PDA

View Full Version : Thinkin caps on..

Guy Incognito
02-27-2006, 12:19 PM
Someone at my office today asked this question - it didnt take me long but one guy still didnt get it after we finished so just wanted to see if anyone on here could get it.

A man walks into a general store which sells.. erm general things. He goes over to a particular section and asks the cashier "How much for one?"
Cashier " 1 pound"
Bloke " How much for twenty?"
Cashier "2 Pound"
Bloke " How much for three hundred?"
Cashier "3 Pound"

Whats the bloke buying?

TAL
02-27-2006, 12:21 PM
I'M THINKING CAPS ARE ON.

franscar
02-27-2006, 12:23 PM
Someone at my office today asked this question - it didnt take me long but one guy still didnt get it after we finished so just wanted to see if anyone on here could get it.

A man walks into a general store which sells.. erm general things. He goes over to a particular section and asks the cashier "How much for one?"
Cashier " 1 pound"
Bloke " How much for twenty?"
Cashier "2 Pound"
Bloke " How much for three hundred?"
Cashier "3 Pound"

Whats the bloke buying?

Numbers. For his front door. Or some other numerical purpose.

Guy Incognito
02-27-2006, 12:27 PM
Numbers. For his front door. Or some other numerical purpose.
(y)
Didnt think it'd take long - I posted I went for a poo came back and there's a correct answer

abcdefz
02-27-2006, 12:40 PM
Could be anything. Maybe they just have quantity discounts.

Yeesh.

Guy Incognito
02-27-2006, 12:47 PM
Could be anything. Maybe they just have quantity discounts.

Yeesh.

Yeah and maybe they'd go out of business in five minutes if they gave discounts like that.

abcdefz
02-27-2006, 12:48 PM
...it's a hypothetical. Maybe they sell penny nails that way.

Guy Incognito
02-27-2006, 12:52 PM
...it's a hypothetical. Maybe they sell penny nails that way.

That still doesnt make sense

abcdefz
02-27-2006, 12:54 PM
Hey, man, you don't like it, don't shop there.

Guy Incognito
02-27-2006, 12:56 PM
Hey, man, you don't like it, don't shop there.
:D
I just meant if they are penny nails then they cost a penny and thats that - isnt it?

abcdefz
02-27-2006, 12:59 PM
...there are very strange proprietors in this world. Especially in hypothetical situations and SAT tests.

There's a used book store locally -- closed for a few years now, but the inventory is still there -- and the owner, toward the last few years, would base the price of any book on how old it was, no matter what condition or anything. So a forty year old paperback copy of Webster's Dictionary would be, you know, thirty bucks.

Crazy.

Guy Incognito
02-27-2006, 01:03 PM
...there are very strange proprietors in this world. Especially in hypothetical situations and SAT tests.

There's a used book store locally -- closed for a few years now, but the inventory is still there -- and the owner, toward the last few years, would base the price of any book on how old it was, no matter what condition or anything. So a forty year old paperback copy of Webster's Dictionary would be, you know, thirty bucks.

Crazy.

You've just proved my point - its closed now :D

abcdefz
02-27-2006, 01:04 PM
damn

Guy Incognito
02-27-2006, 01:08 PM

Crazy.

So this book store - everythins still there? - why hasnt anyone cleared it out or bought it or made a new shop?

Oh and :p :D :)

Sarky Devotchka
02-27-2006, 01:09 PM
I thought it was marshmallows.

Guy Incognito
02-27-2006, 01:10 PM
I thought it was marshmallows.

It would have to be one fuckin big and tasty marshmallow that would cost a quid - like it would have to be handcrafted by real oompa loompa's

abcdefz
02-27-2006, 01:10 PM
So this book store - everythins still there? - why hasnt anyone cleared it out or bought it or made a new shop?

Oh and :p :D :)

...the inventory is still there, probably headed toward moulding. Great downtown location, two floors of a big building where the owner still lives on the third floor.

Guy Incognito
02-27-2006, 01:12 PM
...the inventory is still there, probably headed toward moulding. Great downtown location, two floors of a big building where the owner still lives on the third floor.

Weird , suprised he's never sold up - perhaps he's a ghost on the third floor or something

abcdefz
02-27-2006, 01:15 PM
...I think he owns the space; he was there for many, many years.

There was a bookstore like that in Sacramento, too, but without the huge prices. Its doors were closed for the last few years I lived there, and it remained unsold.

I think that owners like this wind up having too much aging but uninteresting inventory, which they feel still has collectable value, so they can't just let it go and would rather sit on it than take a loss by selling what the inventory is currently worth.

Guy Incognito
02-27-2006, 01:22 PM
...I think he owns the space; he was there for many, many years.

There was a bookstore like that in Sacramento, too, but without the huge prices. Its doors were closed for the last few years I lived there, and it remained unsold.

I think that owners like this wind up having too much aging but uninteresting inventory, which they feel still has collectable value, so they can't just let it go and would rather sit on it than take a loss by selling what the inventory is currently worth.

Thats kinda sad but cool - that he would sit on a pile of book that he cares for rather than make some cash

abcdefz
02-27-2006, 01:23 PM
I've seen that before with collector-types; sometimes they really lose perspective and reason for the sake of principle, almost.

Guy Incognito
02-27-2006, 01:29 PM
I've seen that before with collector-types; sometimes they really lose perspective and reason for the sake of principle, almost.

Yeah - I suppose most collectors start out with a love of something then think they can make money but then it turns back to love especially if its a rare collection.
Some collectors of some things are probably the only people who would buy the stuff they have and therefore its worth bugger all to anyone but them.

Guy Incognito
02-27-2006, 01:37 PM
I get the joke, but I am curious how English money works, you know like 4 quarters in a dollar type of thing?

1 Pound is 100 pence
They have coins of 1pence, 2 pence, 5pence , 10 pence, 20 pence and 50 pence. But to be honest most stuff costs at least a pound these days.

abcdefz
02-27-2006, 01:37 PM
Some collectors of some things are probably the only people who would buy the stuff they have and therefore its worth bugger all to anyone but them.

EXACTLY. They're like the people who save this or that because "one day it'll really be worth something."

Guy Incognito
02-27-2006, 01:40 PM
EXACTLY. They're like the people who save this or that because "one day it'll really be worth something."

My friend really liked a band called the Wonderstuff and he went round the UK trying to get evry single they ever made and he finally found their first EP - cost him £100, then they split up and it took me years to convince him that it wasnt worth anymore than that to anyone but him really but now he's really glad he's got everythin cos he still loves the band.

abcdefz
02-27-2006, 01:44 PM
Wow.

I think the most I've ever paid for a record was $40 for a bootleg of Prince's The Black Album back in the day.

Guy Incognito
02-27-2006, 01:48 PM
Wow.

I think the most I've ever paid for a record was $40 for a bootleg of Prince's The Black Album back in the day.

He bought the £100 record when they were at their peak so it was quite expensive but this was before the internet.
He was a bit obsessed though.
And it was a bit crap -badly produced demo really - he played it once -he still wont play it again though - just in case

abcdefz
02-27-2006, 01:52 PM
Back in the day, the original REM Hibtone single of "Radio Free Europe" was that sort of temptation for me, but I couldn't justify what was, at the time I think, a $200 single. I figured: be patient; it'll come out.

And it did, on Eponymous. Whew. It was good, but my curiosity was worth $200, not that version.

Guy Incognito
02-27-2006, 01:54 PM
Back in the day, the original REM Hibtone single of "Radio Free Europe" was that sort of temptation for me, but I couldn't justify what was, at the time I think, a $200 single. I figured: be patient; it'll come out.

And it did, on Eponymous. Whew. It was good, but my curiosity was worth $200, not that version.

Yeah I'm like that - I've been tempted with a few rare tunes but its hearing the tune not owning a copy thats the attraction - and normally if its good enough you'll get to hear it eventually - and with the internet its a lot easier.

abcdefz
02-27-2006, 01:57 PM
Yeah I'm like that - I've been tempted with a few rare tunes but its hearing the tune not owning a copy thats the attraction - and normally if its good enough you'll get to hear it eventually - and with the internet its a lot easier.

Yup.

Your years have made you wise, Grasshopper. (y)