PDA

View Full Version : Doctor Who

voltanapricot
12-29-2005, 12:47 PM
I couldn't find the original thread Parkey made. Damn purge.

'The Christmas Invasion', now was it ace, or was it bloody ace?!

What do you think of David Tennant as the new Doctor? Not bad for a man in his pajamas I reckon. (y)

WillMac
12-29-2005, 12:49 PM
the old theme song was rad... is it still the same?

Ace42X
12-29-2005, 12:49 PM
It was "nearly as shit as those Ecclestone episodes."

Mr_Complex
12-29-2005, 01:02 PM
Never seen an episode of the new Dr Who before but I watched some of the Christmas special before falling asleep.

David Tennant is a bloody good actor anyway. Much better than Ecclestone.

Did you watch Secret Smile on ITV a few weeks back with Tennant in it? Good stuff.

voltanapricot
12-29-2005, 01:11 PM
I didn't like Ecclestone much, I was a fan of Tennant before, yet I managed to miss 'Secret Smile' as I rarely flick over to ITV. 90% tripe.

Ace42X
12-29-2005, 01:13 PM
Proper Dr Who was infinitly better than the recent dross. The programs are so totally facile that I can't see what anyone would see in them. The doctor is just a farcical boob, the dialogue is insipid, the characterisation two dimensional, and the plots totally fail to provoke a single thought other than "Jesus Christ is this lame?"

The program is too short to develop any sort of consistant plot, and the absence of cliff-hangers between episodes trivialise the plots. The continuity is a joke, with the writers more concerned with putting past aliens in the background as a nod and a wink rather than actually engaging with the rich history the program has to offer.

The Doctor lacks any sort of gravitas, in both cases he came across as a gibbering bufoon with no charisma whatsoever, AGAIN trivialising the program. It was so totally crap that even Chris Eccythump couldn't stick it out for another series, and there is no prospect of it getting any better. It is a sore indictment that Billie Piper is the best thing about the show.

And the WORST thing is that this tosh is being lapped up by people who are now keen to say "I love Dr Who!!!" even though this puréed garbage is more like something that belongs on CBBC than a prime-time slot.

Auton
12-30-2005, 03:12 AM
Proper Dr Who? now, would that include the bullshit that featured Sylvester McCoy or Colin Baker in the 1980's? or the campy children's show that ran in the 60's and 70's? Either way, you obviously wouldnt know the show if it bit you in the ass. So you would rather have 6 filler ladden episodes just so you can have cliffhangers? Besides, if you watched any of the episodes of the new series, you would see that they do in fact have cliffhangers that lead into the next episode.

the entire 2005 series is one story, schmuck, and if you are concerned with the new writers (best they've had in the 30 years since the robert holmes/philip hinchcliff era) obviously you haven't seen any doctor who episodes past oh, 1975.

dont talk about anything you obviously have no knowledge about. This Doctor Who is closer to the spirit of the 60's program than any of the John Nathan Turner produced episodes. but then again you probably wouldnt even know who these people are, since you apparently arent familiar with the original show to begin with. you should probably go back to watching Wife Swap.

Parkey
12-30-2005, 07:18 AM
Fuckinh hell, the Xmas day episode was fucking BRILLIANT. I have to agree with The Guardian and conclude it was the best Xmas day programme of the past 20 years. (y) (y) (y)

(it's just ashame they've kept the crap new music...)

paul jones
12-30-2005, 08:50 AM
Did Piper get bummed by Cybermen whilst 2 Daleks leisurely masturbated in the corner?

Ace42X
12-30-2005, 02:21 PM
Proper Dr Who? now, would that include the bullshit that featured Sylvester McCoy or Colin Baker in the 1980's?

Colin Baker sucked, an all time low point. However, McCoy was class as soon as they ditched Bonnie Langford.

Rememberance of the Daleks works on numerous levels, both by re-energising a clichéd enemy, and the parallelisms between the Daleks and facism. It also had possibly the most terrifying scene in Dr Who ever, featuring Daleks rampaging around a school, bringing it a lot closer to home for younger viewers. The dialogue was also a helluva lot sharper and more significant. Battlefield did an excellent job of incorporating mythology and fantasy with a strong and coherant story, Ghost of Fenric was chilling.

"Objects can't harm us, it's human belief. And you stopped believing when the bombs started falling."
"I'm not frightened of German bombs."
"Not German bombs; British, falling on German cities."
The vampiric Phyllis and Rev Wainwright, in "The Curse of Fenric"

Ah, the sound of dying... When it comes to death, quantity is so much more satisfying than quality.
Dr Judson/Fenric, in "The Curse of Fenric"

Thousands of years in the future, the Earth lays dying, the surface just a chemical slime. Half a million years of industrial progress...
The Doctor, in "The Curse of Fenric"

All civilisation starts with hunting and foraging, but don't worry, you'll soon work your way up.
The Doctor, soliloquizing to a beetle, in "Ghost Light"

He doesn't have to outrun the lion, only his friend. Then the lion catches up with his friend and eats him. The strong survive, the weak are killed: the law of the jungle! ... Yes, very clever, if you don't mind losing your friend. But what happens when the next lion turns up? I think you'd better get your running shoes on, gentlemen.
The Doctor, in "Survival"

here are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea is asleep, and the rivers dream. People made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace; we've got work to do!
The Doctor's final words, in "Survival"

Your species has the most amazing capacity for self-deception, matched only by its ingenuity when trying to destroy itself.

The Doctor, on humans, in "Remembrance of the Daleks"

"Excuse me, what's your attitude towards the nature of existence? For example, do you hold any strong theological opinions?"
"I think you'll find that most educated people regard mythical convictions as fundamentally animistic."
"I see; that's a very interesting concept."
"Personally, I find most experiences border on the existential."
The Doctor and a guard, in "Dragonfire"

"I think she's going to kill us, Doctor."
"Ah, an existentialist!"
Glitz and the Doctor, in "Dragonfire"

"What are you doing here?"
"That's a very difficult question. Why is everyone around here so preoccupied with metaphysics?"
Belász and the Doctor, in "Dragonfire"

Let's compare those to Ecclestones dialogue:
Rose: Who are you, then? Who's that lot down there? I said, who are they?
The Doctor: They're made of plastic, living plastic creatures. They're being controlled by a relay device on the roof. Which would be a great big problem if I didn't have this. So, I'm gonna go upstairs and run amuck. And I might well die in the process, but don't worry about me, no. Go on, go and have your lovely beans on toast! Don't tell anyone about this cuz if you do, you'll get them killed.
(He goes through the door and then opens it again.)
The Doctor: I'm the Doctor, by the way. What's your name?
Rose: Rose.
The Doctor: Nice to meet you, Rose. Run for your life!

"The Doctor: You're not plastic, are you? (Knocks on Rose's head) Nope. Bonehead. Bye, then."

The Doctor, looking at a tabloid: "That won't last. He's gay, and she's an alien."

"Rose: You can't just go swarmin' off!
The Doctor: Yes, I can. Here I am. This is me, swarmin' off. See you!"

Let's have a look at the best the new series has to offer:
"The Doctor: Do you know like we were saying, about the earth revolving? It's like when you're a kid, the first time they tell you that the world's turning, and you just can't quite believe it cuz everything looks like it's standing still. I can feel it. The turn of the earth. The ground beneath our feet is spinning at a thousand miles an hour, and the entire planet is hurtling around the sun at 67000 miles an hour. And I can feel it. We're falling through space, you and me, clinging to the skin of this tiny little world, and if we let go... That's who I am. Now, forget me, Rose Tyler. Go home."

Which is essentially a po-faced cut from "The galaxy song" by the Monty Python crew... What originality...

"Cassandra: And here, another rarity. According to the archives, this was called an IPod. It stores classical music from humanity's greatest composers. Play on!
[Soft Cell's "Tainted Love" plays on the jukebox.]
Lyrics: Sometimes I feel I've got to run away...
(Rose runs away)"

Reusing gags from Red Dwarf now?!?

I find the fact that you can call anything campy after that level of tosh both galling and offensive.

Either way, you obviously wouldnt know the show if it bit you in the ass. So you would rather have 6 filler ladden episodes just so you can have cliffhangers? Besides, if you watched any of the episodes of the new series, you would see that they do in fact have cliffhangers that lead into the next episode.

You don't even know what cliffhangers are, and you have the nerve to tell me what I wouldn't know?!? Those are TEASERS, fool. A Cliffhanger involves the hero hanging from a cliff (A la McCoy in Dragonfire, poking fun at the cliche), not saying "there may be peril in the next episode".

And, being someone of clearly limited mental capacities, and thus a short attention span, I can understand that you might find actual character development superfluous, but for those of us who expect ACTUAL PLOT, it is essential. But then, you also apparently have no appreciation for dramatic tension either, so it is also understandable that you'd not want to palate anything that isn't cheap and cheerful, IE something which has some depth to it.

the entire 2005 series is one story, schmuck

Hardly, it was a collection of cheap thrills loosely bundled by the most tenuous of plot lines. The whole thing not only *felt* tacked on, BUT CLEARLY WAS.

and if you are concerned with the new writers (best they've had in the 30 years since the robert holmes/philip hinchcliff era) obviously you haven't seen any doctor who episodes past oh, 1975.

And if you think the new writers are anything other than amateurish boobs, you obviously haven't read anything of merit in your entire life. Let me guess, you're a Sun reader, yah? Like it because of the articles?

dont talk about anything you obviously have no knowledge about.

I'd say likewise, as your comprehension of aethetics, screenwriting and drama is sadly amiss. That you'd rather have the Dr gibbering about being Ginger, rather than philosophising about the nature of man speaks volumes. You'd rather watch something two-dimensional and unchallenging, and I can only guess this is because you like simple things.

I bet you like comedies with canned laughter on too, right? Barrymore as well?

This Doctor Who is closer to the spirit of the 60's program than any of the John Nathan Turner produced episodes.

Actually, I was watching the Mind Robber on DVD just the other night and even though this is one of the episodes that would best make your case, I can STILL safely say that you are full of shit. If you go back and watch some 60s episodes, and actual observe what the writers are doing, instead of having a brain fart and missing the WHOLE POINT OF THE LAST 40 YEARS WORTH OF DR WHO, you will see that the approach, direction and aims are completely different. Anyone with even the vaguest understanding of the screenwriting format could tell you this. To talk about something ephermeral as "spirit" shows just how weak your position is. If you were to look at the facts objectively, the truth couldn't be clearer.

but then again you probably wouldnt even know who these people are, since you apparently arent familiar with the original show to begin with.

Tish and Fipsy. As much as you'd like to compartmentalise me in order to reinforce your rather tenuous position, the fact of the matter is I am quite familiar with Dr Who, and I daresay have a more extensive library on the subject than you.

What you ACTUALLY mean is "I don't have a leg to stand on, so need to cast vague dispersions about your credibility to try and detract attention away from my own incomptence" - and don't think I didn't pick up on that.

you should probably go back to watching Wife Swap.

Yes, because the facile themes, weak and predictable plot lines, cheap contrivances, childishly simple dialogue and crude dramatisations of the current series are SOOOOO sophisticated.

If you did a little research on this, you'll find that the popularity of the current series of Dr Who is precisely because of its appeal to the wife swap demographic.

Of course, that would involve you actually looking at it, rather than just demanding that your beliefs be right.

Fact of the matter is, Dr Who may have been doing some practice leaps over the tank, but with that crappy millenium episode with McGann in it, Dr Who jumped the shark.

na§tee
12-30-2005, 02:27 PM
(lb) fact: sylvester mccoy has come round to my flat and hosted a dinner party. mean cook.
these are the benefits of having an actress flatmate. awesome!
oh point here: i love david tennant. he's scottish.
my favourite point was when he said "am i ginger?". ha!

Pres Zount
12-30-2005, 02:32 PM
Did Piper get bummed by Cybermen whilst 2 Daleks leisurely masturbated in the corner?

She must have. Did the daleks toss each others guns off, or did the blokes inside the daleks pop in private?

David Tennant is my celebrity doppleganger, by the way.

Ace42X
12-30-2005, 02:32 PM
Did the daleks toss each others guns off, or did the blokes inside the daleks pop in private?.

Exsperminate! White Wee-wee!

Auton
12-30-2005, 08:49 PM
blahblahblah ace blah blah

oh yeah, the sylvester mmcoy era was solid when bonnie langford left! 'cos Happiness Patrol, Greatest Show in the Galaxy, Curse of Fenric, Battlefield, Ghostlight, and other (shitty) stories etc make for GREAT TELEVISION! every other damn episode (written by amatuers, a well known FACT) featured a supposedly all-powerful "evil before the dawn of time" (or "older than time itself") that is easily defeated by losing a GAME OF CHESS or other nonsensical shit.

The seventh doctor's "writers" BRILLIANT idea of "bringing the doctor back to his roots" was dressing him in a ridiculous question-mark-covered outfit and having some bullshit dialogue at the end of the episodes where ace goes "doctor? who AAAAAAARE you?!" like in silver nemesis.

And dragonfire was written by ol shitbag Ian Briggs himself. The literal "cliffhanger" wasnt a stab at humor. Andrew Cartmel, the script editor, admitted that Briggs never wrote cliffhangers, and they had to put it in out of necessity. it wasn't some witty joke. Oh, and the 7th doctor only had one semi-good story, and that was the last one, survival.

And as for what I said about the new seasons having cliffhangers, i wasn't talking about the previews for the next episode, retard, i was referring to the fact that, if you paid attention, half of the episodes were two parters and did in fact have suspensful cliffhangers.

oh, and remembrance of the daleks is shit and if you honestly think it works on "several levels" you're a buffoon. Most of those writers were FIRST TIME WRITERS, who where hired, according to cartmel, becuase he wanted to "give new writers their first crack" at writing a television series. good idea. thanks for ruining dr who, ass.

well i guess what im trying to get across is that anyone who honestly believes that the sylvester mccoy era is better than the current run honestly has no grip on reality.

Documad
12-30-2005, 09:11 PM
Colin Baker was so bad that I thought it couldn't get worse. Then they got Sylvester McCoy. He might be a nice guy at a dinner party, but he was all wrong for The Doctor.

I'm a fan (obviously) but it strikes me funny to see people discussing the "quality" of the show. As if it was ever about that. :rolleyes:

I think the show was best when they had a good assistant. I could get used to the ever worsening doctors, but irritating assistants did me in.

Ace42X
12-30-2005, 09:11 PM
oh yeah, the sylvester mmcoy era was solid when bonnie langford left! 'cos Happiness Patrol, Greatest Show in the Galaxy, Curse of Fenric, Battlefield, Ghostlight, and other (shitty) stories etc make for GREAT TELEVISION! every other damn episode (written by amatuers, a well known FACT) featured a supposedly all-powerful "evil before the dawn of time" (or "older than time itself") that is easily defeated by losing a GAME OF CHESS or other nonsensical shit.

Happiness Patrol, Battlefield and Remembrance featured all-power "evils before the dawn of chess" ? Hardly.

You can't even keep your story straight within your first sentence. And Fenric, BF and Rememberance were core Dr Who stories, excellent stuff. Happiness Patrol, while not my favourite selection ever, was pretty original. Juxtaposing the most innocuous things with complete tyranny is quite a clever plotline, and it worked adequately. The Candyman scared plenty of kids, despite it being quite ridiculous.

and having some bullshit dialogue at the end of the episodes where ace goes "doctor? who AAAAAAARE you?!" like in silver nemesis.

McCoy dialogue at its most cheesey shits on the Ecclestone dialogue clear along the lines as I pointed out quite clearly and categorically. You insisting it is otherwise makes no difference at all.

Andrew Cartmel, the script editor, admitted that Briggs never wrote cliffhangers, and they had to put it in out of necessity. it wasn't some witty joke.

Yes, you are quite right. Unless you take three seconds to think about what you just wrote. "We didn't know what to do for a cliffhanger, so we put him hanging off a cliff" - the rimshot is practically audible on its own. But obviously you need whit like I quoted above "bonehead, LOL ROFFLE!!!!" etc to tickle your clearly sophisticated funny bones.

Oh, and the 7th doctor only had one semi-good story, and that was the last one, survival.

Which was the weakest and least sensical of the whole lot. It figures that you'd like that, given that narrative structure, plot construction, character development and all the other dramatic virtues are apparently beyond your comprehension.

And as for what I said about the new seasons having cliffhangers, i wasn't talking about the previews for the next episode, retard, i was referring to the fact that, if you paid attention, half of the episodes were two parters and did in fact have suspensful cliffhangers.

"Half of them" well colour me pink and call me a bitch. Fifty whole percent? Including the end of that diabolically shit episode with the Anne Robinson bot that suddenly went "DUN DUN DUN, THERE ARE DALEKS!" And then the Doctor gives a feeble "boo shucks to you!" speech and WHAM, into what is essentially a completely different story?

That's not a cliffhanger, that's totally inept writing. My nan could do better, and she is probably as illiterate as you.

oh, and remembrance of the daleks is shit and if you honestly think it works on "several levels" you're a buffoon.

Hah, the only reason you DON'T think it works on several levels is because you are too stupid to perceive them. "It doesn't have multiple levels, otherwise I'd be able to see them, hyuck!"

Most of those writers were FIRST TIME WRITERS, who where hired, according to cartmel, becuase he wanted to "give new writers their first crack" at writing a television series. good idea. thanks for ruining dr who, ass.

New writers or not, they showed infinitly more technical merit than the people responsible for the infinitly forgettable dross of this year. Whether that is down to stronger editorial guidance or not is immaterial. The plots were more sophisticated, the characters less childishly portrayed, the dialogue sharper and the tone more intellectual.

But, as you have shown time and time again that you are not capable of looking beyond even the most superficial of details (and shown an anal retentiveness that would be charming, if it were not so totally irrelevant to what is actually being said) I do not expect you to appreciate that.

"Yah, new Who is cool, teh doctor got a sword, and had a sword fight, and shit, and then threw an orange at a switch"

- more inkeeping with the spirit of the 60s show? I don't recall Hartnell or Troughton being a pisspoor conflation lord of the rings and indiana jones. You are so full of shit that you are fit to burst. You might want to stop retaining, otherwise you might do yourself an injury.

well i guess what im trying to get across is that anyone who honestly believes that the sylvester mccoy era is better than the current run honestly has no grip on reality.

Yes, that might carry some weight if it weren't for the fact that you have yet to show even the slightest comprehension of the key elements of script writing, offer any sort of insight into the themes and style of the show, provide the slightest bit of supporting evidence for your case beyond inconsequential name dropping which has no ACTUAL bearing on the argument at all.

I could continue, but as you haven't even given me the courtesy of formulating an argument, I really don't see why I should waste my time on such a close-minded imbercile.

icy manipulator
01-05-2006, 01:09 AM
Tom Baker will always be my favourite doctor. So do any of you Dr Who fans watch Blakes 7 as well?

Ace42X
01-05-2006, 03:21 PM
Tom Baker will always be my favourite doctor. So do any of you Dr Who fans watch Blakes 7 as well?

Yeah, have plenty of series 1 on tape and great deal of series 2, and a smattering of series 3 and later.

icy manipulator
01-05-2006, 07:52 PM
Yeah, have plenty of series 1 on tape and great deal of series 2, and a smattering of series 3 and later.
true, i have series 1,2 and 3 on dvd, waiting for the final series to come out, should be good.

Documad
01-15-2006, 03:13 AM
I got The City of Death from Netflix, and noticed that John Cleese was in it for a couple of seconds. :p

Ace42X
01-15-2006, 04:06 AM
true, i have series 1,2 and 3 on dvd, waiting for the final series to come out, should be good.

Incidently, the Blakes7 drinking game is great fun for shits and giggles. Blakes 7 marathon, lots of booze, and the rules sheet and you are guaranteed to chuckle until you puke.

icy manipulator
01-19-2006, 08:17 PM
Incidently, the Blakes7 drinking game is great fun for shits and giggles. Blakes 7 marathon, lots of booze, and the rules sheet and you are guaranteed to chuckle until you puke.
true, i may have to get into this, where can i find this rule sheet>?

g-mile7
01-19-2006, 08:21 PM
Ace42X you must like Dr.Who alot...but I'm pretty sure Auton knows more bout it then you...just guessing

Dr.Who, new and old, are both impressive once you get past the whole "it aint like the old school" type of thinking. I enjoy it alot actaully the more I learn about it...hopign they put out the new one on DVD here

Kid Presentable
01-19-2006, 08:28 PM
So bringing drinks to the table is a Dalek with a tray tacked to it's front gun thing, and each section of the restaurant is waited by different Doctors.

"I'd like a table in the Tom Baker section please" you would say.

Every 30 minutes all of the staff would do a robot dance to strains of banumbanumbanumOOOOOOEEEEEEEEEEEEOOOOOOOOOOOOOEEEE EEOOOOOOOOR!banumbanumbanumbanum

Ace42X
01-19-2006, 09:37 PM
Ace42X you must like Dr.Who alot...but I'm pretty sure Auton knows more bout it then you...just guessing

It is debatable. As I said, I had quite an extensive library. But, I haven't read any of those books in donkey's years, so his knowledge is certainly more contemporary.

RE: Blakes7 Drinking Games

http://havetstorm.tripod.com/blakes7/id2.html

icy manipulator
10-01-2006, 07:55 AM
i've finally gotten around to watching the new episodes with tennant and eccelstone. i've gotta say i'm addicted and cant wait for The Runnaway Bride. i was a bit sceptical about Billie Piper at first (i couldn't help but remember that stupid song she did) but she definately grew on me. i dont think Tennant is as Quirky as eccelstone tho, but he's definately more charasmatic.

anyway, it gets the thumbs from me(y)

Documad
10-13-2006, 11:23 PM
When the new series started being shown over here, I decided that if I was writing the show, I'd bring back my favorite assistant Sarah Jane Smith or the blond assistant from before her (Jo?) because it would be fun to see the Doctor relating to a much older assistant. I've had that thought quite often in fact. It would be funny to have the old assistant not recognize the Doctor.

Now we finally have the second season on Sci Fi channel, and I could not have been more surprised to hear Sarah Jane Smith's voice tonight. Nice effort.

It's also freaking me out that Giles from Buffy the Vampire Slayer is the bad guy and he looks so horribly old. :(

befsquire
10-13-2006, 11:50 PM
i thought for sure it was going to be tracky who dug this thread up.

icy manipulator
10-14-2006, 12:01 AM
When the new series started being shown over here, I decided that if I was writing the show, I'd bring back my favorite assistant Sarah Jane Smith or the blond assistant from before her (Jo?) because it would be fun to see the Doctor relating to a much older assistant. I've had that thought quite often in fact. It would be funny to have the old assistant not recognize the Doctor.

Now we finally have the second season on Sci Fi channel, and I could not have been more surprised to hear Sarah Jane Smith's voice tonight. Nice effort.

It's also freaking me out that Giles from Buffy the Vampire Slayer is the bad guy and he looks so horribly old. :(
oh man, you guys are only getting the 2nd series now? oh you poor things.

Documad
10-14-2006, 12:17 AM
oh man, you guys are only getting the 2nd series now? oh you poor things.
Yes, and they only play them once a week on Friday nights now, so if I forget to tape it I'm screwed. When they released the first series it was on 3-4 times over the weekend.

discopants
10-18-2006, 02:58 AM
Can't they film it live like they did in the 60's and have people forgetting their lines and shit? "Radiation gloves". Classic. I'm going to nail my flag to the wall and reveal that I cant wait for the Invasion to come out on DVD next month. Yes, I am sad.

On the new series I thought Tennant was okay but too foppish, like Pertwee but without a army man in a fake moustache to shout it so he ends up a bit Hugh Grantish. Why the fuck were the Cybermen fat? Bringing the Daleks back at the end of episode 11- wot, like they did last year? The episode with the Devil was cool.

icy manipulator
10-18-2006, 06:05 AM
"you would destroy the cybermen with 4 daleks?!"

we would destroy the cybermen with 1 dalek!"

classic stuff,

anyway, i thought this was pretty funny

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0s95Mm0cFqg&mode=related&search=

discopants
10-18-2006, 06:41 AM
Fat Cyberman: "This is war"

Dalek: "No, this is pest control".

Fern
10-18-2006, 11:01 AM
Dr. Who is the shit, but Eccleson (sp?) was better

icy manipulator
12-28-2006, 12:20 AM
so any of you poms get a chance to catch The Runaway Bride?

Parkey
04-14-2007, 06:28 PM
It would appear that Dr. Who is turning into Star Wars... There's more than one Timelord left. Well well well. I wonder if this is going to be the evil timelord storyline that's been knocking around for a while now.

Pres Zount
04-15-2007, 01:10 AM
I vote David Tennant as the hottest Dr. Who ever. Who agrees?

Odie
04-15-2007, 01:13 AM
god yeah! Paul McGann was worth one too.

It would appear that Dr. Who is turning into Star Wars... There's more than one Timelord left. Well well well. I wonder if this is going to be the evil timelord storyline that's been knocking around for a while now.

yeah, it'll be The Master init'?

Documad
04-15-2007, 01:23 AM
Oooh. Spoilers. I love David Tennant as the Doctor but what's been really missing from the show is other timelords. I hate that they killed them all off and we're stuck on earth all the time.

Parkey
04-15-2007, 12:56 PM
god yeah! Paul McGann was worth one too.

yeah, it'll be The Master init'?
It would seem so. Isn't John Simms playing him?

Parkey
04-17-2007, 05:22 PM
Just seen the Radio Times (http://www.radiotimes.com/content/magflash/) cover at Tesco, and it would seem we've got ourselves a Dalek/Human hybrid... Oh aye!

I'm guessing the Doctor will end up forming an alliance with some old-school art deco daleks to beat these new fuckers.

icy manipulator
04-18-2007, 04:08 AM
the 3rd series has been ok so far. i didn't expect the daleks to be coming back so early in the series. $20 says one of the old doctors will come back in the end of the series. cant wait for this weeks episode@!

Parkey
04-18-2007, 07:09 AM
McCoy?!

icy manipulator
04-18-2007, 07:28 AM
parkey do you know which ones are still alive? i assume the first 3 would be dead by now, considering how old Tom Baker looks now

Parkey
04-18-2007, 07:32 AM
Yeah - I reckon it's Baker onwards... I remember hearing some rumours a while back that the bloke who played Egg in This Life was going to appear as an alternative Doctor.

icy manipulator
04-18-2007, 07:44 AM
i've gotta download some of the old episodes. pity the Tom Baker series is about 45 gigs. my housemates have already cracked the shits at me for downloading 25 gig of Blakes 7 this month. i've only ever really watched most of the Tom baker episodes and a handful of Peter Davidson episodes. i watched a couple of the Colin Baker episodes but the american assisant pissed me off too, much. i need to hit up my best friend's dad for some of the older episodes. after he named his first child after one of the Doctor's assistants :rolleyes:

UBER NERD!!

icy manipulator
04-18-2007, 09:02 AM
i love this Comic Relief
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9uugVWW_XE&mode=related&search=

question tho, do any of you poms know if this was made before or after The Runaway Bride?

Parkey
04-18-2007, 09:05 AM
i love this Comic Relief
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9uugVWW_XE&mode=related&search=

question tho, do any of you poms know if this was made before or after The Runaway Bride?
I imagine after - I know they normally start filming the Comic Relief stuff around November, and The Runaway Bride would have been the summer...

The BBC are really hammering this next episode - the advert is on every 5 minutes.

Parkey
04-18-2007, 04:44 PM
Crackerjack! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LN91wmtuY8)

Parkey
04-18-2007, 04:45 PM
Is that how people in Noo Yawk speak then?

icy manipulator
04-22-2007, 11:24 PM
fuck that broadway accent was horrible.

what the hell is one of these half breeds gonna do? the doctor's gonna kick it's ass

na§tee
04-23-2007, 03:20 AM
no one was impressed when i said the first time round that dr who has been to my house for dinner :(

also, saturday's episode was the first dr who i have watched in its entirety since the tennant came on the scene with his first entrance. dem evolved dalek's don't look pretty!

venusvenus123
04-23-2007, 03:26 AM
no one was impressed when i said the first time round that dr who has been to my house for dinner :(

also, saturday's episode was the first dr who i have watched in its entirety since the tennant came on the scene with his first entrance. dem evolved dalek's don't look pretty!
i only just recently started watching dr who (because of my son). i'm impressed by this fact -- do you mean david tennant?

na§tee
04-23-2007, 03:35 AM
goodness, if it was david tennant i would have exploded in a fit of scottish delight.

no no, sadly it was sylvester mccoy (http://www.solarnavigator.net/images/dr_who_sylvester_mccoy.jpg) :( old school. no one is a fan of him as dr who, no one. but STILL, you know, the time lord in my flat, cooking dinner? that's gotta count for something, right?

venusvenus123
04-23-2007, 04:04 AM
it only counts if you went in his TARDIS to another time and place. sorry :(

Parkey
04-23-2007, 08:01 AM
I'm impressed na§tee! Doctor in the house is thumbs up regardless of the heritage...

I wasn't that impressed with the episode on Saturday - they seem to be relying on the Daleks a bit too much to prop up rough shod storylines.... That said, it's the 1st of a two parter - so it may well get better.

icy manipulator
04-23-2007, 08:18 AM
i wouldn't mind if they actually went somewhere besides earth for once

Parkey
04-23-2007, 08:31 AM
i wouldn't mind if they actually went somewhere besides earth for once
Too right. I think they've got an obsession with us...

icy manipulator
04-29-2007, 03:28 AM
evolution of the daleks was a big let down (n)

Parkey
04-29-2007, 09:01 AM
evolution of the daleks was a big let down (n)
Aye - it weren't special.

I'm hoping the whole Saxon thing is killer... I'm placing my bet on it being something to do with the Doctor's hand that fell to Earth in the Xmas special a couple of years back.

na§tee
04-29-2007, 09:09 AM
WHY does he not speak in a scottish accent?

GUTTED.

:(

/watched last 10 minutes of last night's episode.

Gareth
04-30-2007, 02:25 AM
i dont watch dr who, but this is sweet: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDxFqw36KQ0
making of the doctor who theme (y)

icy manipulator
04-30-2007, 02:56 AM
ah, i've seen this place in the extras on Blakes 7 dvd.

anyway, dr who has to have one of the best theme songs ever (y)

that is a bloody cool vid too

Parkey
04-30-2007, 06:39 AM
It's a shame they decided not to go with the BBC Radiophonic Workshop theme tune for the new series. I'm not liking the current orchestral one...

icy manipulator
04-30-2007, 06:41 AM
yeah they need something more classic. it's weird they haven't had chris eccelstone/david tennants face in the titles in the new version

Parkey
04-30-2007, 06:44 AM
yeah they need something more classic. it's weird they haven't had chris eccelstone/david tennants face in the titles in the new version
Yeah I agree - ditch the lazy graphics...

What did you think of the last episode? Do you think it's possible that Saxon could turn out to be Sec's Son...?

icy manipulator
04-30-2007, 07:02 AM
he has to be the other timelord i reckon. prolly survived the time war by making a deal with the daleks so now he's a real bad ass.

but i really have no idea. i just watched the series teaser trailer after the credits of The runnaway bride, pretty much everything in it has already happened so far. and after next week i guarantee every segment from the trailer will have happened.

the writters are sneaky little buggers i tell ya. who knows what's to come

Parkey
05-01-2007, 02:28 PM
I hope it is the Master - wasn't he a snake last time we saw him...

If the Dalek pops up in the series finale I'll be mighty dissapointed. We need more episodes like "Are you my Mummy?".

Parkey
05-04-2007, 09:08 AM
Bring back the old starts! Who! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZyexmx4wAo)

Parkey
05-05-2007, 06:12 PM
Tonights was ok - nowt special, but the kind of episode which keeps Dr. Who ticking along nicely.

However... The advert for what's upcoming was FUCKING FANTASTIC. Please look; Oh Yes (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spwrBPXj9zQ)!

Fuck Spiderman and all that shit - this is entertainment!

icy manipulator
05-06-2007, 12:26 AM
our internet's been capped. i have to wait til thursday to watch it :(

Parkey
05-06-2007, 08:40 AM
our internet's been capped. i have to wait til thursday to watch it :(
Shit!

The advert at the end is ASTONISHING! Honestly, I nearly creamed...

Watch it on Youtube!

Parkey
05-19-2007, 02:14 PM
Well, i thought 42 was really tight despite the Red Dwarf-esque sets...

I'm proper excited about Saxon! Oh yes.

icy manipulator
05-28-2007, 05:51 AM
Human Nature's looking to be pretty damn good. i seriously didn't expect it to be a 2 parter til the credits came up, lol.

What's this i hear about Kylie Minogue being in one of the episodes?

and yeah, it's looking to be that mr saxon is the master :D

venusvenus123
05-28-2007, 02:23 PM
WHY does he not speak in a scottish accent?

GUTTED.

:(

/watched last 10 minutes of last night's episode.

you've no need to feel marginalised, soon you'll have a scottish prime minister!

i loved the last episode. can't believe i'm looking forward to the next instalment on sat.

icy manipulator
06-03-2007, 08:14 AM
is it just me or does this season suck compared to the last? the last episode really didn't seem that great. maybe i should stop comparing everything to Doomsday. the last 2 parter better be fucking awesome

Parkey
06-03-2007, 01:57 PM
I've heard good things about next weeks, 'Blink'. It's a Doctor-Lite episode, but the BBC have had doubts about showing it before watershed - which must be a good thing...

icy manipulator
06-03-2007, 03:52 PM
you mean it's going to be a bit like Love and Monsters? i really liked that episode

Parkey
06-03-2007, 04:41 PM
you mean it's going to be a bit like Love and Monsters? i really liked that episode
I believe so. From what I can gather it's a good old haunted house tale with the doctor only appearing on a TV he left there as a warning. That could all be bollocks mind you.

Auton
06-03-2007, 11:44 PM
is it just me or does this season suck compared to the last? the last episode really didn't seem that great. maybe i should stop comparing everything to Doomsday. the last 2 parter better be fucking awesome

just you... last season was way too smug and soapish for my tastes, and i wanted to strangle rose about 90% of time. i actually thought "human nature"/"family of blood" was the best story since "Caves of Androzani," personally... the only flat out bad story this series was "Daleks in Manhattan"... other than that, i think this series is coming close to the flawless first season with Christopher Eccleston. Cannot wait for "Sound of Drums/ Last of the Time Lords"

VOTE SAXON!

Documad
06-04-2007, 07:04 PM
just you... last season was way too smug and soapish for my tastes, and i wanted to strangle rose about 90% of time. i actually thought "human nature"/"family of blood" was the best story since "Caves of Androzani," personally... the only flat out bad story this series was "Daleks in Manhattan"...

I agree. I was also sick to death of Rose's mom.

The recent two-parter was nearly perfect. And the Daleks one was horrid.

David Tennant is more than a pretty face. :) I like him better than Eccelston. :rolleyes:

icy manipulator
06-08-2007, 11:32 PM
series 1 and 2 plus all the confidentials marathon on UKTV right now. god bless the poms:D

Parkey
06-09-2007, 01:37 PM
Blimey! 'Blink' was proper good... Kids will be shitting it around statues for weeks.

icy manipulator
06-09-2007, 11:37 PM
yeah it was brilliant, i loved it. Captian Jack's back next week!

Parkey
06-10-2007, 07:37 AM
yeah it was brilliant, i loved it. Captian Jack's back next week!

"Was someone just kissing me...?!"

Documad
06-10-2007, 04:17 PM
It was amazing how scary slow motion statues are. I was thinking "this is ridiculous" and at the same time I was wanting them to hurry up and get in the tardis.

It was interesting that I didn't really miss the Doctor either.

Parkey
06-10-2007, 04:19 PM
It was amazing how scary slow motion statues are. I was thinking "this is ridiculous" and at the same time I was wanting them to hurry up and get in the tardis.

It was interesting that I didn't really miss the Doctor either.

Not having the Doctor gives it more a sense of peril I think... When he's there he always steps in when the shit kicks off.

Apparently they cut 30 seconds from the sequence in the house towards the end. The bit with the flashing basement light had me shitting it.

Auton
06-10-2007, 08:30 PM
yeah i nearly crapped my pants. awesome episode

Documad
06-10-2007, 08:39 PM
I've finally caught up, but I watched them slightly out of order. Can someone explain the Saxon plotline? What are we supposed to know about this Saxon?

I <3 Auton's Tom Baker avatar.

icy manipulator
06-11-2007, 12:24 AM
I've finally caught up, but I watched them slightly out of order. Can someone explain the Saxon plotline? What are we supposed to know about this Saxon?

I <3 Auton's Tom Baker avatar.

the whole Mr Saxon thing is series 3's version of Bad Wolf and Torchwood. it appears Mr Saxon is the master, seems to be lots of little clues, Face of Bo saying You're not alone Timelord, Mister Saxon rearranged is Master No. Six, like Doctor Who and Torchwood

i'm not too sure what happened to the master tho, been along time since i've seen the movie. i think his essence escaped from the Eye of Harmony or some shit like that. one of the others will prolly know

P of R
06-11-2007, 02:02 AM
My dad likes the new Doctor Who a lot. So much in fact, he bought some sort of gun/pen thiny with invisible ink and lamp that makes it visible again.

Makes a cool sound too!

Documad
06-11-2007, 10:39 PM
My dad likes the new Doctor Who a lot. So much in fact, he bought some sort of gun/pen thiny with invisible ink and lamp that makes it visible again.

Makes a cool sound too!

Posting photos of my mug again. (http://www.beastieboys.com/bbs/showpost.php?p=1272014&postcount=37) :p

My mug makes no sound though. :(

icy manipulator
06-11-2007, 10:53 PM
that mug is fucking awesome

P of R
06-11-2007, 11:51 PM
I'll get some photos of the pen-thing.

Auton
06-12-2007, 12:32 AM
Posting photos of my mug again. (http://www.beastieboys.com/bbs/showpost.php?p=1272014&postcount=37) :p

My mug makes no sound though. :(

yeah man... i love that shit.

P of R
06-12-2007, 01:33 AM
Ok here it is.

http://img179.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=32411_P1010235_122_560lo.JPG
http://img19.imagevenue.com/view.php?image=32412_P1010236_122_681lo.JPG
http://img21.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=32417_P1010237_122_807lo.JPG
http://img178.imagevenue.com/view.php?image=32423_P1010238_122_551lo.JPG
http://img157.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=32425_P1010239_122_662lo.JPG

icy manipulator
06-12-2007, 01:44 AM
ah, though it"d look like a sonic screw driver. wicked

P of R
06-12-2007, 04:07 AM
I should have written something witty with it.

Auton
06-12-2007, 03:16 PM
that's rad.. i didn't know they had one with dissappearing ink

icy manipulator
06-15-2007, 08:31 AM
i just had a thought. it's looking to be pretty obvisous that john simms/mr saxon is going to be The Master. but who exactly is Captain Jack? i just saw the 5th episode of torchwood so i know that he's very old. haven't seen the rest, but is it possible that he's a timelord? hence the reason the Face of Bo said to Tennant that he's not alone? it's prolly nothing, just a thought that crossed my mind

Parkey
06-15-2007, 08:33 AM
i just had a thought. it's looking to be pretty obvisous that john simms/mr saxon is going to be The Master. but who exactly is Captain Jack? i just saw the 5th episode of torchwood so i know that he's very old. haven't seen the rest, but is it possible that he's a timelord? hence the reason the Face of Bo said to Tennant that he's not alone? it's prolly nothing, just a thought that crossed my mind

I was hoping that Jack may turn out to be the Face of Bo...

icy manipulator
06-15-2007, 08:40 AM
ha, nothing would surprise me now. i've heard there's gonna be a 4th series yet Freema's not going to be in it. Jip's gonna slice that bitch up.

Parkey
06-15-2007, 08:43 AM
Really?! That would be proper harsh... In a good way you understand.

So is Derek Jacobi going to be;

a) The Master
b) Another Timelord
c) Dr Who in a different regeneration

I read we are getting a regeneration sequence this week...

icy manipulator
06-15-2007, 08:51 AM
who the hell is derek jacobi?

oh i just heard Freema doesn't wanna do another series. i grew more attached to Billie anyway :cool:

Parkey
06-15-2007, 08:54 AM
who the hell is derek jacobi?

oh i just heard Freema doesn't wanna do another series. i grew more attached to Billie anyway :cool:

Boof (http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/news/cult/news/drwho/2007/01/26/40319.shtml)!

Parkey
06-16-2007, 01:24 PM
ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

How fucking good was that?!! And a Beastie Boys reference to boot...

icy manipulator
06-17-2007, 12:18 AM
ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

How fucking good was that?!! And a Beastie Boys reference to boot...

couldn't have said it any better. these final 2 episodes are gonna be killer!

Parkey
06-17-2007, 09:30 AM
couldn't have said it any better. these final 2 episodes are gonna be killer!

Honestly, TV doesn't get much better than that...

Auton
06-17-2007, 05:21 PM
this is seriously a golden age for doctor who... the whole thing was brilliant, sir derek jacobi was amazing, and talk about bringing the last three seasons together! hot damn! i cannot wait for 'the sound of drums' and 'last of the timelords'

Documad
06-17-2007, 05:29 PM
AAAHHH. I just finished watching. I KNEW it would be a cliffhanger, but I was still dying when the Tardis disappeared.

All the lead actors are strong, it's such a pleasure to watch.

Parkey
06-17-2007, 05:35 PM
It really is stunning. I can't wait to see the next two - this is special TV.

icy manipulator
06-17-2007, 05:39 PM
i see you're on the OG forum too Parkey, lol (y)

Parkey
06-17-2007, 05:45 PM
I am indeed... Are you in there and all?

ET
06-17-2007, 06:04 PM
I didn't start watching the show until I saw the making of the old, old, old theme song on YouTube and I'm getting into it. A video of the making of the theme song, of all things.

Parkey
06-17-2007, 06:07 PM
The Radiophonic Workshop was fantastic. If only they'd have kept the original music for this series. It's untouchable.

ET
06-17-2007, 06:14 PM
Agreed. The symphonic version looses a lot of the, er, mystery and just all around spaciness that the images do so well at conveying.

I can see why the decision was made to go that route as they wanted to provide a more cinematic experience with the show in general, I take it. It's really well done as compared to the b&w shows I had watched as a veeeeeery young lad on our public broadcasting system. But this is like comparing Hawaii Five-0 to CSI. I had just discounted the series before based on it's presentation and the fact that the Arsenio Hall show was playing at the same time. Big mistake. :o

icy manipulator
06-18-2007, 12:22 AM
i love that video, may have to watch it again. for the 80's it's pretty damn impressive on how they made it.

Parkey, i've only been there a couple of weeks, i even have less posts that you. lol. there's way too many sub forums. and i really know fuck all compared to 99% of those fiends on there. some of them have over 40000 posts

also i've always been affraid of meeting the parents of girls i'm chasing. cept the current one i'm going for well her dad named after a character from Blakes 7, named his first daughter after a doctor who assistant and their after Lister in Red Dwarf. i'm feeling fucking confident :D

Parkey
06-18-2007, 10:21 AM
I'm well out of my depth on there... I tend to read rather than write!

You're bang on the money with that chick! Boof!

Auton
06-18-2007, 11:49 AM
what are your guys screennames on OG? I'm Auton (surprise surprise), but i've only posted like, 5 times. i lurk there everyday though

Parkey
06-18-2007, 11:51 AM
I'm Parkey there and all. I'm trying to resist going into the Spoiler section as much...

voltanapricot
06-18-2007, 06:01 PM
My god I was so tense watching the last episode I stopped breathing. This Saturday can't come quick enough!

icy: where did you hear this about Freema?

icy manipulator
06-18-2007, 06:13 PM
icy: where did you hear this about Freema?
i think i saw it in some article. i'm not sure how much truth there is behind it tho. could just be all speculation

i'm icy manipulator on the OG forum, but yeah i pretty much just lurk too. i only have 6 or 7 posts. it's the only other board i've joined and i signed up just coz you have to be a member to browse:confused:

Parkey
06-20-2007, 01:35 PM
I like the speculation that the Face Of Bo may be the Doctor's hand...

Parkey
06-23-2007, 06:33 PM
Hmmmm... Interesting episode. I thought the comedy jarred a bit to start with, but The Master's disregard for the human race was conveyed nicely by his "it's all a bit of a laugh" attitude.

The end was nice and desolate too. As to what the Toclafane are... As long as it's not Daleks or Cybermen I'll be happy. In face, if it is them I'll be happy. I'm expecting a young Captain Jack to help Martha when the Time Agents detect the watch thing being used by a normal person.

Auton
06-24-2007, 03:26 AM
john simm is the shit... i absolutely loved him in that. and wow! gallifrey! timelords in their original costumes and everything! can't wait for next week

icy manipulator
06-24-2007, 10:19 AM
this finale's gearing up to be better than doomsday

Parkey
06-24-2007, 10:31 AM
I'm abroad for the finale... Bollocks to it.

Randetica
06-24-2007, 11:07 AM
i hate this thread cause it gets bump assed all the time and i have no clue what this dr who shit is all about

Lex Diamonds
06-24-2007, 11:15 AM
i hate this thread cause it gets bump assed all the time and i have no clue what this dr who shit is all about
No, it's not "Dr Who". Who is not a name, although the fact that there is no question mark after Doctor Who means that it is not a question. Anyway, The Doctor is his name and can't be shortened to "The Dr".

I'm glad that's settled.

And yeah this series is awesome. I didn't like how gay the previous one was getting with Billie basically being the fag-hag to Tennant's closet homo, which I felt was a shame after loving the Eccleston series. But I think Rose needed to go for the show to move on and I've really enjoyed every episode this year. I feel pretty lame in that I am actually looking forward to Saturday purely for Doctor Who. :(

Parkey
06-24-2007, 11:19 AM
There is no shame in that Padster. No shame at all...

Lex Diamonds
06-24-2007, 11:21 AM
It's all very well for you, you're over the hill.

I'm 18 and in my prime and expected to be in poorly lit nightclubs drinking Corona and Aftershock dancing to Akon. :(

Parkey
06-24-2007, 02:00 PM
http://www.votesaxon.co.uk/

Randetica
06-24-2007, 04:25 PM
that dr who shit starts to annoy me

make it stop!

Auton
06-24-2007, 04:46 PM
No, it's not "Dr Who". Who is not a name, although the fact that there is no question mark after Doctor Who means that it is not a question. Anyway, The Doctor is his name and can't be shortened to "The Dr".

I'm glad that's settled.

And yeah this series is awesome. I didn't like how gay the previous one was getting with Billie basically being the fag-hag to Tennant's closet homo, which I felt was a shame after loving the Eccleston series. But I think Rose needed to go for the show to move on and I've really enjoyed every episode this year. I feel pretty lame in that I am actually looking forward to Saturday purely for Doctor Who. :(

(y)

icy manipulator
07-01-2007, 10:53 PM
am i the only who hated/ didn't understand how the doctor escaped and regenerated from the master? pretty disappointed with it

so, jack is boe, martha may be gone, but RTD is suppose to be announcing what's meant to be happening her today in a press conference

and Voyage of the Damned......... is tennant gonna meet up with eccelstone????

paul jones
07-03-2007, 06:25 AM
2 cybermen.....

dalek leisureley....

Auton
07-03-2007, 12:46 PM
am i the only who hated/ didn't understand how the doctor escaped and regenerated from the master? pretty disappointed with it

so, jack is boe, martha may be gone, but RTD is suppose to be announcing what's meant to be happening her today in a press conference

and Voyage of the Damned......... is tennant gonna meet up with eccelstone????

yeah the finale was a really mixed bag, with some really cool aspects and some really bad ones, especially the infamous peter pan moment...
I don't think there's a chance of Eccleston being in the christmas episode. I would love it to death if he was, but he never said in what incarnation he was when we was "floating on an iceburg" in The End of The World. Still, I think it should be a good episode, and really don't mind that Kylie Minogue is going to be in it.

oh and interesting the martha is going to be in torchwood for 3 episodes before rejoining the tardis crew, huh?

icy manipulator
07-05-2007, 07:33 AM
well there was also that pic of eccelstone in Rose where he's with that family he stopped from getting on the titanic. but yeah, it seems unlikely that he'll come back for the episode.

i remember that rumour of kylie coming on an episode but totally forgot about it. so she's just gonna be like a Catherine Tate type assistant just for Voyage of the Damned? highly doubt she'll be the new assistant, but then they did have Billie Piper for 2 seasons. maybe they like having singers as assistants....

bloody hell, i just made the big mistake of just listening to Because We Want To :o

voltanapricot
07-05-2007, 04:10 PM
Funny you're looking at it that way when it's been confirmed Catherine Tate is coming back as the new companion (http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/news/cult/news/drwho/2007/07/04/46831.shtml). I wasn't too keen on The Runaway Bride but it'll be interesting to see how those episodes pan out.

Just for fun here's a relevant sketch (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxB1gB6K-2A) by Tate.

icy manipulator
07-06-2007, 12:12 AM
oh shit, catherine tate is funny, but her character is so bloody annoying in the runnaway bride. oh bugger

Parkey
07-07-2007, 06:38 PM
Just managed to watch it... Hmmm. Enjoyed it, but was really iffy in places. I rather liked the Peter Pan section and the death of The Master was really powerful. I presume we're going to have the Doctor start hearing the drums at some point in the coming series. Also, what was with the Master's ring at the end? Was it his chick or can we assume that was him in some other reincarnation.

As for Tate - fuck that shit. I really didn't like her in the Xmas episode and thought Martha was bang on the money. I hope Jack continues to make appearances... Not just within the big jar.

icy manipulator
08-10-2007, 03:50 AM
dont know if this is old news but
http://www.ifmagazine.com/feature.asp?article=2267
looks like martha's coming back for nearly half a season. hopefully they realised how fucking annoying Donna is and they write into the script that she gets screwed to death by a daleks eye piece

keen to see how kylie minogue goes as an assistant

Auton
11-17-2007, 11:59 PM
so how awesome was 'time crash' last night? 100 different kinds of awesome, i say. peter davison's doctor was always my favorite since i was a wee baby

icy manipulator
11-18-2007, 12:05 AM
*heads to torrents site*

sweet avatar btw auton (y)

Auton
11-18-2007, 02:15 AM
thanks! philip glenister/gene hunt is the shit!

Documad
11-18-2007, 08:07 PM
so how awesome was 'time crash' last night? 100 different kinds of awesome, i say. peter davison's doctor was always my favorite since i was a wee baby
He was never properly appreciated because Tom Baker was so popular with the Americans. Then when you see the clown who followed him, you realize that Mr. Davison was quite good in the role. I liked the Pertwee episodes best even if they were before my time.

I like Tennant a lot, but I still don't like it that all the plots revolve around Earth. I miss the other timelords! It was a nice gesture. I suppose that Davison really was Tennant's favorite Dr. Who? He would be about the right age.

icy manipulator
11-30-2007, 05:04 AM
anyone seen The Sarah Jane Adventures? any good? i'm bored as bat shit so i'm getting the first episode now

Auton
12-01-2007, 03:05 PM
it's really really REALLY a kid show, but it actually gets pretty good by the end of the series. like, 'what happened to sarah jane' is just as good as some of the better episodes of doctor who. some of em, like the eye of the gorgon one, are just kind of meh. i felt silly watching that one.

Parkey
12-01-2007, 03:11 PM

Ooh, I missed this post. It was fucking ace - really sparkled. I loved it.

Let's have less mention of "timey wimey" this series...

paul jones
12-03-2007, 07:28 AM
the new Dr Who are well shit and that's a fucking fact

they should have stopped after Tom Baker

icy manipulator
12-03-2007, 07:37 AM
oh come on, you would've had at least 3 or 4 wanks over billie piper

paul jones
12-03-2007, 07:39 AM
oh come on, you would've had at least 3 or 4 wanks over billie piper

nah she's all teeth

icy manipulator
12-25-2007, 11:47 PM
Voyage of the Damned was well wicked(y)

Auton
12-29-2007, 04:53 PM
yeah it was easily the best of the christmas specials, by far

and the new doctor who series is amazing. the 2005 series in particular was the most consistently brilliant series the show has ever had, in my opinion, followed by pertwee's first season, tom baker's last, and davison's second.

Documad
12-29-2007, 05:47 PM
pertwee's first season
<3

Auton
04-06-2008, 03:08 AM
anyone watch the series opener tonight? i thought it was super, super silly- it didn't even feel like doctor who... more like a show on the disney channel guest starring characters i love. then again, the new show has kind of a trend opening with the weakest episode of the season, so i'm not really shocked. i actually liked it though. it's not like it was much sillier than rose, daleks in manhattan, or half of series two.

3.5/5 for me. maybe a 3. i'll know for sure by the end of the season.

icy manipulator
04-06-2008, 10:21 AM
wtf was with rose at the end?

Randetica
04-06-2008, 10:34 AM
it looks like a typical 10 cent uk production, my mum loves it

Auton
04-06-2008, 12:28 PM
wtf was with rose at the end?

yeah wasn't expecting that. didn't think she would pop up until the very end of the season. but it was cool

icy manipulator
04-14-2008, 08:40 PM
yeah this episode was much better. glad to see that catherine tate's character isnt the annoying bitch that she was in The Runaway Bride

Auton
04-15-2008, 02:33 AM
yeah dude, i wasn't really looking forward to the pompeii ep, but it blew me away, especially the last 10 minutes. great stuff. (y)

Documad
04-22-2008, 06:40 PM
I'm ready to eat my words. I thought I was going to hate Ms. Tate, but she's been good. I like that she's an independent thinker and pushes the doctor a bit. She's a better assistant than the other two in this new series. I never thought I'd say that.

I have no idea what's coming, or what the clues mean, but I'm enjoying the show.

icy manipulator
04-22-2008, 07:26 PM
i've heard lots of funny rumours. a uk torrents site i visit reckons the last 4 episodes will be on the Time War. i know all 3 assistants will be in one episode, and captain jack makes an appearance too. rumour that sarah jane comes back. and davros too, to be played ben kingsley, not sure how much truth there is to that one tho.

speaking of sarah jane i've been watching the tom baker years lately and maybe someone can answer me this, why the hell did sarah jane have K9 in School Reunion even tho k9 first appeared when Lela was the assistant?

icy manipulator
04-27-2008, 06:53 PM
i hope that kid genius cops a slow and painful death next episode

paul jones
04-27-2008, 08:11 PM
What IS the point of Doctor Who?

you know he always wins

and the aliens are about as scary as Thomas the tank engine

icy manipulator
04-27-2008, 08:19 PM
are you a little jealous of david tennant mr jones?????

paul jones
04-27-2008, 08:59 PM
are you a little jealous of david tennant mr jones?????

yeah cos he's got 2 hearts,living in just one mind,together forever,til the end of time....she knows she knows...

fuck ,you've got me singing phil collins now

it said in the paper Phil collins is going to retire

I though the cunt already had

fucking little slaphead he is

icy manipulator
04-27-2008, 09:11 PM
paul, you and me, kareoke, invisble touch (y)(y)

venusvenus123
04-28-2008, 01:21 AM
anyone watch the series opener tonight? i thought it was super, super silly- it didn't even feel like doctor who... more like a show on the disney channel guest starring characters i love. then again, the new show has kind of a trend opening with the weakest episode of the season, so i'm not really shocked. i actually liked it though. it's not like it was much sillier than rose, daleks in manhattan, or half of series two.

i don't think anyone outside the UK is going to get the introduction of donna as the new assistant. i think that first episode, with her return, was supposed to be cheesy. i thought it was brilliant, in its own way.

but the following ones are getting back to business as usual.

PJ: Doctor Who is aimed at children, which is why it's on at 6.45 ish.

Auton
04-28-2008, 05:43 AM
oh no doubt it was supposed to be goofy- i don't understand why people outside of the uk wouldn't "get" the introduction of donna as the new companion though.

so far so good with this series though- not a weak episode yet. the sontaran strategem actually was a whole lot better the second time around... i think the first time i was just nervous because it was written by helen raynor, and since i hated 'daleks in manhattan' like most people did, i wasn't sure if she could come up with a story (at least ones featuring iconic doctor who monsters) that was worth a deuce. proved me wrong though. i'm sure the second part will be good too.

and yeah i hope that amerrrrrrrcan kid eats it big time.

venusvenus123
04-28-2008, 05:55 AM
oh no doubt it was supposed to be goofy- i don't understand why people outside of the uk wouldn't "get" the introduction of donna as the new companion though.

it's because she's well known here for her character catherine tate and a lot of the things donna says are reminiscent of her. perhaps catherine tate is known elsewhere...?

Auton
04-28-2008, 06:02 AM
it's not like her character is asking everybody "am i bothered?" though. i don't think watching her show is relevant to enjoying or understanding her as a character on an other show, even on just a comedic basis.

icy manipulator
04-28-2008, 06:06 AM
it's because she's well known here for her character catherine tate and a lot of the things donna says are reminiscent of her. perhaps catherine tate is known elsewhere...?

anyone who's pretty big in the uk is relatively well known in australia. she's on the ABC, aka the Pom channel.

i love the doctor comic relief thing she did as lauren. 'do you fancy billie piper sir?'

venusvenus123
04-28-2008, 07:28 AM
it's not like her character is asking everybody "am i bothered?" though. i don't think watching her show is relevant to enjoying or understanding her as a character on an other show, even on just a comedic basis.

i thought you were american therefore i didn't think you'd know who catherine tate was. i'm really just saying if you didn't know who she was then you're unlikely to have reservations or any pre-conceived ideas of how she will fare as the new assistant. i think she was chosen for the fact that her show is so popular and she brings a certain flavour of the show to the role--she's a lot funnier than martha jones.
i don't think she's the best actor in the world tho and it does often feel like she's about to say "am i bovvered?"

Lyman Zerga
04-28-2008, 08:22 AM
doctor poo! haha!

Documad
04-28-2008, 11:06 AM
I'm an American and I had limited exposure to Catherine Tate before I saw her on Doctor Who, but I didn't like anything I saw her do. I also didn't like the Runaway Bride episode. But if she needles the doctor instead of mooning over him, she can stay as long as she likes.

I was also afraid that she would have been so famous from her own stuff that they would adapt the show to her "talents." Perhaps I misunderstood and she wasn't as famous as I thought over there?

Auton
04-28-2008, 11:36 AM
i thought you were american therefore i didn't think you'd know who catherine tate was. i'm really just saying if you didn't know who she was then you're unlikely to have reservations or any pre-conceived ideas of how she will fare as the new assistant. i think she was chosen for the fact that her show is so popular and she brings a certain flavour of the show to the role--she's a lot funnier than martha jones.
i don't think she's the best actor in the world tho and it does often feel like she's about to say "am i bovvered?"

oh, ok. i understand where you're coming from now. (y)

and yeah, i'm american. i just enjoy things that come from the uk more than most things that come from the us.

Lex Diamonds
04-28-2008, 12:09 PM
I don't understand this. Catherine Tate is not a character, Catherine Tate is the actress who plays all the characters on The Catherine Tate Show (no shit) and now plays Donna in Doctor Who.

Glad we cleared that up.

venusvenus123
04-28-2008, 01:49 PM
yes, well spotted, you dope fiend.

catherine tate is a person who has a show. i have to admit i have only watched about one or two episodes as i don't find it very funny. the most famous character is lauren. but most of her characters seem to be similar. i can't really tell catherine tate apart from any of the "characters" she plays. sorry for the confusion!

this is almost as confusing as scones and biscuits.

Lex Diamonds
04-28-2008, 01:58 PM
I think as the part was written with her in mind they probably tailored it to her style (ie the type of characer she usually writes). She might have had some input too.

venusvenus123
04-28-2008, 02:00 PM
and she really is more of a comedian than an actress... from what i can tell. she has very little range.

icy manipulator
05-05-2008, 05:32 AM
i've just watched Doomsday. seriously, now i wanna know why the fuck rose is back. and with next weeks episode, the doctor's daughter? what's going on there? his granddaughter is in one of the serials from the pertwee years isnt she?

Auton
05-05-2008, 02:17 PM
and she really is more of a comedian than an actress... from what i can tell. she has very little range.

really? i disagree mucho

Auton
05-05-2008, 02:19 PM
i've just watched Doomsday. seriously, now i wanna know why the fuck rose is back. and with next weeks episode, the doctor's daughter? what's going on there? his granddaughter is in one of the serials from the pertwee years isnt she?

nah, his granddaughter susan was his first companion

icy manipulator
05-11-2008, 06:54 AM
$100 says jenny's going to cause some major trouble later on. tell you what, the 4th series so far is looking a hell of a lot better than the 3rd

Auton
05-11-2008, 11:34 AM
i hope it's leading to that and not a spinoff. that would be bad news.

and yeah the first half of series 3 wasn't that great. didn't like shakespeare code really, and daleks in manhattan/evolution of the daleks was pretty embarrassing to watch. the second half of that series was a BEAST though (even if the last of the timelords was a letdown)

icy manipulator
05-14-2008, 02:32 AM
do you watch confidential as well? david tennant was hinting at her coming back later on. the whole Davros/Time War thing is seeming more and more likely. are you still on the OG forums? has there been any talk about that?

Lex Diamonds
05-15-2008, 04:18 AM
Seems like spin-off material to me, which is a shame.

If I was the Doctor, I would totally have a threesome with Jenny and Martha. Don't get me wrong, I don't condone incest but she's a mega hottie and rules were made to be broken.

Donna could watch and maybe play with herself, but I don't want any of that mid-40s action. I bet she's selfish in bed anyway.

icy manipulator
05-16-2008, 01:36 AM
if i was the doctor i'd get down on that incest, interspecies threesome bliss (y)

Auton
05-16-2008, 11:55 AM
do you watch confidential as well? david tennant was hinting at her coming back later on. the whole Davros/Time War thing is seeming more and more likely. are you still on the OG forums? has there been any talk about that?

I've seen all the confidentials except for last weeks. I wouldn't mind having her back on the show, but I really hope she doesnt get her own spin-off. yeah I still go to the OG forums. I mostly lurk but once in a while I say "LOLZ" or say "_______ sucks", just like I do with this messageboard- But yes, people on there have been talking about a potential spin-off ad nauseum, mostly how they don't want it to happen. Of course if it did come about I'd watch it, but it probably would suck pretty hard. I mean, I watch torchwood and that sucks balls.

Seems like spin-off material to me, which is a shame.

If I was the Doctor, I would totally have a threesome with Jenny and Martha. Don't get me wrong, I don't condone incest but she's a mega hottie and rules were made to be broken.

Donna could watch and maybe play with herself, but I don't want any of that mid-40s action. I bet she's selfish in bed anyway.

LOLZ

yeah Jenny was filthy hot.

icy manipulator
06-01-2008, 04:04 PM
yeah last night's episode reminded me way too much of that absolute piece of shit Fear Her. next week's has the premise to be good but i really hope they dont fuck it up with something stupid

na§tee
01-03-2009, 05:01 PM
what does everyone think of the new doctor who (http://www.guardian.co.uk/culture/garethmcleanblog/2009/jan/03/doctorwho-television)? :eek:

paul jones
01-03-2009, 05:43 PM
what does everyone think of the new doctor who (http://www.guardian.co.uk/culture/garethmcleanblog/2009/jan/03/doctorwho-television)? :eek:

what a cunt!

Parkey
01-01-2010, 07:00 PM
I ain't going to lie; I got a bit misty eyed when he regenerated - especially his little moment of denial just before it happened. And not a wanking dalek in sight.

Tennant; I'll miss you!

paul jones
01-01-2010, 07:27 PM
And not a wanking dalek in sight.

!

outrageous!(n)

Lex Diamonds
01-05-2010, 11:21 PM
Tennant cried on his last day on set. What a faggot.

He will be sorely missed though. The new one seems shit. But then that's what I said about Tennant.

TurdBerglar
01-05-2010, 11:39 PM
the this has been going on for ages. what the fuck is this thing.

Documad
01-06-2010, 02:41 AM
I DVR'd the last two shows but haven't watched them yet. To be honest, I have been getting a bit sick of Tennant. This last season with just intermittent shows was the last straw.

gbsuey
01-11-2011, 03:26 PM
I've dragged this thread out again 'cause i didn't want to make a whole new one about just one episode but i've been watching one of Series 5 a fair bit and every time ijust think it's amazing-it's the one about van Gogh and the most part it's pretty cheesy-chased by some giant alien bird around Provence-but it's the ending that i keep flipping back to. They take van Gogh into the future to a big exhibition of his work and talk to the curator about how important he is and how he thinks he's the best painter the world's ever seen. I think you just need to see it-i'm shit at explaining stuff, but it makes me cry every time! I just think it's such an awesome scenario-to take someone like van Gogh who lived a painful tortured fucked-up life and would never have believed his work was worth anything to anyone, and show him exactly what it was he did. just saying..:o

Myu-to
01-14-2011, 04:07 AM
I dig the new Doctor. Watched all of the new season, after it over I found older episodes with Tennant, and was all like "Blimey, that's the bloke from Harry Potter!" I still wait for him to do that flicky tongue thing.

gbsuey
01-14-2011, 11:52 AM
i tried to find the clip of the ending but can't-this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khvC1M14S1M&feature=related) is the closest thing to it-same music. and quite relieved i'm not the only who cries!

A. Chimendez
01-14-2011, 09:07 PM
Now that its all on Netflix streaming, we're going through all of it. Near the tail end of the first season. Awesome stuff.

Oh, and saw a handful of episodes of the latest season on New Year (including the Christmas special) and I really like matt smith.

Guy Incognito
02-24-2011, 12:04 PM
Barman: "Sorry we dont serve timelords here"
Timelord walks into a bar

Freebasser
02-24-2011, 03:17 PM
:( (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-12549622)<---R.I.P.

A. Chimendez
02-24-2011, 07:20 PM
Almost done with season 4.
God I love David Tennant.

Parkey
04-26-2011, 03:30 PM
No ononistic daleks yet, but I'm liking the Scream silence chaps.

Pond is still a dick though.

Myu-to
04-30-2011, 01:58 AM
Pond is still a dick though.
Explain, please.

icy manipulator
09-24-2011, 08:57 AM
you know what, this series is a pile of shit. there's way too many filler episodes with sweet fuck all going on. if they're going to make so many fillers at least make a decent doctor-lite episode again :mad:

gbsuey
09-25-2011, 12:29 PM
I agree...this last episode was all the doctor feeling a bit sorry for himself about dying....couldn't give a shit quite frankly!! :(

JoLovesMCA
10-21-2011, 10:47 AM
Matt Smith is officially cool in my BOOK!

http://blogs.bbcamerica.com/anglophenia/2011/10/19/photos-doctor-who-star-matt-smith-at-the-scream-awards/#3

FunkyHiFi
10-21-2011, 04:55 PM
I finally got used to Matt Smith and like him, but Amy Pond can sometimes be a bit....snooty....but not enough for it to be really irritating. I like Rory though, plus it's nice to have a guy character on these trips to regularly interact with the Doctor, which means there are no underlying guy/girl relationship issues to deal with* (sorry but I'm a sci-fi purist: give me aliens, cool starships and adventure and leave the red puffy eyeballs and whining behind! :)).

Anyone know what happened to those "advanced" Daleks that were revealed early this year in the episode featuring the spaceships that looked like WWII-era fighter planes? Btw for an evil character I think they looked pretty good! :o

* though I am a major fan of Warehouse 13 (http://www.syfy.com/warehouse13/about) (remember that huge warehouse at the end of Raiders Of The Lost Ark?), which along with lots of humor features relationships which I do agree helps "flesh out" the characters, but they don't get in the way of the stories. BTW, H.G. Wells - a woman! and an attractive one too! - is a major reoccurring character in the show