PDA

View Full Version : There was an earthquake in Stockholm last night

b-grrrlie
05-25-2006, 05:01 AM
:eek: Last night at 1 o'clock there was a big bang and windows shattered! I had just gone to bed so I didn't hear it, but I heard it on the news this morning. THERE WAS AN EARTHQUAKE IN STOCKHOLM! (http://www.dn.se/DNet/jsp/polopoly.jsp?d=1298&a=547652&previousRenderType=6) How was that possible? Are we going back to a new ice age? Apparently it was 2 in Richter scale. It had mainly shook the islands on the westside and it had been quite near the surface. It wasn't strong enough to break any windows, but if there had been a crack on some wall that might've gone all the way through. And they've just put millions on repairing one big bridge over there.

P of R
05-25-2006, 05:03 AM
It wasn't quite an earthquake was it. Just a bit of a shake from what I've read.

Still pretty amazing though. But scary.

alexandra
05-25-2006, 07:08 AM
didn't feel anything. probably 'cause i live two hours away...

i usually find thunder quite cosy, but the thunderstorm three days ago almost made me shit myself. it was extreme.

P of R
05-25-2006, 08:01 AM
Finaly the thunderstorms! One of the best things about summer in my opinion. We had one here a couple of day ago. It was nice. Just wish it would have been longer.

Randetica
05-25-2006, 08:56 AM
^exactly

here it doesnt seem to be a lack of thunderstorm summer
though never very long ones yet

enree erzweglle
05-25-2006, 09:49 AM
Finaly the thunderstorms! One of the best things about summer in my opinion. We had one here a couple of day ago. It was nice. Just wish it would have been longer.I absolutely love to be out in the rain in warm weather. To watch a powerful storm move in is such a treat. I don't want a completely dreary summer, but I love those late-day moody afternoons. when storms are on the horizon and the air looks nearly visible.

b-grrrlie, I am so glad that your earthquake was a 2, still, that is scary!

jabumbo
05-25-2006, 11:47 AM
man, i cna't imagine how freaked out my mom would have been if i was there...

cosmo105
05-25-2006, 01:02 PM
2? psh.

beastieangel01
05-25-2006, 02:03 PM
2? psh.

my thoughts exactly.

Oh, California. :)

alexandra
05-25-2006, 02:49 PM
it's very unusual to happen in Sweden.

TAL
05-25-2006, 03:27 PM
They just said on the news that a 2 happens about ten times a year in Sweden.

Saen
05-25-2006, 04:23 PM
i didn't notice it at all, and I was awake having sex with my boyfriend at the time.

b-grrrlie
05-25-2006, 04:30 PM
I had never heard of earthquakes in Sweden before, not even small ones. And I bet they've been even rarer in the middle of the city. Police thought it was some explosion and had searched the area with helicopters and stuff.
Earthquakes is one of the reasons I wouldn't wanna live in California, other reason is the heat and lack of seasons. I need my four seasons (and I ain't talkin' 'bout sage, thyme, basil and pepper here...).

I love thunderstorms as well. Imagine being in a barn, loads of newly gathered hay, raindrops against the old tarpaper roof.... ;)

cosmo105
05-25-2006, 04:46 PM
see, people that aren't cali natives are so terrified of the earthquakes. it's NOT that big of a deal! sure, big ones happen occasionally, but very few people lose their lives most of the time. usually it's just smallish ones that don't do much damage. groundsurfing can be fun.

enree erzweglle
05-26-2006, 07:13 AM
2? psh.my thoughts exactly.

Oh, California. :)Like when some southern city shuts down because they've gotten an inch of snow.

I guess people further north of me think it's funny when my city shuts down after we've gotten a foot of snow. :)