PDA

View Full Version : today I was thinking about getting a gun

Sarky Devotchka
06-20-2006, 10:53 PM
I mean, I won't get one. but I was thinking about what it would be like to actually own a gun. my dad had guns when I was growing up. hand guns, rifles, a crossbow, etc. he was a criminal though, not a hunter. he kept a handgun in the glove compartment of his truck, as a little girl I looked at a few times, but never picked it up. I shot a rifle when I was in 6th grade, it was terrifying.

I suppose this unsolved slaining of a man down the street got me thinking about it. because I just ride my bike. and some people awhile ago got shot at a bus stop in my neighborhood. I've also had friends that were mugged at knife point and a friend that was mugged after a dude hit him in the back of the head with a brick. if I had a pistol, and someone approached me while walking, I figure I could duck and upswing, reach for my gun and shoot before they shot me. and even if they did shoot me, I'd probably be so angry that I'd shoot back anyway and then they'd be hurt or dead and I'd have revenge even if I died.

yeah, I'm not getting a gun. anybody own a gun? and if you do, why?

jlees_mcsd
06-20-2006, 10:59 PM
I grew up around them and I personally have never owned one, only because I have kids and I don't think I could teach my kids the respect for firearms that my dad taught me. Now that I am planning on being a police officer I am going to get a gun safe, besides my kids are older now. I also have a lock on my bedroom door so it would be very hard for them to get to anything in here.

Justin
06-20-2006, 11:02 PM
you dont need a gun your a woman. Just use your voice and finger nails

GetYourWarOn
06-20-2006, 11:04 PM
just carry a whislte

like2_drink
06-20-2006, 11:28 PM
^ a fully automatic whistle, if you catch my drift;)

GetYourWarOn
06-20-2006, 11:29 PM
i dont catch your drift

like2_drink
06-20-2006, 11:33 PM
i dont catch your drift

i'm too stereotypically white to make a further joke about a whistle..:o

in the sights of others that is * sneaky emoticon *

i was thinking something along the lines of a james bond cigarette to the throat, but maybe a reverse blowdart, i intended on this beeing comical but then actually started thinking, if that's what you want to call it, and on that note,you just read my first ever rant.

GetYourWarOn
06-20-2006, 11:35 PM
sneaky.

like2_drink
06-20-2006, 11:39 PM
GEnerally iTs mY One trUe Revenge When things ARe ON the rockS..yoU Catch my drift KidS;)

Documad
06-20-2006, 11:41 PM
I have several handguns. I use them for target shooting. I don't target shoot as often as I used to though. The ammo gets expensive.

I took some gun classes when I started working with cops while I was in law school because I thought it would be a good idea to understand the gun stuff in police reports. I found that I enjoy a semi-automatic more than a revolver. It is more satisfying to leave big holes in the paper targets, but the bigger ammo is more expensive and my arms get tired faster when I shoot with a bigger gun.

like2_drink
06-20-2006, 11:43 PM
i've never shot a gun and almost threw up the first time i found out people would kill an animal for sport or for fun, kindergarden was a rough year all 'round for me

ericlee
06-21-2006, 12:05 AM
seriously, you don't need a gun unless you're in a war environment.

If you kill someone on purpose, even though it was necessary, it will come back to haunt you. Unless you're cold hearted and could give two shits about human life.

Also, too many accidents happen with them that are mostly lethal and alot of minor things that could be very easily overlooked can cause these accidents.

If you feel you need a weapon, just get mace. I'd suggest (if you can find it) deep freeze plus. It's got a mixture of pepper spray and c.s. which could stun the predator for a good 15 minutes which gives you plenty time to scoot.

Sarky Devotchka
06-21-2006, 12:07 AM
yeah, mace is a better idea. ha ha. I was just entertaining the thought of getting a gun. I wouldn't really ever get one. I'd probably accidentally shoot an old lady or myself in the foot. which I do enough already, figuratively speaking.

Yeti
06-21-2006, 12:08 AM
I have an old 306 Winchester rifle that was given to me by my father. I used to hunt but now I don't. It sits in the gun case and I don't even know where my bullets are located. I think it is actually worth over a thousand dollars--at least that is what my pops says--I think Winchester quit making the model and it is in pristine condition. That is the story of my gun.

Documad
06-21-2006, 12:14 AM
My dad gave me his old .22 semi-automatic. It's pretty crappy little gun but it has a hair trigger and no kick and I can unload the clip really fast. It's pretty much all I got of my dad's so I love it.

RaZoRbLaDe KiSs
06-21-2006, 12:24 AM
My parents raised me, teaching me that guns are bad. That you shouldnt even bother with them. But when you live in a neighborhood like I used to, You start to think that maybe it would be better if you did own one.

I've shot a 22 and a shotgun, I personally like the shotgun, it's my aunt's favorite. She sit's in a chair with a smoke in her mouth and shoot's at target's that she has.

I dont think I'd ever buy one to actually use as a weapon, but I have considered collecting old fashioned hand gun's.

Bob
06-21-2006, 08:04 AM
i've only ever shot a .22 rifle in the boy scouts. i liked it, but honestly, i liked reloading and working the bolt more than actually shooting the thing. i don't know why, there was something very mechanical and cool about it.

i don't own a gun, but i've thought about getting a revolver. not for self-defense or even target shooting, just for reloading and spinning the chamber around. basically to play with, yes.

Rancid_Beasties
06-21-2006, 08:13 AM
Wow...to be honest, i'm a little scared at the amount of gunowners we have on this board :( Only farmers own guns here really. And even then they can't even be semi automatic. Pretty much air rifles only.

I would never, ever think of getting a gun. And I don't know anyone that would.

zorra_chiflada
06-21-2006, 08:15 AM
fuck guns I'M GETTING A MOTHERFUCKING FLAMETHROWER AND I WILL BURN SHIT UP! it'll go for a good 10 metres.
last i heard, avignon is getting a net gun to use on her segway. (y)

Bob
06-21-2006, 08:15 AM
Wow...to be honest, i'm a little scared at the amount of gunowners we have on this board :( Only farmers own guns here really. And even then they can't even be semi automatic. Pretty much air rifles only.

why's it scare you? you weren't scared of them before you knew they owned guns.

i hate to sound all NRA, but having a gun doesn't make you a violent person. i've met scarier people who were unarmed.

Rancid_Beasties
06-21-2006, 08:18 AM
why's it scare you? you weren't scared of them before you knew they owned guns.

i hate to sound all NRA, but having a gun doesn't make you a violent person. i've met scarier people who were unarmed.
The owners don't scare me, the fact that there are so many owners scares me. Furthermore, that so many people are coming forward saying that they are gun owners/have thought about it is a little scary too. In Australia gun ownership is private, usually something that people arent proud of but is a necessity working on a farm or as a policeman/woman etc. And yes having a gun doesnt make you a violent person, but if you are, it sure helps to amplify the violence :( (n)

zorra_chiflada
06-21-2006, 08:19 AM
I'LL MELT THEIR GUNS WITH MY FLAMETHROWER

Calimero jr.
06-21-2006, 08:19 AM
I've got my army's assault rifle at home and ammo, I did not choose to, he's hidden somewhere and I really never think about it except when I'm obliged to take it (twice per year, one time for shooting training and the other for my annual 3 weeks of duty).
But I would never take it out and use it, even if someone was trying to come into my house. It's like I didn't have one.
And I really can't imagine wanting to have a gun for self-defence, of course criminality has absolutely nothing in common with the US....

venusvenus123
06-21-2006, 08:25 AM

I would never, ever think of getting a gun. And I don't know anyone that would.
i agree. fucking bananas.

remember guns don't kill people... (http://www.rense.com/general62/gns.htm)

MagicCowboy
06-21-2006, 08:30 AM
I need a gun
To keep myself from harm

Calimero jr.
06-21-2006, 08:32 AM
I need a gun
To get myself some ham

:confused:

Bob
06-21-2006, 08:33 AM
how you gonna kill the pig

adam_f
06-21-2006, 08:35 AM
I want a gun to shoot people who I know don't have guns.

MagicCowboy
06-21-2006, 08:35 AM
:confused:

Gorillaz, anyone?

Bob
06-21-2006, 08:37 AM
I want a gun to shoot people who I know don't have guns.

i want 2 guns to shoot people who i know only have one gun

adam_f
06-21-2006, 08:39 AM
Originally posted by Bob
i want 2 guns to shoot people who i know only have one gun

I want 2 guns, a girl, and a pizza place to shoot people who I know don't have a girl nor a pizza place.

Rock
06-21-2006, 08:40 AM
"Its better to have a gun and not need one, than need a gun and not have one." - Clarence Worley

Mot
06-21-2006, 08:47 AM
"Its better to have a gun and not need one, than need a gun and not have one." - Clarence Worley

Yeah... that.

p.s. this thread has been done to death... by firing squad

beastiegirrl101
06-21-2006, 09:02 AM
Sarky you can't get anywhere near a gun in IL without a FOID card, so I suggest you get one of those first. You can get it off the internet for like $5 and all you have to do is send in a pic of yourself.

jlees_mcsd
06-21-2006, 09:44 AM
I feel it is totally apersonal decision that you make on your own. If you educate yourself on safety and handling, anyone can become a responsible gun owner.

zorra_chiflada
06-21-2006, 09:45 AM
i'm gonna be a irresponsible flamethrower owner

jlees_mcsd
06-21-2006, 09:50 AM
i'm gonna be a irresponsible flamethrower owner
Flame throwers are cool, but if I could obtain any weapon the military has I would get a tank. I can see it now, pulling into the grocery store and never having to hunt for a parking spot. LOL

drizl
06-21-2006, 10:15 AM
get this instead: (http://www.beastieboys.com/store/images/products/New_Style_Blue.jpg)

Lex Diamonds
06-21-2006, 10:46 AM
I've also had friends that were mugged at knife point and a friend that was mugged after a dude hit him in the back of the head with a brick.
Me too. The guy who got hit with a brick it happened because they were stupid enough to ask him how to turn his new mp3 player on after they jacked it, and he took it and ran. They chased and bricked him but he kept the mp3 player.

That sort of shit happens a lot around here. I have thought seriously about getting a gun, I'd never have to actually shoot anyone but it would be good protection and make me feel safe. Wouldn't be so great if I get searched by the police though... plus they aren't so easy to get hold of here. Plus I'm broke.