PDA

View Full Version : Do you ever have a Really Disturbing Dream?

Documad
08-22-2006, 03:30 PM
But you can't remember the details?

I woke up in the middle of a bad one this morning, and was too afraid to go back to sleep in case I finished it. So I got up at 4:30 a.m.

It freaked me out because I don't usually remember my dreams at all.

enree erzweglle
08-22-2006, 04:10 PM
A couple of years ago, my sister had a horrible dream--a vivid, detailed and real-seeming, awful dream. She woke from it at ~2am and remembered it in detail and wrote it down. She usually doesn't do that because she doesn't usually remember dreams, but she was so traumatized by it and its realness that she recorded as much of it as she could remember.

Then she fell back to sleep and the dream resumed.

The events in the dream appeared to be happening maybe 3-5 years into the future. In one part of the dream, after the dream's main theme had unfolded and when she was at the funeral home, she was telling herself to remember three particular numbers because somehow they were key to piecing together the meaning of the awful event in the dream and would somehow be an omen of sorts against that event unfolding. She somehow knew this in her dream and, in the dream, was trying to tell herself to find a way to remember it.

When she woke up, she remembered the numbers but not their significance; she only remembered that they were indicators of sorts. She remembered everything else in vivid detail.

The next day, she related the dream to me and it scared the crap out of me. We're not into astrology or tarot cards, palmreading--nothing like that--but a dream like that happens and when it shakes you the way it shook her, when it's that detailed and realistic, you notice it. I don't plot my days according to that dream, but when events in my life correlate to the onset of events in that dream or when the two seem to parallel each other, I notice it.

mickill
08-22-2006, 04:18 PM
Every now and then I wake up kind of upset, knowing that I must have dreamt of something upsetting and forgotten the whole thing (because, you know, I'm really good at putting things together like that) and it can bother me for hours.

Until I forget what I was trying to remember.

Documad
08-22-2006, 04:30 PM
A couple of years ago, my sister had a horrible dream--a vivid, detailed and real-seeming, awful dream. She woke from it at ~2am and remembered it in detail and wrote it down. She usually doesn't do that because she doesn't usually remember dreams, but she was so traumatized by it and its realness that she recorded as much of it as she could remember.
That's the thing. I thought about writing down as much as possible. But I was also so freaked out and I knew that I had to do something difficult at work in the morning and I was worried that if I focused on the dream it would throw me off. So I just laid in bed and concentrated on other things so that I wouldn't fall asleep but my body could still rest.

The next day, she related the dream to me and it scared the crap out of me. We're not into astrology or tarot cards, palmreading--nothing like that--but a dream like that happens and when it shakes you the way it shook her, when it's that detailed and realistic, you notice it. I don't plot my days according to that dream, but when events in my life correlate to the onset of events in that dream or when the two seem to parallel each other, I notice it.
That scares me. I don't believe in supernatural things but there is a definite pattern to things in my life.

My dream was like a really scary movie. I've never had a dream where people I know in real life die violently and in very bizarre ways. I was sure that I was going to die. There were three of us left when I woke up and I was sure that I wouldn't be next -- that it would be just the two of us at the end.

The plot was so tight. It was a well written dream. But I sort of ripped off Agatha Christie's Ten Little Indians.

enree erzweglle
08-22-2006, 04:51 PM
That's the thing. I thought about writing down as much as possible. But I was also so freaked out and I knew that I had to do something difficult at work in the morning and I was worried that if I focused on the dream it would throw me off. So I just laid in bed and concentrated on other things so that I wouldn't fall asleep but my body could still rest. My sister felt compelled to write. I seem to remember that she was so, so upset by this and felt so compelled to do something about it that she wrote it down in an effort to record it so that she (maybe?) could try to stop it? Something like that.

That scares me. I don't believe in supernatural things but there is a definite pattern to things in my life. Yes, that's how I tend to see it as well. A pattern to life, some sort of something that we can sort of grasp but never know fully or consciously. We see glimpses of things from here or there and sometimes it makes sense and sometimes not.

I remember reading a book by Knuth about how when you look for a number or a string or a pattern, you'll see it everywhere or, rather, you'll find it everywhere. I've tried to avoid focussing like that in general and in particular with this dream but sometimes, some odd thing seems to go out of its way to present and that's when I sit up a bit more.

My dream was like a really scary movie. I've never had a dream where people I know in real life die violently and in very bizarre ways. I was sure that I was going to die. There were three of us left when I woke up and I was sure that I wouldn't be next -- that it would be just the two of us at the end.

The plot was so tight. It was a well written dream. But I sort of ripped off Agatha Christie's Ten Little Indians.That is what happened with my sister's dream. Violent death, violent discovery. Helpless to affect either thing. She witnessed my reaction to the news and discovery and that, to her, was just as traumatizing as the rest of the events. I couldn't have described it better--a scary movie, a dream that is well written with a tight plot.

I am sorry that you had a dream like that. :(

It gives me the shivers to think about it. It doesn't help that I'm sitting here with drippy wet, just-washed hair, though. :)

If it's any consolation, Documad, my sister's dream came that one night and it never returned. The next night, I think she was very tired from having had the weirdness during the night before and she slept like a baby. I hope you have a restful night and dreams that are filled with winnie-the-pooh-like characters and honeybees and good stuff like that.

Planetary
08-22-2006, 05:13 PM
i had one i remember. you were all going to get strapped into chairs and killed by the pope.

kaiser soze
08-22-2006, 09:19 PM
I had a dream of sucking milk from a mothers tit

it was good...but a bit warm :eek: