PDA

View Full Version : Resident Evil 4 vs. GTA San Andreas

THRILLHO
01-09-2006, 09:56 PM
I know they're only console games, and ones that come as the PS2 draws its dying breaths development-wise, but I feel that either of these games are the pinnacle in enjoyment for Sony's little box. No Halo, no matter.

I never ever ever ever thought a game could suck me in like San Andreas, but RE4 has done it. True, it's not free-roaming, but it's so playable it doesn't matter. The music makes me shit myself (in the village areas) and later on in the hospital is like my terror sexual fanatsy personified. All those upturned gurneys and autopsy rooms. (y)

I actually found my sniping skills gleaned from SA came in handy.

TurdBerglar
01-09-2006, 10:03 PM
san andreas is for pc too

THRILLHO
01-09-2006, 10:05 PM
san andreas is for pc too

I'm talking ps2.

Can you really add your own mp3's to the radio stations on the PC version?

TurdBerglar
01-09-2006, 10:06 PM
yeah

Ace42X
01-09-2006, 10:08 PM
SA is a marvel, but I had a few niggling doubts. I found it too empty. Yes the biggness was a draw, but it was under-utilised.

The "hidden package" system was made redundant by having a different set in each mission.

There was serious pop-up issues when using nitros, and the garages often "ate" custom paint jobs.

Street races chose your car for you, so pimping out a vehicle in a shop was a bit pointless.

The camera was worse than in Vice City, and was VERY annoying when flying choppers, especially the Hunter.

That said, as I opened with, it was an amazingly clever game with a lot going for it. A hybrid between that and Vice City would be perfect.

THRILLHO
01-09-2006, 10:11 PM
See, I find Vice City a bit hollow in comparison. I guess the biggest draw of San Andreas for me is the whole 1992 thing, and the Easy Rider tribute.

I find it hard to criticise the game, but that Ace guy is right about the glitches.

That's where I prefer a construct like Resident Evil 4, there's very few glitches.

Really, I'm just thinking out loud about these two games being the best of the Ps2 as we approach ps3.

Bob
01-10-2006, 08:25 AM
RE4 really is pretty amazing, it showcases what the PS2 is capable of if you push it. graphically it's unbelievable, but the gameplay is so awesome. i got like 3 new games for chirstmas, and since then, i've still spent most of my christmas break playing RE4 (which i've had since october).

i've been trying to get the hand cannon by getting 5 stars for every person on every level in mercenaries mode...it's so fucking hard, because leon blows goats.

i just beat professional mode recently, that shit was tough, but i did it. the krauser fight was ridiculous, i'm still not sure how i beat him. i did it all with the knife, which surprisingly turned out to be a lot easier than using any guns. it's that arm of his, it blocks all your shots, but he moves it away when he gets close...apparently the knife does about 3x damage during that fight.

the problem though, is you can't swing it if it's prompting you to dodge, which is incredibly annoying. he'll get close, you'll have an opening to swing, but then it'll prompt you to dodge, only you can't because you're trying to swing the knife, but you can't, because you're supposed to dodge, and you end up getting smacked. and in pro, all of his hits take away like half your health, even the undodgable ones.

but i beat him goddamnit.

THRILLHO
01-10-2006, 09:14 AM
RE4 really is pretty amazing, it showcases what the PS2 is capable of if you push it. graphically it's unbelievable, but the gameplay is so awesome. i got like 3 new games for chirstmas, and since then, i've still spent most of my christmas break playing RE4 (which i've had since october).

i've been trying to get the hand cannon by getting 5 stars for every person on every level in mercenaries mode...it's so fucking hard, because leon blows goats.

i just beat professional mode recently, that shit was tough, but i did it. the krauser fight was ridiculous, i'm still not sure how i beat him. i did it all with the knife, which surprisingly turned out to be a lot easier than using any guns. it's that arm of his, it blocks all your shots, but he moves it away when he gets close...apparently the knife does about 3x damage during that fight.

the problem though, is you can't swing it if it's prompting you to dodge, which is incredibly annoying. he'll get close, you'll have an opening to swing, but then it'll prompt you to dodge, only you can't because you're trying to swing the knife, but you can't, because you're supposed to dodge, and you end up getting smacked. and in pro, all of his hits take away like half your health, even the undodgable ones.

but i beat him goddamnit.

Wow. You're fucking good. Krauser was a bitch the first time, then I just used my Broken Butterfly on his feet until he lowered that crazy arm. Then Kerblaow.

I'm not very thorough it seems, and I'm really just making it through the story.

I'm gonna play through again, basically not as sloppily as I did first time around. And then I'll probably play through again.

I noticed on the last chapter, what with more enemies around, there was some slight lag. But still, I can't get enough of this shit.

When I first encountered the regenerator, I shrieked to high heaven, and kept hearing that freaky breathing noise while I was lying in bed. It was the scariest thing I'd ever encountered, for no good reason.

ps. The knife can be surprising, I beat Salazar's right hand man using it.

Do you use the rifle to beat Salazar? One attempt at that battle and I just reloaded and bought a rocket launcher.

Bob
01-10-2006, 09:28 AM
i used the magnum to kill salazar. i used it for most boss fights actually (except verdugo, the right hand man, the predator looking guy, that asshole earned a rocket kill), you don't get a ton of ammo for it, but it does a ton of damage, so i saved it for boss fights. except for krauser of course, because his damn arm blocks all the shots, making you waste them. i only used it on him when i had him stunned, and even then it was hairy, because he doesn't stay stunned long.

the broken butterfly's exclusive upgrade gives it 50(!!!) damage, so it's definitely worth upgrading. the red9 is invaluable too, its exclusive upgrade gives it 6.5 damage, which is a fucking lot for a handgun. you can kill most ganados in about 3 hits, even on pro, which is good, because on pro you don't have time for many more hits than that.

the rifle is good for boss fights too though, assuming you've upgraded its firepower. the magnum is generally the best though, i think.

the mine launcher is also suprisingly useful. ammo is pretty rare (more rare than magnum ammo), but it's saved my life on the few occasions that i've used it. it's great for when there's a group of those shielded assholes at a distance. just hit one with a mine, and it blows up all the shields. it's just generally useful for killing groups of enemies. it also won me the last boss fight. just fire a mine at his feet and it'll stun him and reveal his weak point. it was actually pretty easy, especially coming off of krauser.

THRILLHO
01-10-2006, 09:31 AM
Here's how fuckin retarded I am: Where do you find the magnum? As opposed to buying it?

I bought one just before Krauser cause I kept finding all that ammo.

I sold the TMP too, fucking piece of shit. (n)

I have to play through about six more times. At least.

Oh yeah, San Andreas is wonderful too, one year plus on.

Bob
01-10-2006, 09:36 AM
the TMP has saved my life repeatedly too. it's the best weapon to use against novistadors (those flying bugs), in my opinion. the shotgun works too, but the TMP is the best. it's good if you have to kill a lot of enemies very quickly, if you have the ammo to spare. i dunno, i like it.

i missed the magnum my first time around too. it's in the castle, it's in a room that you need ashley to piggyback into. after you rescue her, you know, after the part where you have to play as her, and do that annoying mosaic puzzle, and you meet up with leon again, you can backtrack a little to that room, and it's in there. if you have a treasure map, there's a treasure in that room too, so just make sure you get every treasure on the map (something that's smart to do anyway) and you can't miss it.

there's loads of good shit in that room. there's the magnum, a treasure, a yellow herb, and a few more things that i've forgotten. it's definitely worth getting into, no question.

THRILLHO
01-10-2006, 09:43 AM
the TMP has saved my life repeatedly too. it's the best weapon to use against novistadors (those flying bugs), in my opinion. the shotgun works too, but the TMP is the best. it's good if you have to kill a lot of enemies very quickly, if you have the ammo to spare. i dunno, i like it.

i missed the magnum my first time around too. it's in the castle, it's in a room that you need ashley to piggyback into. after you rescue her, you know, after the part where you have to play as her, and do that annoying mosaic puzzle, and you meet up with leon again, you can backtrack a little to that room, and it's in there. if you have a treasure map, there's a treasure in that room too, so just make sure you get every treasure on the map (something that's smart to do anyway) and you can't miss it.

there's loads of good shit in that room. there's the magnum, a treasure, a yellow herb, and a few more things that i've forgotten. it's definitely worth getting into, no question.

I'll hit it up next time round.

I missed the infra-red scope too. Had to reload and run from that Statue in the Castle.

I'm bad, but I get there.

instigator7022
01-10-2006, 10:00 AM
i just like shooting hookers.

Freebasser
01-10-2006, 10:02 AM
San Andreas would be the perfect game if it weren't for those trees that render right in front of me when I'm flying.

I hate those bastard trees.

THRILLHO
01-10-2006, 10:22 AM
San Andreas would be the perfect game if it weren't for those trees that render right in front of me when I'm flying.

As far as console games go, it's so close to perfect it hurts.

There's a few graphical woes, but the attention to other details more than compensates.

True story: I know my way around San Andreas better than my home town. (y)

Planetary
01-10-2006, 02:45 PM

exactly, thats my only fault, thoguh my disc is a little bit scratched. i still play that game now, even though i have 100%

and all this talk about res4 is making me want to buy it and be a hermit. :rolleyes:

but i think i'll keep my money and get NBA '06

THRILLHO
01-10-2006, 07:25 PM
exactly, thats my only fault, thoguh my disc is a little bit scratched. i still play that game now, even though i have 100%

and all this talk about res4 is making me want to buy it and be a hermit. :rolleyes:

but i think i'll keep my money and get NBA '06

I've got mad respect for 100% on San Andreas.

(y)

Planetary
01-11-2006, 05:53 AM
I've got mad respect for 100% on San Andreas.

(y)

word, wasn't fuckin' easy though. so many grueling nights of finding the photo ops that didn't have logos etc. the last thing i had to do was buy all the property and it was easy cause its on the map :D now as soon as i turn it on i just go into my fighter jet or tank right outside my house and blow things up :D

roosta
01-11-2006, 06:01 AM
is Resident Evil 4 worth it?

the reason i ask is this, i have SERIOUS attention deficit disorder when it comes to computer games. i barely play them. i waited 2 years for "the warriors" to come out, got it, played it for 3 days solid, and havnt looked at it since. same with san andreas, but for some reason RE4 has caught my eye. i loved the other games, and i far prefer puzzle/mystery games to action games, but i dunno if its worth it...

is it that good?

Planetary
01-11-2006, 06:59 AM

RE4 has caught my eye. i loved the other games, but i dunno if its worth it...

is it that good?

THRILLHO
01-11-2006, 08:32 AM

the reason i ask is this, i have SERIOUS attention deficit disorder when it comes to computer games. i barely play them. i waited 2 years for "the warriors" to come out, got it, played it for 3 days solid, and havnt looked at it since. same with san andreas, but for some reason RE4 has caught my eye. i loved the other games, and i far prefer puzzle/mystery games to action games, but i dunno if its worth it...

is it that good?

I was the same way with Warriors. But RE4 hooked me. Give it a go. It's fuckin sweet. (y)