PDA

View Full Version : Share the knowledge

trailerprincess
09-11-2006, 03:27 PM
Musical trivia I have randomly acquired over time

- The Original version of the loco-motion was written by Carole King and Gerry Coffin and sung by their babysitter 'Little Eva', Coffin and King also wrote the song 'He Hit Me (And It Felt Like A Kiss)' Which was sung by the Crystals (and recorded by Phil Spector) and was written about Little Eva's abusive relationship in which she would always forgive her man saying he only hit her because he loved her.

- Marvin Gaye plays the drums on the Marvallettes original version of 'Please Mr Postman' and Little Stevie Wonders 'Fingertips Part III'

- Helter Skelter by the Beatles was recorded at over 25 minutes long and was cut down to its known length shortley before release

- Robert Smith of the Cure played bass for Souisxe & The Banshees for a while

- The Small Faces play the music on the 60's number one 'The First Cut Is The Deepest' by PP Arnold

- 'Manic Monday' by the Bangles was written by Prince under the pseudonym 'Christopher Tracey', On his 1986 album 'Parade', the album opens with the song 'Christopher Tracey's Parade' and ends with 'Sometimes It Snows In April' in which Christopher Tracey is killed off

- Paul McCartney plays the drums on the Beatles songs 'Back In The USSR', 'Dear Prudence' and 'The Ballad Of John & Yoko'

- Johhny Depp plays slide guitar on the Oasis song 'Fade In/Out' and electric guitar on the warchild version of 'Fade Away' (Lisa Moorish also sings backing vocals on this song)

- The anthem for all disprected women everywhere 'Respect' by Queen of soul Aretha Franklin was written by Otis Redding

- Jimmy Page plays the solo on the Kinks 'You Really Got Me'

- No member of the Beach Boys plays a single note of music on 'Pet Sounds'

- 'River Deep, Mountain High' by Ike & Tina Turner & produced by Phil Spector has 78 backing vocals and during her vocal performance Tina ripped her top off due to over excitement.

TAL
09-11-2006, 03:37 PM
- 'Manic Monday' by the Bangles was written by Prince under the pseudonym 'Christopher Tracey', On his 1986 album 'Parade', the album opens with the song 'Christopher Tracey's Parade' and ends with 'Sometimes It Snows In April' in which Christopher Tracey is killed off
Nope, he used only "Christopher" for Manic Monday.

trailerprincess
09-11-2006, 03:40 PM
Nope, he used only "Christopher" for Manic Monday.

hmm - really? I shall have to check my source and then kill them.

thanks for that (y)

brooklyndust
09-11-2006, 03:43 PM
but wait there's more http://www.secondhandsongs.com/home/

trailerprincess
09-11-2006, 03:59 PM
is this one true?

While recording Parade, Prince had a visit from Michael Jackson. Jackson was a bit of a twatt so Prince asked him to play ping pong with him, Prince then fired a ball as hard as possible into jackson's chest. at this point Jackson stormed out leaving Prince to continue recording

Drederick Tatum
09-11-2006, 04:51 PM

hmmmmm, I've never been convinced by this.

roosta
09-11-2006, 04:56 PM
- Playing "Higher and Higher" at loud volume will NOT get the statue of liberty to walk, despite the presence of psycho-reactive ectoplasm.

Ally Al
09-11-2006, 04:56 PM
is this one true?

While recording Parade, Prince had a visit from Michael Jackson. Jackson was a bit of a twatt so Prince asked him to play ping pong with him, Prince then fired a ball as hard as possible into jackson's chest. at this point Jackson stormed out leaving Prince to continue recording

(strokes chin and looks sceptical)

Nivvie
09-12-2006, 12:25 PM
Brian Wilson of the Beach Boys stayed in bed for the best part of four years, whilst depressed.

abcdefz
09-12-2006, 12:34 PM
Musical trivia I have randomly acquired over time

- The Original version of the loco-motion was written by Carole King and Gerry Coffin and sung by their babysitter 'Little Eva', Coffin and King also wrote the

Goffin. Goffin.

- No member of the Beach Boys plays a single note of music on 'Pet Sounds'

Not so: Brian Wilson plays on it.

Jury's still out on this one.

TAL
09-12-2006, 12:45 PM
is this one true?

Never heard that one before.

But Jackson wanted to make a duet with Prince, but when Prince heard that the title was In The Closet he said no.

abcdefz
09-12-2006, 01:04 PM
The original LP shipment of Madonna's Like a Prayer was patchouli-scented.

Buddy Holly won a coin toss which put him on the airplane that crashed. He was flying ahead to get his laundry done.

Mike Nesmith of The Monkees had a bit of financial security to fall back on so he could abstain from the reunion tours and records: his mother invented White-Out.

The Rolling Stones recorded Exile on Main Street in Keith Richards' home, in part so he could use "tucking in his son" (Marlon?) as an excuse to run upstairs, shoot heroin, and nod off.

One of John Lennon's last public concert appearances was the result of a bet: he wagered Elton John that their duet, "Whatever Gets you Through the Night" wouldn't hit #1.

San Perkins sold Elvis Presley's contract to RCA, in large part because he thought Carl Perkins would be a much bigger act.

Elvis Costello recorded most of his first album with most of the members of Clover, who then went on to become (more or less) Huey Lewis and the News.

When Marvin Gaye and his wife divorced, part of the settlement was that she receive the royalties from his next record. Gaye nearly recorded an album of
throwaway material, then quickly recorded a two-record set called Here My Dear. The album art (among other things) featured a Monopoly-like board on the inside called "Judgement" with a man's hand handing over a record platter to a woman's hand.

Once, when Tammy Wynette took away George Jones' alcohol and car keys, George sneaked out of the house, snagged his garden tractor, and drove into town to the nearest bar to quench his thirst.

Ally Al
09-12-2006, 02:09 PM
Never heard that one before.

But Jackson wanted to make a duet with Prince, but when Prince heard that the title was In The Closet he said no.

Prince said that jackson wanted him to play the part that snipes did in the Bad video but he backed out after he heard the "your butt is mine" lyric

i don't know if thats true but i did see Prince say this in an interview

abcdefz
09-12-2006, 02:35 PM
It's creepy cubed that MJ named TWO of his kids "Prince."

yooooo
09-12-2006, 03:11 PM
i invented music