PDA

View Full Version : Media tugging at the heartstrings

QueenAdrock
08-16-2006, 12:38 PM
It pisses me off and doesn't tug my heartstrings. When reporters ask dumb questions like "How did it feel, once you found out that your father was on one of the top floors of the trade center and you knew he couldn't get out?" Gee, what are they supposed to say? "It felt great! I knew I wouldn't miss him that much. Oh, well." These reporters ask the stupidest shit that have "DUH" answers just to drive home some half-assed emotional point that what happened = bad and sad. We can figure that one out for ourselves, we don't need any "help" from you. It's retarded.

And I'm on CNN most of the day, reading what's going on. I've been following the Jill Carroll kidnapping, and they actually have little videos intersplicing her story. It's a 12-part series, and today is part #3. (http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/meast/08/15/carroll.part.3/index.html) If you see partway down the page, there's a link that says "(Watch Jill Carroll reveal what she was thinking while pleading for her life -- 1:14)". Now, I can tell you what she's thinking without even watching it. "Will I get to see my family again? Are these the last moments of my life? Did I lead a good life? Will I die in vain? How will my friends and family take it?" etc. etc. I mean, I doubt she was thinking "I could really go for one of those new BK Stackers right about. I heard that Stacker sauce is pretty good. It's too bad these terrorists don't have a Burger King around here...but I guess they don't eat cow, do they? Oh, wait, maybe that's Hindus? I don't know. Either way, I know that that Stacker would be pretty delicious right about now."

I hate this emotional appeal crap. (n)

SobaViolence
08-16-2006, 01:03 PM
if i wanted to feel emotions, i'd masturbate

GIVE ME THE NEWS!

enree erzweglle
08-16-2006, 01:58 PM
If you watch the News Hour with Jim Lehrer, you won't see that sort of reporting.

EN[i]GMA
08-16-2006, 02:06 PM
Without the media to help me, I can't feel.

There was a news story about a missing child last night.

I didn't know what to think until the news lady said it was 'sad'. I cried all night.

Thank you news lady!

TimDoolan
08-16-2006, 10:57 PM
Larry King "Alive" is the worst. And he's starting to look more and more like grandpa munster.

Documad
08-17-2006, 08:41 PM
NPR had an interview with the dad of one of the two kidnapped Israeli soldiers. They put some really dumb questions to him.

The dad was still amazing. It was partly the character of his voice because he sounded so tough and that made me more emotional than if he was emotional.

Anyhow, I hate the media so much.

yeahwho
08-17-2006, 10:01 PM
It's all good because not only do I get to develop feelings, I can follow it up with pinpoint first alert stormtracker weather.

QueenAdrock
08-18-2006, 03:05 PM
The other thing that bothers me too is when I'm browsing "today on MSN" or CNN.com or something, and there's a link for an article that says something like "Can shy guys find true love?" One of these days I just want to click on it, and see "NO." No explanation, just no.