PDA

View Full Version : those of you who slaved through college

beastieangel01
03-02-2006, 05:03 PM
meaning: worked a lot, went to school a lot, always had a lot of homework, and barely had a social life if any...

did it pay off?

:|

Ace42X
03-02-2006, 05:07 PM
Depends. Yes in that I missed a lot of lectures, had a lot of sex, drank a lot of beer, and did a fair bit of smoking. No, in that the degree is meaningless, given how little effort I put into it, and I would've learned more on my subject staying at home and reading in my own time.

Bob
03-02-2006, 05:10 PM
it probably depends on what you're majoring in. like if you're majoring in philosophy (like i almost am!) then it's probably not worth the trouble because careerwise, there's not much demand for philosophers. and if you're just interested in the subject, you'd probably just be fine reading books and such on your own time, since that's pretty much all i do in philosophy classes. getting a degree probably isn't dreadfully worth it unless you plan to go onto grad school.

but if you're majoring in something more technical, like computers or engineering or i don't know, then yeah, it's probably worth it, employers would want to look for people with a degree.

i'm not much help though, i haven't graduated yet (nor have i worked very hard...yet)

edit: i'm studying for an exam now and i'm learning more from wikipedia in 5 minutes than i did in a 50 minute lecture :(

beastieangel01
03-02-2006, 05:14 PM
neither of you made me feel any better :p

Eh. I am in school from 8am until 9:30pm Monday and Wednesdays. I work regular hours (8-5, 4 if I don't take a lunch) on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays.

I have a fucked up immunte system, so I make sure to go to the gym at least three times a week. Usually right after work for 1 1/2 hours.

I also then have to cook most of my own food due to lack of funds + immune system issues, which also takes time. Usually an hour or more to prepare, cook, clean up. We have no dishwasher, so I have that tacked on too. Then I have to clean the house and do laundry, clean (I am hardcore allergic to dust so I have to dust, vacuum, and do laundry every week) and do all the other little cleaning jobs as needed. That takes hours.

I am surprised I even get sleep sometimes.

beastieangel01
03-02-2006, 05:15 PM
Bob:

I am majoring in Art. I want to go on to grad school so I can teach as a professor.

Not trying to be rich. Just trying to do something I actually enjoy.

Bob
03-02-2006, 05:31 PM
oh, well, if you want to be a professor, you probably don't have much choice, i'm guessing that most professors are college grads. i guess it just depends on how bad you want to be a professor.

you're welcome in advance for that awesomely helpful response by the way, no need to say it :)

beastieangel01
03-02-2006, 05:39 PM
yeah I figure that to be a professor, I need to work hard at it. It makes sense.

It's just, for me, I have to do about 596845964 other things along with school so it becomes stressful/straining sometimes.

Especially when I run in to people in my major that don't have a job because Mom and Dad pay for everything, even rent money for a place to live on their own. I WISH I had that, I'd devote every waking moment to my art work then. Gah.

C'est La Vie.

p.s. thanks :P

ChrisLove
03-02-2006, 05:51 PM
There are better ways to learn subjects than degrees - for example Enigma on the political boards could probably beat me in any arguement about economics even tho I have a masters degree and he is like 15 or something (at least in terms of principles maybe not in the maths). Likeways I can argue my case in physics against a guy with a degree/masters in Physics from Oxford. Being interested in a subject wll get you further than just academic study.

Mostly getting a degree shows employers that you can understand basic concepts and are not an imbecile - but to be a prof, ie get a doctorate I think you really have to know the shit. I envy people who are passionate enough about a subject to achieve that status - I think I could have done it in cosmology or string theory but not economics which unfortunately is my chosen field of study.

Bob
03-02-2006, 06:11 PM
I think I could have done it in cosmology or string theory but not economics which unfortunately is my chosen field of study.

that always seems like such a kick in the ass to me. sometimes you don't realize how sick you are of a subject until it's too late to turn back. Like, you study three years of psychology and all of a sudden you realize "oh shit, i hate psychology, i want to study physics now", but it's too late. unless you want to blow a ton of money doing college all over again, that is.

Monsieur Decuts
03-02-2006, 06:13 PM
Yes the 6 years in school have been worth it. I've gotten to travel the continent on the company dime and have gone from broke to comfortable in a very short time. In my life hard work and good intentions have almost always ended up in something positive.

ChrisLove
03-02-2006, 06:18 PM
that always seems like such a kick in the ass to me. sometimes you don't realize how sick you are of a subject until it's too late to turn back. Like, you study three years of psychology and all of a sudden you realize "oh shit, i hate psychology, i want to study physics now", but it's too late. unless you want to blow a ton of money doing college all over again, that is.

True but the point is that you can learn physics or whatever outside of college.Enigma knows shit loads about economics because he has a passion for it and reads books and up to date journals.

Sure, as far as employers are concerned, a degree is great - I have a good job in the world of economics but I can still learn physics on the side so its not so bad. I think te point to take away from this is that you can easily get a better than university level (at least at a non technical level) of knowledge in a topic without going to uni.

I love physics and am sad that I will never contribute to the world of physics - but I still know a lot about it and I get paid for an economic job which pays wages tat I could never get as a scientist.

Plus, there are always ways to get involved in areas that interest you ie I could in theoy become an acountant at CERN and have a greater influence on scientific discovery than a physicist ever could.

g-mile7
03-02-2006, 06:19 PM
neither of you made me feel any better :p

Eh. I am in school from 8am until 9:30pm Monday and Wednesdays. I work regular hours (8-5, 4 if I don't take a lunch) on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays.

I have a fucked up immunte system, so I make sure to go to the gym at least three times a week. Usually right after work for 1 1/2 hours.

I also then have to cook most of my own food due to lack of funds + immune system issues, which also takes time. Usually an hour or more to prepare, cook, clean up. We have no dishwasher, so I have that tacked on too. Then I have to clean the house and do laundry, clean (I am hardcore allergic to dust so I have to dust, vacuum, and do laundry every week) and do all the other little cleaning jobs as needed. That takes hours.

I am surprised I even get sleep sometimes.

you just need a good man at home ;) hahaha

Bob
03-02-2006, 06:30 PM
I love physics and am sad that I will never contribute to the world of physics - but I still know a lot about it and I get paid for an economic job which pays wages tat I could never get as a scientist.

that's more of what i was getting at there...i mean yeah, you can learn about anything at any time you'd like, you don't need college for that. but suppose you major in accounting or something, and on year three you realize that you hate it and you don't want to be an accountant, you'd rather be a biologist. by now though, it's too late to go back, you're kind of stuck with being an accountant.

na§tee
03-02-2006, 06:44 PM
eh. i deleted by super-long ass post because it was a bit emotional and revealing. not that i mind but i really don't want to be given shit for it. i'll redraft something later when i've had some sleep. catchya!

beastieangel01
03-02-2006, 07:38 PM
first of all, it's obvious to most I believe that you can learn a lot about a subject without a degree. I am aware of that. I am trying to be a PROFESSOR though (what's the word for pirate treasure?) because I love art and I love to help others learn and improve their skills to become better artists (as well as see other peoples styles, what they make, and get inspired all at once).

To actually do that and GET PAID for it, I have to get that degree. So although I appreciate the sentiment, it has no application here.

And a man at home?

1. I am living with my boyfriend now, he pays the rent + utlities, I am just paying for my food, the usual insurance crap, gas, parking (school and at work), medical debt, school supplies, and bills, bills, bills up the ass. He's working full time and taking a night class.

2. It took a lot for me to come around to living with the boyfriend rent/util free. I hate, and I mean HATE relying on other people that could have potential strings... but we love each other, so I gave it a shot.

I hate relying on anyone period.

Claire, I look forward to a reply from you :)

Also, THANK YOU Monsieur Decuts for a worthwhile reply (y)

g-mile7
03-02-2006, 07:48 PM
first of all, it's obvious to most I believe that you can learn a lot about a subject without a degree. I am aware of that. I am trying to be a PROFESSOR though (what's the word for pirate treasure?) because I love art and I love to help others learn and improve their skills to become better artists (as well as see other peoples styles, what they make, and get inspired all at once).

To actually do that and GET PAID for it, I have to get that degree. So although I appreciate the sentiment, it has no application here.

And a man at home?

1. I am living with my boyfriend now, he pays the rent + utlities, I am just paying for my food, the usual insurance crap, gas, parking (school and at work), medical debt, school supplies, and bills, bills, bills up the ass. He's working full time and taking a night class.

2. It took a lot for me to come around to living with the boyfriend rent/util free. I hate, and I mean HATE relying on other people that could have potential strings... but we love each other, so I gave it a shot.

I hate relying on anyone period.

Claire, I look forward to a reply from you :)

hahaha (y) :) bet he can't cook, iron, wash, mop fold and fry a chicken in 15 mintues or less hahha, just playing with you!

Rancid_Beasties
03-02-2006, 07:52 PM
How can you be at school 8am-9:30pm on wednesday if you also work 8am-4pm? I dont get it :(

Also, does 2 days at 13.5 hours per day at school mean you have 27 contact hours? Holy shit! I am doing a double degree in arts and law and I only have 12.5 contact hours. How does that work?

Documad
03-02-2006, 07:57 PM
The fact that you're doing it against heavier odds than most students is impressive to me. It will be impressive to other people too. Lots of people kind of float through school because parents are paying the bills and it avoids getting a job. What does that really show about them? You are proving that you can maintain a goal and work towards it even though it involves sacrifice.

DapperDiverge
03-02-2006, 08:58 PM
i always had this misconception that what ever i majored in i'd have to become, career wise... but now i realize that no, it doesn't work that way!! good... my first couple of years i couldn't make up my fucking mind... i'm planning to get my bachelors in art history and i'm not really too sure of this major either... but i figured what the hell... i do like art and i like history, put them together and there you go!!

I now plan to just go along with it and get my bachelors in art history... i guess i could get my masters in art history as well but i really just wanna go to an art school and learn graphic arts or web design...

they always say where do you picture yourself in 10 years... i can honestly say i have no fucking idea!! look at these celebrities that were told they would never amount to anything...i could become something bigger than i ever imagined... maybe not!! life is russian roulette, will you take the bullet?

i'm pretty sure this will all be worth it... if not college is one of the most greatest money making schemes out there

insertnamehere
03-02-2006, 09:18 PM
im having serious issues right now making up my mind about what i want to major in. its a combination of pessimism, low self esteem, and fear of failure.

my initial intent (im currently a biology major) was to go to vet school. my problem with this is that vet school is SO hard to get into. harder than medical school by FAR. aside from the grades and all the prerequisit classes and all the usual getting into a grade school type stuff, you're expected to have several hundred hours of experience working under the direct supervision of a vet, and several hundred hours in another animal related job, such as working at an animal shelter, along with reccomendations and reviews from vets. and they want as much diversity in animal experience as possible, working at a vet clinic isnt good enough, they want you to have experience with farm animals and wildlife and all kinds of stuff. right now my grades are absolute shit. i honestly just dont know if i can do it.

another intrest, engineering. engineering is scary because i SUCK at math and id have to take a special physics that, well, i know people that are taking it right now and its so hard. i mean, people that are really good at physics and cant pass these tests. the workload would be insane. im definetly not stupid but i doubt my ability to actually do it. ive never taken any physics so i dont really know how id fare, but to me physics all looks like really fucking hard math problems and as i said before, math isnt exactly my strong point. and i dont know what kind of engineering i would want to do, if i did chemical i could combine my intrest in biology, they have a subcategory of chemical engineering that has to do with genetics. mechanical sounds cool as hell but i dont really know much about it. industrial sounds interesting, but i doubt i could do well in that field.

making big descicions scares me. worst part is ive fucked around for goin on two years now so i need to make up my mind fast like

Monsieur Decuts
03-02-2006, 09:24 PM
im having serious issues right now making up my mind about what i want to major in. its a combination of pessimism, low self esteem, and fear of failure.

my initial intent (im currently a biology major) was to go to vet school. my problem with this is that vet school is SO hard to get into. harder than medical school by FAR. aside from the grades and all the prerequisit classes and all the usual getting into a grade school type stuff, you're expected to have several hundred hours of experience working under the direct supervision of a vet, and several hundred hours in another animal related job, such as working at an animal shelter, along with reccomendations and reviews from vets. and they want as much diversity in animal experience as possible, working at a vet clinic isnt good enough, they want you to have experience with farm animals and wildlife and all kinds of stuff. right now my grades are absolute shit. i honestly just dont know if i can do it.

another intrest, engineering. engineering is scary because i SUCK at math and id have to take a special physics that, well, i know people that are taking it right now and its so hard. i mean, people that are really good at physics and cant pass these tests. the workload would be insane. im definetly not stupid but i doubt my ability to actually do it. ive never taken any physics so i dont really know how id fare, but to me physics all looks like really fucking hard math problems and as i said before, math isnt exactly my strong point. and i dont know what kind of engineering i would want to do, if i did chemical i could combine my intrest in biology, they have a subcategory of chemical engineering that has to do with genetics. mechanical sounds cool as hell but i dont really know much about it. industrial sounds interesting, but i doubt i could do well in that field.

making big descicions scares me. worst part is ive fucked around for goin on two years now so i need to make up my mind fast like

I don't know one person who graduated in engineering from my small town Canadian Univesrity who isn't making 80 + grand after 5 years in the field.

DO IT DO IT DO IT...do geological engineering, get in the oil industry, retire at 40.

DapperDiverge
03-02-2006, 09:27 PM

i feel ya!! i also have a fascination with engineering and chemistry but i know that i'm not a natural genius at either one... art though comes natural to me so i chose a safe spot... you can take these tests that look at your strengths and weaknesses into what fields you're best suited for... check in your school if they have one... you don't get graded, it's just for your benefit!!

i guess the dean from harvard was right... women ain't no good at them math thingies and science stuff :p

Monsieur Decuts
03-02-2006, 09:27 PM

No problem mon ami...what seems like tough times now will hopefully in 5 years be the foundation for not only a fulfilling relationship but also a rewarding career where you appreciate what you have and where you are.
The struggle makes you strong.

These are the days that you will look back on and say "how the hell did we make it through that" with a big successful grin on your face.

insertnamehere
03-02-2006, 09:28 PM
yeah, engineering = HUGE MONEY

but is it worth it if i hate my job and/or am terrible at it? too bad college costs a ton and i cant just keep going. on the bright side, my first year was CC that i paid for myself, so i woulnd feel bad considering this my freshman year, the only problem is i'll shortly be considered a junior cause of all my hours.

ughhhhh, this subject causes me so much worry. sometimes i almost envy people who have other people make their descisions for them

Monsieur Decuts
03-02-2006, 09:30 PM
yeah, engineering = HUGE MONEY

but is it worth it if i hate my job and/or am terrible at it? too bad college costs a ton and i cant just keep going. on the bright side, my first year was CC that i paid for myself, so i woulnd feel bad considering this my freshman year, the only problem is i'll shortly be considered a junior cause of all my hours.

ughhhhh, this subject causes me so much worry. sometimes i almost envy people who have other people make their descisions for them

i hate to say it, but not everyone can do what the like for a living, at least starting off. Well they can, but they may get paid 15 grand a year and not be able to pay off their debts. I had a degree in Molecular Biology, what could I start off at, jack shit..so I said the internet is making money these days I'll take a graduate degree in programming...and voila. Pimp the job market early on so you can set yourself up for doing what you really want to do in your 30s.

I should have been a guidance counseler, if i could spell it.

insertnamehere
03-02-2006, 09:32 PM
i guess the dean from harvard was right... women ain't no good at them math thingies and science stuff :p

there are plenty of girls here in engineering that seem very good at what they do. really they intimidate the hell out of me.

on the upside, im starting to understand calculus, what the fuck? A spotlight on the ground shines on a wall 12 m away. If a man 2 m tall walks from the spotlight toward the building at a speed of 1.6 m/s, how fast is the length of his shadow on the building decreasing when he is 4 m from the building? --- I answered that, correctly!

zorra_chiflada
03-02-2006, 10:01 PM
i'm in final year now, and majoring in graphic design. it's so much fucking work! and it seems that no-one in my class even wants to do it. (there's only 3 people in the class now, and i'm obviously not doing work)
will it be worth it? prolly not. i'm gonna get a teaching degree and be a high school art teacher. not the best career in the world, but it's something.

DapperDiverge
03-02-2006, 10:13 PM
i think it's definately the teachers that determine whether you want to change majors or not! it's always the teachers!!

cause i swear one asshole can change your perspective on the whole damn thing!! (n)

zorra_chiflada
03-02-2006, 10:21 PM
i think it's definately the teachers that determine whether you want to change majors or not! it's always the teachers!!

cause i swear one asshole can change your perspective on the whole damn thing!! (n)

yeah, it was a teacher that convinced me to do fine arts in the first place. i should have fucking done engineering.

scotty
03-02-2006, 10:26 PM
Well, I havent finished yet but its already paying off because it makes me happy. I love doing what I'm doing. The 99% employment rate from my course and the $50-60 grand first year out is just a bonus.

Rancid_Beasties
03-02-2006, 10:30 PM
My course has an average wage of only $30,000 first year out :(

zorra_chiflada
03-02-2006, 10:33 PM
i don't know what teaching is, but i know it doesn't pay a large amount. it pays ok. what i like about it is that it's not competitive, and you're pretty much guaranteed a job.

beastieangel01
03-02-2006, 10:35 PM
How can you be at school 8am-9:30pm on wednesday if you also work 8am-4pm? I dont get it :(

Also, does 2 days at 13.5 hours per day at school mean you have 27 contact hours? Holy shit! I am doing a double degree in arts and law and I only have 12.5 contact hours. How does that work?

I must have made a mistake or was unclear when writing all that maybe?

I am at school, 8am-930pm Monday and Wednesdays. Then I work Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays, 8am-5pm. Make sense?

and yeah, I'm at school that many hours. For whatever reason, the art classes are just THAT long. Those 3-5 hour art classes are 3 credits, which is the same as a 1 hour 20 minute class I have in Stat (math) class (also 3 credits!). You'd think I'd get more credits due to the hours in that art class, but nope. It's nuts, but that's how it works apparently. It's art though, so I want to do it. When I am actually making the art during class I am happy. It's the whole day slipping by, having to go to bed right when I get home, getting up early, making my self a meal to bring to work, and then working all day the next day, rinse & repeat then add all those other things... that gets to me sometimes because it seems like I can never get a moment to myself.

With the posts earlier today I was AT work and giving myself little breaks. Tonight I am at my parents house using my computer for a moment and picking up my mail. I went to see my little brothers piano recital earlier tonight instead of doing laundry, chores, and homework.

Basically, today I just wanted to cry out about it since I was frustrated, am lacking sleep, have 2 canker sores in my mouth (ow), have a bad headache, and was in traffic for about 3 hours total today and I probably have PMS as well :P

I got an A on my Stat test though. That rocked. And all A's on my Philosophy quizes (1 each week, A everytime). So yeah. I am doing well, but that's because I work hard at it.

I'm going to keep working my ass off, only because I know that there is something I will enjoy doing lying ahead of me.

I talk too much. Bye bye :)

Rancid_Beasties
03-02-2006, 10:47 PM
I feel sorry for you. I feel tired enough working 18 hours and going to uni 12.5 hours (probably in no small part due to going out to clubs and pubs alot). But I suppose if arts is what you love then you just have to get through it. At least your weekends are free, I have to work saturday nights till 11pm (n)

Canker sores = ulcers, right? :(

scotty
03-02-2006, 10:49 PM
i don't know what teaching is, but i know it doesn't pay a large amount. it pays ok. what i like about it is that it's not competitive, and you're pretty much guaranteed a job.

M y little brother got $40,000 in his first year and it went up quite drastically in his first few years of teaching. After that it plateau's out a bit until you've been in the job a while or you start trying get higher positions like assistant principal. Thats in Victoria, though, I don't know how it works in Tas.

My Dad's also a teacher a few years away from retirement. He tells me that if he was to take the vacant vice principals position at his school he would have to take a pay cut. At the moment he's what they call the senior teacher, which is as high as you can go up the ladder and still teach.

beastieangel01
03-02-2006, 10:56 PM
I feel sorry for you. I feel tired enough working 18 hours and going to uni 12.5 hours (probably in no small part due to going out to clubs and pubs alot). But I suppose if arts is what you love then you just have to get through it. At least your weekends are free, I have to work saturday nights till 11pm (n)

Canker sores = ulcers, right? :(

Like I said, C'est La Vie :)

And yeah the weekends are free so I can actually get chores and homework done. I DO make it a point to go out at least once a week though to keep my sanity. And two hours for mindless video games or a movie. Then back to work with me :)

and yeah, canker sores are like ulcers inside the mouth. I get them a lot, I haven't in a long time though, until now, and they just pulse with pain and anything I eat hurts them and it's just, crappy :P I should pour some salt on them to close them up, haha.

Justin
03-02-2006, 11:39 PM
employers look for skills more than they do the degree, (unless its something technical or doctor/dentist/teacher kinda things)

I started to get my masters in teaching, but i realized each state has different requirements. For example, with a masters in social sciences from wvu i could only teach in wv, because that would be the state my license would be in.

I also understand that its easier to be a teacher in New Jersey? True or not true?

I was on the 6 year college plan ( i changed my major 4 times) i ended with an athletic coaching education degree, however i dont apply just for jobs in coaching/teaching sport classes in college (and no not gym).

There is so many little, but big skills you learn as an athletic coaching ed graduate. You learn how to be a leader, coaching, teaching, picking up new skills and teaching them to others, recruiting....there are so many things. I also had 2 internships...1 with the athletic business office and the other with head basketball coach john beilein.........which helps me the most because employers see that i done those internships and that WVU has been successful in basketball so they automatically think that i could bring success to their company.

I always tried to branch off and expand my skills in many other ways

My goal is to never be in a position where i have no chance in going up the ladder.

Justin
03-02-2006, 11:43 PM
I also started to get my MBA and yea it wouldnt hurt, but just from the jobs i look at, the MBA just isnt enough. Its like one of those: 3-5 years of exp or MBA and 1-2 years of exp. kind of thing.

Also another thing to remember is to make sure you put yourself in a location where you have the opportunity to be successful.

Thank God i done that.

Jmoney77
03-03-2006, 12:06 AM
no

zorra_chiflada
03-03-2006, 12:26 AM
I also understand that its easier to be a teacher in New Jersey? True or not true?

my mother got her teaching degree in new jersey, and she actually said the opposite - it's the hardest state in the US to get a teaching degree :confused:

Anne Lauren
03-03-2006, 12:27 AM
it probably depends on what you're majoring in. like if you're majoring in philosophy (like i almost am!) then it's probably not worth the trouble because careerwise, there's not much demand for philosophers. and if you're just interested in the subject, you'd probably just be fine reading books and such on your own time, since that's pretty much all i do in philosophy classes. getting a degree probably isn't dreadfully worth it unless you plan to go onto grad school.

but if you're majoring in something more technical, like computers or engineering or i don't know, then yeah, it's probably worth it, employers would want to look for people with a degree.

i'm not much help though, i haven't graduated yet (nor have i worked very hard...yet)

edit: i'm studying for an exam now and i'm learning more from wikipedia in 5 minutes than i did in a 50 minute lecture :(

Oh my God, Bob...you seriously could not be more right! I got my undergrad. in psychology...which is basically a waste of tuition money and years of studying, for no damn good reason. The jobs that paid fairly decently that might have required a 4 year degree to get...had nothing to do with what I had gone to school for, which obviously I did because that's what I was interested in doing with my life. So, I had to go back...again, and spend a little over three more years of my life (didn't go full time because I also had a full time job) and pay some more tuition money...to get my masters. And even now, I'm not even really doing what I had specifically gone to school for (it involves basically the same line of work, which is law, but I'm not actually doing what I had gone back to school for) However, it is work experience... and, for the most part, that's just as, if not more important than schooling.

CJM
03-03-2006, 06:26 PM
i got a letter back today from the university i applied for (i've been adventuring around for a couple years), and got accepted. i applied for civil engineering back in high school and got accepted, but just wasn't feeling going back into the grind, so i took some time off. i've been thinking of what i want to do snce then, and factored in what i'm like, and such, and ended up choosing to take mechanical engineering. i love structures, but mechanics and energy interest me, too. mechanical engineering is completely different then civil, but it is a lot broader in the fields and jobs you can do with it. the first year is pretty much the same as civil, so i can always go back. i'm planning on doing co-op, which adds up to 5 years of school, but i have had a lot of fun to make up for what i'm gonna miss.

if all else fails, and i can't stand school, i'll just move out west and become a snowboard bum.