PDA

View Full Version : the straw that breaks the camels back...

iceygirl
02-22-2006, 10:33 AM
what is the point where you decide to look for different employment? when you love what you do (love/hate) but the things you are fed up with are things that will never change? do you champ it out where you are and keep doing what you are doing, or actively keep your eyes open to try a different avenue?

do you hate what you do, but you do an amazing job at it? but you also love it, but the hate part of it is something buried very deep in who you are?

does anyone get me? im gonna go eat some broccoli now.

ms.peachy
02-22-2006, 10:46 AM
My job that I had just before moving to London was like that. I'd done it for years and loved it immensely, but it took a lot out of me - I was BURNED OUT, and I had a bad manager (who wasn't a bad person, just a person in the waaay wrong position for her skills), and my department was under a LOT of pressure to make up some shortfall in other areas of the organisation - it had just gotten really, really, really tense, and I was seriously thinking I had to look for something else. The thing was that the 'core' job was really great, and I was running a program I believed in and (along with some very other dedicated people) had grown from scratch, and it would have broken my heart to just walk away from it under the circumstances.

Very fortunately for me, I never had to make the decision really, because mr.p got the offer to go to England, which meant I could walk away on good terms, without having to say "I'm leaving because I can't fucking stand this bullshit anymore" but instead saying "It's been wonderful; I'll give you a call when I'm back in the country." And I've been able to stay in touch with the people back there in that group, so if we move back, I could concievably move back into that organisation with no hard feelings.

But yeah I quite clearly remember what it's like, being in that position where you don't want to leave, and can't bear to stay. It sucks, a lot.

abcdefz
02-22-2006, 11:00 AM
....I don't know if there's a one-size-fits-all answer to "When do you leave your job?" My last job slowly turned into a bad combination of relatively low pay and ever-increasing responsibilities and expectations. I really think I was being pressured to quit, and a job came up elsewhere for quite a bit more money. So the stars kind of aligned.

It's amazing to me, because I'm making more than ever before for basically doing about... probably about two hours' work per week. It's nuts.

iceygirl
02-22-2006, 11:12 AM
yeah i guess things just happen they way they are supposed to most of the time (like both of the opportunities you guys mentioned).

ms.peachy
02-22-2006, 11:17 AM
So, keep your ears and eyes open for other things, but continue to make the best of where you're at, basically :)

iceygirl
02-22-2006, 11:18 AM
*nod*

when is your baby arriving?

ms.peachy
02-22-2006, 11:26 AM
In theory, 2 May.

abcdefz
02-22-2006, 11:30 AM
...it doesn't hurt to get your resume out and about; if people are discreet, let them know you're looking around.

iceygirl
02-22-2006, 11:35 AM
i havent put that much thought into it. i dont really know what i would even do.

thanks you two though, if i had to pick anyone to reply to me it would have been you. i wasnt sure with all the drama threads going on right now if anyone would notice lil ole me :P

abcdefz
02-22-2006, 12:04 PM
;)

iceygirl
02-22-2006, 12:14 PM
nevermind. i remembered what i want to do. there is this guy in town that everyone knows. his name is something cool like homer bean and he is THE guy in town that all the loaded people go to to get their diamonds. he doesnt have a store or anything, its just like buying drugs. you call him up, tell him what you are looking for, and he drops over. hes like 80 now, and will probably retire soon, and i think that would be the coolest, funnest job ever. i have a bug in a couple key ears, and im hoping he will make me his apprentice and hook me up with his connections. :P

abcdefz
02-22-2006, 12:23 PM
That sounds cool. (y)

iceygirl
02-22-2006, 12:41 PM
yes ill be like michelle phiffer (whatever sp) in that one 80's movie rolling around in diamonds

when are the oscars?

mickill
02-22-2006, 01:07 PM
Scarface??

My job was supposed to be a temporary one, just until I found something better. Seven years later, I'm sure I could have found something much better by now, but complacency is a tricky bitch.

The Oscars are March 5th, I believe. They suck, though.

iceygirl
02-22-2006, 01:12 PM
i think i was thinking actually of tequila sunrise, but i guess scarface was more the gist of it

hpdrifter
02-22-2006, 01:16 PM
I stayed at the job I worked in as a student when I was in college for 5 years after I graduated. I eventually left because I didn't want to be involved in the OSX conversion. Yes, they only did it like last month, were running 9.2 before that.

mickill
02-22-2006, 01:19 PM
i think i was thinking actually of tequila sunrise, but i guess scarface was more the gist of it

Because of the coke snorting or the crazy cuban drug lord husband? I'm guessing it was the latter.

Sarky Devotchka
02-22-2006, 01:25 PM
at my last job, they were pretty much trying to force me to leave because I wasn't a kiss ass and they didn't want to pay me more money. they brought up a bunch of bullshit and suspended me (with no previous warning, and telling me I was the best designer/framer they had just days before) from work for a couple of weeks, but paying me for my vacation. I got super pissed and quit on the spot.

I wish I would've been looking for other jobs though, because I really hated it there. I pretty much had to take the first thing that came along. it's okay, but not nearly enough money or hours. so I'm on the hunt still. I've had to tighten the budget, which also means that I eat less, so I'm able to tighten my belt another notch. which kind of rules. but I'd rather have the money. :(

iceygirl
02-22-2006, 01:27 PM
im hiring for 2 positions, maybe 3 if that includes mine :)

Sarky Devotchka
02-22-2006, 01:36 PM
hire me! what's the job?

enree erzweglle
02-22-2006, 01:37 PM
There have been times when I felt that I needed to leave this job, but mostly, it's been okay here.

I sent my resume to a few places a couple of years ago. Got calls back. One was at a small start-up down the street. The people there knew my then-boss and although I didn't list him as a reference, they mentioned to him that I'd interviewed with them. They didn't tell me that they were going to do that. He told me that he'd gotten a call from them. :eek:

So I collected myself and called them on that. "Ummm...I was surprised to hear that you mentioned our interview to my current supervisor." And they were all like, well what are you hiding that we can't mention that to him?!

I tried to explain that it's customary maybe to let an employee determine when it's best to tell her employer that she's interviewing for other positions. They absolutely didn't get that and gave me a look that suggested that I just confirmed that I really was hiding something. :rolleyes:

I thought that it was a blessing that I found out about that place before I took a job with them.

iceygirl
02-22-2006, 01:39 PM
hire me! what's the job?

selling jewels and stuffs of that sort

it really is a fun job, and you can dress up cute everyday and talk to people

iceygirl
02-22-2006, 01:41 PM
There have been times when I felt that I needed to leave this job, but mostly, it's been okay here.

I sent my resume to a few places a couple of years ago. Got calls back. One was at a small start-up down the street. The people there knew my then-boss and although I didn't list him as a reference, they mentioned to him that I'd interviewed with them. They didn't tell me that they were going to do that. He told me that he'd gotten a call from them. :eek:

So I collected myself and called them on that. "Ummm...I was surprised to hear that you mentioned our interview to my current supervisor." And they were all like, well what are you hiding that we can't mention that to him?!

I tried to explain that it's customary maybe to let an employee determine when it's best to tell her employer that she's interviewing for other positions. They absolutely didn't get that and gave me a look that suggested that I just confirmed that I really was hiding something. :rolleyes:

I thought that it was a blessing that I found out about that place before I took a job with them.

i was told it was a law that i had to have permission from my applicants if i contacted a present employer. they have to give me permission to do so. some people are so unprofessional :P

Sarky Devotchka
02-22-2006, 01:43 PM
selling jewels and stuffs of that sort

it really is a fun job, and you can dress up cute everyday and talk to people

hmm, I'm not very good at that. I'm more of a jeans girl. and I like to build stuff.

abcdefz
02-22-2006, 01:45 PM

...that's a thing I have no little fear of. Now that I've got things rolling here, they really don't need me anymore; I'd hate to give them just cause for letting me go.