PDA

View Full Version : Rage Against the Machine

ggirlballa
09-02-2006, 07:05 PM
i've just heard about 3 or 4 songs & LOVE IT!

i'v heard good stuff about them so i was curious also cuz a guy at my school always talks about em & i was wondering how the tour with the b-boys wud have gone...

wuts their best album?

& wut songs do u reccomend?

Poster Boy
09-02-2006, 07:09 PM
they don't really have any bad albums.

my fav is Battle of Los Angeles

though I suggest starting from the top.

ggirlballa
09-02-2006, 07:12 PM
they don't really have any bad albums.

my fav is Battle of Los Angeles

though I suggest starting from the top.
i got 3 songs from battle of los angeles & those seem to be my favorite and i got 1 song from rage against the machine i liked it but not as much as the other tracks

i usually listen to gangsta rap & hip hop so this is new to me....but their music has a little bit of hip hop flavor in it no?

DroppinScience
09-02-2006, 07:25 PM
Yeah, RATM would fall under the whole rap-metal or rap-rock kind of thing. I bristle using this term because I think of Limp Bizkit, but RATM were pretty much one of the originators and they're political... so they're in a class of their own.

Have fun discovering them!

jackrock
09-02-2006, 07:32 PM
Hell yeah.

My least favorite is Battle of Los Angeles, but it is too hard to have a favorite. Self titled, evil empire, Renegades is 100% gold. Whereas Los Angeles isn't totally great, but i love the first few tracks.

pshabi
09-02-2006, 07:44 PM
i've just heard about 3 or 4 songs & LOVE IT!

i'v heard good stuff about them so i was curious also cuz a guy at my school always talks about em & i was wondering how the tour with the b-boys wud have gone...

wuts their best album?

& wut songs do u reccomend?
My favorite track is "Renegades of Funk." The drum break is plain stoopid.

TurdBerglar
09-02-2006, 08:05 PM
self titled - freedom
evil empire - down rodeo
battle of la - calm like a bomb

Bob
09-02-2006, 09:03 PM
down rodeo is one of my favorite songs ever probably.

bullet in the head (from the self titled album) is a great one too. of course, killing in the name of (self titled) is a classic.

my favorite album of theirs has to be evil empire though. they're all good, but there's something delciously angrier about evil empire that i like. down rodeo, bulls on parade, people of the sun, etc. don't miss that one.

i like renegades too, but it's worth mentioning if you didn't already know that just about every song on it is a cover. they're extremely good covers (which is an understatement), but they're covers.

yeahwho
09-02-2006, 09:04 PM
I know it's probably not RATM cool or cred, but "Bulls On Parade" is prolly one of my all time favorite songs.

By RATM or any band, ever.

DroppinScience
09-02-2006, 09:34 PM
i like renegades too, but it's worth mentioning if you didn't already know that just about every song on it is a cover. they're extremely good covers (which is an understatement), but they're covers.

"Renegades" is 100% covers, actually. Covers of Springsteen, Minor Threat, Afrika Bambaataa, Bob Dylan, MC5 and everything in between.

Bob
09-02-2006, 09:38 PM
"Renegades" is 100% covers, actually. Covers of Springsteen, Minor Threat, Afrika Bambaataa, Bob Dylan, MC5 and everything in between.

really? i thought renegades of funk was a RATM song. i don't know why i thought that though. i guess because they made a video.

now i know! thanks.

they are some kickass covers though. i love the "how i could just kill a man" one. it fucking ruled when cypress hill did it and they somehow made it cooler. same thing with microphone fiend.

DroppinScience
09-02-2006, 09:40 PM
"Renegades of Funk" was a Afrika Bambaataa song, actually. So definitely check out the original!

jackrock
09-02-2006, 09:55 PM
Microphone Fiend (Eric B and Rakim)
Pistol Grip Pump, Volume 10
Kick Out the Jams, MC5 (live is insane)
Renegades of Funk, Afrika Bambaataa and SoulSonic Force
Beautiful World, Devo
I'm Housin', EPMD
In My Eyes, Minor Threat
The Ghost of Tom Joad, Bruce Springsteen
Down on the Street, The Stooges
Street Fighting Man, The Rolling Stones
Maggie's Farm, Bob Dylan

I almost, just allmost bought Battle of Mexico, has anyone seen it?

TurdBerglar
09-02-2006, 09:56 PM
i have all four of their dvd's

all you really need is battle of mexico and the first one

BBboy20
09-02-2006, 10:24 PM
I read on Wiki their "funkmetal" or something like that but their still a class of their own.

It's funny that I have complete opposite political views of their's yet I so love this band...though I'm probably one of the oldest fans of them here (Blame the Godzilla album when I was 12.)

Bob
09-02-2006, 10:33 PM
It's funny that I have complete opposite political views of their's yet I so love this band...

that's a weird thing about them, i hear this all the time. and it's odd, because their politics are so central to their music, but people who disagree with them love them all the same. i think that's pretty cool

TurdBerglar
09-02-2006, 10:36 PM
im not even fully aware of their polical views. they could be endorsing the kkk for all i know

mikizee
09-02-2006, 10:38 PM
ahhhhh the day i got evil empire on vinyl......

memories.

evil empire would def by my favourite, very closely followed by self titled.

i saw em at the big day out in 96, altho i wasnt a big fan at the time. i wish i was, cos i would die to see them again.

and i agree with most of their political views.

BBboy20
09-02-2006, 10:48 PM
that's a weird thing about them, i hear this all the time. and it's odd, because their politics are so central to their music, but people who disagree with them love them all the same. i think that's pretty coolI think it might have something to do with the funk sound inspiration in voice & sound and Tom always trying to different guitar sounds and techinques. Also, it's fresh and just sounds cool.

I'm a right wing person and I'm singing along lyrics invovling intollerence of greed and the bombing of Hiroshima. XD

Deep_Sea_Rain
09-02-2006, 10:51 PM
I just picked up Evil Empire a few days ago, and it's blown me away. I can't believe I put off trying these guys out for so long. I'll be picking up their 1st and 3rd albums shortly. (y)

yeahwho
09-02-2006, 11:02 PM
RATM have that uncanny ability to be so good you can't help but like 'em. Sort of like hearing Nirvana's "Smells Like Teen Spirit" open the 4th quarter of an NBA game.

Load up on guns
Bring your friends
Its fun to lose
And to pretend (y)

ggirlballa
09-02-2006, 11:52 PM
**writes notes**

Nivvie
09-04-2006, 04:18 AM
I know it's probably not RATM cool or cred, but "Bulls On Parade" is prolly one of my all time favorite songs.

By RATM or any band, ever.

I remember reading Tom Morello saying that's his favourite track too.

I think Battle of LA is the most accomplished album, but they are all great, for different reasons. I don't think you can really make a bad purchase on the Rage front.

Tzar
09-04-2006, 07:59 AM
self titled - favourite album
bulls on parade - favourite song
their self titled dvd - favourite dvd

icy manipulator
09-04-2006, 08:38 AM
just get all their albums, they're all great

Dr Deaf
09-04-2006, 07:06 PM
def. one of my favourite bands of all time. like the beasties, i was with them from the beginning. i had the pleasure of seeing them live thrice.

august 9th 96 for free at varsity arena toronto, ca. <floors> (still have and wear the "we support our troops / guerrillas" shirt)

november 29th 1999 @ maple leaf gardens, toronto, ca. <floor>

july 24th 1999 @ woodstock 99, rome, ny, usa <ground>

all 3 are some of the most memerable concert experiences i've ever had.

i had 4 tix to the first two stops of the rhyme and reason tour. tragic, it never came to fruition.

after you've acquired all the studio released albums, be sure to pick up
Live at the Grand Olympic Auditorium (http://www.amazon.com/Live-at-Grand-Olympic-Auditorium/dp/B0000DJEQZ/sr=8-) dvd /cd. it's like listening to rage against the machine playing a show at your house.

it's the closet thing you'll get to a concert of there's, in this lifetime.

better late than never, enjoy every minute of your recent discovery.

yeahwho
09-04-2006, 09:29 PM
If those Audioslave dudes had any nut they'd change their name to "Rage Against The Hemorrhoid" in the meantime let's all stay serious and stuff.

check.

Bob
09-05-2006, 12:10 AM
what's zach de la rocha up to these days anyway? last thing i remember hearing, he was working on some thing with DJ shadow (i think?) but that was, i dunno 5-6 years ago.

Waus
09-05-2006, 12:22 AM
I love Rage, but I haven't been able to listen to them for years. My freshman year roomie had 4 bands he rotated through, and they were one of them.

Also I kind of get tired of their relentless political tirade. I mean - having views and being passionate is awesome, but I felt like they rarely just made music for the sake of making music. Still, great band.

yeahwho
09-05-2006, 12:30 AM
what's zach de la rocha up to these days anyway? last thing i remember hearing, he was working on some thing with DJ shadow (i think?) but that was, i dunno 5-6 years ago.

It would be supercool if he hooked up with all the dudes leftover from Soundgarden and embarassed Audioslave.

dreams.......

mellowlikejello
09-05-2006, 09:57 AM
for anyone that's seen them live, i'm very jealous. after watching all the dvds, it looks incredible, all the energy.

all the albums are great, but the self titled one might be my favorite. love it.

icy manipulator
09-07-2006, 12:36 PM
for anyone that's seen them live, i'm very jealous. after watching all the dvds, it looks incredible, all the energy.

all the albums are great, but the self titled one might be my favorite. love it.
yeah i cant imagine a better band live. i'd give anything to see them live one last time

BBboy20
09-07-2006, 12:56 PM
Also I kind of get tired of their relentless political tirade. I mean - having views and being passionate is awesome, but I felt like they rarely just made music for the sake of making music. Still, great band.I don't think they formed the band just to make music...try to remember, music seems really the only way to express their opinion and such so I guess maybe their not much muscians even so their good ones.

Thundercracker
09-07-2006, 01:02 PM
i'd give anything to see them live one last time

same here.

The Notorious LOL
09-07-2006, 04:27 PM
Pistol Grip Pump makes me want to kick people in the face. Thats my favorite cover.

Buy the Self Titled and Evil Empire. Download Renegades and Battle of LA

Kid Presentable
09-07-2006, 06:30 PM
Buy the Self Titled and Evil Empire. Download Renegades and Battle of LA
Fucking exactly.

TurdBerglar
09-07-2006, 08:13 PM
battle of la didn't sit with me well for a few years. i was a but dissapointed when it first came out, but it has grown on me quite a bit. it has a different quality to it. i don't know how to express it properly but it seems more groove/bass guitar oreintated than hard rock compared to the other two.

jackrock
09-07-2006, 08:31 PM
You're gonna burn.

ggirlballa
09-07-2006, 09:11 PM
wow for the last couple days i've been RATM obsessed!!!

this is band is so awesome live...thank you youtube!:D

Laver1969
09-07-2006, 09:31 PM
They were incredible live. I've seen them a couple of times. They shared the same stage as the Beasties at the Tibetan Freedom Concert in 1999. They tore it up. (y)

na§tee
04-17-2008, 04:05 PM
i'm going through a period of listening to an awful lot of rage against the machine again.

it's the motherfuckin' 90s!

Deep_Sea_Rain
04-17-2008, 04:13 PM
Just listened to them today whilst landscaping! Evil Empire is my yard work album. I really hope they make another record...but they've downplayed that possibility repeatedly in recent interviews unfortunately.

Calimero jr.
04-18-2008, 03:38 AM
Even id I basically don't listen to them anymore, Evil Empire is still my favourite RATM album and probably the one of the best rap-rock-hardcore album ever.
I was very disappointed by The Battle of Los Angeles, as I found that they seemed to have run short of ideas imho...
Renegades has some very nice covers, but still, it remains a cover album so I can't really consider it as a real RATM album.

camo
04-18-2008, 04:33 AM
Evil Empire is one of my least favorite RATM joints. I could never get into it the way I did with their debut.

Tzar
04-18-2008, 05:34 AM
i watched their last dvd the other week... and the 'weirdness' has grown off it. i'd watch it back when i bought it thinking "goddamn.. they NEVER will get back together" but ummm yeah... y'all know what happened next.

camo
04-18-2008, 05:41 AM
i think i've only listened to Battle of L.A a handful of times. i couldn't get into Evil Empire either. but their self titled album i have listened to a million times over

I'm with you on that one apart form the Battle of L.A. I've listened to that one in equal times to the debut. Maybe it's becuse they are more 'heavier' than empire and I like my loud music (y)

mikizee
04-19-2008, 04:24 AM
I have seen them live twice this year (y) (y) (y) (y) (y)