PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else?

NiceJerk
03-20-2006, 04:39 AM
Anyone else do this: I was 15 years old when I first heard the beastie boys, in 1985 or near that time. I am 32 years old now. I mostly admire Frank Sinatra, Motzart, Van Halen. I think those three are pure genius. Frank... incredible... Motzart... amazing... Eddie Van Halen... incredible guitar player.

But I also mostly listen to the Beastie Boys. They are just plain cool, from what I can tell. Like if I met anyone of them on the street and thanked them or asked for an autograph, I don't think they'd get mad at me for harrassing them.

Now I'm trying to steer my awesome 11 and 12 year old nephews to some Beastie Boys music. Their mom, my sister, wants to know if the BB's believe in God. I know MCA does. I've seen older BB's degrading women a bit, but now are the BB's considered an acceptable role model for children?

zorra_chiflada
03-20-2006, 06:08 AM
i suppose they're a good role model.
however, seeing them appear in magazines such as "maxim" i do wonder if they're serious about the whole respecting women thing.

vickista
03-20-2006, 06:08 AM
i think there ok role models, i mean the shit with disrespecting women was wen they wer young and stupid, they dnt feel that way now and they've said it countless times, and besides wat about there free tibet stuff and all that, u wld think that a good role model wld do that kinda stuff.

laurie_hammy
03-20-2006, 06:30 AM
I think Beastie's are good role models. They just be themself. Thats all that matters. (y)

vickista
03-20-2006, 06:47 AM
I think Beastie's are good role models. They just be themself. Thats all that matters. (y)

well said

discopants
03-20-2006, 07:53 AM

They do what they want to the way they want to:

"Be true to yourself and you will never fall"

YoungRemy
03-20-2006, 09:28 AM
I still have to hear this artist Motzart, I heard his new album is produced by Kanye West...

Jmoney77
03-20-2006, 01:49 PM
Agreed

dirtydan11
03-20-2006, 04:00 PM
ummm... if they want to know if the beastie boys believe in God they might be asking if they are part of some christian front or something. are the family bible thumpers or what? because they might be offended of the open minded lines in some songs. like pro choice might be construed as not believing in God, or saying homophobics aint all right, or being anti bush, you know what i mean? No offence to any religeous people out there, but these statements in my mind are very good messages for kids.. they don't preach, they will just say fuck the kkk in the middle of a song and stuff like that.. i would say overall they are very positive lyrically. the only arguments could be some stuff they did like over 16 years ago, and its not nearly as bad as alot of stuff out at that time.
My advice: get those kids listening to some BEASTIE BOYS, ASAP

b-grrrlie
03-20-2006, 04:28 PM
Anyone else do this: I was 15 years old when I first heard the beastie boys, in 1985 or near that time. I am 32 years old now. I mostly admire Frank Sinatra, Motzart, Van Halen. I think those three are pure genius. Frank... incredible... Motzart... amazing... Eddie Van Halen... incredible guitar player.

If it's Mozart you mean you should learn to spell his name right...

sab0tage
03-20-2006, 04:35 PM
I'd say they're great role models. They've learned from their mistakes and made apologies for negative things they've said in their youth. Making mistakes is all part of growing up and they dealt with it well, especially being under constant media scrutiny. They support worthwhile causes and don't buy into the whole "I've got fuckin loads of money - love me" thing.
Peace:)

Jmoney77
03-20-2006, 04:37 PM
I would try to dress them like the Beastie Boys, they have so much style

kleptomaniac
03-20-2006, 04:38 PM
my parents don't think the beastie boys are a bad influence on me, but
they say their message board is! :p

laurie_hammy
03-23-2006, 04:58 PM
my parents don't think the beastie boys are a bad influence on me, but
they say their message board is! :p

haha :D

steve-onpoint
05-14-2006, 08:51 PM
"Be true to yourself and you will never fall"

...so a wise man once said.

Friis gal
05-15-2006, 09:33 AM
I'd say they're great role models. They've learned from their mistakes and made apologies for negative things they've said in their youth. Making mistakes is all part of growing up and they dealt with it well, especially being under constant media scrutiny. They support worthwhile causes and don't buy into the whole "I've got fuckin loads of money - love me" thing.
Peace:)
Jaaaarw (y) :)