PDA

View Full Version : Throwing away the past.

Sarky Devotchka
04-05-2006, 12:31 AM
I was sorting through some stuff and I found a beastie boys poster and threw it out. :( also, I found a note that norcen wrote me a few years ago when he sent me some CDs. I threw it out. :( also, some mini beanie babies, out.

I did keep my old green day magazine clippings and a flyer from the '98 tibetan freedom concert though. also, some pictures of beck and cibo matto. I MIGHT NEED THEM SOMETIME!

ALSO, I AM KEEPING MY CALIFORNIA RAISIN FIGURE. AND MY PRINCESS LEIA PEZ DISPENSER!

I hate moving.

hitmonlee
04-05-2006, 01:20 AM
i've just moved out of home for the first time
my parents won't store any of my stuff
i had to throw out a lot of nice posters of my teen heart throbs :(

i've kept my magazine collection, my my little ponies, and a bunch ot toys i couldn't bare to throw out.

my room is crowded with boxes of stuff that has no place, but i can't part with.

DandyFop
04-05-2006, 01:21 AM
I still haven't unpacked all my boxes from moving into my parents house almost a year ago.

Really shows you how much I need all the stuff that was in those boxes huh?

I have to keep my collection of Star Wars books that I'll probably never read again....right?

TAL
04-05-2006, 01:32 AM
My parents still haven't unpacked boxes from when we moved from Sweden in 1982. And I doubt they ever will.

hitmonlee
04-05-2006, 01:39 AM
I still haven't unpacked all my boxes from moving into my parents house almost a year ago.

I have to keep my collection of Star Wars books that I'll probably never read again....right?

i kept my SW books! i even unpacked my babysitters club books (i threw most away, but kept a few of my favourite ones lol)

oh my parents were nice enough to let me keep my star wars toy collection at their place. i don't know what i'm ever going to do with it. when i'm old and have my own place get them out for display or something?

show them to my future kids?

na§tee
04-05-2006, 01:59 AM
oh lordy i never throw anything away. i came to university here about 4 and a half years ago - have graduated now but i am still using the same old boxes. it was just the routine of having to move to a different flat every year so i thought eh - i'll just leave the boxes on top of my wardrobe and no one will be any wiser. i am such a bum. my chest of drawers? no clothes in them. just junk. photographs. articles. etc.

i still haven't got out of the student mentality yet!

enree erzweglle
04-05-2006, 06:21 AM
I don't keep memorabilia. I used to to a degree. But at a point, I realized that I never sat down to look through that saved stuff and I never had the urge to. So I stopped saving that stuff and then after awhile longer, I threw away most of what I'd saved from the years before. It's been maybe 10-15 years since I've stopped saving crap and I've never thought, damn, I wish I would have saved that.

I have some things from my kid. If I have art that's been created by people that I know, it's sketches & paintings of his. Letters: if I've saved any, they're from him.

I don't e-save anything--like I don't save email mostly because why and because I get & send way too much as it is. :o

I hate nicknacks and souvenirs. I hope I never look longingly at a decorative thimble or commemorative spoon or special edition plate.

ScarySquirrel
04-05-2006, 06:26 AM
Exactly right, as a matter of fact. Books are kind of like little trophies that say, "Hey, I've accomplished something. I was there and I did that. If there's anything about this book you want to know, you can possibly ask me and I just might remember. I'm an authority figure on this book. Right here."

At least, that's how I look at it. A shelf full of trophies.

enree erzweglle
04-05-2006, 06:49 AM
Exactly right, as a matter of fact. Books are kind of like little trophies that say, "Hey, I've accomplished something. I was there and I did that. If there's anything about this book you want to know, you can possibly ask me and I just might remember. I'm an authority figure on this book. Right here."

At least, that's how I look at it. A shelf full of trophies.I don't know. I've bought & read a whole lot of books in my life, but I don't remember a lot of the fiction that I read, say, >10-15 years ago. In some cases, I remember that I read a particular piece, but I don't remember anything about the plot. I can read those books a second time and enjoy them all over again. Probably in 10-15 more years, I can read them a third time. :)

The technical publications that I own are investments--damn, those things cost like $75-$150, so yeah I'm going to save them. Plus over time I forget some of the concepts and I use those publications and the notes that I saved with them as references.

Rancid_Beasties
04-05-2006, 06:56 AM
The technical publications that I own are investments--damn, those things cost like $75-$150, so yeah I'm going to save them. Plus over time I forget some of the concepts and I use those publications and the notes that I saved with them as references.
Tell me about it. I have about 10 law books already that cost $70-$200 each :( I guess I'll need them later but goddamn it really hits the hip pocket nerve.

enree erzweglle
04-05-2006, 07:03 AM
Tell me about it. I have about 10 law books already that cost $70-$200 each :( I guess I'll need them later but goddamn it really hits the hip pocket nerve.And really, it doesn't go away after university or grad school. You have to keep current in your field and the costs of books: wow (although my work pays for that mostly but some of my friends in industry have to pay for those books themselves).

For me, book costs are associated with continuing education--informal study or via registered courses.

Yeah, I'm hanging onto those publications. Maybe I'll build hermetically sealed rooms for them. Special lighting. Visiting hours. Night-shift security guard.

Rancid_Beasties
04-05-2006, 07:14 AM
Yeah, I have more textbooks from 2 years of uni than i have novels. Its quite sad really.

mickill
04-05-2006, 08:55 AM
I found a Licensed To Ill 8 track cartridge in my garage over the weekend, still in the wrapper with the $3.99 sticker on the corner. Tossed it. I don't even have an 8 track player.

abcdefz
04-05-2006, 09:04 AM

...that's pretty much how I know I can throw things out.

When I made my big move west, I limited myself to whatever would fit in my Dautsun. I left behind a TON of stuff (a large U-Haul had gotten me to Louisville). My friends had a rummage sale with all the crap I left -- a TV, furniture, a few hundred records, bunch of clothes...

It was pretty liberating, actually. I made it to California in something like 27 hours, including sleep time. Pretty nuts.

Never you mind.

Sarky Devotchka
04-05-2006, 10:47 AM
oh, I forgot to mention that I found my Eminem autograph. hee hee. "slim shady '99"

yuss! I'm keeping that.

Documad
04-05-2006, 11:11 AM
I regret having thrown away years and years of old Creem Magazines. There was funny stuff in there.

Right now, I have boxes and boxes of things from my mom's house. I'll bet I get rid of most of it eventually, but I couldn't deal with it now. My friend said to hold onto it for six months and see how I feel.

I have thrown away most of what was at mom's house. I got sick of going to ARC but we did that too. I took today off to finish filling the dumpster at my mom's house. Too bad that I'm at a coffee shop on my computer though.

cosmo105
04-05-2006, 12:14 PM
i still can't bring myself to throw away big promotional buttons i got at business expos in 1996

burbboi
04-05-2006, 12:16 PM
I can't seem to let go of my Rick Astley paraphenalia from the late 80's either

cosmo105
04-05-2006, 12:18 PM
DON'T YOU DARE THROW THAT SHIT AWAY!!

burbboi
04-05-2006, 12:20 PM
never gonna give it uuuup, never gonna let it dowwwwn

cosmo105
04-05-2006, 12:23 PM
together forever and never to part...together forever we twooo...

Rock
04-05-2006, 12:54 PM
When I moved out of my parents house I had 7 boxes of misc. things I wanted to keep. I never open the boxes except for once a year when I go through them and trash the things that I thought I wanted to keep but don't really. It always ends up being one box less each time. So now I'm down to two boxes...and I know that next year it will be one and the year after that none...but I just can't seem to throw both of the boxes out right now for some crazy loony reason.

I also have hundreds of magazines that I can't throw away. I know that I will probably never open them again...but I just can't do it. And whats worse is, most of them are magazines like Stuff and Maxim.

All my Star Wars/Transformer toys are still in my parents attic, but I'm too scared to go up there and see what kind of shape they are in since it gets to be over 100 degrees up there during the summer. I think I will have to bite the bullet and do that soon before summer comes around and take them all home with me.

Seacrest, OUT!

hitmonlee
04-05-2006, 09:30 PM
I found a Licensed To Ill 8 track cartridge in my garage over the weekend, still in the wrapper with the $3.99 sticker on the corner. Tossed it. I don't even have an 8 track player.

i would have sold that on ebay.

beastieangel01
04-06-2006, 10:57 AM
I've moved twice within the past two months. I threw away tons of things I never thought I would. Including my 6 foot long Beastie Boys poster.

All of the materials end up being just a big pain in the ass when moving. Now I think the less stuff I accumulate, the better.

b-grrrlie
04-09-2006, 03:09 PM
I don't keep memorabilia. I used to to a degree. But at a point, I realized that I never sat down to look through that saved stuff and I never had the urge to. So I stopped saving that stuff and then after awhile longer, I threw away most of what I'd saved from the years before. It's been maybe 10-15 years since I've stopped saving crap and I've never thought, damn, I wish I would have saved that.

I have some things from my kid. If I have art that's been created by people that I know, it's sketches & paintings of his. Letters: if I've saved any, they're from him.

I don't e-save anything--like I don't save email mostly because why and because I get & send way too much as it is. :o

I hate nicknacks and souvenirs. I hope I never look longingly at a decorative thimble or commemorative spoon or special edition plate.
I'm just totally opposite!
I save just about everything and buy souveniers on my journeys (or keep something I've used there, maps, ticket stubbs, chocolate wrappers for my photobook). When my parents sold the old house a couple of years ago dad brought me boxes with old mags and cuttings (Record Mirror, Sounds, NME) from 1976-1979 (loads of old punk stuff).... and all my scrap books from 1973 forward, old posters and some "art work" I'd done back then. But he bastard had taken his old Tarzan books (from the 40-50's) to the charity when I wanted them!
I have moved 33 times and very rarely threw stuff away (well I tried), I said all that crap made me feel at home when moving so often.
I hope I won't need to move again...
I wonder what they think when I die and somebody has to go through all my belongings.....

burbboi
04-09-2006, 03:11 PM
pack rats....U N I T E!

Sarky Devotchka
04-09-2006, 05:32 PM
You threw my fucking note out!? How could you?

What did it say?

it said, here are some CDs, blah blah blah.

tracky
04-09-2006, 06:36 PM
all my "stuff" (not including clothes etc) fits into about 2 cubic feet and even that could be brought down to 1' if I threw away the old cassette tapes and computer games i never play

it's always when you move that you realise how much crap you've got and how much of it you don't really need

TurdBerglar
04-09-2006, 07:00 PM
i can't through anything away. i feel emotionally attached to everything i have ever owned.

ericlee
04-09-2006, 07:17 PM
i can't through anything away. i feel emotionally attached to everything i have ever owned.

that's why you flick boogers on your walls. You throw them away but yet, they don't go anywhere and stay with you forever.:D

yeahwho
04-09-2006, 08:56 PM
I'm sure over 75% of everything I own is in boxes. All the big stuff like TV's, chairs, cars and tables are sitting around me. All the cool stuff like books, albums, collectibles are hidden away in boxes.

I will not throw them away. I even have T-Shirts from second hand shops in boxes. It's absurd how many T-Shirts I have I don't wear.....I'm a goof.

SobaViolence
04-10-2006, 12:45 PM
attachment is lame.

you have to be ready to leave anything, anyone at anytime

kll
04-10-2006, 02:52 PM

you should've tried best buy... they may have taken it back...

marsdaddy
04-10-2006, 06:45 PM
I once gave away my original Atari game console. I regret that. Otherwise, I've never regretted any spring cleaning.

I've also found you tend to store just enough stuff to fit in your house.

monkey
04-10-2006, 11:12 PM
i am a quickly rehabilitating pack rat. im trying to let goooo of all that shit. you know how much clothes ive given away in the past days? my brother's gf and my bf's sister both got a shitload of stuff. ive been throwing out tons of my shit. im trying. i do have a lot of books that i cant yet get rid of mostly.

i think i learned a lot of what it means to let go when we moved from chile. all i got to bring with me was my NKOTB doll and my cool radio-flashlight thingie. and start everything anew.

kaiser soze
04-10-2006, 11:19 PM
yeah, it's clearing house when ya move

I was considerate and took anything that might be useful for someone else to the thrift store, took me 3 trips!

I think I have everything I need...even though I'm always wondering why I have some of the stuff I have

avignon
04-11-2006, 03:30 AM
I recently purged my entire apartment. Let's see...most of the Star Wars collection was sold. I tossed several years worth of SuperStreet magazines and the like. I built a bmx bike up out of spare parts that I found in a huge box in a closet and am selling it to a friend of mine who still rides flatland.
I found a Wolverine poster from '89 and I actually hung it up. I found my old Levis jacket from the same era. The collar was flipped up and the sleeves were rolled to three-quarters length. I washed it and pressed the collar and sleeves back down and have worn it several times. :cool: I found a super ninetendo in a closet that I never knew was in my home (leftover from ex boyfriend). I'm going to hook it up because I also found the Legend of Zelda. :cool: I found my old paintball gun, my remote control battlebot toys, and my Rubix cube.

burbboi
04-11-2006, 10:40 AM
I once gave away my original Atari game console. I regret that. Otherwise, I've never regretted any spring cleaning.

I did the same thing with my Intellivision II system about 15 years back with all the games for it all to fuel my G.I Joe fixation. I regret it as well :(

Nuzzolese
04-11-2006, 11:08 AM
I throw out the things that bring bad memories and keep the things that bring good ones. That way when I'm old and senile I'll look back and think I had this amazingly lucky, happy life.

marsdaddy
04-11-2006, 11:15 AM
That way when I'm old and senile I'll look back and think I had this amazingly lucky, happy life.It would suck if you transposed the mementos to bad memories. Senilty sucks either way.

Echewta
04-11-2006, 11:28 AM
http://www3.youtube.com/watch?v=mj3Sa71eUeE

cosmo105
04-11-2006, 01:00 PM
i still have tons of photo stuff in the back seat of my car from, oh, two years ago

i make my little sister and her friends shove it all to one side when they need rides.

i'm scared to throw away the prints - even the ones that got caught in the print dryer and have all kinds of crap all over them or are bent to hell and need to be reprinted - because deep down inside i know i might never do it again. and i want to always have those physical proofs of the good times i had in the photo world.

it's not like i don't have the negatives. i could reprint them or send them to a lab.

but i know i won't.