PDA

View Full Version : So i don't own any bruce springsteen...

sercomdj01
08-31-2006, 04:42 AM
Ive heard some of his stuff and it was eww, too late 70's/80's over production. I quite liked nebraska though. Off shopping, what should i get oh great bbmb opinions panel?

mickill
08-31-2006, 09:03 AM
Nebraska's awesome, but he doesn't really have any other albums that are quite like it. Darkness On The Edge Of Town and The River probably come the closest. I suggest Darkness...

sercomdj01
08-31-2006, 04:24 PM
Nebraska's awesome, but he doesn't really have any other albums that are quite like it. Darkness On The Edge Of Town and The River probably come the closest. I suggest Darkness...

I got nebraska so i own a copy. I will look into the others at a later date thank you!:)

DroppinScience
08-31-2006, 08:35 PM
You're not feeling Springsteen? Damn son, that's heartbreaking. :(

Which Springsteen songs/albums did you hear? I'm wagering you heard "Born in the USA." While I love that album anyways, it may not be what you're looking for.

Maybe try some "Born to Run," "Darkness on the Edge of Town," "The River," "Tunnel of Love" and "The Rising."

If you liked his "Nebraska" sound (definitely one of his all-time best), you may also like "The Ghost of Tom Joad" and "Devils & Dust." Both of those have that "stripped down" acoustic feel.

I also want to hear "The Pete Seeger Sessions" (his latest) but it still remains unlistened to. Curse my huge collection and my lame system of listening to new music (don't even ask). :(

yeahwho
08-31-2006, 09:41 PM
I really like the exuberence and hyper madhatter gokart Mozart rhyming of "Blinded by the Light", "Rosalita", Spirits in the Night" and the rougher looser sound, plus the guy has a slew of great B-sides. I guess what I'm saying is, work from the beginning and you'll see why Born to Run is amazing.

Tracks (http://www.google.com/musicl?lid=FAiRfcTRzgB&aid=cAi-1ZTKOgK) has all the B-Sides

My favorite Album by a hair is the River, it's got 4 too many songs but the rest is worth the ride.

Documad
09-01-2006, 12:53 AM
He's still fun to see live. The Seeger Sessions stuff worked better than I thought it would.

There were times when I played Darkness and some of the other records a lot. The River will always be my favorite, but it's flawed. I loved when Cold Case had an episode with all songs from The River.

For quite a few years now, I find it impossible to sit down and listen to a Springsteen album. I don't know why. I have a 60GB ipod with no Springsteen.

abcdefz
09-01-2006, 11:56 AM
The Wild, the Innocent, and the E Street Shuffle
Born to Run
Nebraska
The River

-- those are the masterpieces, I think.

The Wild... is full of twists and turns -- great stuff, but it might have to grow on you.

Starting with Born to Run, Little Steven (Miami Steve Van Zant) started steering him toward more concise songs, for better and worse. It kind of reached its AOR nadir with Born in the USA, which has a few good songs but some real clunkers, too.

Documad
09-01-2006, 05:52 PM
A-Z, are you seriously putting the Wild/Innocent before Darkness?

Reginald
09-01-2006, 07:09 PM
Burce Springsteen is my favorite songwriter of all time. Born to Run is a classic album.

abcdefz
09-02-2006, 11:25 AM
A-Z, are you seriously putting the Wild/Innocent before Darkness?

Yeah.

The Wild, the Innocent... is when he was still fresh and his worldview was still romantic. He hadn't quite conquered the studio yet, but that gives the album part of its charm, because the musical ambitions are so huge.

Darkness is a good album, however bitter, but almost every song sounds like they're on Take 2687 or something -- it sounds stale, kind of tired -- studio-musician tired -- with occasional exceptions like "Candy's Room" or the opening of "Adam Raised a Cain."

When I was younger, I wasn't all that crazy about all of The Wild, the Innocent... mainly side one was my problem. Once I got into it, I thought it was actually rich as hell. "Wild Billy's Circus Story" is arguably the greatest song he's written so far, which is saying a lot. That song -- the imagery, the sheer poetry, the simpatico arrangement -- holy crap! Randy Newman should cover it.

And I'd love to hear Prince take a crack at "The E Street Shuffle," or hear Bruce take another shot at it, because that song is funky, but Appel had no idea how to produce it.

RaZoRbLaDe KiSs
09-02-2006, 03:48 PM
To be very honest, Im not very fond of Springsteen. I like born to run, but everything else over time just kinda started to annoy me, so I dont listen to him hardley at all anymore.

jackrock
09-02-2006, 04:15 PM
Sons of bitches! it's all good.

You'll hate me for this but: The Rising.

DroppinScience
09-02-2006, 06:36 PM
Sons of bitches! it's all good.

You'll hate me for this but: The Rising.

Why would we hate you? "The Rising" is Springsteen's latter-day masterpiece! (y)

yeahwho
09-02-2006, 09:20 PM
Yeah.

The Wild, the Innocent... is when he was still fresh and his worldview was still romantic. He hadn't quite conquered the studio yet, but that gives the album part of its charm, because the musical ambitions are so huge.

Darkness is a good album, however bitter, but almost every song sounds like they're on Take 2687 or something -- it sounds stale, kind of tired -- studio-musician tired -- with occasional exceptions like "Candy's Room" or the opening of "Adam Raised a Cain."

When I was younger, I wasn't all that crazy about all of The Wild, the Innocent... mainly side one was my problem. Once I got into it, I thought it was actually rich as hell. "Wild Billy's Circus Story" is arguably the greatest song he's written so far, which is saying a lot. That song -- the imagery, the sheer poetry, the simpatico arrangement -- holy crap! Randy Newman should cover it.

And I'd love to hear Prince take a crack at "The E Street Shuffle," or hear Bruce take another shot at it, because that song is funky, but Appel had no idea how to produce it.

I agree with this to a point, then I think about Racing in the Streets, that is a damn good song with a pretty high point value.

BBboy20
09-02-2006, 10:27 PM
"Secret Garden" is probably the most unique and believable love song of all time.

jackrock
09-03-2006, 11:06 AM
Why would we hate you? "The Rising" is Springsteen's latter-day masterpiece! (y)
Good to hear that.

Were you at the Edmonton concert about 3 years ago? April 14, 03?

Teh
09-03-2006, 11:16 AM
Springsteen is no Bowie.

DroppinScience
09-03-2006, 01:46 PM
Good to hear that.

Were you at the Edmonton concert about 3 years ago? April 14, 03?

You betcha. And you were there too, apparently. But we didn't meet. Or if we actually saw each other we wouldn't have known anyways. ;)

jackrock
09-03-2006, 02:16 PM
You betcha. And you were there too, apparently. But we didn't meet. Or if we actually saw each other we wouldn't have known anyways. ;)
Yeah. Absofuckinlutely insane. Where were you seated?

DroppinScience
09-03-2006, 02:19 PM
Yeah. Absofuckinlutely insane. Where were you seated?

We were on the floor, but fairly to the back.

As I recall, you were on the front and you got to go backstage to meet The Boss and everything. I know you're trying to make me jealous... but you already succeeded at that a year ago. ;)

jackrock
09-03-2006, 02:23 PM
We were on the floor, but fairly to the back.

As I recall, you were on the front and you got to go backstage to meet The Boss and everything. I know you're trying to make me jealous... but you already succeeded at that a year ago. ;)
yeah but i like to brag about it soo...

actually it wasn't me who went back stage, but rather my brother with some of his friends. And that was the night before in Calgary. They went back shook his hand, then he asked if there was a song that he wanted hm to play in Edmonton. and he did. blah blh blah pick, drumstick, the whole shebang. you know how it goes.

b-grrrlie
09-03-2006, 02:32 PM
Springsteen is no Bowie.
(y)

Teh
09-03-2006, 04:51 PM
And to think a Bruce Springsteen disciple once told me Bowie was overrated.

Sorry chaps but Bruce really does nothing for me at all.

BBboy20
09-03-2006, 05:02 PM
And to think a Bruce Springsteen disciple once told me Bowie was overrated.

Sorry chaps but Bruce really does nothing for me at all.That's because he's a freakazoide and not even American............

Seriously, Bruce came from the goold ol' times of the American life; just listen to "Born To Run", that's pratically his main foundation of his music.

Teh
09-03-2006, 05:06 PM
That's because he's a freakazoide and not even American............

Seriously, Bruce came from the goold ol' times of the American life; just listen to "Born To Run", that's pratically his main foundation of his music.

I have listened to 'Born to Run'. I understand that he did come from said 'era', and maybe since i can't particularily relate to it that might be why he does very little for me, but i've always thought hes been a bit bland (which you could say about any artist, arguably). I don't dislike him, i just don't go reaching for him whenever i jump in the car or something.

Springsteen disciples, like i said, calling someone like Bowie overrated and boring annoys me greatly, though.

DroppinScience
09-03-2006, 05:52 PM
Comparing Bowie and Springsteen is like comparing kittens and pogo sticks.

Teh
09-03-2006, 05:54 PM
Bowie being the bigger of the 2, i'd imagine.

I've seen the comparison drawn many a time.

DroppinScience
09-03-2006, 05:55 PM
They're both awesome -- but I didn't think I'd read the two names in the same sentence.

Lyman Zerga
09-03-2006, 06:02 PM
teh is right and fat

yeahwho
09-03-2006, 11:15 PM
Ziggy Stardust = 10
Born to Run = 10

Two complete different works of art with two different visions and goals that make me wish I had some sort of talent with music, they excel and motivate.

Last year on one of the Soprano's episodes Tony asked Christopher what took him so long to get to the Bada Bing, Christopher said,

"It's crazy out there, The highway's jammed with broken heroes on a last chance power drive
Everybody's out on the run tonight but there's no place left to hide", while Silvio looked on non-plused.

Both are Pop Culture icon's that still thrive.

Documad
09-04-2006, 12:39 AM
Last year on one of the Soprano's episodes Tony asked Christopher what took him so long to get to the Bada Bing, Christopher said,

"It's crazy out there, The highway's jammed with broken heroes on a last chance power drive
Everybody's out on the run tonight but there's no place left to hide", while Silvio looked on non-plused.
That was my favorite moment of the season.

And DS's kittens and pogo sticks remark is spot on.

Teh
09-04-2006, 03:48 AM
teh is right and fat

Shut up, fatty. :mad: