PDA

View Full Version : Who's the 4th Beastie Boy?

Kid Presentable
03-16-2006, 11:01 PM
Clearly Kate Schellenbach became the first 'Fourth Beastie' in hindsight, and Hurra spent a good amount of time in that capacity on tour. But who do you really consider the 4th Beastie?

Mixmaster? For sure. His sound is what completes the modern Beastie Boys, and on their albums his contributions have been invaluable. So by the same token, DJ E.Z Mike would have been the 4th Beastie on PB, like RR was on LTI. Or something. It probably wasn't RR on LTI, right? Maybe MMM is more like an instrument than a contributor, though.

Money Mark was 4th Beastie for a the CYH era, obviously, but then it sorta moved over to Bobo. He was kinda the new best friend, with congas winding up all over their live shows in 94.

Fredo and Amery never seemed to be in that mould, they were more like good buddies who tagged along and got a decent gig out of it.

If you ask me, the real 4th Beastie is Mario C. I think they need Mario's input/collaborative energy once more. His involvement, from engineering PB to stepping up for the next three albums, is what I feel may be the coolest thing they could do for a new album. No Dust Brothers or Rick Rubin collabs (that probably wouldn't work second time around, anyways), but instead the guidance of a good friend, and a sonic genius; my nomination for the 4th Beastie.

@water
03-17-2006, 01:53 AM
Well these days the "live setup" of the Beastie Boys really is a four-member group.
While on tour MMM is as much part of the band as Mike and the Adams.

benchillin
03-17-2006, 02:14 AM
no way kate is:

Justin
03-17-2006, 02:29 AM
russell simmons

laurie_hammy
03-17-2006, 09:20 AM
Mix Master Mike

boo boo chi boo, boo boo boo chi boo,
boo boo chi boo boo boo CAUSE NOBODY !

Laver1969
03-17-2006, 11:28 AM
You can't forget about Ricky Powell...he was considered the 4th for a while.

Kid Presentable
03-17-2006, 11:33 AM
True, true.

jackrock
03-17-2006, 12:12 PM
At the moment i think it's MMM... he is on stage with them.

Bobtwi
03-17-2006, 06:51 PM
It's a cool assed brotha by the name BOBTWI.Shh dont let it get out.

Rich Cheney
03-17-2006, 09:19 PM
Money Mark.

Weezman
03-17-2006, 11:34 PM
I thought it was SASHQUASH!!?? :cool:

Justin
03-18-2006, 03:59 AM
I applied for the position, even sent in my job references, but have heard nothing.

Maybe I forgot to sign the "agree by terms" contract:rolleyes:

saml
03-18-2006, 04:39 AM
who's the fifth?

stoffel79
03-18-2006, 05:09 AM
who's the fifth?
Billy Joel

LE BROUHAHA
03-18-2006, 07:04 AM
who's the fifth?
:confused:

:eek:

:p

ME

cj hood
03-18-2006, 07:59 AM
ricky's the 4th.......mark's the 9th........who's 5 to 8???

Kid Presentable
03-18-2006, 11:19 AM
ricky's the 4th.......mark's the 9th........who's 5 to 8???
O.K, well Mario is definitely the 5th in that case.

dust monkey
03-18-2006, 11:00 PM
Billy Joel of course!

Weezman
03-19-2006, 10:22 PM
Billy Joel of course!

Big Shot meets Sure Shot.
Uptown Girl meets Nettys Girl
Piano Man meets Eggman
She's always a woman meets She's crafty
Captian Jack meets Paul Revere
New York State of Mind meets Open Letter to New York
Pressure meets Electirfy
The innocent man meets Heart-attack man........or Weezman!! (y)

discopants
03-20-2006, 03:51 AM
1970's James Brown is. All we need is a time machine...

laurie_hammy
03-20-2006, 06:28 AM
Billy Joel of course!

The best avatar I have seen. Well done. Superman (!)

chickinwhite
03-20-2006, 04:27 PM
was Spike Jonze ever considerd as the 4th beastie back during the sabatoge video?:rolleyes:

kleptomaniac
03-20-2006, 04:33 PM
hornblower, eh?

i've got a thing for hornblower nowadays i think... :o

but i'd say mix master mike, they're like the fantastic four or something, y'know?

laurie_hammy
03-23-2006, 04:56 PM
hornblower, eh?

but i'd say mix master mike, they're like the fantastic four or something, y'know?

A thing for Hornblower lol.

Cecil Sunbeam
03-23-2006, 06:40 PM
Mix Master Mike.

The Beastie Boys don't perform without him.

laurie_hammy
03-24-2006, 08:56 AM
Mix Master Mike.

The Beastie Boys don't perform without him.

Word

camo
03-24-2006, 10:08 AM
They've always maintained that 'Billy Joel' is the 4th (or 5th beastie).

)see interviews circa hello nasty era)

joon
03-24-2006, 01:00 PM
No offense, but Kate Schellenbach is one of the original BBoys, ahem making Adam Horovitz the 4th or 5th maybe. She was in the band with MCA and Mike D, while ADrock was in the Young and the Useless, with him joining later. Sorry but that is a fist full of Truth.

skept-a-cleptic
03-24-2006, 10:51 PM
Seriously, Billy Joel is the 5th Beastie. Mike D said it:

BILLY JOEL:

He DID Start The Fire, And If He Didn't, Then Who The Hell Did

by Mike D

Billy Joel. Consumate Entertainer. Piano man. Formerly happily married to Christie and author of so many fireside classics like the one that goes, "You're still having fun/And you're still the one" (a personal favorite of mine which I enjoy shouting in the shower). But most importantly: The 5th B-Boy. Now before we get into defining exactly what we mean by "The 5th B-Boy," we should probably answer another question that's been asked many times and which should have already occured to you by now -- like namely: "Who in the hell is The 4th B-Boy?" Strictly in terms of seniority it would have to be DJ Hurricane, the man who's given us full clout and plenty of elbow room on the wheels of steel since replacing Yo, MTV Rap's Dr. Dre in 1986. Next in line is probably Ricky Powell, who, according to Bob Mack's 1991 Spin cover story, is deserving of the title because he allegedly embodies certain aspects of the B-Boy ethos (intoxicated athletics, easy snappin', etc.). Then again there's long time engineer and super-producer Mario C., who has kept it real at the mixing desk both in the studio and live in concert for more than enough time to merit serious consideration. And last, but certainly not least, we've been blessed with the limitless talents of Keyboard Money Mark Nishita, songwriting partner, master carpenter, on-stage performer, on-court point guard and, most recently, solo artist and father of a new baby boy, Nico. Each of these colleagues are key players on a squad that's rounded out by pedigreed Puerto Rican percussionist Eric Bobo and pedigreed punk rock percussionist/drum tech Amery Smith (AKA AWOL), both of whom are relative newcomers to our particular fold but who are by no means wet behind the ears. So for all intents and purposes it's best to think of this squad, our touring band (including luggage lugger-arounder and mascot) Ricky Powell, as one big 4th B-Boy.

OK, but back to: why Billy Joel? And why is he, of all people, The 5th b-boy? Because the Biz sings his songs? Because he's the same size as Charlotte Hornets point guard Mugsey Bogues, A Tribe Called Quest's Phife Dog and five foot folkie Paul Simon (whose songs the Biz also sings)? Because he and Elton John did the "Piano Men" tour which his Royal Highness The Biz Mark called "the most awesome tour ever"? Or is it what the Dean of Rock Criticism Robert Christgau called "his knack for the tearjerker"? He doesn't really have any beats or funky breaks, or dance steps for that matter. I mean, even Bette Midler has a beat. So what makes Billy Joel worthy of mention? In these instances it's good to consult an enlightened mind, and we consulted no less than Les McCann himself. In reference to his heartfelt cover of Billy's classic tune, "Just The Way You Are," Les once said that "the first moment I heard Billy Joel singing this song, I knew I had to do it. After doing our different versions in the studio, our producer said 'let's take it on downtown." Thanks, Les, for pointing out the mobility, both upward and downward, of such a fine Billy Joel composition, but there are plenty of other reasons for giving Mr. Joel this somewhat dubious distinction. Speaking geographically, Billy is from Strong Island, and he sings about it. Socially, he was married to a supermodel (and thus must have hung in that scene for a while, not unlike rap mogul Russell Simmons). And just like Russel, come summertime you can catch Billy at his Mackin' pad in the Hamptons. On the other hand, Billy also takes great pains and goes to great lengths to, if not keep it real, then at least give us the real deal. After all, he did give props to Allentown in that one song and the fishermen in that other, plus he had that record cover where he displayed his rebelliousness by throwing a brick trough that window in his Neil Schon kind of stylo de pelo, long before the Wu-Tang Clan were on the case. By the way, my boy the Old Dirty Bastard even tries to sing a little like old B.J., but you know what? Fuck that. I'm sick of trying to justify Billy Joel because ultimately I've got no real rhyme or reason as to why we're giving Billy all these mad props. It's just that his whole thing about "we didn't start the fire" is so stoopid that we figured he would be the perfect image for the cover of this 'zine. We were even going to call this tour the "Billy Joel Tour," but that idea got shot down because then we would've had to explain ourselves to Billy and not just you. So lets just take a moment of silence and give up a crazy shout out to the 5th B Boy, Billy Motherfucking Joel. He didn't start the fire, but he got on the mic, I mean wrench, and was sporting the Dickies coveralls in that "Uptown Girl" video (not to mention Tretorn tennis sneakers on that one record cover). So give it up.

This should be in the FAQ or something.

laurie_hammy
03-24-2006, 11:18 PM
Im the 4th Beastie

joon
03-25-2006, 03:20 PM
I'm the 4th laurie_hammy.:cool:

camo
03-27-2006, 02:23 AM
Seriously, Billy Joel is the 5th Beastie. Mike D said it:

BILLY JOEL:

He DID Start The Fire, And If He Didn't, Then Who The Hell Did

by Mike D

Billy Joel. Consumate Entertainer. Piano man. Formerly happily married to Christie and author of so many fireside classics like the one that goes, "You're still having fun/And you're still the one" (a personal favorite of mine which I enjoy shouting in the shower). But most importantly: The 5th B-Boy. Now before we get into defining exactly what we mean by "The 5th B-Boy," we should probably answer another question that's been asked many times and which should have already occured to you by now -- like namely: "Who in the hell is The 4th B-Boy?" Strictly in terms of seniority it would have to be DJ Hurricane, the man who's given us full clout and plenty of elbow room on the wheels of steel since replacing Yo, MTV Rap's Dr. Dre in 1986. Next in line is probably Ricky Powell, who, according to Bob Mack's 1991 Spin cover story, is deserving of the title because he allegedly embodies certain aspects of the B-Boy ethos (intoxicated athletics, easy snappin', etc.). Then again there's long time engineer and super-producer Mario C., who has kept it real at the mixing desk both in the studio and live in concert for more than enough time to merit serious consideration. And last, but certainly not least, we've been blessed with the limitless talents of Keyboard Money Mark Nishita, songwriting partner, master carpenter, on-stage performer, on-court point guard and, most recently, solo artist and father of a new baby boy, Nico. Each of these colleagues are key players on a squad that's rounded out by pedigreed Puerto Rican percussionist Eric Bobo and pedigreed punk rock percussionist/drum tech Amery Smith (AKA AWOL), both of whom are relative newcomers to our particular fold but who are by no means wet behind the ears. So for all intents and purposes it's best to think of this squad, our touring band (including luggage lugger-arounder and mascot) Ricky Powell, as one big 4th B-Boy.

OK, but back to: why Billy Joel? And why is he, of all people, The 5th b-boy? Because the Biz sings his songs? Because he's the same size as Charlotte Hornets point guard Mugsey Bogues, A Tribe Called Quest's Phife Dog and five foot folkie Paul Simon (whose songs the Biz also sings)? Because he and Elton John did the "Piano Men" tour which his Royal Highness The Biz Mark called "the most awesome tour ever"? Or is it what the Dean of Rock Criticism Robert Christgau called "his knack for the tearjerker"? He doesn't really have any beats or funky breaks, or dance steps for that matter. I mean, even Bette Midler has a beat. So what makes Billy Joel worthy of mention? In these instances it's good to consult an enlightened mind, and we consulted no less than Les McCann himself. In reference to his heartfelt cover of Billy's classic tune, "Just The Way You Are," Les once said that "the first moment I heard Billy Joel singing this song, I knew I had to do it. After doing our different versions in the studio, our producer said 'let's take it on downtown." Thanks, Les, for pointing out the mobility, both upward and downward, of such a fine Billy Joel composition, but there are plenty of other reasons for giving Mr. Joel this somewhat dubious distinction. Speaking geographically, Billy is from Strong Island, and he sings about it. Socially, he was married to a supermodel (and thus must have hung in that scene for a while, not unlike rap mogul Russell Simmons). And just like Russel, come summertime you can catch Billy at his Mackin' pad in the Hamptons. On the other hand, Billy also takes great pains and goes to great lengths to, if not keep it real, then at least give us the real deal. After all, he did give props to Allentown in that one song and the fishermen in that other, plus he had that record cover where he displayed his rebelliousness by throwing a brick trough that window in his Neil Schon kind of stylo de pelo, long before the Wu-Tang Clan were on the case. By the way, my boy the Old Dirty Bastard even tries to sing a little like old B.J., but you know what? Fuck that. I'm sick of trying to justify Billy Joel because ultimately I've got no real rhyme or reason as to why we're giving Billy all these mad props. It's just that his whole thing about "we didn't start the fire" is so stoopid that we figured he would be the perfect image for the cover of this 'zine. We were even going to call this tour the "Billy Joel Tour," but that idea got shot down because then we would've had to explain ourselves to Billy and not just you. So lets just take a moment of silence and give up a crazy shout out to the 5th B Boy, Billy Motherfucking Joel. He didn't start the fire, but he got on the mic, I mean wrench, and was sporting the Dickies coveralls in that "Uptown Girl" video (not to mention Tretorn tennis sneakers on that one record cover). So give it up.

This should be in the FAQ or something.

well done, I could'nt find an interview anywhere about this, but I knew it existed

SpacemanSpliff
07-18-2007, 05:22 PM
digging out old thread ...

my opinion 2007:
4th money mark
5th alfredo
6th mixmaster mike

gorilla
07-18-2007, 09:18 PM
UNEQUIVICOLLAY - MONEY MARK

Cheeky1025
07-19-2007, 02:08 AM
depending which decade or album: Kate, Mike, Mark????

djB
07-19-2007, 02:13 AM
No love for Hurricane?
He D.J'd for them for 10 years..

TAFKASB
07-19-2007, 05:05 AM
It depends really....there are only 3 true Beastie Boys for sure...but these days you can thrown in MMM as the 4th...Money Mark as the 5th, and Alfredo as the 6th...they all contribute in one way or another. I guess the real answers lie with the boys themselves, who they consider full timers or part timers.

Rav
07-19-2007, 01:11 PM
Tied with Money Mark, Mix Master Mike, and Mario C.

sugar free
07-21-2007, 10:38 AM
dj hurricane!

samaantheman
07-22-2007, 01:38 AM
I always thought Bob Dylan was the fourth Beastie Boy.

i heard he wrote Fight For You Right and was originally going to release it as a single but the beastie boys held him at gun point and stole the lyrics and music for the song.

banzai
07-23-2007, 09:04 PM
soylent green is the 4th Beastie Boy.

BBboy20
07-27-2007, 05:16 AM
I always rather consider Money, MMM, and[SIZE=2] Alfredo Ortiz as Beastie Boys themselves even so "officially" MMM is considered to be the 4th member. I mean, despite how we all crave these 4 guys, ever noticed like in IC's booklet (Or basically the back side) they also feature other people invovled in making the album. I like that, in way, that despite being named after the group, the way they present some of the stuff is like it's one giant project these people are undertaking which is a rare case in mainstream music.

Lollapalooza
07-27-2007, 05:42 AM
Mony mark number 4 ..... ia awol bu he is out

Number 4 was Dj huriicane but he is out since 97

can be Mix master mike or Money mark

paul jones
07-27-2007, 05:47 AM
Country Mike

SpacemanSpliff
07-27-2007, 06:49 AM
4th) Nathanial Hörnblowér blowing the alphorn.

djB
07-27-2007, 07:07 AM
After becoming the 14th Dalai Lama, Tenzin Gyatso was also known in Tibet as the 4th Beastie Boy. Fact.
I can see him now with the VW chain and baseball cap...

de-nice
07-27-2007, 11:05 PM
I think it's Marky Mark...ahem...I mean....

just joking;)

Cheeky1025
08-05-2007, 01:42 AM

I had a chance to meet Ricky Powell in Portland August 5th and I asked him how he got the title of the 4th Beastie Boy. He kindly replied with with story dated back in the 80's... a reporter named Ricky the 4th because he was on tour with the Beastie Boys documenting the tour with Run DMC and he looked like one of the boys.

Ricky Powell in Portland (http://www.flickr.com/photos/cheek1025/sets/72157601226974068/detail/)

Kid Presentable
08-05-2007, 04:05 AM
When I see an old thread of mine, I realise what a pompous shit I am. Sorry all.

Cheeky1025
08-05-2007, 11:59 AM
When I see an old thread of mine, I realise what a pompous shit I am. Sorry all.

You know what? It's fun to start a discussion. Yeah it's an old thread but I didn't want to start a new one on the same subject...It was fun to bring up the topic again.

IT'S ALL GOOD..... you're not a shit.

faz
08-05-2007, 07:10 PM
Money mark claims its ad-rock (http://youtube.com/watch?v=repxxk4BRJs).

KingOfPop
08-05-2007, 07:21 PM
Who's the 4th Beastie Boy you ask?

Me...

kleptomaniac
08-05-2007, 07:52 PM

and i still do! :eek:(y)(y)

gordonjr
05-17-2012, 07:45 AM
Must be a rotating 4th Beastie Boy. Kate, Hurra, Mario C, fucking Dante,Money Mark, Dave Letterman, Condoleezza Rice, Dave Raghetti, Dr. Nick, Mr.Miagi, Cannonball Splash, Paul Bunion, etceteraetcetera so on and so fourth. His Holinessthe Dali Lama is the 6th

gordonjr
05-17-2012, 07:55 AM
That Grand Royal piece isn't definitive proof enough, here's a link to AdRock confirming in an interview with American Songwriter that yes Billy Joel is official the 5th Beastie http://www.americansongwriter.com/2009/07/the-beastie-boys-big-up-bob-dylan-billy-joel/

Bob Dylan a close second

Space
05-17-2012, 03:15 PM
with Adam Yauch being #1 of course.

Uru-Nitro
05-17-2012, 06:12 PM
I think MMM's contribution to the band is very underrated. if you check live shows pre-98 and post-98 you will find a huge difference. he/they changed the role of a dj. all rappers offer a break of 5 minutes to show the skills of their djs scratching with the nose, but the beasties took the djing to another level. the intro for gratitude hand-to-hand with MCA, the Apache break for root down, those crazy show-openings warming the audience, the masterpiece track of hiphop "3mcs and 1dj", played live again and again...

the tragedy of MCA affected him so much. I think Adam was his "best-friend" of the group. after all he introduced himself to Yauch before joining the beasties (adam says in the anthology book), and that phone message before 3mcsand1dj is for yauch as well.

and Im pretty sure Adrock replied in an interview "MMM is the 4th beastie boy", so that's all.

LuciferHam
05-18-2012, 01:06 AM
Money Mark IMO

DJ_Skrilla
05-18-2012, 01:59 AM

cosign

benchillin
05-18-2012, 08:07 PM
I think MMM's contribution to the band is very underrated.
and Im pretty sure Adrock replied in an interview "MMM is the 4th beastie boy", so that's all.

when i watched the chappelle show i saw the 4 i loved the most.

gordonjr
06-04-2012, 05:38 PM
Ricky Powell "the Man Pussy Forgot" LMAO

JoLovesMCA
06-04-2012, 06:07 PM
I think MMM's contribution to the band is very underrated. if you check live shows pre-98 and post-98 you will find a huge difference. he/they changed the role of a dj. all rappers offer a break of 5 minutes to show the skills of their djs scratching with the nose, but the beasties took the djing to another level. the intro for gratitude hand-to-hand with MCA, the Apache break for root down, those crazy show-openings warming the audience, the masterpiece track of hiphop "3mcs and 1dj", played live again and again...

the tragedy of MCA affected him so much. I think Adam was his "best-friend" of the group. after all he introduced himself to Yauch before joining the beasties (adam says in the anthology book), and that phone message before 3mcsand1dj is for yauch as well.

(y)

Hell yeah. Adrock said that in an interview just about a year ago when he was on that DJ show in NYC. The one they go way back with... Can't think of the name of it, but they asked him who was the fourth Beastie Boy and Adrock said Mix Master Mike.

Mix Master made me so damn sad with his tweets. One after another about how much he loved Adam and missed him. ugh..... He was torn to pieces. :(

He also put Adam's photo as apart of his layout with "in loving memory of my brother" :/

Randetica
06-04-2012, 06:25 PM

haha

i dunno, that question was never important to me

Brass Monk
06-05-2012, 02:06 PM
I had a chance to meet Ricky Powell in Portland August 5th and I asked him how he got the title of the 4th Beastie Boy. He kindly replied with with story dated back in the 80's... a reporter named Ricky the 4th because he was on tour with the Beastie Boys documenting the tour with Run DMC and he looked like one of the boys.

Ricky Powell in Portland (http://www.flickr.com/photos/cheek1025/sets/72157601226974068/detail/)

I think if u have to name 1 person as the 4th Beastie, it's Ricky.

Another interpretation is that everyone named here, including all the fans, are the collective 4th Beastie

Bernard Goetz
06-05-2012, 02:47 PM
If this was 1992 Ricky would be the 4th Beastie no question.

JoLovesMCA
06-05-2012, 02:52 PM

(y) He'll never be a fourth Beastie.

Brass Monk
06-05-2012, 03:24 PM
(y) He'll never be a fourth Beastie.

Why? I don't get it.

Bernard Goetz
06-05-2012, 06:18 PM
All Ricky's had to say about the Beasties for the past decade is negative shit.
EDIT: until Yauch passed. Now he's giving Yauch his due.

JoLovesMCA
06-05-2012, 06:50 PM
All Ricky's had to say about the Beasties for the past decade is negative shit.
EDIT: until Yauch passed. Now he's giving Yauch his due.

(y)

abbott
06-06-2012, 05:26 PM
Home boy throw in the towl...

pshabi
06-07-2012, 06:53 AM
If this was 1992 Ricky would be the 4th Beastie no question.

Yeah, but as stated Ricky has been a bitter twit for a while now. He has fallen back on that since yauch passed but he is in not even close to #4 now (as if I am an authority lol).

But to be honest, it's MMM and it's not even close. Dude transformed this band!

Bernard Goetz
06-07-2012, 07:03 AM
Yeah, but as stated Ricky has been a bitter twit for a while now. He has fallen back on that since yauch passed

Yeah, as I stated. :D

pshabi
06-07-2012, 07:16 AM
Yeah, as I stated. :D

I thought credit was implied seeing as how it was 3 FUCKING POSTS UP FROM MINE!!!!!
:D:p:cool:

Bernard Goetz
06-07-2012, 07:38 AM
Peeeeeace.

DJ Pioneer
06-07-2012, 08:15 AM
I thought Dave Scilken was the 4th? May as well throw his name in the mix.

llasaApso
06-09-2012, 04:41 PM
Inspector Clouseau is the 4th Beastie Boy.