PDA

View Full Version : Blockbuster guy talks karma

abcdefz
12-23-2005, 02:47 PM
...so I called Blockbuster last night to see if I had rented from one of those stores with the "no late fees" deal (which actually means a seven day grace period before they charge you for the movie, but.... whatever).

Anyway, so I asked. The guy hemmed and hawed for a moment then said, " -- yeah, but of course if everybody did that [used the grace period] there'd be no movies in stock for people to rent, so it's kind of a karma thing, where you want to bring it back as soon as possible."

That struck me as pretty funny, but the guy was dead serious. So I explained that I was just asking because I didn't want to take public transportation there and back for about 80 minutes in and out of pouring rain if I didn't technically have a movie pretty darned overdue.

He said no. I said thanks.

Movie rental karma? I thought Blockbuster employees were drug tested. (!)

Bob
12-23-2005, 02:51 PM
only druggies are allowed to be buddhist

abcdefz
12-23-2005, 03:11 PM
it's adding up

kleptomaniac
12-23-2005, 03:15 PM
how come libraries don't offer those kinds of deals?

abcdefz
12-23-2005, 03:20 PM
Check your local library for their annual amnesty day program. A lot of libraries have 'em. (y)

marsdaddy
12-23-2005, 03:58 PM
Maybe he was suggesting carmex for that cold sore?

fucktopgirl
12-23-2005, 04:07 PM
well the employee was taking is job seriously,that's for shure!He was the knight of blockbuster!

BangkokB
12-23-2005, 11:00 PM
When I first moved back to Thailand I had taken 3 movies with me to Costa Rica. So I go back over a year later and returned said movies and this gentleman stoicly added up late fees coming up with a nice round figure of hundreds of dollars. I had a good laugh about it but he was dead pan serious. I gave him $20 and said that was all he was getting out of me and I rented 6 more movies.

cookiepuss
12-23-2005, 11:15 PM
and this is why Netflix is kicking Blockbuster's ass.

marsdaddy
12-23-2005, 11:41 PM
and this is why Netflix is kicking Blockbuster's ass.Netflix is about to go bankrupt, I think.

cookiepuss
12-24-2005, 02:19 AM
I hadn't heard that...thier stock took a small dip but it's been back up and it's projected to keep going.

Axl Z
12-24-2005, 03:36 AM
When I first moved back to Thailand I had taken 3 movies with me to Costa Rica. So I go back over a year later and returned said movies and this gentleman stoicly added up late fees coming up with a nice round figure of hundreds of dollars. I had a good laugh about it but he was dead pan serious. I gave him $20 and said that was all he was getting out of me and I rented 6 more movies.

in a way thou that's probably the amount they would have lost by not being able to rent them out for a year... that's karma! :o

Matt
12-24-2005, 03:48 AM
Check your local library for their annual amnesty day program. A lot of libraries have 'em. (y)

really? I hope my library has one. I've had the Ian Curtis biography for about a year. I never go to the library because I usually buy books.

adam_f
12-24-2005, 12:24 PM
I'm anti Netflix for the sole reason that my mailman sucks.