PDA

View Full Version : I think I'm becoming confused again...

EN[i]GMA
04-21-2006, 10:17 PM
about my political/economic persuasion.

I've finally kicked the libertarianism habit, yet in my debates with the pinkos at RevLeft I've found that far left communism/anarchism is utter shit too.

So basically, give me something interesting to read.

I need to read Galbraith's Affluent Society. I think that would help me out.

It's weird, I don't really have any definite views; I'm sure I have a lot of contradictions, but I like it a lot better, not being dogmatic.

I finally feel free of ideology, that is, until I pick up another.

Ace42X
04-21-2006, 11:32 PM
Dogma is bullshit, gets in the way of pragmatism. Set out with a set of core axioms that cover everything important and you can live with, and work from there.

DroppinScience
04-21-2006, 11:51 PM
That's good. It means you're thinking for yourself (something both sides of the political equation can use more of).

I guess the thing is, everybody has a different position on any given topic, yet if you fall under a certain "ideology" you're obligated to fall in line with all its trappings (i.e. "liberals must think this way about issue x," "conservatives must say this about issue y," "lesbian-vegan-anarchist-Trotskyite-reactionary-capitalists must think this way about issue z" and so forth). But in reality, we don't fit very neatly into these little boxes we like to put ourselves in.

To be honest, I can be just as annoyed by the rhetoric of my fellow-lefties as I can be by my right-wing enemies. It simply is no longer enough to say "Bush sucks" and leave it at that. You gotta give me more.

That's my take on it.

CJM
04-22-2006, 12:41 AM
read the bible.

ChrisLove
04-22-2006, 05:28 AM
I hate to make sweeping generalisations, but pretty much everything in the behaviours of living entities can be better understood with a good grounding in the work of John Nash and other game theorists. I think you would do well do start there in buildlng any kind of ideology. If you havent already that is....

EN[i]GMA
04-22-2006, 10:39 AM
I hate to make sweeping generalisations, but pretty much everything in the behaviours of living entities can be better understood with a good grounding in the work of John Nash and other game theorists. I think you would do well do start there in buildlng any kind of ideology. If you havent already that is....

Yeah, I plan to go college for economics so I intent do study game theory.