PDA

View Full Version : Experiments in rolling your own

abcdefz
09-13-2006, 09:16 AM
...so Three Castles cigarette tobacco isn't availble in the US anymore because that company didn't want to pitch into the legal fund so consumers can sue cigarette companies because their product works, etc.

So I found a shop that has a limited variety of cigarette tobacco, bought some papers and filters and have been having a go at it myself.

So far, my favorite is "London Export" with a little Turkish blend mixed in -- about 3:1.

There's also "Norwegian Shag" (sp?), and some others... I think I've tried five tobaccos so far.

Still kind of getting the hang of how much tobacco to roll -- most cigarettes I tend to overpack, I think, and my latest versions are too loose.

Just wondering if anybody else rolls their own, what tobacco(s) they like, and, especially if they buy in the USA, where they get their stuff. Choices are pretty limited around here.

Just curious

na§tee
09-13-2006, 09:27 AM
everyone i know smokes rollies. but then again they are all vaguely student-ish and poor. my flatmates once spilt the ashtray full of stubbies on the floor (yay know, finished roll-ups that still have a wee bit of tobacco left that you can't really smoke) and so they hoovered it up. but they ran out of tobacco a few days later and, yes, this is disgusting, they emptied the hoover, picked out the stubbies, took them apart and made "new" complete cigarettes with them. gross! i'm so glad i'm not a smoker.

they smoke drum and golden virginia.

i don't really think they're for connoisseurs! um, like, at all.

but good luck with your quest! i would send you some for christmas if you're my secret santa-ee, hehe.

icy manipulator
09-13-2006, 09:37 AM
when it comes to rollies, remember, less is more. you never wanna over pack. but i smoke tailors so it's not my thing. tried rollies for a while but i was useless at rolling and i didn't like the taste anyway

abcdefz
09-13-2006, 09:42 AM
Yeah -- I'm not nuts about Drum or Bugle tobacco, but some of this other stuff is really nice and flavorful and not harsh like your regular store-bought cigarettes are.

Yes, nastee -- I know that scene. Never got as far as exorcising butts from a vacuum cleaner, though. A trash bin -- sure. :o

QueenAdrock
09-13-2006, 09:47 AM
I don't smoke but they've got a few tobacco places around here. Tobacco's super cheap some places in Virginia (obviously), more expensive in MD but still not too bad. I've only been in one to buy a couple of cheap cigars to take to the beach. The guy was patronizing, saying that since I was a girl, I'd probably like these vanilla stogies they had. :rolleyes:

i bought 3 :(

venusvenus123
09-13-2006, 09:48 AM
stop smoking for crying out loud! :(

Teh
09-13-2006, 09:49 AM
I quite liked golden virginia, but amber leaf has been my choice of late.

I'm not a serious smoker though, only every now and then or whenever i'm offered wan. I don't touch packets of cigarettes though, the 'pre-rolled' if you will. They give you sticky yellow tar hands.

icy manipulator
09-13-2006, 09:51 AM
I don't touch packets of cigarettes though, the 'pre-rolled' if you will. They give you sticky yellow tar hands.
wouldn't your hands be worse from rollies because your hands go directly onto the tobacco?

abcdefz
09-13-2006, 09:52 AM
If not for cigarette papers, rolling your own would make smoking incredibly inexpensive. I swear.

As it is, I think I'm spending about fifteen cents per cigarette this way as opposed to twenty to twenty-five cents buying them in packs. And the smoke is way better, so that's cool.

It's a little time-consuming, rolling my own, but I can roll about one per minute right now, and that's without much practice.

I had a friend in college who could deftly roll cigarettes one-handed. Yow.

abcdefz
09-13-2006, 09:53 AM
wouldn't your hands be worse from rollies because your hands go directly onto the tobacco?

I think the smoke releases the tar or nicotine; that's why.

Teh
09-13-2006, 09:56 AM

I dunno, it's just occured to me i'm the only person i know who smokes rollups on a near-regular basis, but friends of mine who've been smoking since they were like 15/16 (not rollups) have yellow fingers.

Maybe the tar content is lower in the tobacco im using. No idea though.

abcdefz
09-13-2006, 09:59 AM
Come to think of it, I'm just the opposte. I started getting stains on my nails when I started smoking home-rolled cigs.

icy manipulator
09-13-2006, 10:00 AM
ah ok, well i heard ppl who get yellow fingers either smoke a shitload of tailors or just smoke a normal amount of rollies. i dont get any discolouration but i dont smoke that much. just one pack during the week and one for the weekend

icy manipulator
09-13-2006, 10:39 AM
dang, i just pulled the cherry out of mine acciently. fuck that hurt:mad:

Nivvie
09-13-2006, 10:56 AM
Back when I was little I had a rollie machine, although they were still crap as it's not one of my talents.

There's nothing cooler than being able to roll a mean fag, and speaking of stains, that yellow quiff thing older smokers get is just amazing. That's like, nearly natural blonde.

Teh
10-04-2006, 04:26 PM
yo, not one for bouncing old threads but i recently heard of flavoured rolling paper - chiefly of the coconut variety.

anyone seen it? it could be interesting. i remember a mtae had one of those wierd brass smoking thingies from the middle east back in the day and he had apple tobacco which was fucking ace.

Teh
10-04-2006, 04:29 PM
actually its probably a bit gay isnt it?

Lex Diamonds
10-04-2006, 04:37 PM
I don't mind a bit of Golden Virginia but my preferred baccy is Drum. I can't smoke Amber Leaf or Cutter's Choice or any of those cheaper ones without feeling ill. I hardly ever smoke roll-ups anyway, I just prefer the taste and convenience of normal cigs.

Big Gus
10-04-2006, 04:39 PM
I just smoke pre rolled now. I can still roll a mean... er... jazz cigarette.

When I rolled my own, even for just a few months, I got really bad stains on my fingers. I used Golden Virginnia. most people seem to smoke Drum around here.

Teh
10-04-2006, 04:40 PM
I don't mind a bit of Golden Virginia but my preferred baccy is Drum. I can't smoke Amber Leaf or Cutter's Choice or any of those cheaper ones without feeling ill. I hardly ever smoke roll-ups anyway, I just prefer the taste and convenience of normal cigs.

i've started on drum rather than virginia but its not available at my local place, so i have to get it in town. not much trouble these days since im in uni anyway

Planetary
10-04-2006, 04:47 PM
in the market in my town theres a tabacco where you can get pretty much ad flavour tobacco you want. it's pretty cool for weed.

Teh
10-04-2006, 04:48 PM
i keep meaning to hit up the barras and see if i can get my hands on any interesting bits and pieces, that might be worth a bash

hey planetary your remixes are pretty good yo (y)

Planetary
10-04-2006, 04:53 PM
i keep meaning to hit up the barras and see if i can get my hands on any interesting bits and pieces, that might be worth a bash

hey planetary your remixes are pretty good yo (y)

thanks a lot :)(y)

Guy Incognito
10-04-2006, 05:20 PM
It's better to roll your own rather than buy prerolled cigs. Strange to say, but it is a tad bit healthier...from what I hear anyway.

Dunno about that, on the one hand i think there are a load of chemicals in the filter in prerolleds but smokin an unfiltered cig is 3 to 5 times the nicotine intake.

Planetary
10-04-2006, 05:25 PM
Dunno about that, on the one hand i think there are a load of chemicals in the filter in prerolleds but smokin an unfiltered cig is 3 to 5 times the nicotine intake.

if you smoke a rollie with a swan filter or whatever its considerable healthier.

they add chemicals and toxicants themselves to make them more addictive or something unbeleiveable

Guy Incognito
10-04-2006, 05:30 PM
if you smoke a rollie with a swan filter or whatever its considerable healthier.

they add chemicals and toxicants themselves to make them more addictive or something unbeleiveable

I watched some programme last year and some boffin worked out that it was actually a combination of the chemicals used to store the tobacco that makes them addictive. So a company brought out some cigs that were "healthliy stored" and therefore at least less adictive, they tried to sell them to the big cig firms and got told to fuck right off.

Planetary
10-04-2006, 05:34 PM
I watched some programme last year and some boffin worked out that it was actually a combination of the chemicals used to store the tobacco that makes them addictive. So a company brought out some cigs that were "healthliy stored" and therefore at least less adictive, they tried to sell them to the big cig firms and got told to fuck right off.

yeah cigarette company's are pretty sick. oh well :(

Guy Incognito
10-04-2006, 05:36 PM
yeah cigarette company's are pretty sick. oh well :(

They'll be even sicker if the weed is legalised (not that i want it to be but thats another story), they got all kinds of ways of taking lots of money off us for that already.