PDA

View Full Version : The Office

B4BY 4NN
02-15-2006, 11:58 PM
AMERICAN version.

Yeah, so..

I might be on there. They're filiming in the restaurant I work at for next season, or making a replica of it. The series takes place in my hometown... SCRANTON!

Yippey yippey yah, yippey yah yah yey.

DandyFop
02-16-2006, 12:00 AM
Best comedy on TV now that AD is gone.

It kinda creeps me out though cause I realized that I was writing a character JUST like Dwight in my screenplay and now all I can think about is him when I write it!!

You'll have to let us know when the episode is on.

B4BY 4NN
02-16-2006, 12:08 AM

It kinda creeps me out though cause I realized that I was writing a character JUST like Dwight in my screenplay and now all I can think about is him when I write it!!

I don't watch the show, my sister does religiously.

And yeah, definitely. I'll let you know. It's sort of hush-hush now since not everybody will be chosen to play some insignificant role if at all. Right now I'm just kissing ass as the days go along. NAHNAH.

hitmonlee
02-16-2006, 12:53 AM
they only showed the american version here for like 2 weeks
everyone was all "the english is better"
i appreciated them both equally, i get both the british and american humour
stupid tv station :(

Ace42X
02-16-2006, 12:55 AM
The yank one sucked. So predictable.

Medellia
02-16-2006, 12:58 AM
I haven't seen the American one. I saw a couple of episodes of the original and liked it, but didn't love it.

Mr Films
02-16-2006, 01:41 AM
i just finished up the whole of the British version on DVD. and then promptly put disc one back in and watched it again.

it's fucking amazing, to me anyways.

unlike American shows, it feels like one big show split into parts. really not a weak episode among them.

and the "special" where they follow up is touching as all hell.

DandyFop
02-16-2006, 01:53 AM
I haven't seen the American one. I saw a couple of episodes of the original and liked it, but didn't love it.

I didn't really give it a chance untill this season. It's really hilarious, though. More obvious than the other one, yes, but at the same time, it's less cringe-worthy (watching David in the office version was unbearable sometimes). It's more sictomy for sure, but really good stuff.

Ace42X
02-16-2006, 01:55 AM
it's fucking amazing, to me anyways.

(y)

paulb
02-16-2006, 03:07 AM
thats pretty cool that they are filming at your place. I do perfer the english version alot more than the American though.

Kid Presentable
02-16-2006, 03:31 AM
I consider the UK version to be a work of genius. Fashion dictates that it might not be considered so, but fuck it; I think it's faultless.

The US version just didn't do anything for me.

na§tee
02-16-2006, 03:40 AM
as we say in this country, nae offence!
just be grateful you don't live in slough.
that's, like, near reading, dude!
:cool:

DandyFop
02-16-2006, 03:45 AM
I consider the UK version to be a work of genius. Fashion dictates that it might not be considered so, but fuck it; I think it's faultless.

:confused: Pretty much everyone loves this show...

Anne Lauren
02-16-2006, 05:02 AM

Are you talking about that show, Arrested Developement? Cause almost literally everybody I know loved that show. They said it had really "intelligent humor"...like the scripts were well written and the characters were really well developed. I, personally, never watched it...but it always got great reviews.

DandyFop
02-16-2006, 05:20 AM
Yes I'm talking about Arrested Development. It's fantastic show. You should rent it.

Anne Lauren
02-16-2006, 06:05 AM
Yes I'm talking about Arrested Development. It's fantastic show. You should rent it.

Is it out on DVD yet? Cause, actually, my friend said that I needed to rent the first season and just sit down and watch it all the way through...like a TV marathon or something.

Do you like 24? I had never watched the show during the first two seasons...the previews didn't look too interesting to me. Anyway, my friends said it was awsome, so I rented the first season and like literally stayed up all night watching all the damn episodes. Each episode ended with a great cliffhanger, so you just had to watch the next episode to find out what happened...and main characters were being killed off, so you never knew what to expect. Anyway, I thought the first two seasons were the best...then the storylines started getting kinda redundant.

And I've heard Lost was great too. But, I'm so far behind, I have no idea what's going on in the new episodes.

DandyFop
02-16-2006, 06:07 AM
AD has seasons 1 and 2 out. You have to watch it from the beginning. There's a billion inside and running jokes, so it's the best idea.

Lost season 1 is really great and should also be watched from the beginning.

I've been thinking about checking out 24 myself.

Planetary
02-16-2006, 06:09 AM
apparantly they're making a german version now, too.

i can't find it on the net anywhere, but i read it in the paper last week...

Kid Presentable
02-16-2006, 08:11 AM
:confused: Pretty much everyone loves this show...
It's reached the point where it's becoming acceptable to bag Gervais, and label his success a 'fluke'.

Sarky Devotchka
02-16-2006, 10:46 AM
It's reached the point where it's becoming acceptable to bag Gervais, and label his success a 'fluke'.

that's stupid. they just started running The Office (uk) on PBS here and the last episode of season one was on and I've seen it like 5 times, but it still gave me chills. the music they pick, the editing, it's fucking simple and touching and great.

as for the US version, it's a lot lot better than it was in the beginning. the episode where the men go down to the warehouse is so awkward and hilarious! when Michael gets the pizza and says something like, "everyone loves pizza. white people love pizza, black people love pizza...wait, black people like pizza, right?" ha ha!

Kid Presentable
02-16-2006, 10:52 AM
that's stupid. they just started running The Office (uk) on PBS here and the last episode of season one was on and I've seen it like 5 times, but it still gave me chills. the music they pick, the editing, it's fucking simple and touching and great.

Hey, I love the UK version. Myself and the woman do little 'Brent-isms' for everything. I made her a cup of tea, and she went: "Tea....Yeah? Not afraid of being unlike coffee....Doesn't follow 'The Rules'....". And that's how we roll.

It's my perfect show. It exposes the flaws in almost every type of human condition, in both funny and sweet ways. Plus, it was so awesome that the Christmas specials were as consistently good as the legacy laid down by the first two seasons.

But that said, many people dismiss Gervais as a hack. There are haters in abundance. Yeah?

*Bares teeth, just a bit; not quite smiling, not quite uncomfortable*

Bob
02-16-2006, 11:06 AM
the british one is probably one of my favorite shows of all time, right behind the simpsons. it's too bad there were only the two seasons.

i haven't really given the US version a fair chance, though. i watched one episode, and i was so offended by the fact that someone other than gareth was playing the gareth character that i couldn't watch it again. i'm being unfair though, i realize that, i've been meaning to give it another try. i just uh, haven't.

ASsman
02-16-2006, 11:06 AM
Bah, could have gotten a few DVD box sets instead of my iPod Nano. Buh, next time.

DIGI
02-16-2006, 11:17 AM
It's the only TV show I watch religiously. Love it.

DandyFop
02-16-2006, 12:40 PM
i haven't really given the US version a fair chance, though. i watched one episode, and i was so offended by the fact that someone other than gareth was playing the gareth character that i couldn't watch it again.

I'm glad you'll admit to this. I wouldn't give it a fair try either at first, cause I was like everyone else in assuming that it was just gonna suck compared to the other one. But the more you watch it, the characters are very different from the original in a lot of ways, especially Dwight (the "Gareth" character).

One of my favorite things in the US version is the stuff that happens with the old guy...like when someone does that disgusting thing in Michael's office and everyone's about to puke from the smell, he shows up and goes "Someone makin soup?" Awesome.

B4BY 4NN
02-16-2006, 01:03 PM
You work at Hooters?

No. And the Hooter's thing is reason why they're going to film at MY restaurant. There isn't a Hooter's in Scranton.

abcdefz
09-18-2006, 09:35 AM
My two doinks:

The UK version of The Office is genius. True genius -- humor, pathos, brilliant acting, everything.

I watched a couple of episodes of the first season of The Office (USA) and didn't much care for it. I read a warm review of season two and watched the first two discs over the past week, and it's all right. It's all right. It's like a decent cover version of a song, made more obvious (some of the interview interjections BLATANTLY comment on the action, in case you missed the humor), but it's got a certain amount of charm. It's not necessary at all (and the UK version is), but it's all right.

DandyFop
09-18-2006, 10:05 AM
It's not necessary at all (and the UK version is), but it's all right.

You're wrong.

beastieangel01
09-18-2006, 10:08 AM
that's pretty cool. Take pictures!

abcdefz
09-18-2006, 10:10 AM
You're wrong.

It's not the first time.

But, hear me out:

Giving Dwight so much screen time -- that alone is a problem. Dwight is a caricature in a way that Gareth never was.

Actually, that might be the best way to describe the thing that makes the US version kinda flimsy -- it's the caricature version of the UK version's scenario.

-- which is much, much better the being the caricature of the UK show itself; that would mean it's not observant at all. But at its worst (the Dwight character, the real marginalization of Ron, a very-unrealized Angela [? -- the stickler lady]), it's sitcom stuff, through and through, and that's not as nearly as interesting or engaging as the UK version.

DandyFop
09-18-2006, 10:12 AM
Nah, still wrong.

Kid Presentable
09-18-2006, 10:16 AM
The U.K version took its premise and characters and wrote inwards; made a bunch of little sketches for them all, punctuated by plot points. League of Gentlemen does this, too.

The U.S version relies too heavily on the characters and not the scenarios, and for my money, the characters just aren't good enough to lift the show.

abcdefz
09-18-2006, 10:20 AM
Fire Dwight; hire Gob. :D

Kid Presentable
09-18-2006, 10:22 AM
"Look at us crying like a pair of girls!"

abcdefz
09-18-2006, 10:26 AM
:D

Kid Presentable
09-18-2006, 10:36 AM
Michael's response was very Brent-ish, to me.

jackrock
09-18-2006, 05:10 PM
Guess who made Sluts' avatar? :o

Yeah, i would pretty much kill for one of those bobbleheads.

Lex Diamonds
09-18-2006, 05:20 PM
apparantly they're making a german version now, too.

i can't find it on the net anywhere, but i read it in the paper last week...
Hey, when did you learn to read?

Planetary
09-18-2006, 05:25 PM
sooner than you apparantly. i made that post months ago!

icy manipulator
09-18-2006, 05:25 PM
well, the UK version definately shits all over the US version imo

Lex Diamonds
09-18-2006, 05:29 PM
sooner than you apparantly. i made that post months ago!
I learned to read when I was like 2. A few months ago you would have been what, 18?

Way to go, champ. (y)

Planetary
09-18-2006, 05:44 PM
you mean you're not 2 now? woah. i just presumed, by the poor quality of your poor grammar and wit, that you were.