PDA

View Full Version : Best live album tourney

abcdefz
09-15-2006, 12:28 PM
...I thought we had a thread for "Best Live Albums," but I can't find it straight off, so let's start over with new rules anyway.

I want to wind up having a tourney, so here's the deal:

1) Nominate what you think are the best live albums. No more than, say, fifteen nominations per board member.

2) Live albums, for the sake of our tourney, are recordings of an artist performing in front of an audience in a concert setting.

So, for instance, even though Robert Johnson recorded all of his stuff live, none of it was in a concert setting, so he doesn't qualify.

They can be patched together from various appearances, though. (Iin other words, it doesn't need to be arecording of just one show, start to finish.)

3) Live albums which receive two or more nominations from two or more board members will go on to participate in the tourney.

4) All qualifying nominations go into a hat and face-offs are drawn randomly. This can cause havoc, obviously, if Probable Live Album #1 and #2 wind up facing off in the first round, leaving the field wide open for a nominal contender like 9012Live!, but so be it.

5) If you're Glen Frey and just start creating aliases to nominate Eagles Live, we'll sniff that right out, don't worry. (Though I did like the eagle-eggs-as-hand-grenades thing.)

6) Oh yeah -- rock, soul, rap, R&B. No jazz, no classical, no pop vocals (i.e. Sinatra, Vaughan).

7) Vote for albums in their original form: no with bonus CD cuts, etc. And not DVD versions (so, if you're voting for Stop Making Sense, you're voting for the original -- not the movie, not the re-released, overstuffed CD set, etc.)

Okay. Go for it!

-- or don't, if you're just not interested.

Nominations close whenever I get online first after midnight, Pacific Whatever Time, Saturday, September 16, Year of My Lawd! 2006.

abcdefz
09-15-2006, 12:40 PM
Okay, off the top of my head:

Live at the Star Club, Hamburg - Jerry Lee Lewis

Get Yer Ya Ya's Out - Rolling Stones

Live at the Apollo - James Brown

Stand in the Fire - Warren Zevon

Live in Europe - Otis Redding

Live '69 - The Velvet Underground (I have to go with the two-record set, since the CDs were issued seperately)

Live at Leeds - The Who

Live at Budakon - Cheap Trick

Hammersmith Odeon, London '75 - Bruce Springsteen

Live at San Quentin - Johnny Cash

Ally Al
09-15-2006, 12:40 PM
KISS ALIVE II

Ally Al
09-15-2006, 12:47 PM
Parliament - the p-funk earth tour live

mickill
09-15-2006, 01:03 PM
What's going on here?

I agree with Live at the Apollo and Get Yer Ya Ya's Out.

Townes Van Zandt's Live at the Old Quarter is probably my favorite live album ever, though.

Ally Al
09-15-2006, 01:04 PM
[QUOTE=abcdefz No jazz[/QUOTE]

racist

DroppinScience
09-15-2006, 01:08 PM
I really liked The Clash's "From Here To Eternity."

And hell yes to James Brown's "Live at the Apollo" and Johnny Cash's "Live at Folsom Prison" and "Live at San Quentin" are pure gems.

I'll think of more when I get home.

abcdefz
09-15-2006, 01:14 PM
racist

Not at all. If you want to do I best jazz live album, I'm in.

With zero categorical distinctions, I mean... you really want Sonny Rollins' Village Vanguard versus Klemperer's Beethoven 5th versus Allman Brothers at Fillmore east versus Nikhil Banerjee's Misa Kafi?

P.S. -- isn't it racist to assume that... what're you assuming? That only black people perfrom jazz, or... what?

Ally Al
09-15-2006, 01:36 PM
Not at all. If you want to do I best jazz live album, I'm in.

With zero categorical distinctions, I mean... you really want Sonny Rollins' Village Vanguard versus Klemperer's Beethoven 5th versus Allman Brothers at Fillmore east versus Nikhil Banerjee's Misa Kafi?

P.S. -- isn't it racist to assume that... what're you assuming? That only black people perfrom jazz, or... what?

it was a joke

Documad
09-15-2006, 01:52 PM
I can't access my vinyl to spur my memory on account of remodeling. :(

X - Live in Los Angeles
Neil Young - Live Rust
Soul Asylum - After the Flood
Talking Heads - Stop Making Sense
U2 - A Sort of Homecoming (I'm nominating it just because of Bad)
Rolling Stones - Ya Yas.
The Band - The Last Waltz (this is stretching the genre but you can omit the non-Band performances if you like) :)
Mariah Carey - Unplugged (yes, that's what I said -- and I haven't listened to her since)

abcdefz
09-15-2006, 01:59 PM
U2 - A Sort of Homecoming (I'm nominating it just because of Bad)

Is that a bootleg? Or is it Wide Awake in America? Or -- ?

Hell -- I didn't even think about bootlegs.

The Band - The Last Waltz (this is stretching the genre but you can omit the non-Band performances if you like) :)

That's not stretching it at all, if that's what you like. I thought about this one, too, and would probably pick it if I got to trim a few songs.

"The Last Waltz Suite" and "Theme" make it a little tricky, though.

Documad
09-15-2006, 02:07 PM
Is that a bootleg? Or is it Wide Awake in America? Or -- ?
Oops. You're correct. A Sort of Homecoming is on there, but it's not the title. :p

Yeah, and I love the Theme from the Last Waltz but that wasn't part of the concert. :( I was trying to remember whether any of the Band's songs weren't live. Evangeline wasn't, but I was already striking that because it's an Emmylou song. I still think that if you give me even a few of the Band's songs that are clearly live, it deserves to be on my list but it might not get to be in the tourney.

abcdefz
09-15-2006, 02:21 PM
Oops. You're correct. A Sort of Homecoming is on there, but it's not the title. :p

Yeah, and I love the Theme from the Last Waltz but that wasn't part of the concert. :( I was trying to remember whether any of the Band's songs weren't live. Evangeline wasn't, but I was already striking that because it's an Emmylou song. I still think that if you give me even a few of the Band's songs that are clearly live, it deserves to be on my list but it might not get to be in the tourney.

That whole "Last Waltz Suite" was studio stuff -- the theme, "The Well," "Evangeline," "The Weight," and "Out of the Blue."

Rock of Ages didn't really rock like The Last Waltz stuff did. And clipping that Last Waltz live version of "Don't Do It" is a HUGE HUGE sin. :mad:

minorthreat
09-17-2006, 06:59 AM
Before the Flood - Bob Dylan

Live @ the Key Club - Pennywise

SobaViolence
09-17-2006, 12:48 PM
Live from Mars - Ben Harper
Live at Folsom Prison - Johnny Cash
Live from Planet X - MF Doom

yooooo
09-17-2006, 12:56 PM
Live from Planet X - MF Doom
(y) (y)

saz
09-18-2006, 02:22 PM
cream-royal albert hall; live cream, vol.'s 1 and 2; wheels of fire;
humble pie-performance: rockin' the fillmore live
jeff beck-with the jan hammer group live; beck, bogart and appice live; live beck!
jimi hendrix-band of gypsies
led zeppelin-how the west was won; the song remains the same
pink floyd-live at pompeii, ummagumma
spiritualized-live at royal albert hall
rolling stones-ladies and gentlemen

abcdefz
09-18-2006, 02:28 PM
Thanks for the suggestions, folks.

We don't really have enough for a proper tourney, so just post as you like, if you like.

icy manipulator
09-18-2006, 02:44 PM
hmm, the only live album that i've ever bought is RATM live at the grand olympic auditorium

DIGI
09-18-2006, 02:59 PM
cream-royal albert hall; live cream, vol.'s 1 and 2; wheels of fire;
jeff beck-with the jan hammer group live; beck, bogart and appice live; live beck!
pink floyd-live at pompeii, ummagumma

(y)

ween--Live at Stubb's

Just bought it so I'm not really sure of it's awesomeness, but it has Sketches of Winkle, Homo Rainbow, and the ever-famous, Put the Coke on My Dick on it, so it kinda has to be great.

YoungRemy
09-18-2006, 03:01 PM
ive been into Joni Mitchell's Miles of Aisles lately...

dave790
09-18-2006, 03:04 PM
oasis - familiar to millions

roosta
09-18-2006, 04:31 PM
Jay-Z "Unplugged"

Do DJ sets count? If so..DJ Shadow "In Tune and On Time"

icy manipulator
09-18-2006, 04:45 PM
Jay-Z "Unplugged"

Do DJ sets count? If so..DJ Shadow "In Tune and On Time"
if so then damn i can think of a shitload. The whole Global Underground series for starters.....