PDA

View Full Version : Superman Returns

adam_f
06-27-2006, 08:09 AM
Looks retarded. Please tell me you're not going to see this, North America/South America/Europe/Asia/Africa/Australia. Please.

CrankItUp!
06-27-2006, 08:29 AM
Ghost Rider (2007) is gonna be fuckin cool....well hopefully ! (y)

alexandra
06-27-2006, 08:56 AM
it that Titanic 2 shit for real?

abcdefz
06-27-2006, 09:01 AM
Chances of seeing it are at about 40%. I have some interest, mainly in the shuttle rescue scene.

Chances of paying to see another movie and slipping in to watch a couple of minutes and decide on whether or not to fork over cash: 65%.

beastieangel01
06-27-2006, 10:04 AM
it has really positive reviews. Not that that means everything, but still, I was surprised.

g-mile7
06-27-2006, 10:07 AM
Chances of seeing it are at about 40%. I have some interest, mainly in the shuttle rescue scene.

Chances of paying to see another movie and slipping in to watch a couple of minutes and decide on whether or not to fork over cash: 65%.

Thats what I did with Minority Report(y)

mickill
06-27-2006, 10:15 AM
it has really positive reviews. Not that that means everything, but still, I was surprised.
Spider-Man was critically blowjobbed to death, and that movie is a big bag of human stool.

hpdrifter
06-27-2006, 10:20 AM
Spiderman 1 or 2? I maintain that this is an important distinction.

I like Bryan Singer. I think he did a bitchin' job with the X-men movies. I really missed him when Wolverine yelled "Noooooooooooo" for the third time in the last movie.

g-mile7
06-27-2006, 10:22 AM
The 2nd one I liked....but the first one had the illest fight scenes.

mickill
06-27-2006, 10:23 AM

I like Bryan Singer. I think he did a bitchin' job with the X-men movies. I really missed him when Wolverine yelled "Noooooooooooo" for the third time in the last movie.
I only saw the first Spider-Man and just assumed that the second one would suck dead scrotum sack as much as the first one.

DIGI
06-27-2006, 10:24 AM
I'm feelin kinda good about it.

Yes, Spiderman=crap

Batman 2 Begins to Return Forever=loved it

Let's hope Superman follows the trend. It looks a little darker, so I'm optimistic.

abcdefz
06-27-2006, 10:24 AM
Thats what I did with Minority Report(y)

Great looking movie -- absolutely idiotic plot/plot holes.

Among other things: I couldn't believe what a wind-up there was about keeping his banadgaes over his eyes for 24 hours or whatever, and that was the whole suspense of the scene with the spiders, struggling to keep them from tearing off his bandages/discovering him, etc. Then when that was over, he just took off the bandages; no big deal. Yeah, it's been a few hours.

HUH!?

Superman Returns already sounds like this -- too many wtf's out of character for him, etc.

mickill
06-27-2006, 10:28 AM
Yeah, Minority Report was ca-ca.

If Superman Returns is half as good as the first 7/8 of Batman Begins was, I'm in.

abcdefz
06-27-2006, 10:29 AM

2, by quite a long shot.

What 1 really got right was stuff like the learning-to-use-his-powers arc that ended with that final sweep through the city, American flag and all. Sweet.

Otherwise, really only Willem in the mirror was pretty great.

Spiderman 2, I was down with much of it.

Batman Begins is awfully stilted, but I still like it in spite of itself. It's pretty formless, and some stuff (Alfred appearing with a jet out of nowhere; Batman taking what'shername who's freaking out on drugs through the most nightmareish ride of her life) is kinda stupid. But there's an awful lot to like.

CrankItUp!
06-27-2006, 10:30 AM
I think Mighty Mouse can beat up Superman - what do you think ??? (lb)

beastieangel01
06-27-2006, 10:30 AM
Spider-Man was critically blowjobbed to death, and that movie is a big bag of human stool.

Not that that means everything +/or anything

g-mile7
06-27-2006, 10:31 AM
I think Mighty Mouse can beat up Superman - what do you think ??? (lb)

Wonder Dawg shits on both...

mickill
06-27-2006, 10:48 AM
+/or anything
I know. I was agreeing with you and just adding my own two cents. I don't trust movie critics at all. I used to trust Peter Travers until he became a giant phallus. And you can't read a Roger Ebert review without him telling you the entire plot and giving away the ending. And Leonard Maltin is just all over the place these days. And Rotten Tomatoes lets pretty much just anyone contribute to the tomato scale. So I'm kinda on my own here.

abcdefz
06-27-2006, 10:49 AM
I know. I was agreeing with you and just adding my own two cents. I don't trust movie critics at all. I used to trust Peter Travers until he became a giant phallus. And you can't read a Roger Ebert review without him telling you the entire plot and giving away the ending. And Leonard Maltin is just all over the place these days. And Rotten Tomatoes lets pretty much just anyone contribute to the tomato scale. So I'm kinda on my own here.

Only your inner critic is spot-on, but someone I really like is Anthony Lane at the New Yorker. (http://www.newyorker.com/critics/cinema/)

mickill
06-27-2006, 10:51 AM
But do you trust him?

abcdefz
06-27-2006, 10:56 AM
Would I let him date my daughter? Probably.

Do I trust him review-wise? We seem to agree about 90% of the time. That's pretty good, to me.

abcdefz
06-27-2006, 11:00 AM
Here's Anthony Lane (in part) on Superman Returns:

Every time another Marvel or DC product is dusted off, lavished with computer programs, and pumped up into a motion-picture event, we hear the same inflated claims: this superhero is different; we will uncover this man’s art and that man’s scope; we will show you what makes them tick, or levitate, or spin. Even Ang Lee fell prey, rummaging around for the soul of the Incredible Hulk, until it became clear that the poor old minty monster didn’t have one. The fact is that the only first-rate work to have fed off comic books was done by Roy Lichtenstein forty years ago, and the only comic-book movies to show any lasting swagger, like “Spider-Man” and its sequel, have hewed to the Lichtenstein line and mimicked the briskness and fluorescence of the painted surface. I have listened to Batman moan about how he will never fit in, and to countless mutants voice the same complaint, and, frankly, I don’t give a damn. The ethical duties of Superman leave me cold; I just want to watch him catch a falling car.

The latest actor to don the cape is Brandon Routh, who—whether on his own initiative or not—offers not so much his personal interpretation of Superman as his best impersonation of Christopher Reeve playing Superman. This feels constrained, to say the least, allowing us limited access to Routh’s potential charm, and it thickens our suspicion that we have seen the same tale told more cheaply before, although what, exactly, was so perfect about the 1978 project that it should warrant emulation? The new Lois Lane, Kate Bosworth, is not a patch on Margot Kidder, or, for that matter, on Teri Hatcher, in the TV series; much of Singer’s casting errs toward the drippy and the dull, and your heart tends to sink, between the rampant set pieces, as the movie pauses listlessly for thought. “You wrote that the world doesn’t need a savior,” our hero says, “but every day I hear people crying out for one.” His principal solution is to thwart individual robberies, which is unlikely to put either the police or the international aid agencies out of business.

mickill
06-27-2006, 11:01 AM
Ok, so you agree with him about 90% of the time, and I agree with you around 70% of the time....so I'm looking at a probable 80% correspondence ratio with the guy, which isn't bad, really.

abcdefz
06-27-2006, 11:03 AM
Ok, so you agree with him about 90% of the time, and I agree with you around 70% of the time....so I'm looking at a probable 80% correspondence ratio with the guy, which isn't bad, really.

Check the excerpt above and see if it rings true to you. I like his wit and observations, too.

DIGI
06-27-2006, 11:04 AM
[http://www.bobanddavid.com/doug.asp?artID=181

Good critic as well. Pulls no punches and shit.

abcdefz
06-27-2006, 11:09 AM
The folks over at The Onion's AV Club seem to have it going on, too.

mickill
06-27-2006, 11:11 AM
Check the excerpt above and see if it rings true to you. I like his wit and observations, too.
Yeah, he sounds like he knows what he's talking about, I guess. And I do like the writing in The New Yorker. Sometimes. Well, the cartoons that is.

abcdefz
06-27-2006, 11:13 AM
And I do like the writing in The New Yorker. Sometimes. Well, the cartoons that is.

I've got a book I could loan you. :D

DIGI
06-27-2006, 11:17 AM
http://www.bobanddavid.com/doug.asp?artID=179

Here's a good one. The first one I posted wasn't his best work.

mickill
06-27-2006, 11:18 AM
I've got a book I could loan you. :D
The Complete Cartoons? I've wanted that for a while. I can't promise that I'll return it with all the pages fully intact, but sure. We could use a good book for the bathroom downstairs.

abcdefz
06-27-2006, 11:19 AM
The Complete Cartoons? I've wanted that for a while. I can't promise that I'll return it with all the pages fully intact, but sure. We could use a good book for the bathroom downstairs.

Yeah -- mmmmmmmaybe I'll hang onto it.

mickill
06-27-2006, 11:21 AM
http://www.bobanddavid.com/doug.asp?artID=179

Here's a good one. The first one I posted wasn't his best work.
The review for Flightplan was actually pretty on point.

DIGI
06-27-2006, 11:25 AM
I thought Capote, The Cave, and An Unfinished Life were good. Benson's such an asshole.

roosta
06-27-2006, 05:29 PM
i really like the Spider-Man movies.

The trailer for Superman Returns interested me, and i want to see it, but i dunno why cuz i think Superman is one of the most piss-poor characters ever. dull as shit.

Rawr
06-27-2006, 05:32 PM
I'm not going to.
But I've always wonderd if I dreamed this or not since it was a long time ago. In the old old superman movie, is there one part with this machine thing, and this lady goes in it but superman tries to stop her. and she comes out a evil robot?

adam_f
06-28-2006, 08:04 AM
Brandon Routh looks as though he has as much charisma as that German maid from Benson.

YoungRemy
06-28-2006, 08:33 AM
i saw it...

i liked it...

hows that for a critique?

Otis Driftwood
06-28-2006, 09:18 AM
Haha, someone's crying now!!! (y)
I'm gonna see it too, just you wait!

mickill
06-28-2006, 09:28 AM
The trailer for Spider Man 3 (http://idontlikeyouinthatway.com/image_pages/spiderman3.html).

Looks guhhhrr.

DandyFop
07-01-2006, 09:14 AM
I saw it a few days ago. I liked it for the most part. I don't think the girl play Louis Lane was a great choice...she wasn't, I don't know, sassy enough or something. And she just looked so god damn young, it was hard to believe it.

Bryan Singer does a really great job making a film that doesn't just shit on what has already been made in the past Superman films. And when Brandon Routh is Clark Kent it's almost a mirror of Christopher Reeves at times.

I love Bryan Singer. I wish he could have directed both this and X-3 so X-3 wouldn't have sucked so much rank ass. Seriously, the credits on Superman alone were better than the last X-men movie. Sad.

iceygirl
07-01-2006, 04:21 PM
through the whole movie i couldnt help but wonder what it would be like to be boned by Superman.

Mr Films
07-01-2006, 09:09 PM
spider-man still stands as the best superhero franchise.

abcdefz
07-02-2006, 05:20 PM
Wow. That movie was long. And about as rouseless as can be.

Routh has a certain gravity without any charm, if that makes sense. He's a pretty damned dry Superman when he's not navel-gazing.

Spacey wasn't much to write home about, but the part's not very good, either. James Marsden probably comes off the best.

C+.

cj hood
07-03-2006, 04:40 PM
this movie was the best movie i've seen in the past 20 years.....if you grew up with the Christopher Reeves movies like i did then you'll love SR.......they stay true to the roots of the superhero and the Reeves movies (and even the original series).....no cgi shit at all!!! george lucas could learn a thing or 2 from this movie.......lucas should be ashamed of himself........Superman Returns is fuckin awesome!!!!

na§tee
07-08-2006, 01:27 PM
i wouldn't really be that interested in seeing this in a normal cinema.
i am, however, excited at seeing it in imax 3d!