PDA

View Full Version : is there anyway to simultaneously use headphones and speakers on a pc?

Bob
02-28-2006, 08:00 PM
unlike my last computer question, i actually did attempt to google this one first, but i didn't find anything satisfactory. i've found that i like using headphones for my computer, but there are times (for instance, using the alarm clock program i asked about in the last thread) when i want to use the external speakers, instead. unfortunately, both of them use the same jack, and it's kind of a pain to crawl back there and switch them around every day. is there a way to use both at the same time? I looked around on my PC for other headphone jacks, the only one i found is on my CD burner, but i couldn't figure out how to get that to work. it might just work for listening to CD's or something. i'm not too bright about these kinds of things you see.

anyway, any help would be appreciated.

TurdBerglar
02-28-2006, 08:02 PM
get a minijack splitter

Tzar
02-28-2006, 08:03 PM
i've wondered this too but i've been told it can't be done. does 5.1 on a computer require more than one port?

Bob
02-28-2006, 08:04 PM
get a minijack splitter

yeah, it looked like that was going to be the way to go. i figured i'd sniff around first, though.

Ace42X
02-28-2006, 08:04 PM
There is a "throughput" cable (maybe even two if you have digital as well as analogue plugged in) that connects a CD to the soundcard. If that is in order, you might be able to do it like that. If you have an onboard audio out as well as a soundcard, then you could be in luck, although that can cause problems. Ditto for a standard dial-up voice-modem.

TurdBerglar
02-28-2006, 08:05 PM
i've wondered this too but i've been told it can't be done. does 5.1 on a computer require more than one port?

three

one for left and right
one for left and right surround
one for center and subwoofer

you need atleast a 5.1 soundcard

TurdBerglar
02-28-2006, 08:10 PM
hey bob. don't your speakers have a headphone jack in them?

Bob
02-28-2006, 08:21 PM
hey bob. don't your speakers have a headphone jack in them?

i looked, i didn't see one. i think i checked everywhere that a jack might be, the front, the back, the top, hell, even the bottom. nothing. ah well. i'll just get a splitter i think.

monkey
02-28-2006, 08:31 PM
three

one for left and right
one for left and right surround
one for center and subwoofer

you need atleast a 5.1 soundcard

i have 5.1 on my computer with just one jack. :cool:

TurdBerglar
02-28-2006, 08:33 PM
is it digital out?

monkey
02-28-2006, 08:43 PM
i dont knoooow. all i know is that i plugged things in and everything worked dandy.

TurdBerglar
02-28-2006, 08:44 PM
i need to know what the fuck this is now

CrankItUp!
02-28-2006, 09:15 PM
If your listening through headphones, why do you want sound to stream out of the pc speakers too ? :confused:

Bob
02-28-2006, 09:18 PM
If your listening through headphones, why do you want sound to stream out of the pc speakers too ? :confused:

the thread title's a little misleading; i don't want to listen to them both at the same time, i just want them to both be active at the same time...i like to listen to headphones most of the time, but there are also times when i want to use my speakers (using my PC as an alarm clock, listening to music from it or watching a movie while not sitting within headphone range, and so on). right now the only way to switch between the two is to reach behind the PC and swith the plugs around which is kind of annoying to do too often. i'd much rather just click a button or something.

Tzar
02-28-2006, 09:28 PM
watching a movie -- right now the only way to switch between the two is to reach behind the PC and swith the plugs around which is kind of annoying to do too often. i'd much rather just click a button or something.
word. it's fuckin' annoying. i used to use headphones all the time for everything till they break - now i can't be fucked. but yeah, back in the day you might have your mates over and not all of them can listen to headphones. (n)