PDA

View Full Version : acting!

Bob
02-24-2006, 11:55 PM
i joined another sketch comedy team about two weeks ago, this one is more serious than the last one i joined, it's got more members and we're actually doing shows and stuff. speaking of shows we've got one on tuesday and i accidentally volunteered to do a live role, which gives me about...4 or 5 days to memorize my lines. it's a pretty funny sketch, i'll post the script once i get it (which is my subtle way of saying i don't have the script yet oh my god what am i going to do).

it hasn't really sunk in yet, but i'm pretty sure i'm nervous about this. see, half of the stuff we do is pre-recorded and the other half is live, i was more interested in the pre-recorded thing but i agreed to do the live thing before i realized i said yes, so, you know. crap!

DandyFop
02-24-2006, 11:57 PM
omg exciting though! I need balls to do this kind of stuff.

you could be the next David, Bob!

ToucanSpam
02-24-2006, 11:58 PM
Wow, this sounds really cool, Bob. Best of luck and be sure to tell us how it goes, it sounds interesting.

cosmo105
02-25-2006, 12:01 AM
haha. i know exactly what tone and inflection you use for "ACTING!" when you say it. nerd pride.

best of luck, bob. don't worry, you're hilarious.

Documad
02-25-2006, 12:02 AM
You didn't ask for advice, but keep doing that kind of thing. Push yourself to do things you're not comfortable with. You may fell awkward, but I promise that others won't see it that way.

Dance!

TurdBerglar
02-25-2006, 12:04 AM
i hope you get nervous and get some indigestion and as soon as you open your mouth for your first line you burp and puke a little in your mouth.

that would be real funny. fuck that sketch comedy shit.

Bob
02-25-2006, 12:06 AM
haha. i know exactly what tone and inflection you use for "ACTING!" when you say it. nerd pride.

best of luck, bob. don't worry, you're hilarious.

i am a master thespian

i'm sure i can do it, i've actually read the script already, about two weeks ago when i joined. it is really funny and it's not too complicated, i'm sure i'm capable. my only concern is that i'm a bit of a quiet talker, i need to project a bit more.

my other concern is that the show is on tuesday at 6:30 pm, and i have a midterm on monday night and another one tuesday afternoon, so that means i have three things to study for on monday afternoon :(

Jmoney77
02-25-2006, 12:10 AM
NICE!

DandyFop
02-25-2006, 12:15 AM
I know it's not improv acting but DAMN you need to see the Office (US) where Steve Carrell goes to improv classes. He makes every single scene into some action movie where he uses a gun, and he just kills everyone else in the scene. Then when they tell him he can't do that anymore, he leans over and whispers in a guy's ear and the guy puts his hands up. When the instructor asks what he said, the guy goes "He told me that he can't show me, but he's got a gun".

OMG WATCH IT YOU OFFICE UK SNOB

Bob
02-25-2006, 12:17 AM
I know it's not improv acting but DAMN you need to see the Office (US) where Steve Carrell goes to improv classes. He makes every single scene into some action movie where he uses a gun, and he just kills everyone else in the scene. Then when they tell him he can't do that anymore, he leans over and whispers in a guy's ear and the guy puts his hands up. When the instructor asks what he said, the guy goes "He told me that he can't show me, but he's got a gun".

I KNOW I KNOW I DEEPLY REGRET BEING a snob ok

voltanapricot
02-25-2006, 03:02 AM

This prompted me to look at the NBC site for The Office US. I didn't know Steve Carrell was in it (I like him a lot) and I found the video clip of the "dinosaur getting ready for improv."
It's pretty funny.
Good luck Nob, sounds fun!

Anne Lauren
02-25-2006, 06:21 AM
Is this group like a club sorta thing in college?

And I'm sure you'll be great! (y)

For the most part though, to me, comedy is really all about the timing...tone of voice...body language...circumstance, etc. Personally, if I had a script...I don't think I'd be as funny, than if I did impromtu comedy. I'd have to feel the audience up first...then determine how I was gonna go about it.

Bob
02-26-2006, 12:01 AM
here's the script. i'm scott. i didn't write it, so don't blame me if it SUCKS

edit: ctrl + v

There’s Waldo

Scott and Shawn have just arrived at a crowded venue. They walk onto the stage and theres about five or so other people just standing around anxiously anticipating a show, talking among themselves (but not audibly so as to drown out the two main characters). Scott and Shawn check out the people already there, and then also look forward while carrying on a discussion.

SHAWN – I can’t believe you got us tickets. This concert is going to be huge. And FRED! Man, Fred is going to be so jealous.

SCOTT – Well it’s not like we didn’t invite him you know? I mean, you said yourself, he was taking way too long in the bathroom. Anyway, he knew we were serious about getting out the door.

SHAWN – Yeah, I don’t care, I’m just pumped. Have you ever seen these guys in concert before?

SCOTT – Nah man, never actually been able to get tickets before.

Slowly more people walk onto stage, throughout the course of their conversation. The fans crowd together in tight quarters, and the guys casually look around to see who is there to see the same concert as them.

SCOTT – Jeez, I think I know why tickets always sell out so quick. Look at the size of this venue. I mean, I doubt if more than 20 people could fit in it.

SHAWN – When do you think they’re going to get started? I’m so pumped.

SCOTT – Oh I don’t know, it said it was going to start at 8, but then again…

Scott trails off as he glances offstage. Walking onto the stage is someone dressed exactly like Waldo from the Where’s Waldo? books. Waldo takes his place among the crowd. He is packed tightly between two people, but still clearly visible to the audience. He stupidly stares straight forward.

SCOTT – What the fuck?

SHAWN – What?

SCOTT – I don’t know, I think… is that Waldo?

SHAWN – What?

SCOTT – You know, Waldo? From the popular children’s book line? You had to find him, remember?

SHAWN – Oh shit! Where’s Waldo, yeah, I remember. Wait, who are you talking about? (Shawn is turning to look, cranking his head)

SCOTT (discreetly) – Him, right there. See him?

SHAWN – What the fuck? Is that Waldo?

SCOTT – That’s what I’m asking you! I thought he was just a cartoon in a book. This guy looks like the real deal.

At this point Waldo glances over and notices the guys are talking about him. He looks at them for a moment, then anxiously glances away. The tension is palpable. He begins fiddling with his cane, as he looks away, obviously listening in.

SHAWN – So like, we found him right?

SCOTT – What?

SHAWN – Like that’s the objective of the books, right? To find Waldo. So, we found him I guess, right? But I mean… now what?

SCOTT – Jeez I don’t know I’ve never thought about it before. Should we ask him?

SHAWN – No way! He’ll know that WE KNOW. It would give us away. Like, what if we’re supposed to catch him.

SCOTT – You’re suggesting that we’re supposed to capture Waldo? Why in the fucking world would we have to capture Waldo?

SHAWN – Think about it. The books are intended for children right? So you spend countless hours of your childhood searching for Waldo, literally SCOURING the pages of countless illustrated tomes. These books are packed to the brim with crowded scenes. Don’t you get it? It’s TRAINING. Why does the government release war-based videogames? TO TRAIN CHILDREN. To make them perfect soldiers. What if the sole reason that a series of books known as “Where’s Waldo?” exists is to TRAIN the world’s children to find Waldo.

SCOTT – Wow. I see your point. But still, we found him, so what?

SHAWN – Well what do you do when you find something? Are you ever like, “Oh look, I found a fucking dollar on the ground, I’ll just leave it here on the ground, mission accomplished. I found it after all.” Is that what you do? NO. You take the dollar.

SCOTT – So you’re suggesting that since we found Waldo, we’re supposed to take him. You’re suggesting we walk over there, and abduct Waldo.

SHAWN – I guess, yeah. I don’t make the rules. We’ll probably get a pot of gold or three wishes or some shit.

SCOTT – He’s not a leprachaun shawn, he’s a human being.

SHAWN – You don’t know that. Tell me how you know that.

SCOTT – Fine, I don’t know that for a fact. So whatever, let’s do this.

Scott and Shawn slowly shuffle through the crowd towards Waldo. Waldo takes notice and keeps glancing towards them. As they get closer he sort of shuffles farther away.

Moments later, the wizard walks onto the stage.

WIZARD – Hey, I’ve been looking for you. You know they’re selling concert t’s out in the lobby. Whoa whoa, what’s up..?

WALDO – Come on, we’ve gotta get out of here. Let’s go.

WIZARD – Why, what’s the matter?

WALDO – GET THE SCROLL, GET WALDINA, LET’S GO.

WIZARD – Fuck, god damnit. Every fucking time, you know that? This is why we can’t bring you anywhere.

Justin
02-26-2006, 12:32 AM
I tend to have a really dry sense of humor. Some people get it, others hate my guts

Bob
02-28-2006, 06:01 PM
oh whoa i forgot i posted the script. anyway it went kinda crappy. totally not my fault though. i remembered all my lines and apparently i projected enough so that people could hear me, but the venue totally blew. it was this sort of half-assed free show that took place in a dining hall, so it was noisy and nobody was really paying attention. plus i didn't really rehearse it in a stage setting, i just memorized my lines, so i didnt quite know what to do with the parts of my body that weren't in charge of talking. but i didn't pee my pants or forget a line or anything, so that's good.

it can only go up from here, really

DIGI
02-28-2006, 06:04 PM
you're so screwed, dude. but hey, good luck!

Bob
02-28-2006, 06:12 PM
no, it's already over

DandyFop
02-28-2006, 06:38 PM
Haha. That script is really bad. Not a horrible concept, but shitty script. That line about the friend in the bathroom......

fucktopgirl
02-28-2006, 06:56 PM
So Bob,are you going to go further and deeper with your actor carrier;abducting Waldo is a good start!

BangkokB
03-01-2006, 07:36 AM
i am a master thespian

You said that with all the flare of Jon Lovitz when he did his Master Thespian piece on SNL reviewing scenes and would throw in the occational "ACTING" as enthusiastic as the genius that said "SCIENCE" in that Thomas Dolby song.

Good Luck and Godspeed. You have balls