PDA

View Full Version : Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind is GOOD

Nuzzolese
09-07-2006, 03:01 PM
I watched it again and it confirmed it's goodness once again. I like it. I like Jim Carey in it. It's a truly convincing love story. And it's interesting! What draws people together, how would things be different if you knew the problems clearly? If it's useful to remember the pain to avoid it, is it noble to remember the pain and soldier on together in hope? The movie has these great characters of Joel and Clementine, and copared to most love story movies that are so fake and so standard, this one shines. Anymore for me, if a movie's love story isn't totally believable - the interaction between characters and their draw to one another as well as their troubles, it means nothing and it's just some guy dreaming, it's self indulgent.

paulb
09-07-2006, 03:03 PM
id rather be driving...

for some reason i always get this movie confused with Garden State, which i perfered over Eternal.

Nuzzolese
09-07-2006, 03:03 PM
Get out.

paulb
09-07-2006, 03:05 PM
fine...

b i o n i c
09-07-2006, 03:06 PM
dont see this movie with a significant other if you're on the rocks.

beastiegirrl101
09-07-2006, 03:11 PM
I loved it, and own it.

I liked that no matter what they did to forget eachother, they found their way back.

Freebasser
09-07-2006, 03:15 PM
Worst 12 hours I spent in a cinema.

Ok, not really, but I still found it boring.

Nuzzolese
09-07-2006, 03:22 PM
If you didn't like it, could you list some movies that you DO like, so I can get an idea about you?

afronaut
09-07-2006, 03:40 PM
I like it. It's better than Garden State.

afronaut
09-07-2006, 03:41 PM
Actually, a lot better than Garden State.

beastieangel01
09-07-2006, 03:49 PM
If it's useful to remember the pain to avoid it

that was the biggest/most apparent message for me in the film. I cannot express how much I loved this movie. It's painful to watch actually, at times. Just because I'm sure everyone has gone through break ups and all that.

Hear hear! :)

beastiegirrl101
09-07-2006, 03:51 PM
but the impossible is so romantic!

Caribou
09-07-2006, 04:10 PM
I've bought it and watched it and liked it, but I've never watched it again because it made me cry and I don't like being a sentimental little mofo.
You know, bad memories and all that stuff and I'm afraid that if I watch it again it'll bring all that stuff back and I'll end up crying over a bowl of ben & jerry's chocolate therapy.

Helvete
09-07-2006, 04:14 PM
I like this film.

TurdBerglar
09-07-2006, 08:19 PM
garden state was nothing than a boring story about a boring dude doing random shit with random people. it was just a biography of some sad shithead's weekend.

spotless mind is great and im not generally a person that think's twice about a movie. but this one grabbed a hold of me. i think it has a much larger effect on people that have been through some shit.

skra75
09-07-2006, 09:10 PM
yep, preaching to the choir, but it's brilliant.
first time I saw it was on an airplane on the way to tokyo. i remember I cried and was really embarrassed, but then looked over to see the overweight american tourist next to me had blacked out, no big deal.
i love it and own it, it's up there with my favorites.

zorra_chiflada
09-07-2006, 09:16 PM
i loved kate winslet in this movie.

cosmo105
09-07-2006, 10:48 PM
garden state was nothing than a boring story about a boring dude doing random shit with random people. it was just a biography of some sad shithead's weekend.

spotless mind is great and im not generally a person that think's twice about a movie. but this one grabbed a hold of me. i think it has a much larger effect on people that have been through some shit.
that was beautiful, turd.

Bitchamachacha
09-08-2006, 06:52 AM
I can't fuckin' stand Jim Carey. I used to like him back in his "In Living Color" days, then he got old quick. I wasn't sure he could even make a film without using one of his rediculous trademark zany faces.

After watching "The Truman Show", I started liking him again---just a tiny bit.

When I watched "Spotless", I was majorly impressed. I was indeed a great film and Jim was casted perfectly.

zorra_chiflada
09-08-2006, 07:00 AM
god sometimes i wish that memory erasure existed, not necessarily for relationships, but dealing with grief in general.

Nuzzolese
09-08-2006, 07:52 AM
I guess it was just TAL and freebasser who didn't like it. And, I'm sorry but Garden State? The two movies are incredibly different. The only similarity I can find is that both of them involve a sad guy and his free spirit girlfriend. But they are so completely different in their stories and dialogue and everything else.

Jim Carey has come a long way.

Anyway, zorra, that's what the movie was indulging in; sometimes we all wish we could just erase bad memories. But then there's the message that the nature of memory is that it intertwines things good and bad, and good things end up linking with bad. Like Clementine's name reminding him that his favorite toy as a child was his Huckleberry Hound doll, so he naturally had the doll erased from his memory while erasing all memories of Clementine.

"It's on par with a night of heavy drinking" I liked that. A night of heavy drinking is what a lot of people do when they're trying to forget someone or something.

TAL
09-08-2006, 07:58 AM
I guess it was just TAL and freebasser who didn't like it.
I never said I didn't like the movie. I said I don't like Jim Carrey.

TurdBerglar
09-08-2006, 08:09 AM
that was beautiful, turd.

shit

zorra_chiflada
09-08-2006, 08:10 AM
sucked in

Nuzzolese
09-08-2006, 08:11 AM
I never said I didn't like the movie. I said I don't like Jim Carrey.

So you liked it?

ericlee
09-08-2006, 08:18 AM
I've seen it once and can vaguely remember it. Thanks Nuzz, you've inspired me to watch it again because from what I do remember of it, it was decent.

abcdefz
09-08-2006, 08:20 AM
Eternal Sunshine was my favorite movie that year.

Carrey and Winslet and Ruffalo and Elijah Wood and Kirstin Dunst are all great in it.

Very profound, beautiful movie. (y)

Elijah is sooooooo creepy without even knowing it. That and his role in Sin City are quite the crawlies.

Kerrbear
09-08-2006, 08:23 AM
I've never seen it. Is it "City of Angels" sad, or "Schindler's List" sad?

Nuzzolese
09-08-2006, 08:26 AM
Probably closer to City of Angels sad, nobody dies, but I wouldn't compare the two. It's a different sad. It's not fairy tale sad it's like, yeah that's life sad. But it ends on a hopeful note!

I didn't think much of Kirsten Dunst in it. She did her role fine, I just didn't care for her character I guess.

abcdefz
09-08-2006, 08:28 AM
I've never seen it. Is it "City of Angels" sad, or "Schindler's List" sad?

I've never seen City of Angels.

Schindler's List is a different type of sad, when it works: it's more about brutality, inhumanity to humanity, etc. Eternal Sunshine is more about interpersonal relationships -- the good and the bad, are we fated, is the pain of regret worth the cost of having loved at all? etc.

Much more difficult, to me, and so it's more profound. Schindler's List is kind of a no-brainer; Eternal Sunshine demands that your brain is firing on most cylinders. Very provocative.

Kerrbear
09-08-2006, 08:37 AM
The trick to sad movies is always timing. You don't want to end up taking the dvd player into the bathtub with you.

TAL
09-08-2006, 08:44 AM
So you liked it?
Yeah, it was good.

Thundercracker
09-08-2006, 10:10 AM
i know a girl who looks exactly like clementine.

Nuzzolese
09-08-2006, 10:10 AM
You said it made you never want to watch another movie with Jim Carey in it, no matter how brilliant anybody said it was.

QueenAdrock
09-08-2006, 10:20 AM
I was told I have to see this. Maybe I'll force Brett to show it to me when I'm in Edmonton.

TAL
09-08-2006, 10:37 AM
You said it made you never want to watch another movie with Jim Carey in it, no matter how brilliant anybody said it was.
Correct.

hpdrifter
09-08-2006, 10:59 AM
I also love this movie.

If this service existed would any of you use it?

Nuzzolese
09-08-2006, 03:33 PM
Possible Spoilers Ahead:

I just thought of something. I saw a deleted scene on the DVD where Joel comes home from his first as far as he can remember, but chronologically most recent evening with Clementine, and before he calls her he calls Naomi, the woman he'd been living with. He tells her that they shouldn't rush into things again and they shouldn't get back together without thinking about all the problems they'd had. Hmm, significant words. But it does seem odd when you think of the chronology of events. He'd broken up with Naomi two years before that night.

Here's why it would be strange. Joel and Naomi were together before he met Clem at a party. That was two years ago. In the present (loosely speaking) Clementine impulsively erases Joel and then when he finds out he decides to erase her, 3 days before Valentine's Day, as his neighbor reminds him. The next day he meets her again and that night she gives him her phone number. That night he also calls her as soon as he gets home. So, if the deleted scene had been inserted there, Joel would have had to have been talking to Naomi again before deciding to erase Clementine. I guess that's plausible but he was pretty broken up and confused about losing Clem, he was even trying to win her back - up until the evening he found out about her erasure of him.

They MUST have rearranged the scenes and that's why they deleted the scene. It wouldn't have made sense for Joel to be talking to Naomi in the time between finding out about Lacuna and deciding to erase Clem.

Lyman Zerga
09-08-2006, 04:50 PM
i want to see it now

cookiepuss
09-08-2006, 05:01 PM
it was just ok for me. it was one of those things that everyone said I in particular would just love. and it just didn't grab me like everyone said it would. it wasn't bad, but I guess I just wasn't in a place in my life where it spoke to me.

like2_drink
09-08-2006, 05:32 PM
good good, im glad to see someone else likes smart movies(y)

i loved that movie

QueenAdrock
09-08-2006, 10:38 PM
We rented it tonight because my other two friends hadn't seen it.

I fell asleep right after he visited the clinic place that printed out "Joel has been erased from clementine's memory"...I was so tired.

GODDAMMIT:mad:

adrockmelanie
09-09-2006, 11:00 AM
it's in my top 8

...lolz.

abcdefz
09-09-2006, 11:05 AM
Possible Spoilers Ahead:

I just thought of something. I saw a deleted scene on the DVD where Joel comes home from his first as far as he can remember, but chronologically most recent evening with Clementine, and before he calls her he calls Naomi, the woman he'd been living with. He tells her that they shouldn't rush into things again and they shouldn't get back together without thinking about all the problems they'd had. Hmm, significant words. But it does seem odd when you think of the chronology of events. He'd broken up with Naomi two years before that night.

Here's why it would be strange. Joel and Naomi were together before he met Clem at a party. That was two years ago. In the present (loosely speaking) Clementine impulsively erases Joel and then when he finds out he decides to erase her, 3 days before Valentine's Day, as his neighbor reminds him. The next day he meets her again and that night she gives him her phone number. That night he also calls her as soon as he gets home. So, if the deleted scene had been inserted there, Joel would have had to have been talking to Naomi again before deciding to erase Clementine. I guess that's plausible but he was pretty broken up and confused about losing Clem, he was even trying to win her back - up until the evening he found out about her erasure of him.

They MUST have rearranged the scenes and that's why they deleted the scene. It wouldn't have made sense for Joel to be talking to Naomi in the time between finding out about Lacuna and deciding to erase Clem.

If I remember right:

The way I made sense of it was a general regretfulness/getting his house in order/not wanting to be hurt any further sort of thing. It doesn't quite work OR it's even more frightening, if that's the case. I can sort of see why they pulled it -- it makes him significantly less likable or pathetic (in a symapthetic sense) or something, though they didn't really pull any punches on anyone.

skra75
09-25-2006, 10:39 PM
just watched it again tonight. amazing movie.
if you don't cry during this movie I think you need to check to make sure you have a soul.

skra75
09-25-2006, 10:40 PM
If this service existed would any of you use it?

sometimes I wonder that. probably not, I think I would go "off-map" and become brain dead for sure.

ET
09-25-2006, 10:52 PM
Michel Gondry (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0799934/) is filming a new movie, btw.

Nuzzolese
09-26-2006, 07:53 AM
I saw a preview for it but it looked painfully pretentious and annoying. You know how it is when a movie has too many dream sequences so nothing needs to make sense or have any recognizeable order and meaning and so then you stop caring altogether because it's just a dream anyway? And it looks like the kind of movie with a bunch of cool looking scenes that take place just because they can, because it's a dream. And then you feel like you're not watching a story at all, you're just watching some other kids play with some sweet toys you wish you could be playing with. Namsayin? I don't know though, it could be good.

skra75
09-26-2006, 08:26 AM
I know what you mean and I felt the same way about it when I saw it. But it's more about a fictional scientific prodedure, somehow it reminds me of One Flew Over The Coo-coos Nest or 12 Monkeys or something like that. It's funny and somehow really believeable, makes you think about the imprint people have on your life, what it means, all of that.

sorry I had trouble sleeping last night and now I'm flaky.

ET
09-26-2006, 10:28 AM
Oh, my bad. Science of Sleep (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SjlYOGG_AU) is the movie that's coming out. Be Kind Rewind is the one that's still filming.

Michel is obsessed with dreams and it's influenced just about every music video he's ever made. Especially the Foo Fighter's Everlong video. The preview looks pretty silly and I don't know how it reflects on the final product. I'm interested though. Hopefully it's one of those good surprises.

Nuzzolese
09-26-2006, 10:47 AM
Fred Willard said that Charlotte Gainsbourg falls just short of being pretty. Ha! What a mean thing to say!

ET
09-26-2006, 10:52 AM
Fred Willard is a child molester.

He looks like one.