PDA

View Full Version : How Much Did AWESOME Make This Weekend?

FogHorn LegHorn
04-03-2006, 10:00 AM
Anybody Know?

timmie
04-04-2006, 01:55 AM
Yeah, Alot of people happy!! :D

Freebasser
04-04-2006, 02:08 AM
20 bucks

YoungRemy
04-04-2006, 08:23 AM
AIFST ranked #70 last weekend..

on 18 screens, at an average of $1004 per screen, Awesome raked in $144,070, according to Boxofficemojo.com

http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=awesome.htm
http://boxofficemojo.com/weekend/chart/

Laver1969
04-04-2006, 11:52 AM
Thanks YR! I searched around but couldn't find a full listing. I only found the top ten films.

abcdefz
04-04-2006, 11:55 AM
Whoa. I would've thought it would have done way better than that.

YoungRemy
04-04-2006, 12:15 PM
after looking at the numbers, it looks like it only made $18,000 in limited release (18 screens) and made an estimated $126,000 (180 screens) during the one-night screening...

I wonder what kind of numbers the ThinkFilm people projected...

enree erzweglle
04-04-2006, 12:38 PM
It's only showing in something like 10-12 states. I would think that if they wanted to make money, they would have distributed it more widely. They must have copies because of the 23 Mar preview.

I know nothing about this business, though. Maybe it's prohibitively expensive to distribute a movie widely or to distribute it for >1 night.

A friend of mine asked if you aren't a BB fan, how would you know about the movie. I don't think it's been shown in previews and I haven't seen advertisements for it, so I do wonder how people do know about it other than word of mouth.

I am going to see it again in either Washington this weekend or Athens :) at the end of the month.

timmie
04-04-2006, 04:12 PM
Well, I think that the Beastie's arnt really thinking about the money! (i would be), they have plenty of the green!!!!... If they wanted to make serious money they would of done more marketing/advertising on the film! Another thing is that when people hear that the Beastie Boys have made a movie, people are like "what" are they still around??......dam those people!

Here in the UK, we can only hope that its on the big screens here! there is no advertising here what so ever only in a few newspapers & mags!.....Even though that Coldplay have copied the beasties in the whole camera thing as a movie...bastards! I wish these people have there own creative minds!! Cey Adams should do some advertising here in the UK!!!

Anyway I think that the Boys are just doing it for us kids!! :D there fans!!!
I really cant wait to have it & own it on dvd!!

Rodie
04-04-2006, 04:59 PM
They must have copies because of the 23 Mar preview.

Actually that showing was from a digital Satellite download, that's why it played at 8 o'clock everywhere.

kleptomaniac
04-04-2006, 05:02 PM
after looking at the numbers, it looks like it only made $18,000 in limited release (18 screens) and made an estimated $126,000 (180 screens) during the one-night screening...

and $44 of that came from me and my posse :cool:

or as i like to call them...mom and dad (y)

awesome.

Shadrach
04-04-2006, 06:52 PM
A 1,000 dollar average per screen is not too shabby. If you think about the movie itself, it is a niche movie, promoted to a very select audience. I don't think that ThinkFilms was expecting a shit-load gross. It is in very limited release. 1,000 per screen for this type of movie is pretty fuckin good. I think that this was done for the artistic merit and a way to get ThinkFilms on the map. Hornblower is all about the art.

KENNY GUIDO
04-04-2006, 07:10 PM
ah......but they'll make a killing when it hits DVD. :p

Shadrach
04-04-2006, 07:17 PM
exactly. I'll be there on the 26th with bells on.

Jmoney77
04-04-2006, 08:45 PM
Yup!

kleptomaniac
04-04-2006, 08:49 PM

you bet it will!

just to make sure though i think i'll buy one...maybe two...thousand or so. :rolleyes: :D

ggirlballa
04-04-2006, 11:12 PM
the dvd shud be a guide to other artists on how to do an awesome concert(y) :cool:

YoungRemy
04-05-2006, 08:40 AM
heres some analysis on the numbers...
indiewire.com (http://www.indiewire.com/biz/2006/04/iw_bot_hit_with.html)

"Devil" (The Devil and Daniel Johnston, a documentary about a mentally troubled cult-favorite rocker and his relationship with fans and family. It debuted on iWBOT in fourth place, with a $4,638 average on five screens) showed more promise than another music-related documentary that debuted last weekend, ThinkFilm's "Awesome; I Fuckin' Shot That!" A project of the Beastie Boys' Adam Yauch, who supervised fans shooting a Madison Square Garden concert with video cameras, it finished a disappointing 43rd on iWBOT. It opened on 18 screens and averaged but $1,004.

and another report says the marketing strategies have changed...
The Globe and Mail, Canada (http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/LAC.20060405.NOTE05-2/TPStory/TPEntertainment/)
could another one-night screening be under way?

Beasties use hit-and-run strategy to promote film
GUY DIXON

Toronto -- The Beastie Boys have always veered outside the ordinary, and that's exactly how ThinkFilm has decided to distribute the group's concert film, Awesome: I Fuckin' Shot That!, in Canada.

The film won't have a normal theatrical run before hitting the DVD market as originally planned, but instead be shown in cinemas as one-night-only events, like a concert, with local radio stations and other media co-promoting it.

Awesome incorporates frenetically edited concert footage shot on 50 handheld video camcorders.

"The film plays best if you can recreate that concert feel. We feel the best way to do that is to go into each market with lots of advance notice, lots of grassroots and local tie-in to create an energy in the auditorium," said ThinkFilm senior vice-president Andrew Austin. "Concert films are tough at the best of times."

KENNY GUIDO
04-05-2006, 09:26 AM
I'll go if the Beasties do another one. It was a great feeling watching the movie knowin the beasties were there, too....along with others like us.

I hope they make another dvd like this. i would to particapate and with my expeirence with filming with Fever for the past 5 years, I would make a great asset.

gaselite
04-05-2006, 09:34 AM
that's not toooo bad considering the nice type of film it is, with a limited release, but I still think they'll be dissappointed. Sad thing is, some people would rather go and see Basic Instinct 2 than awesome :(

Sales will definitely improve on DVD though, this movie seems ideal for the DVD format. Might make for an excellent HD-DVD/Blu Ray too, with all those angles.

enree erzweglle
04-05-2006, 10:47 AM
Actually that showing was from a digital Satellite download, that's why it played at 8 o'clock everywhere.
Oh. Wow. I didn't know that. Thanks!

(I might have guessed that "8 o'clock everywhere" was part of some cosmic, interconnected, psychedelic experience ala What the Bleep. :))

Laver1969
04-05-2006, 11:22 AM
heres some analysis on the numbers...
indiewire.com (http://www.indiewire.com/biz/2006/04/iw_bot_hit_with.html)

and another report says the marketing strategies have changed...
The Globe and Mail, Canada (http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/LAC.20060405.NOTE05-2/TPStory/TPEntertainment/)
could another one-night screening be under way?

Yeah...I would consider marketing this film as a midnight/cult event. Kinda like Rocky Horror. Go for the Brew & View type of theaters and promote it through the local radio stations.

Jmoney77
04-05-2006, 03:56 PM
Dont Know

lyneday
04-05-2006, 05:22 PM

8:00 on the East Coast is not the same as 8:00 on the West Coast. They weren't played simutanelously on all 200 screens