhymes comes off perfectly. I hear a faint "What?" in one of Mike's verses and I think that they're really feeling each other's performances.

They're basically rhyming their asses off about something they love. This performance is my new favourite.

(y) Absolutely.

I don't suppose you still have the whole Reading 98 set by the way? I know you said 'used to' but it'd be awesome to have it all!

Kid Presentable
02-05-2006, 06:26 PM
(y) Absolutely.

I don't suppose you still have the whole Reading 98 set by the way? I know you said 'used to' but it'd be awesome to have it all!

Long time gone unfortunately my man. (n)

I remember freaking out when I first heard the Tom Sawyer intro. And when MMM scratched up the Cheap Trick "This next one....is the first song....on our new album...." which segued into a completely bananas (and out of nowhere, 10 songs into the set) Super Disco Breakin. Fifty cups of coffee and the motherfucker's on!

There's somebody in N.Z who has it. The night they played it they gave it away in a comp. You had to be a card-carrying uni student to be eligible. I was in my last year of high school.

Fuck, it was massive. Must have been 90+ minutes of music. So many switch ups, mini sets. Egg Raid was incredible from that one. The crowd was noisy as fuck the whole time, and the audio was top notch. Whenever I've seen it on the hub, I'm guessing it was incomplete?

dave790
02-06-2006, 03:28 PM
yeah i think it's a radio broadcast man

timmie
02-06-2006, 04:03 PM
Wow...erm...where does one start there all fucking good!

Egg Man - Wembley London 2004
Root Down - Everyone
Skills to pay the bills - London 98/99
The Move - London Wembly 98
High Plains Drifter/Sure Shot/Gratitude - Brixton 98
Flute Loop - ICA London there all fantastic of this track!
Egg raid on mojo - Wembley London 99
Posse in effect, shake your rump!

I can't really single anyone out! because they all change when played live & there just all amazing!!

laurie_hammy
02-06-2006, 04:05 PM
I was watching Sabotage (Woodstock 99) and thats a pretty dam good live performance. (y)

paulb
02-06-2006, 06:39 PM
I was watching Sabotage (Woodstock 99) and thats a pretty dam good live performance. (y)

i think u mean TFC 99... they did not play Woodstock. And i know which video you're talking about, which is mislabelled.

laurie_hammy
02-06-2006, 07:29 PM
i think u mean TFC 99... they did not play Woodstock. And i know which video you're talking about, which is mislabelled.

SiK

midzi
02-07-2006, 12:51 AM

I think he means T in The Park festival

this one right (http://www.youtube.com/?v=0IcatBWXAiw) ?

laurie_hammy
02-12-2006, 05:28 AM
Beastie Boys - SKills To Pay The Bills (Live Melkweg 2004)

SiK beats, SiK performance (!)

mca64
02-14-2006, 08:17 AM
Root Down,Time To Get Ill,Super Disco Breakin - Glasgow 99
Pass The Mic - Amsterdam 94

Tzar
02-14-2006, 07:43 PM
It's a bummer Perth weren't feelin it. Mad love.
dunno bout you but i was feeling it ;)

Justin
02-18-2006, 01:04 AM
i'll have to go listen to all my shows again..

I'll be back in about a month with an answer.

Justin
02-19-2006, 12:34 AM
After a long thought process, and many hours without any sleep i choose...

1998 Vienna Austria MMM Intro into alright hear this

If you havent heard this, LISTEN to it!, or get in touch with me and i'll find a way for you to hear it. Its great. MMM plays 'natural born killers' (which you dont realize til the end)..he just does cuts and scratches with parts of the song..and then ends up being the song at the end, which then goes straight into ALRIGHT HEAR THIS!

KILLER!

Best opening i ever heard and better than most songs. Any beastie cd i make, this intro/alright hear this from vienna is always on there somewhere!

jennyb
02-19-2006, 01:36 AM
I think he means T in The Park festival

this one right (http://www.youtube.com/?v=0IcatBWXAiw) ?

Does the Gorton's Fisherman know that Adrock borrowed his boots that day? And money mark trying to pull the smash the guitar rock star move with the keyboard! Wow this is a good one. (y)