PDA

View Full Version : fucking stupid graphics teachers that have no fucking clue about anything

zorra_chiflada
07-27-2006, 01:53 AM
i designed this really fucking awesome poster advertising the arts school, and it was so fucking cool. like i know that it would attract lots of people. but they told me it was unacceptable because it didn't relate to the arts school. they wanted fucking like fucking pictures of the stupid building and dumb shit like that. maybe if i wanted to attract 50 year old women who do watercolours. and the place is full of them already. i'm just pissed that they're so out of touch with the contemporary market. they know nothing.

Miho Mingu
07-27-2006, 02:00 AM
Use a picture of a 50 year old woman, with dyed purple hair, and a caption reading "I'm 30 years younger, and old people are lame".

zorra_chiflada
07-27-2006, 02:03 AM
hahha
oh god, i fucking should.
seriously, this poster i was very proud of. it had optimus prime on it. the teacher was all, "ugh, that's only going to attract nerds"
fucking bitch.

Otis Driftwood
07-27-2006, 02:03 AM
Haha, let's see both versions....

zorra_chiflada
07-27-2006, 02:04 AM
is there a place where i can upload pdfs? i'll show you

Miho Mingu
07-27-2006, 02:10 AM
I think you still may be able to use Photobucket or Imageshack for PDF files.

zorra_chiflada
07-27-2006, 02:12 AM
I think you still may be able to use Photobucket or Imageshack for PDF files.
hmm
i don't think you can

Miho Mingu
07-27-2006, 02:14 AM
Hmmm, I dunno, maybe like, screen capture the picture as best as you can, then change that to a JPG/JPEG/GIF file?

camo
07-27-2006, 02:15 AM
i designed this really fucking awesome poster advertising the arts school, and it was so fucking cool. like i know that it would attract lots of people. but they told me it was unacceptable because it didn't relate to the arts school. they wanted fucking like fucking pictures of the stupid building and dumb shit like that. maybe if i wanted to attract 50 year old women who do watercolours. and the place is full of them already. i'm just pissed that they're so out of touch with the contemporary market. they know nothing.

wait until you get into industry, you'll be swapping 'graphics teachers' for clients!

zorra_chiflada
07-27-2006, 02:20 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v468/suzy_h/optimusyo.jpg

camo - i'm definitely not getting into the industry. i've seen the worst of it :(

Miho Mingu
07-27-2006, 02:24 AM
Did you design that Optimus Prime from scratch? If so, that's a swell job. Your teacher is lame. That poster would be fine.

zorra_chiflada
07-27-2006, 02:26 AM
yes, i hand vectorised it. it's not an easy task.

Otis Driftwood
07-27-2006, 02:52 AM
Cool fonts, too. I would have chosen a more "elaborate" (pls excuse prickish expression) background, but hey, it beats water colors any time of the day...(y)

zorra_chiflada
07-27-2006, 02:56 AM
yeah, i agree with you on the background. i wasn't quite sure what to do with it though.

Otis Driftwood
07-27-2006, 03:28 AM
Some unobtrusive camo perhaps... :rolleyes:

Lo_Lyfe
07-27-2006, 09:31 AM
amazing fuel-tank leg detail.

faz
07-27-2006, 09:58 AM
At least you have a graphics teacher. I was studing multimedia this year but our mulitimedia teacher stopped comming for the whole of the second semester. And he wasnt replaced. Which made it sort of hard to learn. On a semi related note I've started uploading stuff to flickr from the stuff I did in college. Here's (http://www.flickr.com/photos/59442597@N00/199615128/) a poster I made that the teacher really liked.

zorra_chiflada
07-27-2006, 10:10 AM
(!) we didn't have a teacher for the first semester - there was some guy that emailed us from melbourne.

beastieangel01
07-27-2006, 10:17 AM
wait until you get into industry, you'll be swapping 'graphics teachers' for clients!

ha, tell me about it. Most clients have no idea what they are doing. When it comes down to it though, they are giving me money to give them shit work so whatever.

However, using a shit piece of work in your portfolio sucks at the same time. Definitely try to meet them in the middle if possible.

Yeti
07-27-2006, 10:34 AM
I shot a great 10 second & 30 second TV spot for a local Richmond Pub. I did it because it was my hangout and wanted to try the concept. The owner had an Irish Pub feel to the place. It is called Poe's Pub and I had a friend dress like Edgar Allen Poe with a top hat and cane. He walked down the cobblestones leading to the pub. He paused at the pub and looked up to the sign that said Poe's and straightened his hat. I shot the entire thing with tight shots, silhouette and from behind. He entered the pub and everyone at the bar turned and yelled Hey, Edgar and he waved. He walked in and up to a framed picture of himself that was very crooked--he straightened the photo and went to the bar. He walked up to the bar and ordered a Guinness. The scene faded into a graphic with dancing shamrocks with hands and feet and the Poe's Pub logo. A friend played some Irish sounding music with her flute. Everyone really loved it but the owner would not run it because he wanted pictures of food and thought it was too weird.

I still have the commercial somewhere but have not found the box it is in. He really should have run it because it was well done. I think people would have liked it. Some people just don't want to take chances with advertising.

g-mile7
07-27-2006, 10:37 AM
Maybe the teachers are Voltron fans;)

and it IS a great looking poster.

Otis Driftwood
07-28-2006, 02:07 AM
I shot a great 10 second & 30 second TV spot for a local Richmond Pub. I did it because it was my hangout and wanted to try the concept. The owner had an Irish Pub feel to the place. It is called Poe's Pub and I had a friend dress like Edgar Allen Poe with a top hat and cane. He walked down the cobblestones leading to the pub. He paused at the pub and looked up to the sign that said Poe's and straightened his hat. I shot the entire thing with tight shots, silhouette and from behind. He entered the pub and everyone at the bar turned and yelled Hey, Edgar and he waved. He walked in and up to a framed picture of himself that was very crooked--he straightened the photo and went to the bar. He walked up to the bar and ordered a Guinness. The scene faded into a graphic with dancing shamrocks with hands and feet and the Poe's Pub logo. A friend played some Irish sounding music with her flute. Everyone really loved it but the owner would not run it because he wanted pictures of food and thought it was too weird.

I still have the commercial somewhere but have not found the box it is in. He really should have run it because it was well done. I think people would have liked it. Some people just don't want to take chances with advertising.
But Eddy scored no hot chick, so why would anybody wanna go there?

Yeti
07-28-2006, 02:12 AM
But Eddy scored no hot chick, so why would anybody wanna go there?
It was a great pub with really good bands. I do get your drift. Sometimes Poe's could be full of depressing drunks but it was a good place. I played on their softball team and picked up some wild women.

Otis Driftwood
07-28-2006, 02:21 AM
Wild, man, wild! ;-)

Yeti
07-28-2006, 02:23 AM
http://www.poespub.com/
Here it is with their terrible song and all.

roosta
07-28-2006, 02:38 AM
the only thing id say is that the main font for all the information should be simpler, but other than that its good.
fuck them spider eating occultists

Otis Driftwood
07-28-2006, 03:28 AM
http://www.poespub.com/
Here it is with their terrible song and all.
Hahaha, I love how you Texans never wanna walk more than 12 steps from "the car to the bar"! ;-)

camo
07-28-2006, 04:30 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v468/suzy_h/optimusyo.jpg

camo - i'm definitely not getting into the industry. i've seen the worst of it :(

you want my verdict and advice?

camo
07-28-2006, 04:39 AM
Some unobtrusive camo perhaps... :rolleyes:

huh?!?!
:D

ha, tell me about it. Most clients have no idea what they are doing. When it comes down to it though, they are giving me money to give them shit work so whatever.

However, using a shit piece of work in your portfolio sucks at the same time. Definitely try to meet them in the middle if possible.

my tip is don't present the client with too many options, that will make them even more unsure about what they want. Try to focus on one style and it'll be easier to attain a mutual decision.