PDA

View Full Version : Anybody still read comics? (I'm lookin at YOU, Bob)

Qdrop
03-01-2006, 10:42 AM
just curious.

i really only read the classic graphics novels (purchasing past greats that i hadn't read yet)....

but i just went out and got Ultimate Wolverine vs. Hulk #1 and #2, just for the fuck of it.

the writer from Lost decided to try his hand at comics.

Wovlerine gets his legs torn off by the Hulk.

hpdrifter
03-01-2006, 10:44 AM
I just read my first graphic novel and I really liked it.

What are some must reads in the graphic novel genre? I want to read some more.

Qdrop
03-01-2006, 10:49 AM

in order of importance:

#1 The Watchmen - changed comics forever.
#2 The Dark knight Returns
#3 anything Sandman by Alan Moore
#4 V for Vendetta
#5 The Crow (this is where the Crow movies came from..)

plenty more...

edit: how the fuck did i forget Sincity?
yeah...put that in the top 5.

hpdrifter
03-01-2006, 10:50 AM
The one I am almost finished with is V for Vendetta.

Good to know, thanks.

Bob
03-01-2006, 10:51 AM

watchmen watchmen watchmen!

it's probably one of the best peices of literature i've read period, graphic or no. although, i'm not really as well read as i'd like to be. nonetheless, it's just great.

i don't read comics as much as i'd like to (that sounds silly, most people say the opposite), but the ones i have read i liked a LOT. i've read a few punishers, they kick ass (written by garth ennis). i got a nick fury comic (also written by garth ennis) for christmas that was just awesome. it wasn't mindblowing from a story perspective or anything, it was just extremely fucking cool. there's a part where fury strangles a guy to death with his own intestines.

i've been meaning to read frank miller's batman for a long time now, but i haven't gotten to it yet. i've also been meaning to read daredevil (seeing as how i'm planning to go to law school, it seems appropriate), but again, i haven't. iron man also seems interesting.

i've read all the sin city comics, they're what got me into comics in general (thanks to the movie, which is like 10x better if you've read the comics btw)...before that, i hadn't really given them much consideration, i thought they were for kids and nerds quite honestly. well, i suppose they're still kind of nerdy, but hey, i am who i am.

ps: watchmen! (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0930289234/sr=8-1/qid=1141231423/ref=pd_bbs_1/002-4889472-5936006?%5Fencoding=UTF8)

V for Vendetta by the same author is also really good. there's a movie coming out 3/17 that i want to see, even if the wachowski brothers are directing.

Ace42X
03-01-2006, 11:00 AM
I read some web-comics regularly. Mainly megatokyo.com and sexylosers.com

I occasionaly dip into hekshano.com, but the guy is an average artist and a poor writer.

hpdrifter
03-01-2006, 11:00 AM
Cool, thanks guys. I'll pick Watchmen up today. I should finish V for Vendetta at lunch so I'll need something new.

I forgot how fun reading can be.

Qdrop
03-01-2006, 11:03 AM
Cool, thanks guys. I'll pick Watchmen up today. I should finish V for Vendetta at lunch so I'll need something new.

I forgot how fun reading can be.

Watchmen is so fucking enthralling. it's unlike any superhero story you'll ever read.

and what an ending. damn.

Bob
03-01-2006, 11:05 AM
just curious.

i really only read the classic graphics novels (purchasing past greats that i hadn't read yet)....

but i just went out and got Ultimate Wolverine vs. Hulk #1 and #2, just for the fuck of it.

the writer from Lost decided to try his hand at comics.

Wovlerine gets his legs torn off by the Hulk.

but DON'T TELL HIM WHAT HE CAN'T DO, BUB!

i should have thought of that sooner, now the timing's lost

beastiegirrl101
03-01-2006, 11:07 AM
I read the funnies in the sunday newspaper.

hpdrifter
03-01-2006, 11:08 AM
Watchmen is so fucking enthralling. it's unlike any superhero story you'll ever read.

and what an ending. damn.

Shocked it hasn't been made into a movie yet.

Who would you cast? Who should direct?

mickill
03-01-2006, 11:11 AM
I like J.Scott Cambell's stuff. That's about it.

I was really into Danger Girl a few years back. Wildsiderz has been kind of corny, though.

Qdrop
03-01-2006, 11:13 AM
Shocked it hasn't been made into a movie yet.

it is- in pre-production now.

and just like League of Extrodinary Gentlemen (same writer as Watchmen), it will be ruined.

Qdrop
03-01-2006, 11:14 AM
I like J.Scott Cambell's stuff. That's about it.

Gen13, right? with Image comics...

yeah, that was one of the last comics i was reading before i quit...back in like....92 or 93...

mickill
03-01-2006, 11:17 AM
Yeah, Gen 13 was cool. But Danger Girl kicks its ass. DG was cinematic.

hpdrifter
03-01-2006, 11:19 AM
Yeah, Gen 13 was cool. But Danger Girl kicks its ass. DG was cinematic.

Danger Girl? Now that sounds like something I could get into.

roosta
03-01-2006, 11:19 AM
i used to read Judge Dredd....followed it for a couple of years.

jabumbo
03-01-2006, 11:21 AM
it is- in pre-production now.

and just like League of Extrodinary Gentlemen (same writer as Watchmen), it will be ruined.

sounds like something i should read before the movie gets around...

i don't read much (well nothing now besides textbooks and magazines) but i like to read certain things. maybe i will give this a go.

mickill
03-01-2006, 11:28 AM
Danger Girl? Now that sounds like something I could get into.
Yeah, you should (http://www.galeriadosbrinquedos.com.br/artigos/figuras/05060702.jpg)

hpdrifter
03-01-2006, 11:39 AM
I should've known you'd be into comics with girls with massive knockers in tight clothes.

mickill
03-01-2006, 11:47 AM
Hellz yeah (http://64.34.172.56/g/albums/Comics/DCComics/November_05/DangerGirlBackinBlackCv1.jpg)

Good stories, too, though.

GreenEarthAl
03-01-2006, 01:21 PM
I used to follow John Byrne around. I started getting comics during his run on the X-Men. Then I read his Fantastic Four run religiously.

When image started up I used to really, really love the art on Pitt.

I produced my own monthly comic book (http://www.amprosoft.com/archive/1998/AMPGrm.html) for 3 years back in the 90s.

cosmo105
03-01-2006, 01:35 PM
neeeeeeerds!

diget
03-01-2006, 09:17 PM
Spiderman has a new suit. I ahven't seen the final draft yet, but its yellow. Yellow. Fucking yellow, man! FUCKING YELLOW!

ToucanSpam
03-01-2006, 09:20 PM
I stopped when I was about 14 or 15, but I'm one of those 'who would win' guys.

kaiser soze
03-01-2006, 09:42 PM
I have mine from many years ago, and there are some doozies

well..I think so

Like The Micronauts (really cool comic, didn't seem to stick)

Spiderman 299/300, the introduction of Venom!

The Lady Manderine (Psyloche) series from X-men

Inferno ( X-men, X-factor, X-Force, Young Mutants )

Tons of Gi.Joe, Punisher, Daredevil, X-men, and Spiderman

sitting in a box in my closet

B4BY 4NN
03-01-2006, 10:09 PM
Does watching cartoons count?

Cartoons are probably the only thing I DO watch. And not anime included (a lot of it on Toonami's block has sucked in the recent years). I guess you can deduct another 10/20p from my maturity level. :(

As for comics... I read mostly manga; manga about neko gals and cheese, highschool romances (i.e. Kare Kano/His & Her Circumstances). Heh!

Medellia
03-01-2006, 11:07 PM
I LOVE Batman. Always have. Grew up reading my dad's stash of Batman and Tales From the Crypt comics. I've also got the first in a series called The Walking Dead. Zombie/comic nerds should check it out. I really want to check out V For Vendetta and The Watchmen, but haven't had a chance yet. Great topic, Q. (y)

HEIRESS
03-01-2006, 11:44 PM
my friend always has those dirty bird emo graphicy novel type comics lying around and they make me pop bone and stuff with their lil sexy/depressing/lame drawings of depressingly lame emo people having sex

:o

Documad
03-01-2006, 11:48 PM
I read some graphic novels. I try to read them slowly and make them last. They're one of the few book types that I actually buy, rather than check out for the library, so it feels too decadent to whiz through them. They take a surprising amount of time to "read."

I haven't touched a comic book in about 20 years though.

BGirl
03-02-2006, 12:47 AM

Maus

Documad
03-02-2006, 01:39 AM
Maus
Sometimes it freaks me out that we have the same taste.

BGirl
03-02-2006, 02:06 AM
I'm not quite sure how to take that.

:p

On an unrelated tangent, it's been a marathon bookbinding day first at the Met and now here, making a box for my mom's birthday. My back aches and I'm exhausted and want to go to bed (bookbinding can be hard physical labor sometimes, and this is def. one of those times) and I keep losing my pencil. :mad:

So I thought I'd come on the internet and complain about it. :o

Back to the salt mines...

cosmo105
03-02-2006, 12:56 PM
i'll admit, i read me some ghost world when i'm at giant robot and things by the same author whose name i can't remember right now. but they get so pricey. i'd much rather have the bruce lee stepping in gum shirt.

Friis gal
03-02-2006, 03:10 PM
I reed lots of spider-man, but it's long time since i have had time to reed.
the most resent series I have is Revelations by Jenkins and Ramos, first dark horse I have been reeding .I liked it but it had a strange ending..

ToucanSpam
03-02-2006, 03:17 PM
EVERYONE should be required to read Frank Miller's Sin City comic books.

Documad
03-02-2006, 07:09 PM
I'm not quite sure how to take that.

:p

The best possible way. :)