PDA

View Full Version : The Dalai Lama in Vancouver, Sep 2006

enree erzweglle
08-23-2006, 11:53 AM
In Sep 2006, the Dalai Lama will lead the following discussions and give a public talk at the Dalai Lama Center for Peace and Education in Vancouver:

Nurturing Compassion
dialogue between select students and the Dalai Lama
Fr 08 Sep 2006 9:00a-11:30a

Educating the Heart
dialogue between educators and the Dalai Lama
Fr 08 Sep 2006 1:00p-3:45p

Happiness and Stress as Determinants of Mental Health
dialogue between mental health researchers and the Dalai Lama
Sa 09 Sep 2006 9:00a-11:30a
Sa 09 Sep 2006 1:00p-3:00p

public talk: Cultivating Happiness
Sa 09 Sep 2006 3:45p

Connecting for Change: Corporate and Social Leaders in Dialogue
private dialogue among corporate and social leaders and the Dalai Lama
Su 10 Sep 2006

Full information: http://www.dalailamacenter.org/index.php

HEIRESS
08-29-2006, 07:54 PM
I would go if I had someone to go with

enree erzweglle
08-30-2006, 07:18 AM
I would go if I had someone to go withI go to a fair number of these things and I usually go alone. When I do that, I almost always get something from each lecture, each class.

I have friends and coworkers who, when they hear about a meditation course or a lecture on buddhism or something related to it, they'll ask me to come with them for various reasons. There are frequently mini-sessions on campus, one-off lectures and sessions that happen across lunch and those are the ones that they usually ask me to attend. It happens a bunch of times a year and I usually go with them, but I don't often get anything from those sessions, probably because I get pulled into a different aspect of the lectures/exercises and also maybe because there is a level of interchange with my friends/coworkers to maintain and that pulls me out of things somewhat.

When I go alone, I target what I'm doing (I don't just go because it is vaguely related to my studies) and I go with few expectations whereas friends/coworkers usually don't discriminate about these things--they hear some buzzword or set of them and they go without looking into it. And they're usually much more goal oriented so they have expectations. All of that diffuses things for me to an extent.

When I go alone, it always seems to me that I hear a particular thread of something and there's a quality to that thread that I miss when I'm with friends, probably just because I'm getting pulled into them and away from the focus of the day itself.

Pres Zount
08-31-2006, 05:56 AM
Is the Dalai Lama a motivational speaker? Does he have a bunch o CDs I could buy?

HEIRESS
08-31-2006, 08:18 AM
I just found out that a bunch of people I do know are going, but I hate most of them so that would be even more counterproductive then going with someone I liked

chrisd
09-02-2006, 02:55 AM
don't you mean more counterproductive than not going at all?

HEIRESS
09-18-2006, 06:43 PM
Dear Brandon_01,

Fuck Off

With Love,
Heiress

my friends went, they said buying his books was more worth their money and time rather than driving 4 hours down there and paying 40 bucks for tickets. He lost track of what he was talking about half the time and his assistant would have to contstantly remind him and keep him on track which was extremely distracting thus making his talk very disjointed and hard to follow. And sometimes he was just up there giggling for a ridiculously long time thus making everyone wonder wtf was going on.

everyone gets old I guess.

Im fine with my decision not to go

baltogrl71
10-15-2006, 04:43 PM
they had a great turn out for him in Denver, I just didn't want to see him at the pepsi center.It is very big and I would like to see him in a more intimate
setting.

enree erzweglle
10-16-2006, 03:59 AM
they had a great turn out for him in Denver, I just didn't want to see him at the pepsi center.It is very big and I would like to see him in a more intimate
setting.
The NYC series was sold out, I think, and it surely felt that way: there were long lines on the first day to get into the Beacon. I think there was a mixup on the part of security because they were going through packs to remove food and check them much more thoroughly than they did on subsequent days. Lines for the women's bathrooms were often so long that security commandeered the men's bathrooms for the women.

The series was what I wanted although I wasn't as prepared for the text as I should have been. The English translator who handled Zurich worked at this NYC event and he's always amazing.

baltogrl71
10-16-2006, 11:02 PM
The NYC series was sold out, I think, and it surely felt that way: there were long lines on the first day to get into the Beacon. I think there was a mixup on the part of security because they were going through packs to remove food and check them much more thoroughly than they did on subsequent days. Lines for the women's bathrooms were often so long that security commandeered the men's bathrooms for the women.

The series was what I wanted although I wasn't as prepared for the text as I should have been. The English translator who handled Zurich worked at this NYC event and he's always amazing.

well it sounds like all in all it was good.
Security in the whole country I am begining to believe is a big joke.Last week I had to catch a flight out of DC, the night before my sister and I stayed up all night watching I fucking shot that and eating junk(bad idea)we justified the raisinets because they said they were full of antioxidents.lol. anyway needless to say I was late in the am and didn't go through my carry on that well I waited two hours to get through security, and when I got to denver and dumped out my bag I found everything they said I was not allowed to have matches, lighters, mascara all kinds of junk.So what was the point of making everyone wait forever in long lines and take off their shoes I'll never know.

enree erzweglle
10-17-2006, 06:41 AM
well it sounds like all in all it was good.
Security in the whole country I am begining to believe is a big joke.Last week I had to catch a flight out of DC, the night before my sister and I stayed up all night watching I fucking shot that and eating junk(bad idea)we justified the raisinets because they said they were full of antioxidents.lol. anyway needless to say I was late in the am and didn't go through my carry on that well I waited two hours to get through security, and when I got to denver and dumped out my bag I found everything they said I was not allowed to have matches, lighters, mascara all kinds of junk.So what was the point of making everyone wait forever in long lines and take off their shoes I'll never know.Post-9/11 airport screening presents a key point of failure. Once you get close to the detectors, you're rushed through what becomes a fast-moving line. You're trying to keep your boarding pass and ID together while you're reassembling a carry-on and laptop while simultaneously putting your clothes back on. It's easy to lose something there, leave something behind. It's also eerie to zip boots up or put your belt on in front of people that you don't know.

I had to travel several times recently, twice in/out of Laguardia in September and October. I figured that that airport would be problematic, but security there was a relative breeze. I shifted my concern to NYC itself--I was thinking that I'd be accosted or at least afraid while I was there :) but New Yorkers--absolute strangers--were unbelievably hospitable.

So many times, someone would see me with a map and offer to help and then they'd strike up a conversation. People offered to walk me to the subway platform or avenue or building that I needed and then we'd talk along the way and it was great. Men held doors even when I was a bunch of paces behind them and they'd talk to me out of the blue. One time, I was walking down the street and I sneezed and a guy said, "Bless you." I never saw any of the hositility or ambivalence that New Yorkers are typically charged with. I walked everywhere or took the subway and aside of getting turned around in the Bowery district, I never felt afraid. (In the Bowery, I stopped and asked construction workers how to find what I was looking for and again, one of them walked me there. Cool. That just does not happen where I live.)

baltogrl71
10-17-2006, 08:24 AM
Post-9/11 airport screening presents a key point of failure. Once you get close to the detectors, you're rushed through what becomes a fast-moving line. You're trying to keep your boarding pass and ID together while you're reassembling a carry-on and laptop while simultaneously putting your clothes back on. It's easy to lose something there, leave something behind. It's also eerie to zip boots up or put your belt on in front of people that you don't know.

I had to travel several times recently, twice in/out of Laguardia in September and October. I figured that that airport would be problematic, but security there was a relative breeze. I shifted my concern to NYC itself--I was thinking that I'd be accosted or at least afraid while I was there :) but New Yorkers--absolute strangers--were unbelievably hospitable.

So many times, someone would see me with a map and offer to help and then they'd strike up a conversation. People offered to walk me to the subway platform or avenue or building that I needed and then we'd talk along the way and it was great. Men held doors even when I was a bunch of paces behind them and they'd talk to me out of the blue. One time, I was walking down the street and I sneezed and a guy said, "Bless you." I never saw any of the hositility or ambivalence that New Yorkers are typically charged with. I walked everywhere or took the subway and aside of getting turned around in the Bowery district, I never felt afraid. (In the Bowery, I stopped and asked construction workers how to find what I was looking for and again, one of them walked me there. Cool. That just does not happen where I live.)

I love NYC! People have this opinion that it is so scary and everyone is rude, it is the exact opposite.I am glad you had a good experience there.It's funny I live part time in Baltimore and have friends who have never taken the three hour trip by car or even shorter by train because they are
intimidated, the funny thing is Baltimore has the highest murder rate in the country and highest sexually transmitted disease(not sure if it is hiv or not)and there is a LOT of attitude there.I have been to almost every major city in the US and NY will always be my favorite!

enree erzweglle
10-17-2006, 09:21 AM
I love NYC! People have this opinion that it is so scary and everyone is rude, it is the exact opposite.I am glad you had a good experience there.It's funny I live part time in Baltimore and have friends who have never taken the three hour trip by car or even shorter by train because they are
intimidated, the funny thing is Baltimore has the highest murder rate in the country and highest sexually transmitted disease(not sure if it is hiv or not)and there is a LOT of attitude there.I have been to almost every major city in the US and NY will always be my favorite!I live just about an hour (flying) from NYC. For me, the RT airfare is often cheaper than paying for a night in a [reasonable] hotel. :)

I was struck by how easy it was to find great fruit in NYC. If I didn't see a fruit cart on a convenient corner, nearly every corner convenience type of store had stacks of fruit at the checkouts. During the lunch breaks at the lectures, I'd walk along the upper west side and get fruit & cheese at one of the Westside Markets and then I'd take that and sit on a bench in the middle of Broadway and watch the NY drivers and the people. I loved that. The one fruit cart that was closest to my hotel was run by this great old guy and he'd see me coming and make up a bag of grapes, a banana, and an apple for me. He always threw in some extra something. :)

I stayed in an amazing and affordable mid-town (east side) hotel that had a kitchen. I had a blast there. Yes, I see myself going back to NYC lots. I've been there several times before, but it was always with friends and that structured the trip differently. These times, going alone, I saw the city in unique ways and now I am hooked.

Sorry for pulling this conversation away from the lectures. :o

baltogrl71
10-25-2006, 06:37 AM
I live just about an hour (flying) from NYC. For me, the RT airfare is often cheaper than paying for a night in a [reasonable] hotel. :)

I was struck by how easy it was to find great fruit in NYC. If I didn't see a fruit cart on a convenient corner, nearly every corner convenience type of store had stacks of fruit at the checkouts. During the lunch breaks at the lectures, I'd walk along the upper west side and get fruit & cheese at one of the Westside Markets and then I'd take that and sit on a bench in the middle of Broadway and watch the NY drivers and the people. I loved that. The one fruit cart that was closest to my hotel was run by this great old guy and he'd see me coming and make up a bag of grapes, a banana, and an apple for me. He always threw in some extra something. :)

I stayed in an amazing and affordable mid-town (east side) hotel that had a kitchen. I had a blast there. Yes, I see myself going back to NYC lots. I've been there several times before, but it was always with friends and that structured the trip differently. These times, going alone, I saw the city in unique ways and now I am hooked.

Sorry for pulling this conversation away from the lectures. :o

no worries! next time you go you should hit the farmers market it is one of the best, imagine right in the middle of nyc! That is one of the best things in NY no matter what your eating habbits are it's all there kosher, vegan, veg, etc and with sooooo many choices.