PDA

View Full Version : shazam! remix

bassdriver
09-25-2006, 12:14 AM
hey guys
I did a jazzy remix of shazam! this weekend. spent a lot of time in programming this beat.
check it out on:

http://www.beastiemixes.com/bassdriver.htm

Equipment used for this one: 6 string resonator guitar - neumann tube mic - oktava ribbon mic - logic audio platinum - delta 10/10 soundcard - akai S 6000 - Lexicon 200 Reverb - Orban 424A compressor - WSW dynamik begrenzer - Tascam M 3700 mixer.

silence7
09-25-2006, 01:09 AM
You've got more equipment than the local pawn broker ;) Awesome Mix.. Sounds like a bunch of guys in a lounge just bustin' it out live in front of a bunch of drunk old men. And I mean that in a good way.

Silence7

bassdriver
09-25-2006, 02:05 AM
You've got more equipment than the local pawn broker ;) Awesome Mix.. Sounds like a bunch of guys in a lounge just bustin' it out live in front of a bunch of drunk old men. And I mean that in a good way.

Silence7Well I am the local pawn broker - and as long as these bums won't get the money to redeem their gear I am doing some more beastieremixes.

Thanks for hosting it again. You're the man !! (no not the drunk old man)

silence7
09-25-2006, 02:21 AM
(no not the drunk old man)

On the contrary, I AM the drunk old man. :p

psx
09-25-2006, 05:09 PM
Smooth like butta! Did you get that killer bass sound out of your guitar or is that a bass? Sick!

psx

ps. I'll do the heavy drinking around here... got that? ;)

Tammeloeki
09-26-2006, 12:49 AM
This is great...I wanted to do something like this but i couldnt get the sound just right...You did it however so i can only give you r.e.s.t.e.c.p.

Tricky Dick

Tammeloeki
09-26-2006, 09:40 AM
P.S. Bassdriver where do you get all that stuff from, are you running a studio or just incredibly rich?

Greetings from curious George a.k.a. Tricky Dick

Brian Aranda
09-26-2006, 12:06 PM
Rock da ass remix.

Mega props

bassdriver
09-26-2006, 12:40 PM
Hi guys. Thanks for all your replays.

Tricky:
I am neither rich nor running a studio. I'm just a working man for more than 20 years now and have always invested my money in records, books and studio gear. Most of the stuff that I own is second hand. through the digitalization of music production there was a lot of analog gear around for very good prices.

PSX:
I will make this a little technic thread to explain where this bass sound comes from.

the basic idea of synthesizers and later on samplers was to replace expensive orchestras and musicians with just one machine. old synths sounds pretty ridiculous when you imagine that they should sound like strings or saxophones or flutes or whatever. but they were very impressing in the sixties/seventies.
After the akai samplers became a studio standard there was also a big requirement for sounds for these machines. so they started to record single tones of instruments with different keystrokes and different dynamics. first sold on diskettes then on the so called AKAI CD-ROM. today you can find thousands of AKAI CD's with string, drums, drum loops, brass, basses, noise, you name it. all the great sounds you hear in movies or the bad sounds you hear in commercials are mostly taken from these CD-ROMs. This is also the reason why most outboard samplers (like Emu) or the good plug in samplers can read the akai format.

so to finally reply to your question. the bass sound is from an akai cd-rom. It's a single tone which I think is recorded from a real double bass. this makes it possible to play the double bass on your keyboard and have the impression of "the real sound". the flute and the vibes in this remix are also multi layered akai rom sounds.

by the way: the drum sound on my remixes is from a rogers drum set that I set up at my home studio. I recorded all the single hits on snare, toms, hi hat.... and made my own akai drum kit out of this. A hell of a work.....

Tammeloeki
09-26-2006, 12:43 PM
Thats a strange coincidence i have a sampled akai drumset too...But for real drumming i am using a Roland TD6v

DustSucker
09-26-2006, 03:32 PM
Fucking insane stuff! I love the jazzy atmosphere in this one :eek: Drums sound so fucking realistic (y) great job!!

-DxSx

psx
09-26-2006, 10:04 PM
Thanks for the explanation! I kind of knew most of that, just not that it was so Akai-centric. What I mean is... I get how you can record a single note or whatever and play it back with a sampler. It's just that the bass has that cool resonating (think that's the word I'm looking for) effect.. like how you can hear the strings buzzing against the frets a bit.

Either way, killer track!

psx

CosmoKramer
09-27-2006, 12:07 AM
Fuckin:eek: Awesome(y) , man:cool: .

bassdriver
09-27-2006, 02:22 PM
It's just that the bass has that cool resonating (think that's the word I'm looking for) effect.. like how you can hear the strings buzzing against the frets a bit. psx I love the resonating of acoustic instruments too. That's kind of my goal to produce digital with an almost analog sound. warmth is another word for this. and then I compressed the shit out of this bass with an old german broadcast compressor (the WSW). I think that was pushing the string noise to the front.

bassdriver
09-27-2006, 02:36 PM
mates
I'm pretty overwhelmed with all your compliments. thanks thanks thanks.
so let's raise the glass for the beastie boys and for silence7 for making all this happen.

cheers.

hey psx I said the glass NOT THE BOTTLE!!!!!!!!!

psx
09-27-2006, 05:02 PM
Consider my glass raised... a couple times. Oh hell... who are we kidding... give me that bottle.

psx

silence7
09-27-2006, 09:46 PM
Go Beasties!!!! I wish they'd release some new A Cappellas though. Because you guys aren't nearly busy enough with the ones already out ;) :p

Thanks for the thanks on my small part in all of this. You guys are doing most of the work. So a pint of Guinness raised high to you guys.

Silence7