PDA

View Full Version : I saw someone play air guitar today

abcdefz
02-10-2006, 11:29 AM
True story, and since I'm lazy, I'm going to do a cut and paste job from an e-mail message I sent earlier.

I have nodding relationships with various regulars on the commute to work. Surly the Bus Driver, Talking Keith, etc.

That's about all the setup you need for this, except maybe to keep in mind that when I get on the bus in the morning, it's still dark out. And chilly, but, to me, a really light jacket keeps me more than warm.

Okay:

I never told you about another person you'd love. Civic Center kid. He's -- I don't know -- maybe in his first twenties or something, Asian guy, and we see each other each morning as we wait for different buses. But he's always bundled to the hilt -- ski mittens, a fat oversized down coat, track pants on top of something else, heavy ski cap, and he sort of dance/bounces to keep warm. Definitely has the inner drummer thing going on, because he's not wearing headphones or anything, but he bounces bounces bounces probably all of a half inch off the ground, doing these sort of steps. Like if Prince were in ankle chains. This morning he added a little air guitar. I don't know if this is the result of one of those dancing arcade games or play-guitar-with consoles or what.

The funny thing is, we are just totally glad to see each other, which is hilarious. I don't think he speaks English, because when I used to say "'morning!" he'd reply in some language I don't know at all. But resolutely -- morning after morning, he'd unapologetically reply (insert whatever he was saying here). But now we've trimmed it down to "Hey!" "Hey!"

So it's about 5:10 A.M. I arrive at the Civic Center bus stop, and that's where a light rail station is, also. He sits there on the platform until he sees me, then grabs his bike and dashes over to the bus stop.

"Hey!"

"Hey!"

Big, bright grins, then I go back to my paper and he watches down the street. Bounce bounce bounce. It's funny. I feel like Buddy Glass with my very own Little Man in the Top Hat.

instigator7022
02-10-2006, 11:30 AM
Air guitar is America's most popular instrument