PDA

View Full Version : roast a great british chicken weekend!

na§tee
02-27-2006, 07:26 AM
sorry y'all vegetarians, but this weekend - 4 & 5 March, is roast a great british chicken weekend (http://www.britishqualitychicken.co.uk/weekend.aspx), as claimed by the, as my boyfriend eloquently put it "er.. the chicken people?" so we have vowed to make a roast and invite some friends over to enjoy it with us. my boyfriend, as you may know, doesn't live in glasgow and only visits about every two weeks so we're gonna occasion-amplify this up in the hizzzzzouse.

i seriously can't remember the last time i had a roast dinner, or for that matter a nice meal where i hosted people and actually, you know, sat down, drank a couple of bottles of wine, practised that fine lost art of conversation.

so this weekend i think i would like to implant the idea of at least hosting a meal - it doesn't have to be a roast, or a chicken, or indeed british - but just getting some people round to show them that you heart them.

i predict lots of arguments over the oven, however. we have big culinary tradition wars. how we roast/season the potatoes, whether you put an onion or a lemon or a potatoe all up in the chicken to soak up all the fat, what vegetables, what flavour gravy - whether to make the gravy from scratch, or to cop out and buy a packet, what type of stuffing. but we'll be blissing out listening to the radio and drinking some vin rouge all through it, so i'm looking forward.

maybe i will photo-document the occasion, too. we haven't figured out exactly who to invite yet [since we don't have a surplus of friends, really, and my flatmates are away] and haven't agreed how many people a big chicken feeds so i better get working on that.

roasts: (y)

TonsOfFun
02-27-2006, 07:43 AM
I thought all chickens where locked up now for having a cold?

na§tee
02-27-2006, 07:47 AM
ha, no the chicken people are assuring people that the chickens, being great and british an' all, have not got ze dreaded bird flu.
i'm taking my chances!

jabumbo
02-27-2006, 08:07 AM
i won't be home this weekend, but i'll be sure to get some roast chicken at dinner (y)

Freebasser
02-27-2006, 09:05 AM
I had roast chicken sandwiches on the way to Cardiff yesterday (y)

na§tee
02-27-2006, 02:14 PM
there's an idea cmute. i might put some cajun rub on the outside.. still roast it, though. it'll be a usa meets uk roast dinner. hey! that actually is a pretty sweet idea. i, um, can't think of another way to make it more "usa" though since i don't know what you would include in an american roast. oh, apart from cranberry, right? whut?! and what are yams? i always hear yams in random american tv shows/movies.

na§tee
02-27-2006, 04:33 PM
it's not really a holiday, just someone at the british food standards agency has made up for us to all keep on buying chicken when people will predictably stop once bird flu makes its way up here [even though you cannot get it by eating the damned things]

potato and marshmallow! gross-ness! i might just get it mashed.
mashed potato and gravy isn't that far out, but we like roasted potatoes [they remind me of going to the pub on sunday as a kid where the landlady would leave them out for free] so i'll go for that. green beans, hmm, that's a possibility.
rolls? that sounds kinda weird adding more carb to an already carb-alicious meal but i'll see what the manfriend thinks. just, like, normal brown bread rolls?

p.s. where in the south do you come from? it would probably be my first american destination if i ever visited the place, so it would. the culture, food, people.. all sounds fantastic.

na§tee
02-28-2006, 04:51 PM
cmute, i was telling someone at work today about my roast dinner plans and that a person online had suggested rolls to go with it in my usa meets uk theme, and we were discussing the weirdness of this. i quote;
"americans have rolls with everything.. things that you aren't even meant to have rolls with, like roast dinners. but what's weird is that they have crackers with soup. not rolls! WHAT THE FUCK IS UP WITH THAT????!"
i concur.
what the fuck is up with that?! :cool: