PDA

View Full Version : Yoga?

Tone Capone
08-22-2006, 09:16 AM
Anyone here tried yoga? I am thinking about trying it for the first time tomorrow. Tips?

Otis Driftwood
08-22-2006, 09:17 AM
Don't wait till tomorrow.

beastiegirrl101
08-22-2006, 09:21 AM
<3 yoga.

If you do it, make sure its in the morning. Its the only time for yoga.

If you dont have a specific type you plan to start with, try Hatha.

mickill
08-22-2006, 09:23 AM
If you start feeling like you're renouncing your own masculinity, you'll know that you're holding the 'Dog and Cat' and 'Downward Facing Dog' postures correctly.

na§tee
08-22-2006, 09:24 AM
i did chi-ball yoga. you get to play with a big, scented ball and sit on it and stuff. it was fun.

yeah.

Tone Capone
08-22-2006, 09:42 AM
Well I'm a little nervous, the only dudes that would admit to doing it said that I shouldn't assume it's gonna be easy. They said it hurts at first. Then another dude told me he couldn't stop farting??? Then the some of the guys guys that I lift weights with made fun of me... I don't care though I'm doing it. They are starting classes at the gym tomorrow night. I'll let you know how it turns out.

enree erzweglle
08-22-2006, 09:44 AM
I've been using various yoga (in the way that you're probably thinking of it) postures for a long time--on/off for probably 20 years. It's part of what I've done for years for stretching/breathing although when I first started, I used poses and breathing techniques not so much for exercise in the way it's used today, but for other types of discipline.

At my gym, I avoid the organized yoga classes because the people that tend to go to them (again, at my gym) seem to be doing it because of yoga's trendiness. They talk a lot about their yoga outfits and matching them to their yoga mats and matching their mats to their yoga totes. There's very little talk of the practice itself. :)

That trend-worship stuff will vary depending on location. You can probably find solid programs if you research it. The best classes I took weren't affiliated with gyms but were given privately in the late-80s. Later, in the early 90s, I got involved with a group that assembled itself through a small university. That all happened before yoga hit mainstream the way it has recently.

beastiegirrl101
08-22-2006, 09:44 AM
make sure you drink a ton of water before and after...it's a lot like getting a massage, it releases a lot of toxins so you need to flush it all out. Also try not to do it on a full stomach.

enree erzweglle
08-22-2006, 09:47 AM
Well I'm a little nervous, the only dudes that would admit to doing it said that I shouldn't assume it's gonna be easy. They said it hurts at first. Then another dude told me he couldn't stop farting??? Then the some of the guys guys that I lift weights with made fun of me... I don't care though I'm doing it. They are starting classes at the gym tomorrow night. I'll let you know how it turns out.I'd say this: go slowly, take it easy, remember to breathe.

(And who cares about what your weight-lifting guys say. You'll have more flexibility and you need that if you want to build and retain muscle, and do those things without injuries.) You'll see benefits from it, no doubt. I think it's great that you're doing it.

mickill
08-22-2006, 09:48 AM
I occasionally do buddakan for cardio.

venusvenus123
08-22-2006, 11:33 AM
i'm a big fan. if i don't do it for a while and go back into it, i can really tell how much it keeps me in shape. it takes a fair amount of stamina to hold the poses.

all yoga is supposed to be the same, but it's just that different "styles" approach it in different ways, hence all the different names. i enjoy iyengar the most.

my biggest tip is: don't push yourself into any pose, just go as far as feels comfortable. i strained my back a couple of weeks ago by going too far into a twist.

good luck and i hope you enjoy it!:)

Nuzzolese
08-22-2006, 01:07 PM
I did yoga as an adolescent until the instructor's assitant gave me an inappropriate foot massage while I was waiting for my dad to come pick me up. My mind wanders, it's not for me. I prefer something faster and more, springy, or something that is more set to music or to a rhythm. The yoga classes I've taken all seemed to have no rhythm, going from position to position, breathing, holding, was frustrating to me. I couldn't adapt to it. Maybe if the yoga involved animals or balls or hand clapping and stuff, that'd be fun.

Dr Deaf
08-22-2006, 01:54 PM
take tai chi instead, it's like kung-fu for flaming homosexuals.

Nuzzolese
08-22-2006, 03:41 PM
I thought that was Tai Bo.

Or you could take pilates, it's the metro yoga. I just said metro. I'm so '03.

beastiegirrl101
08-22-2006, 03:43 PM
I thought that was Tai Bo.

Or you could take pilates, it's the metro yoga. I just said metro. I'm so '03.

pilates is so ghey. I just said ghey. I'm so 21 century.

Nuzzolese
08-22-2006, 03:55 PM
Yeah, I'd do pilates.

NOT!

beastiegirrl101
08-22-2006, 03:58 PM
NOT!

mickill
08-22-2006, 04:20 PM
What'chootalkinbout, Willis?