PDA

View Full Version : The Aristocrats

The Notorious LOL
03-02-2006, 12:48 PM
God I thought that movie was fucking trash. Has anyone else seen it? Its very self-indulgent and repetitive. Maybe its a generational thing....Ive said more profane things in the midst of an otherwise serious conversation before.

Even Bob Saget who everyone talks up wasnt very funny...after the initial "haha its Danny Tanner and hes cussin" thrill wore off it was just more of the same bullshit.

P.S. I didnt laugh once.

monkey
03-02-2006, 12:52 PM
there was a thread on this movie back when it came out on theatres.

The Notorious LOL
03-02-2006, 01:00 PM
there was a thread on this movie back when it came out on theatres.

who gives a shit? I made a new one.

monkey
03-02-2006, 01:05 PM
it has the reviews you might be looking for. damn.

abcdefz
03-02-2006, 01:07 PM
God I thought that movie was fucking trash. Has anyone else seen it? Its very self-indulgent and repetitive. Maybe its a generational thing....Ive said more profane things in the midst of an otherwise serious conversation before.

Even Bob Saget who everyone talks up wasnt very funny...after the initial "haha its Danny Tanner and hes cussin" thrill wore off it was just more of the same bullshit.

P.S. I didnt laugh once.

....I caught part of it after watching another movie. Yep -- it was really bad AND self-congratulatory.

Like, part of the big deal was supposed to be Gilbert Godfried's version of the joke at the Hefner roast. So they start showing it, then cut to someone talking about what genius it is, then back to a bit more Godfriend, then cut to someone talking about the joke, then back to Godfriend, then cut to someone else talking about the joke... I mean, it totally and completely ruins whatever rhythm and timing might have built to make his delivery even slightly amusing. It was just so fucking awful.

The premise of the movie is great; the joke they chose to use isn't even funny, though, which they admit. It's clearly just for shock value, which is so cheap and unimaginative, it's hard to believe this thing got applause.

The Notorious LOL
03-02-2006, 01:07 PM
it doesnt. you liked it for some reason...and everyone else talked about how they thought the thread was about that Disney cat cartoon.

I think to anyone who was previously unaware that a lot of comedians ad lib on stage they might be like "OH WOW THEY ARE QUITE IMAGINATIVE AND CREATIVE!" but that again seems obvious.

enree erzweglle
03-02-2006, 01:13 PM
I saw it with someone who could not stop laughing. That made it hysterical to me. Like he was leaning in to me because he was laughing so hard, couldn't hold himself up and he's a serious guy normally.

Part of it might have been the build up. Like they took me so, so painfully far before they started in on the joke itself. By then, I might have laughed at a CBS sitcom.

roosta
03-02-2006, 01:33 PM
i only saw the south park part, but thought it was hilarious!

beastiegirrl101
03-02-2006, 01:54 PM
whats the joke that everyone tells?

bigblu89
03-02-2006, 02:02 PM
From Wikipedia....

This version of the joke is fairly short, and simply demonstrates the form. Actual performances of the joke can last minutes, and it is rumored that Chevy Chase used to hold parties at which the goal was to tell the joke for half an hour.

A man walks into a talent agent's office, and says, "We're a family act, and we'd like you to represent us."
The agent says, "Sorry, I don't represent family acts. They're a little too old-fashioned."
The man says, "But, this is really special."
The agent says, "Okay, well what's the act?"
He replies, "Well, my wife and I come out on stage and she begins to sing the Star Spangled Banner while I take her roughly from behind. After a minute of this, my kids come out and begin to do the same, but my daughter's singing the original To Anacreon in Heaven lyrics while my son performs anal sex on her."
The agent looks uncomfortable, but the man continues, "Just when my daughter hits the highest note in the song, my son and I switch partners. He turns my wife around and gives her a Dirty Sanchez before having her perform oral sex on him. When the song's over and we're both getting close, we all stop and lay down on the stage."
The man smiles fondly as he recalls, "This is the best part: our dog then comes out on the stage, and he's trained to lick each one of us to orgasm in turn. He just goes right down the line, looking as happy as can be! We all get up and take a bow."
He looks at the agent and says, "Well, that's the act. What do you think?"
The agent just sits in silence for a long time. Finally, he manages, "That's a hell of an act. What do you call yourselves?"
To which the father replies, "The Aristocrats."

DipDipDive
03-02-2006, 05:30 PM
That movie's pretty goddamn boring and it's a sad testament to the universal appeal of mindless humor. I don't have a problem with that kind of comedy or anything, but it doesn't really do it for me, and certainly not when it's the EXACT SAME joke repeated over and over with only mild variation for an hour and a half straight.

I thought Sarah Silverman was pretty funny, though.

Bob
03-02-2006, 05:33 PM
i never saw the movie, but i think the joke is just kind of out of date. like the aristocratic class isn't really a big deal anymore, so the joke isn't very relevant. way back when, it was probably funnier because aristocrats actually mattered, and the audience would have been like "oh whoa that's ruthlessly absurd, aristocrats wouldn't act like that, i say". but today it's just a dirty joke.

it's like if you're still doing lewinski jokes, basically.

cookiepuss
03-02-2006, 05:39 PM
you people are are incredibly harsh critics. the whole point is that it's not that great of a joke, but the focus is about how the premisis for the joke leaves so much creative licence that everyone tells it differently. What's wrong with that?

It's not my favorite documentary, but I enjoyed seeing how some of the comics I love put thier spin on it. I laughed. and at times I was surprised how some of the comics I usually enjoy, didn't come up with a version that made me laugh. the movie was ok, man. geez.

DandyFop
03-02-2006, 05:40 PM

P.S. I didnt laugh once.

THANK YOU! When I was like "meh" to people about the movie they're like BUT DID YOU SEE BOB SAGET? Yeah, and it WASN'T FUNNY.

WTF? It was just a poorly put-together documentary. The only reason it got any notoriety is because there was famous people in. I think I laughed at the joke maybe once.

DandyFop
03-02-2006, 05:42 PM
I thought Sarah Silverman was pretty funny, though.

Yeah her part was good.

I think it could have been a good film. It's all in the editing.

I would have made that movie kick-ass (y)

DipDipDive
03-02-2006, 05:46 PM
you people are are incredibly harsh critics. the whole point is that it's not that great of a joke, but the focus is about how the premisis for the joke leaves so much creative licence that everyone tells it differently. What's wrong with that?

Nothing, but none of the comedians did anything exceptionally creative or different from the others.

cookiepuss
03-02-2006, 05:53 PM
Well I got the impression that it wasn't really about who could be the funniest but who could tell the grossest version (and possibly get some laughs out of it in the process). I wasn't expecting to be blown away by anyone's version of it, so i guess my expectations were just low enough that I could enjoy the story telling process.

DipDipDive
03-02-2006, 05:54 PM
Yeah her part was good.

I think it could have been a good film. It's all in the editing.

I would have made that movie kick-ass (y)

Eh. Boring is boring no matter how it's edited. I'm not questioning your ability or anything, I just don't think there was much there for anyone to work with, really.

DipDipDive
03-02-2006, 06:00 PM
Actually now that I think about it, the funniest part of that movie was when Eric Idle was talking about how there's only one joke he tells that he doesn't fuck up, and he fucked it up when he told it. Incidentally, it wasn't the aristocrats joke, and it seemed as though that clip served merely as a buffer between one segment of redundant bullshit and the next.

DandyFop
03-02-2006, 06:10 PM
If some of my favorite comedians had been in it I probably would have liked it more.

King PSYZ
03-02-2006, 06:33 PM
Yeah whoever cut the movie needs to have their eyeballs removed. I lasted all of 20 minutes when I realised they were never gonna let the joke play out.

If it were me I would have had a little backstory on the joke, have someone tell it, a few anecdotes, another version in full, ect.

Instead we got a two hour ego mastrubation home movie.

SobaViolence
03-02-2006, 06:35 PM
imagine Colbert doing that joke...

if only.

roosta
03-02-2006, 06:36 PM
is that south park clip played in its entirety in it? how can you not think that's funny. its amazing!

ToucanSpam
03-02-2006, 06:41 PM
It was not funny and in fact very lame. It was like all the comedians were given hand jobs in the form of a movie.

Documad
03-02-2006, 06:55 PM
Ah, bless you, LOL.

kleptomaniac
03-02-2006, 07:51 PM
i only saw the south park part, but thought it was hilarious!

now that i hear the words "south park" i'm suddenly very curious...