PDA

View Full Version : wicked, I just made bath bombs!

ms.peachy
02-28-2006, 02:07 PM
heh!

I'm preparing a series of 'kitchen sink' chemistry workshops for teenagers to take out on the road starting next week. One of the 'experiments' I'm wanting to use to talk about acids and bases and such is to make those bath bomb fizzy thingies. But before I do it out with the kids, I wanted to test it out at home, so I know it will work on the day, right? So I just did it and now I've got a bunch of nice little pale purple lavender-scented 'cakes' drying on my kitchen counter. :)

Now, I'm going to go make some snot out of glue and laundry detergent.

marsdaddy
02-28-2006, 02:12 PM
I thought you passed gas in the tub.

What you should make are those sponges that expand in water, a barrel of monkeys, or shrinky dinks...do it!

ms.peachy
02-28-2006, 02:49 PM
How would I make shrinky dinks, or sponges, or monkeys, using stuff I could buy at the supermarket, eh?

Bob
02-28-2006, 02:55 PM
don't they sell sponges at the supermarket? you could just buy some and cut them into the shape of dinosaurs...or maybe if you're lucky you could just buy some that already look like dinosaurs. the kids wouldn't know, kids are dumb.

marsdaddy
02-28-2006, 02:58 PM
How would I make shrinky dinks, or sponges, or monkeys, using stuff I could buy at the supermarket, eh?melt plastic on the stove then cook it in the oven - shrinky dinks.
Shrimp brine - monkeys.
Bob already gave you the sponge one.

And YOU'RE the teacher.

ms.peachy
02-28-2006, 03:08 PM
melt plastic on the stove then cook it in the oven - shrinky dinks.
Shrimp brine - monkeys.
Bob already gave you the sponge one.

And YOU'RE the teacher.
LOL when was the last time you melted plastic on the stove in your kitchen? And how long did it take the fire department to get there?

And what would either of those other two things teach my kids about chemistry, eh?

Jmoney77
02-28-2006, 03:23 PM
Oh crap

jabumbo
02-28-2006, 03:28 PM
who really cares about learning chemistry anyway?

thats why they put those special labels and placards on the ones that are hazardous

mickill
02-28-2006, 03:29 PM
LOL when was the last time you melted plastic on the stove in your kitchen?
Do baby bottles count?

ms.peachy
02-28-2006, 03:46 PM
Do baby bottles count?
Depends. Did you create toxic fumes? If so, then yes!

btw - my snotbag turned out DISGUSTINGLY slimy and gross! (y) These kids are gonna love me.

jabumbo
02-28-2006, 04:06 PM
if they were toxic, wouldnt he be dead?

or at least have a rash...

beastieangel01
02-28-2006, 04:20 PM
I want to play!

ms.peachy
02-28-2006, 04:21 PM
if they were toxic, wouldnt he be dead?

or at least have a rash...
Not neccessarily. Depends on how much, how long, and how toxic. You ingest toxic substances on a fairly regular basis and you're not dead, right?

b-grrrlie
02-28-2006, 04:31 PM
I planned to make some bath bombs for Christmas presents (those things are ridiculously expensive here!), found some good recipies on the net, but then I ran out of baking powder...

jabumbo
02-28-2006, 06:16 PM
Not neccessarily. Depends on how much, how long, and how toxic. You ingest toxic substances on a fairly regular basis and you're not dead, right?

i wear an air purifying respirator at all times

cookiepuss
02-28-2006, 06:25 PM
my boyfriends half sister started her own line of all natural, organic bath products...and one of the thier most popular products is the bath fizzies. Her shit is so popular now that she's got a chain of stores and they do freaking special parties for celebs like Ozzy and Sharon Ozborne.

Bob
02-28-2006, 06:30 PM
say, i wonder if the FBI tagged this thread for review...for some reason i think the phrase "i just made ... bombs" would worry them :(