PDA

View Full Version : What Viideo Games have you guys been playing lately?

ToucanSpam
02-23-2006, 09:53 PM
I'm not raising an old thread from the dead, so here's a new one.

Lately I've been checking out Grandia III for the PS2 and SmackDown Vs. Raw 2006 for the PS2. Here's my scoop, poops:

Both are worth renting. SDvR2006 is a good wrestling game, if you are into that. Very articulate, very detailed. Even if you are not into wrestling games, or even fighting games, give it a try, the controls are easy to pick up and its so wide open as to who can win, no one can really dominate it.

Grandia III has looked good as far as I can tell...I haven't ogtten much play time on it, as my friend bought it and hes been doing the playing mostly. Love the graphics and love the feel.....kinda reminds me of dragon quest 8 a litttttle bit. RPGers will like it.

What have y'all been playing?

g-mile7
02-23-2006, 09:54 PM
Old school Sonic' prior 3D

Lindsey_1535
02-23-2006, 09:56 PM
sims 2 doesnt count eh

ToucanSpam
02-23-2006, 09:57 PM
It does.......unfortunetly. :(

zorra_chiflada
02-23-2006, 09:58 PM
i've been playing diablo 2 heaps on my computer. i love it!

Lindsey_1535
02-23-2006, 09:58 PM
YES I choooosseee that then!

Bob
02-23-2006, 10:02 PM
i've been playing diablo 2 heaps on my computer. i love it!

old school neeeeeeerd (i play it too sometimes)

i'm more of a warcraft 3 nerd myself. orcs is made for fightin an winnin

i got the new star wars game, empire at war. it's strategy on a grand scale, sort of, you take over the galaxy and fight planet by planet, there's space battles and land battles. it's really cool at first but after about two six-hour sessions in a row, i'm getting a little bored of it quite honest. i'd say rent it, but you can't rent PC games. i leave it to your imagination to find a way to play it for a few days on the cheap

ToucanSpam
02-23-2006, 10:05 PM
DAMMIT

I wanted to try that soon. I'm not that big into RTS though...I'll probably rent it and that's it.

Bob, did you finish Dragon-Something 8?

zorra_chiflada
02-23-2006, 10:06 PM
old school neeeeeeerd (i play it too sometimes)

i'm more of a warcraft 3 nerd myself. orcs is made for fightin an winnin

i got the new star wars game, empire at war. it's strategy on a grand scale, sort of, you take over the galaxy and fight planet by planet, there's space battles and land battles. it's really cool at first but after about two six-hour sessions in a row, i'm getting a little bored of it quite honest. i'd say rent it, but you can't rent PC games. i leave it to your imagination to find a way to play it for a few days on the cheap

that sounds cool actually.

Bionic
02-23-2006, 10:08 PM
Dope Wars on my Palm Pilot

Bob
02-23-2006, 10:10 PM
it really is incredibly cool until the novelty wears off. the space battles kick loads of ass (imagine the first 20 minutes or so of ep.3, only over and over), but the land battles get boring incredibly quickly. imagine a retarded version of rome total war, that's basically what it is. i'd check out the demo, it's available at, i don't know, probably lots of gaming websites. at least it features the cool star wars trilogy (empire and rebellion, not clones and robots).

DAMMIT

I wanted to try that soon. I'm not that big into RTS though...I'll probably rent it and that's it.

Bob, did you finish Dragon-Something 8?

i actually haven't gotten past the second dungeon :(. it's not that i don't like it, it's just that i don't have the attention span to play it. too much levelling. i really do intend to get back into it some day, i promise!

beastie fresh
02-23-2006, 10:10 PM
World of Warcraft
Smackdown vs Raw 06'
Warcraft III

zorra_chiflada
02-23-2006, 10:16 PM
oh, i've also been playing "worms world party"

Jmoney77
02-24-2006, 12:01 AM
I still play HALO 2, i just finished Call of Duty for the 360, and i want to get Madden '06,

side note-anyone have Xbox Live my gamertag is the same Jmoney77,send a friend request

tracky
02-24-2006, 12:20 AM
Battlefield 2

I'm ashamed to say

only cause it's an EA game

player name is tracksuit (http://bf2s.com/player/tracksuit/)

Whatitis
02-24-2006, 12:24 AM
GTA PSP.

burbboi
02-24-2006, 12:51 AM
Battlefield 2 : Modern Combat on the XBox
EA NHL '06 on the XBox
Call of Duty 2 on the PC

Matt
02-24-2006, 12:55 AM
Indigo Prophecy
We Love Katamari
Super Smash Bros. Melee

going to buy Grandia 3 soon. I still love Grandia 2 on my Dreamcast.

CJM
02-24-2006, 12:57 AM
NBA Street V3
Kessen III
The Warriors

tracky
02-24-2006, 02:15 AM
consoles schmonsoles

does anyone else but bob play on the PC?

How can you play a FPS with those crappy controllers? Sure I hammered goldeneye (got every cheat, tyvm) and it ruled, but it would've been 1000x better again if i could've played with keyboard and mouse

ps. ROMs don't count as PC. But yeah earthbound is cool, i got totally hooked on that about a year ago

Freebasser
02-24-2006, 02:50 AM
I play on nowt but PC, but I have no money to buy new games.

San Andreas it is then.

Calimero jr.
02-24-2006, 02:52 AM
Forgotten Battles/Pacific Fighters (Flight Sim)
Call Of Duty 2
Neverwinter Nights
Morrowind

Pres Zount
02-24-2006, 04:13 AM
I'm waiting for xbox 360 to come out so I can buy it GRUMBLE so susan and I can play dead or alive 4. On PC I have been playing Diablo II online and Day of Defeat: source.

Planetary
02-24-2006, 04:20 AM
gta:sa

pro evo 5

crash tag team racing

ChrisLove
02-24-2006, 05:03 AM
Recently got a PSP - so Implaying GTA and Everybody Golf at the moment - EG seems better than Tiger Woods to me.

Recently I went retro and bought an N64 with memory expansion and Goldeneye, Zelda Ocarina of Time and Mask of Majori - all for £35. I think thats so awesomeas those games are still better than almost anything around today - I think retro gaming is a really good idea while all the main companies are bringing out new consoles (cos they tend to start overpriced and the games arnt great)

Ace42X
02-24-2006, 07:57 AM
Recently got a PSP - so Implaying GTA and Everybody Golf at the moment - EG seems better than Tiger Woods to me.

Recently I went retro and bought an N64 with memory expansion and Goldeneye, Zelda Ocarina of Time and Mask of Majori - all for £35. I think thats so awesomeas those games are still better than almost anything around today - I think retro gaming is a really good idea while all the main companies are bringing out new consoles (cos they tend to start overpriced and the games arnt great)

I have been palying a lot of City of Villains on PC.

But, also a fair bit of PSP on this topic.

Tony Hawk has had a LOT of playing on it, love the game. GTA: LCS is important as it means people with firmware up to the latest (2.60) can run "homebrew" software. Which brings up the question of "Retro" gaming.

As I said in the PSP thread, I have been palying SNES and ZX Spectrum and Gameboy Colour games on my PSP.

The new version of Homer's RIN (3.00) works perfectly on the new and patched version of "Brown Ale" eLoader.

If anyone needs info, and links to ROMs, just say.

TonsOfFun
02-24-2006, 08:28 AM
World Of Warcraft
World Of Warcraft
World Of Warcraft

Its all I ever play and do :(

I want a PS2 to waste my life on something else. Or I need to fix my old PS1, since I dropped it :-S

ChrisLove
02-24-2006, 08:44 AM
I have been palying a lot of City of Villains on PC.

But, also a fair bit of PSP on this topic.

Tony Hawk has had a LOT of playing on it, love the game. GTA: LCS is important as it means people with firmware up to the latest (2.60) can run "homebrew" software. Which brings up the question of "Retro" gaming.

As I said in the PSP thread, I have been palying SNES and ZX Spectrum and Gameboy Colour games on my PSP.

The new version of Homer's RIN (3.00) works perfectly on the new and patched version of "Brown Ale" eLoader.

If anyone needs info, and links to ROMs, just say.

I have only just got my PSP and have only just started thinking about how it can be used for these things - ie playing retro ROMs. Any tips would be greatly appreciated. I understand I have to load an old version of the operating system? Will doing any of this fuck up my PSP?

P of R
02-24-2006, 08:51 AM
Today I've played Morrowind.

Not enough good games coming out these days.

I'm playing Gtlegends every now and then.

I miss games like Baldur's Gate/ Planescape:Torment. :(

ToucanSpam
02-24-2006, 09:43 AM
My warning to everyone is this: Don't rent that Brothers in Arms game or whatever. It's lame in the sack. I dont give a shit about an assault squad or a firing squad or whatever. If wanted to play a tactical war game I'd play Advance Wars. I want to be able to gun down many people without one shot killing me.

paul jones
02-24-2006, 11:47 AM
god of war

Ace42X
02-24-2006, 12:23 PM
I understand I have to load an old version of the operating system? Will doing any of this fuck up my PSP?

Nope and nope, respectively. A cool chap called "Fanjita" has released an eLoader. It makes use of Grand Theft Auto:LCS to bypass Sony's encryption. You load the eloader via a GTA:LCS save gave (it sits in the fifth save game slot) and then pick the eboot.pbp file you want to load, for example an emulator.

I was the main writer for PURE PSP magazine, so I guess I am the go to guy for advice.

What version of the firmware do you have? I'm guessing 2.00, 2.50 or 2.60?

You have a USB- mini B cable that allows you to link your PSP up to your PC right?

If not, get one of these:
http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/endecaSearch/partDetail.jsp?SKU=AV11542&N=411

Download the "Brown Ale" eboot loader:
http://pspupdates.qj.net/2006/02/brown-ale-gets-patched.html

It is a simple windows compatible installer. When your PSP is plugged in, and in USB mode (there is USB linkup option on the PSP's main menu) it will appear as a removable drive on your PC. The installer automatically detects it and will ask you what version you want to install.

If your firmware (can find out what version on your PSP's main menu) is version 2.00 you can use the "TIFF exploit mode" which is probably easier. If you have version 2.01 or higher, untick the TIFF exploit, and make sure the "GTA" version is ticked instead. You'll want the standard EU version of GTA installed, I am guessing.

It will overwrite slot 5 of your GTA save games, so make sure there is nothing in that, and you have saved recently (so it doesn't autoload the eloader when the game starts, which shouldn't happen anyway).

Now you load up that savegame (will have a new icon in the list) as if you were loading a standard GTA save, and it will bring up a list of installed homebrew (amateur) software that you have. You select it off the list, and it will work.

To install homebrew, download whatever you want (I recommend http://pspupdates.qj.net/2006/02/homers-rin-v30-released.html for starters) and put it in a folder beneath the "GAME" directory on your memory stick. The homebrew will appear on the eloader list, and you will be able to run the homebrew.

For homer's RIN, check www.coolrom.com for gameboy colour (and other) games to run on the emulator.

This new method of running homebrew is still, well, new, so not all of the pre-existing homebrew (which only worked on firmware 1.0, 1.5 or 2.00) will run using the eLoader. So, while those boffins are busy updating their aps, you'll have to be a bit choosy about what you install.

Tell me what you fancy, and I'll see if I can point you to a working app. the Uo (Unofficial) Snes9x emulator works, as does Dgen (genesis / megadrive) 0.70, and PSPectrum ZX spectrum emulators.

Some emulators will let the ROMs (games) be in ZIP format, but the ROM file HAS to be the only file in the zip (no readme text or HTML files!) otherwise they can fuck up.

Some emulators don't like zips, so you'll have to extract the game.

Make sense? If you want soem real-time support, drop me a message via AIM or MSN or whatever chat util you want.

rob20
02-24-2006, 12:25 PM
I mainly play sports, the game I'm hooked on rigth now os MVP 06 NCAA Baseball, I go back and forth from that one to NCAA Football 06.

na§tee
02-24-2006, 12:31 PM
oh my god. animal crossing ds: wild world.
i totally rock the hizz-ouse.
that, and the normal mario kart: double dash and donkey konga when we have the kids round ;)

Ace42X
02-24-2006, 12:32 PM
that, and the normal mario kart: double dash and donkey konga when we have the kids round ;)

Me and my housemates 0wn3d MK: DD totally. Unlocked EVERYTHING. I think that is what made my housemate fall in love with me and want me to lick her naked crotch. That or just that I am super sexy.

na§tee
02-24-2006, 12:55 PM
Me and my housemates 0wn3d MK: DD totally. Unlocked EVERYTHING. I think that is what made my housemate fall in love with me and want me to lick her naked crotch. That or just that I am super sexy.
no. i think you are mistaken.
i think me and my flatmates totally own this game, have unlocked everything, and are totally gun-ho with the secret short-cuts and i challenge thee.

CJM
02-24-2006, 12:58 PM
oh, forgot Shadow of the Colossus

Ace42X
02-24-2006, 01:15 PM
and are totally gun-ho with the secret short-cuts and i challenge thee.

Beh, in the day, I would certainly take up that challenge, but I am two years rusty, and no longer on speaking terms with my co-driver.

King PSYZ
02-24-2006, 02:44 PM
GTA: SA and Star Wars Battlefront 2. Man that game rocks the house, playing as a jedi is an added bonus.

Ace42X
02-24-2006, 02:59 PM
Do you need the GTA game to use eLoader, if you have the latest firmware version?

Yah, so far GTA version of the eLoader is the only one that works on 2.01 and later. Ditto for 1.51 and 1.52.

1.0, 1.50 and 2.00 can use other means (works by default, Kxploit, and TIFF exploit respectively)

2.00 PSPs can use the "TIFF" exploit built into the brown ale eloader, and doesn't require GTA.

I got my PSP recently, and I have like a really early version, not sure of the exact number

Will say on the menu.

I've heard that it doesn't play all ROMs. I would mainly like to play the RPGs. Like Star Ocean, EarthBound, Romancing SaGa games.

I haven't had a ROM that will run on a PC emulator that doesn't run on the PSP equivalent, and updates are being made to the newer homebrew all the time.

King PSYZ
02-24-2006, 03:05 PM
what about tunneling man, when will this be a reality?

bigblu89
02-24-2006, 03:12 PM
I just bought Devil May Cry 3 for PS2. It was only $30, and I played and beat the other two, so I felt obligated to finally get around to playing this one as well.

Other then that, I occasionally play GTA:SA, Arena Football, and MVP Baseball.

Ace42X
02-24-2006, 03:14 PM
what about tunneling man, when will this be a reality?

Someday maybe never. I'd not hold your breath.

BangkokB
02-24-2006, 03:53 PM
god of war
That was a Hella Game! I felt like a champ when I beat it and sat in the God Chair

XMen II Legends was fucking up on me/locking up and I'm right at the checkered flag. I nerded out and read on the GameFAQ message board that I have too much swag and need to go on a selling spree. 100 hours and ticking. Iceman is my weapon of choice

Bob
02-24-2006, 04:23 PM
Iceman is pretty brutal, yeah. did you unlock ironman? he's easily the best character in the game. start putting points into motion amplifier, use that and you'll see. it increases his damage, his attack speed, and probably some other stuff i'm forgetting. he fights like he's on PCP, he does insane damage at an incredible rate, it's almost not fun. almost.

plus he's ironman, so he's got that going for him. to unlock him, you just have to find 4 homing beacons on each level. i managed to get them all on my first playthrough, just make sure you explore every area of every map, i don't recall any of them being too cleverly hidden.

King PSYZ
02-24-2006, 04:29 PM
I've really wanted to try that game out but they're always out of it at blockbuster. Now I know I need to find it.

BangkokB
02-24-2006, 04:30 PM
Thanks for the tip! I'm still working on my 1st hoorah/and the game was locking up on me. I have 3 of the 4 so skys the limit.

jackrock
02-24-2006, 04:59 PM
CS:S :cool:

Tzar
02-24-2006, 08:15 PM
i dunno bout you but this game isn't fucking easy. and yes i have it on 'easy'. i'm up to the 3rd mission for the rebels.

ChrisLove
02-27-2006, 10:25 AM
Nope and nope, respectively. A cool chap called "Fanjita" has released an eLoader. It makes use of Grand Theft Auto:LCS to bypass Sony's encryption. You load the eloader via a GTA:LCS save gave (it sits in the fifth save game slot) and then pick the eboot.pbp file you want to load, for example an emulator.

I was the main writer for PURE PSP magazine, so I guess I am the go to guy for advice.

What version of the firmware do you have? I'm guessing 2.00, 2.50 or 2.60?

You have a USB- mini B cable that allows you to link your PSP up to your PC right?

If not, get one of these:
http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/endecaSearch/partDetail.jsp?SKU=AV11542&N=411

Download the "Brown Ale" eboot loader:
http://pspupdates.qj.net/2006/02/brown-ale-gets-patched.html

It is a simple windows compatible installer. When your PSP is plugged in, and in USB mode (there is USB linkup option on the PSP's main menu) it will appear as a removable drive on your PC. The installer automatically detects it and will ask you what version you want to install.

If your firmware (can find out what version on your PSP's main menu) is version 2.00 you can use the "TIFF exploit mode" which is probably easier. If you have version 2.01 or higher, untick the TIFF exploit, and make sure the "GTA" version is ticked instead. You'll want the standard EU version of GTA installed, I am guessing.

It will overwrite slot 5 of your GTA save games, so make sure there is nothing in that, and you have saved recently (so it doesn't autoload the eloader when the game starts, which shouldn't happen anyway).

Now you load up that savegame (will have a new icon in the list) as if you were loading a standard GTA save, and it will bring up a list of installed homebrew (amateur) software that you have. You select it off the list, and it will work.

To install homebrew, download whatever you want (I recommend http://pspupdates.qj.net/2006/02/homers-rin-v30-released.html for starters) and put it in a folder beneath the "GAME" directory on your memory stick. The homebrew will appear on the eloader list, and you will be able to run the homebrew.

For homer's RIN, check www.coolrom.com for gameboy colour (and other) games to run on the emulator.

This new method of running homebrew is still, well, new, so not all of the pre-existing homebrew (which only worked on firmware 1.0, 1.5 or 2.00) will run using the eLoader. So, while those boffins are busy updating their aps, you'll have to be a bit choosy about what you install.

Tell me what you fancy, and I'll see if I can point you to a working app. the Uo (Unofficial) Snes9x emulator works, as does Dgen (genesis / megadrive) 0.70, and PSPectrum ZX spectrum emulators.

Some emulators will let the ROMs (games) be in ZIP format, but the ROM file HAS to be the only file in the zip (no readme text or HTML files!) otherwise they can fuck up.

Some emulators don't like zips, so you'll have to extract the game.

Make sense? If you want soem real-time support, drop me a message via AIM or MSN or whatever chat util you want.

Wow cheers for that, I will have a crack at al that tonight - Im not sure what firmware I have but as its a very new PSP Im guessing it will be higher than 2.00. I have all the USB shit already so that shouldnt be a prob.

Is there an N64 emulator? Or NES?

Ace42X
02-27-2006, 10:27 AM
Is there an N64 emulator? Or NES?

N64, not that I know of, and it probably wouldn't work too well if there was due to the massive difference in the machine's performances.

NES, yes, it is called NesterJ, and last I checked there was a working (updated) version available. ROMs should be available on google easy enough, I think coolrom.com might have some, will check later.

The current firmware version can be found on the PSP's main menu, "System information" option, halfway down the far left menu icon.

ChrisLove
02-27-2006, 10:31 AM
N64, not that I know of, and it probably wouldn't work too well if there was due to the massive difference in the machine's performances.

NES, yes, it is called NesterJ, and last I checked there was a working (updated) version available. ROMs should be available on google easy enough, I think coolrom.com might have some, will check later.

The current firmware version can be found on the PSP's main menu, "System information" option, halfway down the far left menu icon.

Its 2.01 - I still have concerns about this violating my warranty, can the default factory settings be restored easily?

synch
02-27-2006, 10:41 AM
Just bought shadow of the colossus but I intend to finish Ico first.

Been playing raven shield online occasionally and had a bit of an emulator revival a couple of weeks back. Played Shadow Dancer, Rolling Thunder, Final Fight and tons of Neo Geo roms.

god of war
How amazing is that game? I finished it in two or three days :(

jabumbo
02-27-2006, 10:41 AM
the only game recently that i've made time to play is medal of honor (i think spearhead is the version i play on). i like it because i can run around and shoot other people online, and the team matches are usually pretty fun, especially on certain maps because you can actually work together to put up a front

when i used to have more time to play games, i mostly played RTS games like starcraft and age of empires 2. i have AOE3 and i still don't know if i really like it's setup or not

TurdBerglar
02-27-2006, 10:49 AM

there is a great n64 emulator. project 64. it works great. basically turns all n64 games into directx 7 computer games. n64 roms are easy to find as well. if you look on bit torrent sites you can find a huge 5 gig collection of all english n64 games. but that's for pc

Hiebz
02-27-2006, 10:50 AM
I played some Mortal Kombat: Shoalin Knights on Playstation2 this weekend, I enjoyed it - reminded me of playing Double Dragon back in the day on nintendo but better with 3D fighting and all sorts of different attacks.

ChrisLove
02-27-2006, 10:51 AM
the only game recently that i've made time to play is medal of honor (i think spearhead is the version i play on). i like it because i can run around and shoot other people online, and the team matches are usually pretty fun, especially on certain maps because you can actually work together to put up a front

when i used to have more time to play games, i mostly played RTS games like starcraft and age of empires 2. i have AOE3 and i still don't know if i really like it's setup or not

I love RTS's online esp AOE. But probably like you - now that I have a job I dont have the time to dedicate to it and get good - There were times as a student wehen I wold be playing AOE2 abut 4-5 hours a day and I got really good. My computer isnt good enough to play AOE3 online but I will give it a go when I upgrade in April.

synch
02-27-2006, 11:12 AM
there is a great n64 emulator. project 64. it works great. basically turns all n64 games into directx 7 computer games. n64 roms are easy to find as well. if you look on bit torrent sites you can find a huge 5 gig collection of all english n64 games. but that's for pc
They are talking about emulators on PSP.

Ace42X
02-27-2006, 11:23 AM
Its 2.01 - I still have concerns about this violating my warranty, can the default factory settings be restored easily?

2.01 will be the GTA save game (the TIFF exploit is 2.00 only), which doesn't void your warranty at all. It is just a file on the (removeable) memory stick. It doesn't alter the flash memory that the firmware is stored on at all. Even if it DID break your PSP (and it can't) - you can just pop out the mem stick, use a PC duo reader to wipe it, and no-one would be any the wiser. Similarly, if it did brick your PSP (very unlikely), Sony or the vendor would have no way of knowing if it was a corrupt legitimate firmware update gone awry, or malicious code.

As for the "factory settings" - the eLoader and homebrew aps do not effect the PSP's settings in any way shape or form. The eLoader sits in a GTA save game slot. Until you load up GTA and load that save game, it doesn't do ANYTHING. When you turn it off, all the memory is lost from RAM, so it will be inactive until you intentionally load the eLoader save game again.

It doesn't effect your PSP any more than any other GTA save game does. Most homebrew (unless specifically designed to do otherwise) will not have any need to change your PSP's configuration. You CAN download homebrew applications that allows you to customise the PSP menu's appearance and stuff, but you'd know you are downloading that, and running it, and changing the settings. And generally, using the "restore defaults" setting off the PSP's menu should fix it. Not having tried this, I can't verify it though. I just use emulators on the whole.

You could update your firmware to the latest version (2.60) and reap the benefits of the latest version (RSS audio feed, so you can listen to podcasts over the Internet, and WMA windows media audio file support, plus some other, minor, bits and bobs) But, as Fanjita points out, if a BETTER exploit is later discovered, it makes sense to have the lowest version possible, as you can always update the firmware to the desired version, it is much harder to downgrade it backwards.

Eitherway, 2.01 should work fine, hunky dory. It doesn't alter the flash memory, so can't brick your PSP.

[HOWEVER, it is theoretically possible that malware (malicious software) could brick your PSP. It couldn't happen "accidentaly." - someone would have to intentionally code the software to flash malicious code to the internal EPROM, and then intentionally disseminate it under false pretenses, AND it would have to avoid the virus checkers that are employed by all the major distributors, AND the first person to test it would smell a rat, and get it trashed instantly.]

As long as you download homebrew from a reputable source (quickjump.net), the chances of that happening are zero.

ChrisLove
02-27-2006, 11:29 AM
2.01 will be the GTA save game (the TIFF exploit is 2.00 only), which doesn't void your warranty at all. It is just a file on the (removeable) memory stick. It doesn't alter the flash memory that the firmware is stored on at all. Even if it DID break your PSP (and it can't) - you can just pop out the mem stick, use a PC duo reader to wipe it, and no-one would be any the wiser. Similarly, if it did brick your PSP (very unlikely), Sony or the vendor would have no way of knowing if it was a corrupt legitimate firmware update gone awry, or malicious code.

As for the "factory settings" - the eLoader and homebrew aps do not effect the PSP's settings in any way shape or form. The eLoader sits in a GTA save game slot. Until you load up GTA and load that save game, it doesn't do ANYTHING. When you turn it off, all the memory is lost from RAM, so it will be inactive until you intentionally load the eLoader save game again.

It doesn't effect your PSP any more than any other GTA save game does. Most homebrew (unless specifically designed to do otherwise) will not have any need to change your PSP's configuration. You CAN download homebrew applications that allows you to customise the PSP menu's appearance and stuff, but you'd know you are downloading that, and running it, and changing the settings. And generally, using the "restore defaults" setting off the PSP's menu should fix it. Not having tried this, I can't verify it though. I just use emulators on the whole.

You could update your firmware to the latest version (2.60) and reap the benefits of the latest version (RSS audio feed, so you can listen to podcasts over the Internet, and WMA windows media audio file support, plus some other, minor, bits and bobs) But, as Fanjita points out, if a BETTER exploit is later discovered, it makes sense to have the lowest version possible, as you can always update the firmware to the desired version, it is much harder to downgrade it backwards.

Eitherway, 2.01 should work fine, hunky dory. It doesn't alter the flash memory, so can't brick your PSP.

[HOWEVER, it is theoretically possible that malware (malicious software) could brick your PSP. It couldn't happen "accidentaly." - someone would have to intentionally code the software to flash malicious code to the internal EPROM, and then intentionally disseminate it under false pretenses, AND it would have to avoid the virus checkers that are employed by all the major distributors, AND the first person to test it would smell a rat, and get it trashed instantly.]

As long as you download homebrew from a reputable source (quickjump.net), the chances of that happening are zero.

Thanks for all the info on this, much appreciated (y) (y)

Ace42X
02-28-2006, 12:27 AM
In other news:
http://www.the-underdogs.org/game.php?id=4894

One of the greatest games ever, available for download.

zorra_chiflada
02-28-2006, 01:57 AM
jabumbo; i have AOE2 and like it a lot, should i buy AOE3? how is it different/better?

ChrisLove
02-28-2006, 06:05 AM
jabumbo; i have AOE2 and like it a lot, should i buy AOE3? how is it different/better?

I know you didn’t ask me but I can help with this….

AOE3 differs in a number of ways from AOE2

Graphics – Extremely good graphics and physics modelling (but you need good system specs to use this). For example, cannon balls rip chunks out of buildings and bits of wood/splinters/shrapnel fly off in all directions wounding anyone they hit. Bodies fly through the air when blown up and roll down hills. Its really good in this respect but my PC cant handle it so it just looks rubbish for me at the moment.

Background – the game is set around the time of the discovery of the Americas which means there is a lot more technology than in previous AOEs – in particular there is much more use of gunpowder units. Despite this cavalry is still relevant but not as dominating as it was in AOE2.

Gameplay – The mane changes are these

- Micromanagement – this has been reduced – villagers no longer need to dump resources and as such require much less management. Once a guy is chopping wood, you can let him do that without having to make any adjustments to improve his efficiency and so on – I see this as an improvement because I used to hate having to rebuild lumber mills and so on all the time.

- Military – I haven’t got to grips with this exactly yet but it seems fairly similar although it seems to me that the designers have tried to encourage more varied armies than in previous games . In AOE2 you could mass armies of one or two types of units but that doesn’t work so well here. Also there are no real super units – everything can be countered which means you need a good mix of troops. Another change is that there is no real advantage given by terrain ie having the higher ground doesn’t help much.

- The main difference is this new card system – its kind of cool but very different – it’s a bit like Risk in that you can play cards which deliver bonuses like troop reinforcements and new technologies. Its ment to add a bit of unpredictability into onlineplay.

Ace42X
02-28-2006, 12:21 PM
Here's a warranty voiding fix for those of us with PSP D-pads that don't do diagonals:

http://ufighterx.com/guides/videogame/pspdpadfix/pspdpadfix.htm

Tried this myself, and aside from having dust trapped under the screen (just wanted to test it, and had no compressed air to blast it) and having to open her up and resit the d-pad (left didn't work, took it apart, put it back together again, worked a treat...) it is perfect.

Seriously, worth doing if you have any game that requires diagonal depression of the D-pad, IE Darkstalkers, streetfighter 2, Tony Hawk,

Oh, I used the lid of a plastic ice-cream tub instead of an NES cartridge sleeve, btw.

instigator7022
02-28-2006, 12:36 PM
I dusted off the old super nintendo and I've been playing TETRIS ATTACK! I beat it on the super hard level in vs. mode and i felt really good about it.

Alos, Mario bros. 3 and super mario world

Once im tired of it i'll start palying my modern games again

ChrisLove
02-28-2006, 12:48 PM
In other news:
http://www.the-underdogs.org/game.php?id=4894

One of the greatest games ever, available for download.

Oh no!

I love my pointy clicky adventures - I have a back log of games I need to complete, this was the last thing I needed to happen. As soon as Im done with Monkey Island I will do this one!

jabumbo
02-28-2006, 01:12 PM

pretty much what chrislove said.

i like aoe3 in most areas, but one major thing really bugs me. i don't like the 3-d type view that you get. its too easy to get units lost in a corner, and the mini map isnt very helpful. it is just one thing that i can't get used to. i'd rather keep it simple, even if it emans giving up some graphics.

i think i kind of like the extra micromanagement though. it makes you have to work on something other than creating massive armies. the few times i played aoe3, it was real hard for me to develop any real strategy besides making as many guys as i could and sending mixed armies on recon the whole time.

we should play aoe2 online one of these days!

zorra_chiflada
02-28-2006, 03:48 PM
that sounds good! i might save up my pennies!

burbboi
02-28-2006, 03:54 PM
If anyone digs AoE and the like, 'Rise of Nations' is definately worth a look. The 'Thrones and Patriots' add-on if fantastic.

Bob
02-28-2006, 04:04 PM
If anyone digs AoE and the like, 'Rise of Nations' is definately worth a look. The 'Thrones and Patriots' add-on if fantastic.

rise of nations is really cool, but also really complex. it's like civilization in real time, i could never quite figure it out. i liked watching other people play though, it is indeed very cool.

Lex Diamonds
02-28-2006, 04:13 PM
I played Halo 2 on the XBox the other day. Some people are just retardedly good at that game.

ps
XBoxes suck balls and the controllers are gay.

beastieangel01
02-28-2006, 04:16 PM
It's been forever because I am always busy lately. But I have played one, and I really really REALLY REALLY hate admitting that I play it.

Sims 2.

:(

Ace42X
02-28-2006, 05:07 PM
http://www.the-underdogs.org/game.php?gameid=898
Free game for the RTS fans.

And one for the lady:
http://www.the-underdogs.org/game.php?id=843

Deep_Sea_Rain
02-28-2006, 10:07 PM
I've been playing tons of Animal Crossing: Wild World for the DS. And I mean tons. Also, still playing alot of Mario Kart DS on the Nintendo Wi-Fi Connections....oh yeah, about to start Shadow Of The Colossus on the PS2 quite soon...

Bobtwi
02-28-2006, 10:42 PM
Atari flashback2.

Ace42X
03-08-2006, 03:46 AM
there is a great n64 emulator.

http://pspupdates.qj.net/Monkey64-Emulator-Update/pg/49/aid/10208

N64 on the PSP could be a reality. Although I'd not hold your breath.

ericlee
03-08-2006, 03:56 AM
I've been playing tons of Animal Crossing: Wild World for the DS. And I mean tons. Also, still playing alot of Mario Kart DS on the Nintendo Wi-Fi Connections....oh yeah, about to start Shadow Of The Colossus on the PS2 quite soon...

you my friend are in for a treat when you play Shadow of the Colossus. Man, I've played it for 10 hours straight and every battle is a boss battle and the surroundings are a masterpiece.

Rancid_Beasties
03-08-2006, 04:31 AM
Holy shit we should all play each other over msn (if you still can, i havent checked), its in my cd drive right now!

synch
03-08-2006, 05:12 AM
you my friend are in for a treat when you play Shadow of the Colossus. Man, I've played it for 10 hours straight and every battle is a boss battle and the surroundings are a masterpiece.
I'm on the before-last one and I don't want to do it because it will mean I'll almost be done :(

(that and I couldn't figure out how the hell I was supposed to get on higher grounds)

ericlee
03-08-2006, 05:24 AM
I'm on the before-last one and I don't want to do it because it will mean I'll almost be done :(

(that and I couldn't figure out how the hell I was supposed to get on higher grounds)

I've only beaten 5 bosses so far and most of the time during the 10 hour length was just riding around enjoying the views..

So how many bosses are there?

Planetary
03-08-2006, 06:03 AM
fourteen.

ericlee
03-08-2006, 06:13 AM
fourteen.

thanks, I know I would have found out just by walking down the hallway but I never did and haven't touched the game in 2 weeks.

synch
03-08-2006, 07:11 AM
There are sixteen

I started playing on sunday and have reached the fifteenth already :o

Junker
03-08-2006, 07:21 AM
Winning Eleven 9 International - PS2

Counter Strike on the - PC