PDA

View Full Version : SNL or Mad TV??

DapperDiverge
03-02-2006, 11:00 PM
don't know if this thread has been done before but recently i've been switching to mad tv cuz SNL has kinda lost the flavor... the show's 30 years old!! it's like the writers are running outta material... if they need a comedy writer they should definately give me a call!!
I'm working on this script of these two ladies i saw at a store talking about hushpuppies... as i eavesdropped, i found the conversation hilarious!!

sure comedy comes from real life but not just anyone can write about it... it takes a pinch of imagination, 2 tablespoons of writing know how and a whole lotta guts!! ;)

Jmoney77
03-02-2006, 11:05 PM
Tuff one but i would have to go with SNL

TurdBerglar
03-02-2006, 11:13 PM
mad tv gives me a headache

Medellia
03-02-2006, 11:17 PM
SNL can always hire better writers. MadTV will always be the pile of shit that tries (and fails) to be the new SNL.

TurdBerglar
03-02-2006, 11:18 PM
snl has been pretty bad for like ten years now, though

Bob
03-02-2006, 11:21 PM
they both suck

Medellia
03-02-2006, 11:25 PM
snl has been pretty bad for like ten years now, though
For the most part yeah, although occasionally there will be a decent episode. At least it was good at some point. And they still sometimes have good musical guests. MadTV has always sucked. And always will.

CrankItUp!
03-02-2006, 11:30 PM
What about Kids In The Hall ? Remember the " I'm crushing your head !!!" skit ??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJbQ4-HFrgU&search=kids%20in%20the%20hall fucking hillarious!!!

DandyFop
03-02-2006, 11:31 PM
they both suck

What he said.

I liked MAD TV in the first two years.

DandyFop
03-02-2006, 11:31 PM
Kids in the Hall is fantastic.

Mr. Show trumps all sketch shows in my opinion.

Obviously SNL has gone through good phases and bad...most of the time they have great performers dealing with bad writing.

Medellia
03-02-2006, 11:33 PM
What about Kids In The Hall ? Remember the " I'm crushing your head !!!" skit ??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJbQ4-HFrgU&search=kids%20in%20the%20hall fucking hillarious!!!
Yeah, Kids in the Hall kicked ass. "Never put salt in your eye."

In Living Colour was good, too.

Medellia
03-02-2006, 11:36 PM
Obviously SNL has gone through good phases and bad...most of the time they have great performers dealing with bad writing.
Yes! I saw some old SNLs a few years ago. It was the original cast that everyone goes gaga over, and I was embarassed at just how bad some of the sketches were. I guess people just don't want to admit that a Gilda Radner or John Belushi sketch could totally blow.

PS-I <3 Gilda.

DandyFop
03-02-2006, 11:37 PM
Haha, you're right though! It's like "ahh the good old days" and then you watch it and you're like, wow some of this is COMPLETE shit.

The problem with SNL is their skits are way too long most of the time. The joke always gets overplayed.

Amy Poehler <3

Medellia
03-02-2006, 11:43 PM
Haha, you're right though! It's like "ahh the good old days" and then you watch it and you're like, wow some of this is COMPLETE shit.
Yeah, and a lot of the seasons that everyone says are so horrible aren't as bad when you look back on them. Even if they do still kinda suck. They just don't suck as much as you remember. :/

CrankItUp!
03-02-2006, 11:46 PM
Yeah, Kids in the Hall kicked ass. "Never put salt in your eye."

In Living Colour was good, too.

Ladies and Gentlemen,

I present to you :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sz5neQvHXF0&search=jamie%20foxx Wanda :D

Jmoney77
03-03-2006, 12:05 AM
Ladies and Gentlemen,

I present to you :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sz5neQvHXF0&search=jamie%20foxx Wanda :D

Classic

beastiegirrl101
03-03-2006, 02:09 PM
You Can't Do That on Television

Best variety show ever.

(if we're talking about The Kids in the Hall, the Chicken lady skit was the best)

BangkokB
03-03-2006, 02:10 PM
Scroll down to say Tina Fey!

Feminist...It's not working out too well for her

Make anthter Mean Girls films. Then slowly fade away. Todd Phillips is your Golden Calf you slaughtered. Grrl Pwr

hardnox71
03-03-2006, 02:16 PM
I liked MAD TV in the first two years.
Exactly. I might even venture to include the third season but not too much more than that.

I haven't liked SNL since I was in highschool. I remember when people used to actually stop what they were doing to get to a TV on Saturday night. That was when John Belushi and Dan Akroyd and Eddie Murphy were still the kings of late night comedy. Oh, the good ol' days.

DapperDiverge
03-03-2006, 03:01 PM
bobby lee on mad tv just wins me over... he's an average asian!!! LOL!!

how 'bout we gets together up in my de woo, wha what?? :D

adam_f
03-03-2006, 03:16 PM
Wookin pa nub in all da won paces, wookin pa nub.

Monsieur Decuts
03-03-2006, 03:38 PM
bobby lee on mad tv just wins me over... he's an average asian!!! LOL!!

how 'bout we gets together up in my de woo, wha what?? :D

haha that one character of his "Tank" very funny.

SNL though..hands down

Matt
03-03-2006, 03:43 PM
The problem with SNL is their skits are way too long most of the time. The joke always gets overplayed.

I totally agree with that. one thing MadTV has going for it is at least they know when to end a joke. I saw one sketch with a husband and wife arriving home, arguing about the wife wanting an abortion. they get inside, still arguing, saying each wants a divorce. they flip on the lights, and their friends are throwing a suprise anniversary party for them. Awkward moment, then the sketch ends. SNL would have dragged that out for at least five minutes more.

DIGI
03-03-2006, 03:47 PM
Kids in the Hall is fantastic.

Mr. Show trumps all sketch shows in my opinion.

BABY, BAAAABY!!!

kleptomaniac
03-03-2006, 07:00 PM
the answer's simple: SATURDAY NIGHT LIVE (!)

i don't watch it as much anymore, since it's lost most of it's zeal, but c'mon anything's better than Mad TV. i tried watching it once, i almost died of boredom...

snl's best cast was like the late 80's, early 90's stuff. (dana carvey, i love him!)
we need to get that back. :rolleyes:

hpdrifter
03-03-2006, 07:02 PM
That lady that does Whitney Houston on MadTV is hella funny, though.

She does Whitney so perfectly.

ggirlballa
03-03-2006, 07:07 PM
hhhm i watch SNL instead of MadT.V idk why?

Mad T.V has a vibe about it and it was better before when that girl who impressions of Oprah was still in the cast.

SNL is cool i luv amy poehler and tina fey and that new guy adam ???

but SNL definately has lost it's vibe it was better in the 90's like around adam sandler, chris farley, david spade, era

Sarky Devotchka
03-03-2006, 07:22 PM
neither of them are very good, but every now and again, something will make me laugh really hard on either show. I like these boys. (http://www.dailyceleb.com/thumbs/tn.DC.170832.jpg)

Maisailana
03-03-2006, 10:14 PM
neither of them are very good, but every now and again, something will make me laugh really hard on either show.
i was just going to reply with someting similar. neither sucks, but both lack consistency.

Medellia
03-03-2006, 11:08 PM
In the time I've been watching, SNL has never had flavor. MadTV is just a lot wittier and funnier and the actors are better. I am not feeling SNL at all...it seems like it's just some recycled middle school comedy play.

P.S. As Stuart would say "doooooooooon't"
MadTV...witty? Are we talking about the same MadTV?

DapperDiverge
03-04-2006, 06:53 PM
That lady that does Whitney Houston on MadTV is hella funny, though.

She does Whitney so perfectly.

hhhm i watch SNL instead of MadT.V idk why?

Mad T.V has a vibe about it and it was better before when that girl who impressions of Oprah was still in the cast

you guys talking about Debra Wilson... I love her on those sierra mist commercials nowadays

Hiebz
03-05-2006, 10:03 AM
I liked SNL for the longest time (90's, church-chat, chris farley, adam sandler, dana carvey, david spade, mike myers - there's a reason, beyond good marketing, that they are household names); however, in 2000 or so, I found myself changing more often to MAD T.V. (although not for a long time). Several Stuart skits are priceless, as well as some others. Debra Wilson, Michael McDonald, and Nicole Sullivan I feel are just as talented and funny of some of the others that made it big on SNL.

at times MAD (era 2000) was as good as, if not better, then SNL (era 2000), but never better than the classic SNL. But SNL has a history and tons more skits that will rest in the public concious for quite a while.

When I was in england for study abroad for 3 months with 24 other US students, I do recall that SNL episodes were a good bonding/nestolga/conversation point for us.