PDA

View Full Version : Fucking crutches

mp-seventythree
02-20-2006, 06:14 AM
Bah, I'm supposed to be using crutches to walk for at least the next week, but they're not particularly useful for getting round the house......this shit is getting frustrating.

scotty
02-20-2006, 06:21 AM
Crutches suck arse. I was on them many years ago for 3 weeks after I ripped my ankle to shreds playing football and I hated every minute of it.

Why you on crutches?

mp-seventythree
02-20-2006, 06:25 AM
I had an op on Friday to clear out some fucked up cartilage and repair the hinge joint.

enree erzweglle
02-20-2006, 06:25 AM
I tore a calf muscle while I was on vacation a couple of years ago and spent most of the summer on crutches. I thought it would ruin my vacation (it didn't) and then my summer (it didn't). I met people that I never would have met otherwise and it wound up being a good thing to be on those crutches.

I hope your time off your feet goes quickly and that it turns up a couple of pleasant surprises for you. At the very least, you can take this opportunity to learn to like soduku. :D

mp-seventythree
02-20-2006, 06:30 AM
My girlfriend keeps trying to get me into Soduku, but it's not really my thing. I'm now at the stage where I don't have to sit with my leg elevated all day, although I have to shower with clingfilm wrapped round my leg as they taped the cuts rather than stitching them.

I might go out for a walk later, I reallly need some fresh air.

scotty
02-20-2006, 06:32 AM
I had an op on Friday to clear out some fucked up cartilage and repair the hinge joint.

I dislocated my anlke for a couple of seconds, straining all the ligaments over the top of my foot and tearing away some muscle from the achilles tendon. My footy career was effectively over because I couldn't get the strength back and still don't 13 years later.

I did, however, develop a keen interest in drugs from that point

mp-seventythree
02-20-2006, 07:13 AM
Well at least your story has a happy ending! Sorry, I neglected to say in my earlier post that this was my knee.

enree erzweglle
02-20-2006, 08:19 AM
My girlfriend keeps trying to get me into Soduku, but it's not really my thing. I'm now at the stage where I don't have to sit with my leg elevated all day, although I have to shower with clingfilm wrapped round my leg as they taped the cuts rather than stitching them.

I might go out for a walk later, I reallly need some fresh air.

My kid gave me a soduku book for Christmas and I can do them, but I don't quite enjoy them.

They say that you should do stuff like that to stave off memory problems but I think I'd rather find some other way to do that.

Knee injury...ick. I do hope it heals completely and that wherever you are, you can get around easily and enjoy warmth and sunshine and sidewalks without ice. The crocuses are up in my yard.

mp-seventythree
02-20-2006, 09:21 AM
Well it's cold and windy but dry. The forecast looks pretty goood for the next few days though, and my mum is taking me out tomorrow to get Jenn's birthday present (I'm not allowed to drive for a while).

I never thought I'd be getting excited about going out shopping with my mother :D

Anne Lauren
02-20-2006, 11:24 AM
Hey, I totally feel your pain. I keep having reoccuring problems with my right ankle. It's been going on since I was about 18...and I sprung it again last march and had to use crutches to help me get around. I'm probably gonna end up having to have surgery...which I'm dreading.

mp-seventythree
02-20-2006, 11:26 AM
Well I went for a walk, but it was quite an effort.....though I'm quite pleased with myself for actually getting off my arse rather than sitting watching tv all day.

mp-seventythree
02-20-2006, 12:18 PM
Hey, I totally feel your pain. I keep having reoccuring problems with my right ankle. It's been going on since I was about 18...and I sprung it again last march and had to use crutches to help me get around. I'm probably gonna end up having to have surgery...which I'm dreading.

That's not good. Once this knee has fully healed I'll probably be getting an operation on the other one (for the same problems).

Anne Lauren
02-20-2006, 12:25 PM
That's not good. Once this knee has fully healed I'll probably be getting an operation on the other one (for the same problems).

Oh I know...it's just been a real pain in the ass. The first time I sprung it was during a football game...I landed on it the wrong way. Man, it hurt like hell too. It was also kinda embarrassing cause everyone was crowded around me, all like, "Are you OK? Are you sure? Where does it hurt?"

Then, I had messed it up two more times after that...Now, I'm almost paranoid to do anything...

Knuckles
02-20-2006, 01:36 PM
This board has been so perved out lately I thought this thread was Fucking crotches...

I hope you heal up well Mr. MP. I've heard knee surgery can take a while. (n)

mp-seventythree
02-20-2006, 01:38 PM
Yeah I have some really exciting exercises I'm supposed to be doing.......YAWN

voltanapricot
02-20-2006, 02:12 PM
Knee problems always seem to be real buggers, don't they? I hope both are better soon and they don't ever flare up again.

mp-seventythree
02-20-2006, 03:34 PM
Well lets hope so, my knee was shite before the op and I'm hoping it's to be at least a bit better once it heals.

I'm now able to get round the house without my crutches.....high five!

DapperDiverge
02-20-2006, 03:39 PM
I've never used crutches, but those things look like they can give you armpit blisters (n)

Anne Lauren
02-20-2006, 03:45 PM
I've never used crutches, but those things look like they can give you armpit blisters (n)

Yeah, they can make your armpits sore...but, without them, sometimes it's almost impossible to move around.

enree erzweglle
02-20-2006, 03:53 PM
Yeah, they can make your armpits sore...but, without them, sometimes it's almost impossible to move around.
Oh, when I did crutches, this guy at my work understood that underarm discomfort thing and tried to rig padding there for me.

He made the padding out of those pillows that come packed in Amazon & Barnes & Noble book orders. Plastic pouches, plump with air.

What he rigged sort of halfway really didn't work at all, but it was sweet of him to have tried.

Anne Lauren
02-20-2006, 03:57 PM
Oh, when I did crutches, this guy at my work understood that underarm discomfort thing and tried to rig padding there for me.

He made the padding out of those pillows that come packed in Amazon & Barnes & Noble book orders. Plastic pouches, plump with air.

What he rigged sort of halfway really didn't work at all, but it was sweet of him to have tried.

Well, enree...that was extremely nice of him! ;)

I bet that took some time!

enree erzweglle
02-20-2006, 04:08 PM
Well, enree...that was extremely nice of him! ;)

I bet that took some time!It was a system of those little air pillow things. He had it running from the top of the crutch down to the little crossbar for the arm. It was all wrong, but sweet. :)

Planetary
02-20-2006, 04:13 PM
if you're talking about the japanese puzzle craze, its sudoku, not soduku

marsdaddy
02-20-2006, 06:19 PM
My time on crutches was also a time for triceps strength training -- avoiding armpit blisters requires triceps.

I tore my right ACL about 20 years ago -- the 23rd will be the actual day! It took 6 weeks to walk without crutches and 6 months to play sports again. Do the rehab right and get better.

Anne Lauren
02-20-2006, 06:33 PM
My time on crutches was also a time for triceps strength training -- avoiding armpit blisters requires triceps.

I tore my right ACL about 20 years ago -- the 23rd will be the actual day! It took 6 weeks to walk without crutches and 6 months to play sports again. Do the rehab right and get better.

Oh yeah, I definately agree...it's all about the rehab. This last time...I had just gotten so burned out with it and didn't really listen to my doctor...which was stupid on my part.

mp-seventythree
02-21-2006, 03:51 AM
I think the British crutches are different to the US ones. Our aren't pit rubbers at all, there's a cuff thing you put your forearm through and a straight handle to grab onto. When you're holding the handle the cuff is sitting halfway up between your elbow and shoulder, so all the pressure is taken by your hand.

something like this (http://www.disabledaccessories.com/pages/productdetailsoptionone.asp?F_ProductID=1371)

enree erzweglle
02-21-2006, 04:04 AM
I think the British crutches are different to the US ones. Our aren't pit rubbers at all, there's a cuff thing you put your forearm through and a straight handle to grab onto. When you're holding the handle the cuff is sitting halfway up between your elbow and shoulder, so all the pressure is taken by your hand.

something like this (http://www.disabledaccessories.com/pages/productdetailsoptionone.asp?F_ProductID=1371)Right . Here, people with longer term problems use those.
When I had crutches, I remember thinking that those ^^^ would be so much easier. I researched using them over using the standard ones and eventually settled for taking what the insurance company was willing to pay for. It must have been cost prohibitive for me to have gotten a pair on my own.

I used that time, like marsdaddy did, to strengthen my arm muscles. Or try to. :

enree erzweglle
02-21-2006, 04:10 AM

I could raise myself up fine, but I couldn't sustain that for extended walks--like not if I wanted to go a few blocks on crutches. Anything more than maybe 5-10 minutes was hard.

When I did raise up, it wasn't my triceps that eventually gave out--it was my palms. Maybe my wrists too. It was probably just a technique problem--certainly, I think that was the case if my wrists were aching.

Crutches taught me this: handicap-access ramps are usually terribly designed. They meander, requiring people to go so far out of their way, and they're usually wonky too. I'm still keenly aware of a bad ramp or an afterthought ramp when I see one.

abcdefz
02-22-2006, 01:40 PM
Bah, I'm supposed to be using crutches to walk for at least the next week, but they're not particularly useful for getting round the house......this shit is getting frustrating.

:(