PDA

View Full Version : sad, sad panda

cookiepuss
09-08-2006, 04:22 PM
awe. Ya-Ya killed her baby on accident. so sad for panda.:(

BEIJING (Reuters) -Staff at a zoo in southwest China are in mourning after a sleep-deprived panda dropped her two-day-old baby and crushed it to death, local media reported on Friday.

"It was very sudden, but also unavoidable," Guo Wei, panda department chief at Chongqing city zoo in the southwestern region of Chongqing, told the Chongqing Business News daily.

Ya Ya, a seven-year-old panda and new mother of twins, "appeared tired" when nursing the younger cub in a patch of grass, the paper said.

Her head sagged, her paws separated and her baby fell to the ground next to her. The panda then rolled on to her side and crushed her baby beneath her.

The tragedy occurred because she hadn't slept or eaten properly since giving birth, Guo said, adding that Ya Ya lacked motherhood experience.

According to Guo, the zoo had tried on several occasions to separate the cub from its mother for their safety, but Ya Ya "was very cautious" and would "roar and bare her teeth" at zoo-keepers.

The elder of the twins was in good health and being cared for, zoo officials said.

But Ya Ya had proved inconsolable, wailing and looking for her baby after its body was taken away from her.

"Pandas who lose their young tend to be depressed for a month or so," Guo said, adding that the zoo would assign people to care for her and provide special food to improve her mood.

--------------------------------------------------

I hope they giver her back her other baby when it's a little older. poor poor panda mommy.

now I'm depressed.

hpdrifter
09-08-2006, 04:45 PM
I read that too and felt very very bad for the poor mommy. She was inexperienced and doing the best she knew how. Its just sad all the way around.

cookiepuss
09-08-2006, 04:55 PM
thing that sucks about pandas is the have such a difficult time reproducing. why the hell is panda sex so difficult? (or maybe I'm unedumacated and they are fine in the wild but don't reproduce well in captivity. I just know it's kind of a big deal when they have cubs cause these zoos spend like 7 years or more trying to get the preggers.)

hpdrifter
09-08-2006, 05:00 PM
Yeah, I don't understand that either. The article I read said something about how they tried to get them to have sex for like 8 years and then they finally did artificial fertilization or something.

Pandas don't find other pandas sexually attractive?:confused:

Echewta
09-08-2006, 05:07 PM
Do you find all men sexually attractive?

hpdrifter
09-08-2006, 05:07 PM
Just you, baby.

The Notorious LOL
09-08-2006, 05:10 PM
pandas are cute and all and thats sad and what not but why the hell is this news? I saw it on cnn and yahoo, too.

Echewta
09-08-2006, 05:10 PM
See. So if other men came into your habitat, you might not want to have babies with them.

I would assume pandas have to have the hots for each other, not just have the right pieces to make babies.

cookiepuss
09-08-2006, 05:14 PM
I remember Robin williams had a bit in his stand up routines about zoo panda's not breeding. and he was impersonating the male panda and said: "Dat the ugliest panda bitch I ever seen!" heh. ah you had to be there.

So like I guess pandas would be extinct without us forcing them to make whoopie and inseminating them and shit. the pandas really should thank us. really.:o

hpdrifter
09-08-2006, 05:14 PM
See. So if other men came into your habitat, you might not want to have babies with them.

I would assume pandas have to have the hots for each other, not just have the right pieces to make babies.

That's fair.

Echewta
09-08-2006, 05:17 PM
Throwing pandas kegs of beer might help. Can't pandas have beer goggels?

HEIRESS
09-08-2006, 05:19 PM
pandie poo poo :(

hpdrifter
09-08-2006, 05:19 PM
Well, then again, they tried to get the pandas to breed for like 8 years. I mean, unless one of the pandas was, like, the worst looking smelliest panda ever, they would grow to like each other. Maybe.

Or maybe the male panda found himself in the "friend zone".

Echewta
09-08-2006, 05:25 PM
Perhaps Ya Ya doesn't like boys to begin with.

cookiepuss
09-08-2006, 05:28 PM
Perhaps Ya Ya doesn't like boys to begin with.

true true...she might be part of the sisterhood.

The Notorious LOL
09-08-2006, 05:30 PM
the sisterhood of traveling panda pants

Echewta
09-08-2006, 05:32 PM
Maybe she fancies brown or black bears. (http://www.bearbearcity.com/video-clips/qt/high-school-romance/)

QueenAdrock
09-08-2006, 05:36 PM
I saw that and almost cried. I know I'd feel awful if I accidentally sat on one of my kids and crushed them to death. But then a few years down the line, I'd learn to laugh. Because, come on. Life is funny.

cookiepuss
09-08-2006, 05:41 PM
I saw that and almost cried. I know I'd feel awful if I accidentally sat on one of my kids and crushed them to death. But then a few years down the line, I'd learn to laugh. Because, come on. Life is funny.

dude, a few years? this pandas gonna be over it in like a month they say! good thing they have a quick rebound and a short memory eh?

QueenAdrock
09-08-2006, 05:47 PM
That is pretty quick.

Oh, and whenever I talk about pandas, I always think of this one. (http://images.southparkstudios.com/media/images/306/306_panda_dance2.gif)

zorra_chiflada
09-08-2006, 06:47 PM
oh god :(