PDA

View Full Version : The "democracy" of the message board

Qdrop
02-22-2006, 03:22 PM
I think it would perhaps be a worthwhile discussion....if we debated the POINT of a message board...
or more specifically, the General Discussion section.

obviously the other sections are pretty well laid out, as to thier intened subject matter.

but on the General Discussion section especially...there is often a lot of discussion as to WHAT people should take about, HOW MUCH they should talk about it, WHO should talk about it....etc, etc...

Many people (i included) have been recipients and senders of the "NO MORE" post.
or the "shut the fuck up" post.
all that fun stuff.

"why don't you fuck off, every one hates you...."
blah blah blah

it all boils down to where we draw "the line".

how do we determine if someone should stop talking about something...or not post anymore? or what subject we should talk about...

well, i contend that (other than the mods) it's not about any one person or small group of people dictating this....no matter how much they wanna bitch and whine (including my whiney ass).

it's about democracy.
we, the people choose, by how many replies a thread gets.

if a thread has 6+ pages of replies...obviously the People want to talk about it.
it needn't stop till the People stop replying.

if a topic keeps getting replies....we needn't stop making threads about it.

yeah, i hate the Simpsons vs (whoever) threads....
but, you know what...they get plenty of replies....so fuck it. i'll bite my lip.

people hate the "beef threads" and the "flame threads"?, tough shit...they get 10 pages of replies.
the People want them.

People want Qdrop and his abrasive topics, or any one else, to shut up?
well, if the majority of my or someone else's threads are getting 5+ pages of replies....fuck off.
the People want to talk about it.

and to be fair....i get annoyed by knuckles constant razzing of me in rather gross ways with his photoshop pics...
but fuck it...everyone loves it....his photo threads get massive posts....
so too bad, qdrop...the people want it.

it all about how much action you muster up.

you can't say someone is bad for a message board if their threads get alot of hits.

you can't say a topic is bad for the message board if it constantly get hits.

as far as "well, this shit makes the board look bad...wah wah .."
well too bad.
all that class and ethics shit exists in our minds....but the replies are real.
right there in front of you.
if the people want it....tough.
too bad if it's a 10 page whine-fest...
if that's what the People want...they get it.

so it comes down to this: if you don't like a certain board member or certain threads.
stay clear of them.
if others do not, and they get alot of replies...
then the people have spoken. deal with it.

try making your own threads about something else.
if you don't get hits....the People have spoken. deal with it.
maybe it's YOU who are not wanted around much....otherwise you'd be garnering a little more attention, wouldn't you?

the People and thier replies run this board (and the mods)...not a few other peoples abstract opinion of what's right/wrong or who is cool/asshole.

if you find yourself constantly at odds with what the people want....you probably should find a new board.

what say you?!

adam_f
02-22-2006, 03:23 PM
You so crazy!

mickill
Get a life, dork.

g-mile7
I think it would perhaps be a worthwhile discussion....if we debated the POINT of a message board...

obviously the other sections are pretty well laid out, as to thier intened subject matter.

but on the General Discussion section especially...there is often a lot of discussion as to WHAT people should take about, HOW MUCH they should talk about it, WHO should talk about it....etc, etc...

Many people (i included) have been recipients and senders of the "NO MORE" post.
all that fun stuff.

blah blah blah

how do we determine if someone should stop talking about something...or not post anymore? or what subject we should talk about...

well, i contend that (other than the mods) it's not about any one person or small group of people dictating this....no matter how much they wanna bitch and whine (including my whiney ass).

it's about democracy.

if a thread has 6+ pages of replies...obviously the People want to talk about it.

but, you know what...they get plenty of replies....so fuck it. i'll bite my lip.

people hate the "beef threads" and the "flame threads"?, tough shit...they get 10 pages of replies.
the People want them.

well, if the majority of my or someone else's threads are getting 5+ pages of replies....fuck off.

and to be fair....i get annoyed by knuckles constant razzing of me in rather gross ways with his photoshop pics...

you can't say someone is bad for a message board if their threads get alot of hits.

well too bad.

so it comes down to this: if you don't like a certain board member or certain threads.
stay clear of them.

maybe it's YOU who are not wanted around much....otherwise you'd be garnering a little more attention, wouldn't you?

the People and thier replies run this board (and the mods)...not a few other peoples abstract opinion of what's right/wrong or who is cool/asshole.

if you find yourself constantly at odds with what the people want....you probably should find a new board.

what say you?!

glad to see u still got the spark....my PM just what u needed

voltanapricot
02-22-2006, 03:24 PM
I'll pop the kettle on.

adam_f
02-22-2006, 03:25 PM
What does that even mean?

Qdrop
Get a life, dork.

oh go chat about it on IM....then paste it.

g-mile7
that now makes six thread that take root from something meant for the PM's oh my guess this board was that slow huh?

Qdrop
What does that even mean?
it means she's in for a long read.

roosta
02-22-2006, 03:26 PM
there's not enough discussion of european football and the premiership here

adam_f
You mean soccer, you limey bastard?

g-mile7
oh go chat about it on IM....theN paste it.

oh goodness (!)

roosta
02-22-2006, 03:27 PM
You mean soccer, you limey bastard?

im not a limey. a mick maybe, or even a paddy, but i ain't no limey.

Matt
02-22-2006, 03:29 PM
but what if the 6+ pages are people saying shut up, telling people what, when and who should post, etc., and when you boil it down, actual content is like a page and a half?

answer: stop thinking so much about the board.

Qdrop
02-22-2006, 03:30 PM
there's not enough discussion of european football and the premiership here

start a thread...let the People decide.

g-mile7
02-22-2006, 03:30 PM
13 post out of 14 views pretty good % :)

Qdrop
02-22-2006, 03:31 PM
but what if the 6+ pages are people saying shut up, telling people what, when and who should post, etc., and when you boil it down, actual content is like a page and a half?

then that's what the People want.
deal with it.
or leave.

Bob
02-22-2006, 03:36 PM
deal with it.
or leave.

or make a thread about how much you hate it, like you often do

na§tee
02-22-2006, 03:36 PM
i think it's to post.. messages..
on.. a board..
whut?

Hiebz
02-22-2006, 03:39 PM
deal with it.
or leave.

or moreso, what the aggressive People perpetuate, and the rest of us sit around, read through, and maybe put in our little jabs and opinions in. In anycase, your point still stands, that which is setforth on the board continues so until interuption (mod maybe), or stopped cold with disinterest

Guy Incognito
02-22-2006, 03:49 PM

all that fun stuff.

blah blah blah

it's about democracy.

the People want them.

well too bad.

stay clear of them.

what say you?!

Dude, I'll use on of your previous quotes to sum up what i think of what you said:

POST OF THE WEEK!

You got everything spot on there- nice to see you had a pop at yourself as well. Nice reality check.

ASsman
02-22-2006, 03:52 PM
Lupe steal like Lupine the 3rd.

Direct democracy my ass.

g-mile7
02-22-2006, 03:53 PM
Lupe steal like Lupine the 3rd.

Direct democracy my ass.

bottle shape body like Mrs. Butterworth mmmm Mrs. Butterworth

Qdrop
02-22-2006, 03:59 PM
or make a thread about how much you hate it, like you often do

and how many hits do they get, usually?

that's the point.
if you see a certain topic getting alot of hits....the people seem to want it.
but you can test the waters for counter support.

make a bitch thread about that topic. see if their are others who will jump on with you, or like what you have to say in counter...or just plain like the way you say it even if they don't agree.
but i no one touches your lousey thread....take a hint.

it's not a fascist regime...anyone CAN post whatever they want obviously.
but, still...take a hint....
and don't claim that people should shut up, or this is bad for the board...if HALF THE FUCKIN BOARD IS ON THE THREAD.

i guess that's the real crux of this thread: TAKE A HINT.

Anne Lauren
02-22-2006, 04:02 PM
Damn! Did you snort a big old fat line before you logged on?

You are a machine, guy...

I not being a smartass either...I swear to God!

Qdrop
02-22-2006, 04:04 PM
Damn! Did you snort a big old fat line before you logged on?

You are a machine, guy...

I not being a smartass either...I swear to God!

It was slow AS FUCK at work for most of the day.
lucky me.

unlucky ALL OF YOU.

roosta
02-22-2006, 04:07 PM
have you heard Game rapping over the Ghostbusters theme calling out g-unit? amazing.

ToucanSpam
02-22-2006, 04:33 PM
Is it fun to overanalyze everything? Seriously?

You know what IS fun? Those potato chip snacks they call Funions. Pick up a bag today and make it Funion Night.

paulb
02-22-2006, 04:38 PM
i agree with mickill, get a life. do you rule this board and is it that important to you?

paul jones
02-22-2006, 04:41 PM
I just had a shave

g-mile7
02-22-2006, 04:41 PM
I find it funny how politics are being brought up....GOP, Liberal??All I know is that the Commi's can't win'

Guy Incognito
02-22-2006, 04:42 PM
the People want them.

I still dont know all of the terminology used on these boards? WTF is a flame thread?

ericlee
02-22-2006, 05:08 PM
I still dont know all of the terminology used on these boards? WTF is a flame thread?

it's what's used to cook up the beef thread. Gotta cook it thorough cause that ecoli can be a motherfucker.

g-mile7
02-22-2006, 05:11 PM
it's what's used to cook up the beef thread. Gotta cook it thorough cause that ecoli can be a motherfucker.

I thought the purpose was to cause shit though?

ericlee
02-22-2006, 05:16 PM
I thought the purpose was to cause shit though?

exactly, one of the symptoms of ecoli is constant shitting. Just leave the beef raw, needn't any flames.

g-mile7
02-22-2006, 05:23 PM
exactly, one of the symptoms of ecoli is constant shitting. Just leave the beef raw, needn't any flames.

sounds like the burgers of Chilli's :(

DroppinScience
02-22-2006, 07:28 PM
I suppose the simplest way to go about things is this:

- If you don't want to see whinefests/flamewars, etc. don't make those threads and/or reply to them

- Only make threads and/or reply to topics that genuinely interest you

If everyone followed their own personal standards of what they want to talk about, there could be a peaceful board democracy of "board drama" threads and the "Simpsons vs. Futurama" threads and everyone would be happy.

In essence, you're either part of the solution or part of the problem...

Bionic
02-22-2006, 07:29 PM
fuck this democracy crap.

g-mile7
02-22-2006, 07:32 PM
I suppose the simplest way to go about things is this:

- If you don't want to see whinefests/flamewars, etc. don't make those threads and/or reply to them

- Only make threads and/or reply to topics that genuinely interest you

If everyone followed their own personal standards of what they want to talk about, there could be a peaceful board democracy of "board drama" threads and the "Simpsons vs. Futurama" threads and everyone would be happy.

such simple answers...but people still do it and then complain...it's like a car wreck'

marsdaddy
02-22-2006, 07:33 PM
Democracy has nothing to do with it. It's the squeaky wheel and most attention starved posters who get the love.

GreenEarthAl
02-22-2006, 10:30 PM

What's to stop me?

Qdrop
02-23-2006, 07:40 AM
What's to stop me?

logic.
reality.

you want me to introduce you?

Qdrop
02-23-2006, 07:41 AM
Democracy has nothing to do with it. It's the squeaky wheel and most attention starved posters who get the love.

Bob
02-23-2006, 08:17 AM
http://www.beastieboys.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=60588

this shitty topic is the fourth largest topic on the board, and it was locked several months ago. it was great for the board

Qdrop
02-23-2006, 08:34 AM
http://www.beastieboys.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=60588

this shitty topic is the fourth largest topic on the board, and it was locked several months ago. it was great for the board

if the people want it, they get it.

dude, we can't play "moral police" and dictate what threads are good or bad....
and try to stop them with our screams...

let the system take care of it...
it's like a free market.....

if you've noticed since then....none of Klepto's threads seem to have gotten past 4 posts.....
the market took care of it...

Nuzzolese
02-23-2006, 09:04 AM
And it's so disappointing because I try to influence the board and talk about things I want to talk about sometimes, but the people won't have it. And I get frustrated because the discussion isn't going the way I'd hoped it would.

Qdrop
02-23-2006, 09:06 AM
And it's so disappointing because I try to influence the board and talk about things I want to talk about sometimes, but the people won't have it. And I get frustrated because the discussion isn't going the way I'd hoped it would.

but your threads always do well....and induce plenty of conversation on here.

you know you are well beloved.
don't front.

Nuzzolese
02-23-2006, 09:12 AM
but your threads always do well....and induce plenty of conversation on here.

you know you are well beloved.
don't front.

I am not! A couple of people might get into it but it never lasts and most people just do a kind of bewildered "wtf" regarding my posts, like they wonder why anyone care so much about what I'm saying. And I am always feeling like people are oversimplifying the thread idea and not really getting the point of what I'm trying to do. Whether that's my fault for not explaining it well enough, or anyone else's...doesn't matter. It's like you said though, it's not up to me to say what goes, I just have to deal with it.

Bob
02-23-2006, 09:18 AM
I am not! A couple of people might get into it but it never lasts and most people just do a kind of bewildered "wtf" regarding my posts, like they wonder why anyone care so much about what I'm saying. And I am always feeling like people are oversimplifying the thread idea and not really getting the point of what I'm trying to do. Whether that's my fault for not explaining it well enough, or anyone else's...doesn't matter. It's like you said though, it's not up to me to say what goes, I just have to deal with it.

i know you hate hearing this, but i think it's just because your posts are too long. i don't mean that as an insult, i just mean it as an explanation, people on here have extremely short attention spans and don't read long posts. myself included, i just kind of skimmed the post of yours that i quoted, i think i got the gist of it. we'd much rather discuss what songs we're listening to

i don't know how i managed to get through college like this quite honestly

Nuzzolese
02-23-2006, 09:22 AM
i know you hate hearing this, but i think it's just because your posts are too long. i don't mean that as an insult, i just mean it as an explanation, people on here have extremely short attention spans and don't read long posts. myself included, i just kind of skimmed the post of yours that i quoted, i think i got the gist of it. we'd much rather discuss what songs we're listening to

Maybe if we were all going to be tested on this, we'd read threads more thoroughly.

Qdrop
02-23-2006, 09:23 AM

yeah, you know what would help, nuzz?
NOT shortening your posts...but how you format them.

i often write long winded replies and posts....but you notice how i space them out...
i use returns and capitals....
they tend to not be so intimidating.

treat your formatting like visual art.

-----------
case in point...which would you rather read, ^ that...

or this:
------------

yeah, you know what would help, nuzz? NOT shortening your posts...but how you format them.i often write long winded replies and posts but you notice how i space them out.i use returns and capitals.they tend to not be so intimidating.treat your formatting like visual art.

Bob
02-23-2006, 09:24 AM
Maybe if we were all going to be tested on this, we'd read threads more thoroughly.

i'd just read them all the night before

Anne Lauren
02-23-2006, 09:27 AM
yeah, you know what would help, nuzz?
NOT shortening your posts...but how you format them.

i often write long winded replies and posts....but you notice how i space them out...
i use returns and capitals....
they tend to not be so intimidating.

treat your formatting like visual art.

case in point...which would you rather read, ^ that...

or this:

yeah, you know what would help, nuzz? NOT shortening your posts...but how you format them.i often write long winded replies and posts but you notice how i space them out.i use returns and capitals.they tend to not be so intimidating.treat your formatting like visual art.

Kinda like how a conversation would be if it were visual...not like an essay.

And, I read all of Nuzz's threads and comments. She's an intelligent lady with fascinating thoughts...it interests me to read her take and/or view on things.

Nuzzolese
02-23-2006, 09:50 AM
I AM an intelligent lady! My thoughts ARE fascinating! Now it looks like I was fishing for compliments. I wasn't.

I never know where to make spaces. I always had trouble deciding how to divide paragraphs.

Bob, you're so annoying being a good student and not trying so hard. You're like the kid who died in A Separate Peace.

Ace42X
02-23-2006, 10:23 AM
I AM an intelligent lady! My thoughts ARE fascinating! Now it looks like I was fishing for compliments. I wasn't.

I think your posts are above average. But that is REALLY not saying much.

I never know where to make spaces. I always had trouble deciding how to divide paragraphs.

Whenever the topic shifts, start a new paragraph. One paragraph per idea you wish to extemporise on.

Rawr
02-23-2006, 10:23 AM
You sound like such a geek.

Nuzzolese
02-23-2006, 10:40 AM
I think your posts are above average. But that is REALLY not saying much.
Whenever the topic shifts, start a new paragraph. One paragraph per idea you wish to extemporise on.

I know the rules, but my ideas flow like a river, damnit, I'm intelligent and fascinating...get it straight.

Anne Lauren
02-23-2006, 10:40 AM

Bob, you're so annoying being a good student and not trying so hard. You're like the kid who died in A Separate Peace.

Oh, I didn't take it that way, at all...that you were fishing for compliments.

And, A Seperate Peace is a good book, btw. It's a classic. I highly recommend it! (y)

instigator7022
02-23-2006, 10:41 AM
The reason for this message board is entertainment.

I feel that the whole reason for people in general is entertainment. We are all just looking for contentment.

Nuzzolese
02-23-2006, 10:47 AM
And, A Seperate Peace is a good book, btw. It's a classic. I highly recommend it! (y)

I hated it in 6th grade when I read it. I don't know why. I think I felt little to no sympathy with the protagonist. I think of it though, when I think of Bob, becuase he's a quiet guy from New England and I picture him wearing v-neck sweaters and khakis and loafers.

Anne Lauren
02-23-2006, 10:50 AM
I hated it in 6th grade when I read it. I don't know why. I think I felt little to no sympathy with the protagonist. I think of it though, when I think of Bob, becuase he's a quiet guy from New England and I picture him wearing v-neck sweaters and khakis and loafers.

Me too...I think it's his avatar or something.

Anne Lauren
02-23-2006, 10:53 AM
Interesting. What do you picture other people wearing?

Well, for me, I've seen your picture...so I picture you the way you look in your picture.

I was kinda suprised, at first, because I didn't expect you to be "the dad" figure...not that it is a bad thing or anything...just merely my first impression. But, you can never tell, right?!

Nuzzolese
02-23-2006, 11:04 AM
I picture Anne Lauren in a lot of black and white, usually black pants because she would like that they are slimming. I picture her wearing bits of bright red, pink, or blue to accent the black and white. And she goes tanning, and does the dark eyes + sheer glossy lips thing.

Anne Lauren
02-23-2006, 11:13 AM
I picture Anne Lauren in a lot of black and white, usually black pants because she would like that they are slimming. I picture her wearing bits of bright red, pink, or blue to accent the black and white. And she goes tanning, and does the dark eyes + sheer glossy lips thing.

Come to think of it, I do seem to wear a lot of black. Well, mainly at work with my work suits...plus, it's been "the cold" seasons lately. I just feel more sophisticated and classy in black, I guess.

And, I seem to wear more black skirts, rather than pants...but, for the most part, right on Nuzz! (y)

Nuzzolese
02-23-2006, 11:14 AM
Even though I've seen your picture, I still don't imagine you that way, I still hold my image of you I had before I saw the picture, dark brown hair and top-heavy.

Anne Lauren
02-23-2006, 11:20 AM
Even though I've seen your picture, I still don't imagine you that way, I still hold my image of you I had before I saw the picture, dark brown hair and top-heavy.

Me?

Well, actually, my hair's sometimes dark and I'm, for the most part, pretty "top-heavy", I guess.

Nuzzolese
02-23-2006, 11:21 AM
Me?

Well, actually, my hair's sometimes dark and I'm, for the most part, pretty "top-heavy", I guess.

rightownn

Anne Lauren
02-23-2006, 11:21 AM
rightownn

(y)

Bob
02-23-2006, 02:05 PM
i read a separate peace in high school, but i barely remember it. i think i still got an A on the test, though.