PDA

View Full Version : Albums you haven't listened to in a while that hold up well

abcdefz
09-27-2006, 08:34 AM
See what's refreshingly fresh.

I hadn't listened to Los Lobos' Kiko in years, probably. Just one of those things. Threw it on the other day and have been playing it a lot; this is a great album.

What great stuff has worked its way back from the back of the bin in your collection?

chrisd
09-27-2006, 08:51 AM
the first black sheep... "listen to me honey, honey listen here please: if sexy were a virus - you'd have a disease... finally finally we got uptown and when we got uptown honey's drawer's came down. Did the audiovisual, she had the residuals, bah bah black sheep now tell me: have you any pull?"

Rock
09-27-2006, 08:55 AM
I recently put Slayer: Seasons in the Abyss and Grant Green: Blue Breakbeats back in the mix. I forgot how good they were. I have probably listened to each album 2 times a day since saturday.

abcdefz
09-27-2006, 09:06 AM
It's a little sad to go back to an album you loved and find it hasn't held up well, so rediscovering gems is a happy thing. (y)

mickill
09-27-2006, 09:37 AM
Layla And Other Assorted Love Songs by Derek & The Dominoes.....Hadn't listened to it in about a year. I think it's near flawless.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot - Wilco.....I still think it's better than Being There and Summerteeth, despite what critics say. I should probably give this a spin sometime, actually, since it's been about a year and a half since I heard it last. I might not even like it anymore for all I know.

The Predator - Ice Cube.....I hadn't listened to it in awhile up until recently. But I was a huge fan of his growing up. When I first heard this album, the very morning it was released, I thought (like pretty much everyone did at the time) that he completely fell off (but he waited til Lethal Injection). It's still nowhere near as tight of an album as Death Certificate and Amerrikkka's Most Wanted, but it actually has better overall songs, I'd say. And it's probably Cube's best vocals-wise.

trailerprincess
09-27-2006, 09:49 AM
I recently rediscovered Tricky's Maxinquaye and Dummy by Portishead. I remember buying these on tape when they first came out and didn't bother replacing them on cd/vinyl when my tape player broke for the last time. I finally bought them on sale a couple of months ago and I still feel that they are both classic albums.

RoryMC
09-27-2006, 10:02 AM
Television -- Marquee Moon
Wire -- Pink Flag
Spoon -- Girls Can Tell
Joy Division -- Unknown Pleasures

etc etc....

abcdefz
09-27-2006, 10:06 AM
I recently rediscovered Tricky's Maxinquaye

I just snagged this from a bargain bin the other day. Sampled it at the store, took it home. I'd never heard it before. Very good stuff. (y) (y) (y)

Rock
09-27-2006, 10:09 AM
The Real Thing - Faith No More

trailerprincess
09-27-2006, 10:12 AM
I just snagged this from a bargain bin the other day. Sampled it at the store, took it home. I'd never heard it before. Very good stuff. (y) (y) (y)

:cool: Suffocated Love is probably one of the sexiest songs ever recorded. When I listen to it I always think of being in darkness, under a really warm duvet. The cover of Black Steel is interesting too...

abcdefz
09-27-2006, 10:13 AM
Layla And Other Assorted Love Songs by Derek & The Dominoes.....Hadn't listened to it in about a year. I think it's near flawless.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot - Wilco.....I still think it's better than Being There and Summerteeth, despite what critics say. I should probably give this a spin sometime, actually, since it's been about a year and a half since I heard it last. I might not even like it anymore for all I know.

I'm not big on Being there, but I give Summerteeth the edge over YHF. They're both pretty great, though.

Layla is fantastic. This makes me want to listen to nthat Derekandthedominoes live album again. I remembered thinking it was.... okay. But that's about, jeez... 20 years ago that I heard it?

Television -- Marquee Moon

ohboyohboyohboy (y)

mickill
09-27-2006, 10:14 AM
Spoon -- Girls Can Tell

I wanted to mention that, but I actually listen to it at least every two months or so. I don't think I ever really forget how much I like it. I still don't get what the big deal about Marquee Moon is, though.

I think I liked the second Portishead album better than Dummy. It was a little darker, but the music was phenomenal.

abcdefz
09-27-2006, 10:14 AM
:cool: Suffocated Love is probably one of the sexiest songs ever recorded. When I listen to it I always think of being in darkness, under a really warm duvet. The cover of Black Steel is interesting too...

I missed most all of this stuff, so I suppose I need to go back and hear Massive Attack now, too. :o

trailerprincess
09-27-2006, 10:18 AM
hahaha! yeah, go for Protection and Blue Lines to start with. I think after then they generally went a bit off-track, bar a couple of exceptions. There's also Massive Attack collection which covers off all the hits too.

Guy Incognito
09-27-2006, 11:05 AM
hahaha! yeah, go for Protection and Blue Lines to start with. I think after then they generally went a bit off-track, bar a couple of exceptions. There's also Massive Attack collection which covers off all the hits too.

Agreed but as well as the first two , mezzanine is well worth a listen, Angel and teardrop were two of their best, I wouldnt get anything else after that though if i were you

Guy Incognito
09-27-2006, 11:08 AM
Field Trip to Plant 9 - Justin Warfield, hadnt listened to that for nearly 10 years. Top banana!

The second Coming - Stone roses, i listen to the first one all the time but dug out this the other day and its fuckin great still. It was always gonna sound a bit of an anti climax but its got some class on it

Gotta say I agree with mickill on the marquee moon issue, never seen the appeal, pretty ordinary sound.

abcdefz
09-27-2006, 11:19 AM
Thanks for the Massive Attack tips, folks.

Marquee Moon was one of those records that took me, like, three buys before I kind of got it. When it finally clicked, I was like, "Ohhhhhhhhhhh!"

Now I need to probably get that stupid expanded edition. :mad:

Kid Presentable
09-27-2006, 11:25 AM
Exodus - I completely took this for granted, as there's not a bad moment on the album. I've been playing it all day today.

The first G-Love album, where you can hear the shit that countless 'hip' roots musicians went after to try and call their own. Man, this holds up well.

I keep going back to Heltah Skeltah's 'Magnum Force' album, too. Just because.

Guy Incognito
09-27-2006, 11:33 AM
Marquee Moon was one of those records that took me, like, three buys before I kind of got it. When it finally clicked, I was like, "Ohhhhhhhhhhh!"

:

Just checkin i understood you here:

You bought marquee moon - didnt like it. Then you must have given it away or lost it/had it nicked
THEN you bought it again even tho you had heard it and didnt like it you spemt money on it again and found that you didnt like it.Then you must have given it away or lost it/had it nicked or used it as a frisbee or something
THEN you bought it again even tho you had bought it TWICE and didnt like it and this time you thought hey its shit hot.

Explain yourself please

abcdefz
09-27-2006, 11:36 AM
Just checkin i understood you here:

You bought marquee moon - didnt like it. Then you must have given it away or lost it/had it nicked
THEN you bought it again even tho you had heard it and didnt like it you spemt money on it again and found that you didnt like it.Then you must have given it away or lost it/had it nicked or used it as a frisbee or something
THEN you bought it again even tho you had bought it TWICE and didnt like it and this time you thought hey its shit hot.

Explain yourself please

I trade stuff back in if it doesn't do anything for me.

abcdefz
09-27-2006, 11:37 AM
The first G-Love album, where you can hear the shit that countless 'hip' roots musicians went after to try and call their own. Man, this holds up well.

The things I used to do.... I don do NO MOWUH

Kid Presentable
09-27-2006, 11:40 AM
The things I used to do.... I don do NO MOWUH
But shit, I mean it's good, no?

abcdefz
09-27-2006, 11:42 AM
A lot of it is. I'd need to listen to it again. I remember wishing the whole album were as good as its best bits, because the best of it is spot-on. (y)

Kid Presentable
09-27-2006, 11:48 AM
A week or so ago I got Redman's 'Muddy Waters' out. It's easily my favourite Redman album. And although it's not as old, I'm still surprised by how much I enjoy Elephant after not hearing it for ages.

One album that kinda bothers me, in that it loses its impact, is the first Wu-Tang album. It's just not as good as I remember.

abcdefz
09-27-2006, 11:49 AM
I need to buy Funky Kingston again.

Jitters
09-27-2006, 12:32 PM
A week or so ago I got Redman's 'Muddy Waters' out. It's easily my favourite Redman album. And although it's not as old, I'm still surprised by how much I enjoy Elephant after not hearing it for ages.

One album that kinda bothers me, in that it loses its impact, is the first Wu-Tang album. It's just not as good as I remember.

I always enjoy Enter the Wu-Tang no matter how long I've had it, none of their other stuff even compares to it.

buddmonkey
09-27-2006, 12:35 PM
The Pharcyde - LabCabinCalifornia

Hadn't checked it out in a while, but for some reason threw it on the other day... It is still in the CD player...

Guy Incognito
09-27-2006, 12:37 PM
I trade stuff back in if it doesn't do anything for me.

Oh ok, I wasnt havin a go, i think its cool that you will give stuff another go. More power to you! I kinda make my mind up after a few listens, there has only been a few albums that i didnt like at least a little bit that later on I have thought hey thats actually not bad.

yooooo
09-27-2006, 12:45 PM
I always enjoy Enter the Wu-Tang no matter how long I've had it, none of their other stuff even compares to it.

ditto...

ive been listening to dr. octagon again!
the lyrics make me lol sometimes...

abcdefz
09-27-2006, 12:50 PM
Oh ok, I wasnt havin a go, i think its cool that you will give stuff another go. More power to you! I kinda make my mind up after a few listens, there has only been a few albums that i didnt like at least a little bit that later on I have thought hey thats actually not bad.

I'll do that from time to time. Like, maybe I heard it again under a different circumstance and gave it another go (I sold Drums and Wires which later absolutely floored me at a party; still left me limp when I bought it again).

More likely, if something's considered "a classic" and I didn't think much of it, I'll still check it out now and again to see if I've grown into it (Marquee Moon is a good musical example; Some Like it Hot is a movie I still don't like; Hemingway is a writer whose stuff I mostly can't stand). 50,000,000 Elvis fans can be wrong, but if it's me against 50,000,000, I'd at least like to give them the benefit of the doubt every few years.

yeahwho
09-27-2006, 01:22 PM
There are a couple I would like to listen to, whenever I can find the time.

REM - Document (just to see if it still holds up)
Pink Floyd - Meddle
Dinosaur Jr. - Where You Been

I used to travel daily for work (sometimes hours) and I would listen to full discs. Now before I go on a long cruise I make up a quick mix set, it usually will have small sets within of a favorite artist. Not full albums.

The internets has really put the hex on my attention span :mad: I usually only listen to random songlists that more and more have no theme whatsoever or stylized musical genre. I'd like to think I'm cultured, but really I'm just turning into a cheap musical slut. :)

abcdefz
09-27-2006, 01:24 PM
...I always thought Document was REM's weakest album up 'til then. There's so much filler, I never understood all the love it got.

yeahwho
09-27-2006, 01:31 PM
...I always thought Document was REM's weakest album up 'til then. There's so much filler, I never understood all the love it got.

Maybe...whenever I listen to it again I'll tell ya, it's been at least 5 years and I've only heard it on the radio or in a movie or something once or twice since.

I thought it was great when I first bought it, mumbles was not quite beginning to annunciate at that time.......

abcdefz
09-27-2006, 01:45 PM
Let us know.

For my money, their best album is still Lifes Rich Pageant. (y)

saz
09-27-2006, 02:43 PM
The second Coming - Stone roses, i listen to the first one all the time but dug out this the other day and its fuckin great still. It was always gonna sound a bit of an anti climax but its got some class on it

anti-climax? because they didn't do the same thing as the first time around? i gotta disagree. it's one the best rock albums released in recent years.

meddle is outstanding and highly underrated.

yeahwho
09-27-2006, 02:47 PM
I liked the jangly and the incoherent words era of REM, I saw them live in the early 90's and actually walked out, not unusual though for me. If a band starts to bite live I can hardly stand to watch them lay an egg....

another thread idea "Which concerts have you walked out on?"

RoryMC
09-27-2006, 02:52 PM
XTC -- Skylarking

Drederick Tatum
09-27-2006, 03:53 PM
anti-climax? because they didn't do the same thing as the first time around? i gotta disagree. it's one the best rock albums released in recent years.

wasn't it released over a decade ago?...I'd agree that it was anti-climatic, just because the first one was so awesome and they took 5 years(!!) to put another out, so the anticipation was huge.

saz
09-27-2006, 04:04 PM
yeah it was and i was gonna say the last decade or so, but meh who cares. if they did what everyone was wanting and expecting, ie the exact same scenario as the s/t, then people would've been complaining that they're unable to switch up their sound, they're stuck in the baggy days and that they're unable to progress and evolve. the second coming is a disgusting onslaught of sheer mindblowing blues rock and the overall contrast with the s/t is brilliant. and it didn't take that long...one love came out in '90 and they were still touring and very active. the silvertone court case hit in '91, which bogged them down for over a year and they couldn't record or release anything. love spreads was released in late '94, with the album following in early '95.

Guy Incognito
09-27-2006, 04:34 PM

Its top and i liked the fact that their sound went somewhere different from the first album but its the fact that its not got that stamp of total quality from beginning to end. some of it sounds rushed (weird considering it took five years to make), some of the songs are a bit self indulgent- basically its got a couple of fillers and weak tracks (something that brown and squire have both admitted) andthe first album still stands as one if the greats

saz
09-27-2006, 04:36 PM
it didn't take five years, that's a total misconception...it only took them from '92-'94. self-indulgent? because they're brilliant musicians? nah. granted though squire's lyrics on tears and ten storey aren't the greatest. i know that brown was at first really embarrassed by them. anyways, where'd they admit that about the album?

Drederick Tatum
09-27-2006, 05:45 PM
and it didn't take that long...one love came out in '90 and they were still touring and very active. the silvertone court case hit in '91, which bogged them down for over a year and they couldn't record or release anything. love spreads was released in late '94, with the album following in early '95.

sure there were events in between. but there's a big diffrence between releasing a couple of deluxe singles/mini EPs and an actual album.

Ally Al
09-27-2006, 06:07 PM
it didn't take five years, that's a total misconception...it only took them from '92-'94. self-indulgent? because they're brilliant musicians? nah. granted though squire's lyrics on tears and ten storey aren't the greatest. i know that brown was at first really embarrassed by them. anyways, where'd they admit that about the album?

ian brown has said it many times in interviews that squires took over on the second coming and thats why it's so guitar orientated, it wasn't the album he wanted to make. It's totally self indulgent on squires part and thats why the guitars are at the forefront of the album. I like the second coming but if you think it in anyway compares to the stone roses you're out of your fucking mind. They should've dropped the second album at the time of fools gold and what the world is waiting for, now that would've been an album to remember

Ally Al
09-27-2006, 06:17 PM
one love came out in '90 and they were still touring and very active.

1990, still touring and very active ? do you mean one gig in the uk at spike island ? I was there, were you ?

DroppinScience
09-27-2006, 10:50 PM
I was just listening to all The Doors' albums for the first time in quite awhile and those albums held up extremely well.

The debut is flawless as always. The weak link is "The Soft Parade" but even that album is slowly getting better.

QueenAdrock
09-27-2006, 10:58 PM
I haven't heard OK Computer in a long time, and I loved that album.

I'm actually pretty sure my ex-boyfriend still has it. :(

Kid Presentable
09-28-2006, 12:08 AM
I haven't heard OK Computer in a long time, and I loved that album.

I'm actually pretty sure my ex-boyfriend still has it. :(
I just played it. It still holds up extremely well, and helps me write.

Also, Tool's Undertow is not only their best, but also their most enduring.

Guy Incognito
09-28-2006, 06:58 AM
Ok - Second coming

Reading a book at the mo called Already in Me by Michael o connell about Ian Brown (with and without the roses). I have read pretty much everything there is about the roses and its the most in depth one i have read, its certainly got the most info about the making of both albums.
Ian brown does say that the second coming is a great album and was hurt by the reviews but he does conede it could have been better and it took too long to record and the band didnt work hard enough for various reasons.
They did start to write in 91 and spent nearly 3 years in the studio but spent a lot of this time watching led zep videos and crashing ford fiestas and having a few personal problems and then pretty much scrapped everything,started again and went throught a few producers and i reckon it showed when the album came out, its an album of flawed genius,great ideas and too many john squire solos ( some of his work is amazing but some unneccessary)whereas the first album is perfectly formed genius.

I recommend the book though - I am currently up to the split and whilst enjoying it - it does make me feel sad thru a few mistakes and bad luck it all went wrong.

Oh yeah and they played Glasgow green in 1990 and didnt play in UK again til august 1995 when they played the pilton mini festival after not doing glastonbury, there were a few gigs before that in europe in 95 but before that bugger all.

saz
09-28-2006, 11:32 AM
sure there were events in between. but there's a big diffrence between releasing a couple of deluxe singles/mini EPs and an actual album.

and touring, festival dates, tv appearances, and one long legal battle with your record label. besides, the beasties took six years to release their last album.

It's totally self indulgent on squires part and thats why the guitars are at the forefront of the album.

so is the s/t self-indulgent, because reni's drumming is at the forefront of that album? is b.b. king self-indulgent? buddy guy? jeff beck?

I like the second coming but if you think it in anyway compares to the stone roses you're out of your fucking mind.

relax. you can't compare them because they're completely different, which is better than doing the same thing twice.

1990, still touring and very active ? do you mean one gig in the uk at spike island ? I was there, were you ?

you're forgetting glasgow green, and other festivals and tv appearances in europe, ditto the release of 'one love'. but the shit hit the fan with silvertone in '90, which set them back two years.

started again and went throught a few producers and i reckon it showed when the album came out, its an album of flawed genius,great ideas and too many john squire solos ( some of his work is amazing but some unneccessary)whereas the first album is perfectly formed genius.

interesting, but i have to kinda play devil's advocate and suggest then if that's the case, then reni really dominates the first and some of the drumming is unnecessary.

Oh yeah and they played Glasgow green in 1990 and didnt play in UK again til august 1995 when they played the pilton mini festival after not doing glastonbury, there were a few gigs before that in europe in 95 but before that bugger all.

no in '90, they did do some things in spain, italy and france, ie festivals and tv appearances.

cheers for mentioning the book

hpdrifter
09-28-2006, 12:01 PM
what's the best g love album?

mickill
09-28-2006, 12:03 PM
Self-indulgent or not, I think that The Second Coming had a lot more balls than the debut. I obviously prefer the s/t album but two things definitely improved with their second: Brown's vocals and Squire's playing.

Regardless, it was still a bit more of a disappointment than it needed to be. Obviously the bar was set ridiculously high the first time around, and Second Coming was sorta destined to be berated by both fans and critics, especially since it took so long for them to deliver a second album. But they really shouldn't have followed it up with anything short of perfection.

Guy Incognito
09-28-2006, 12:20 PM
Self-indulgent or not, I think that The Second Coming had a lot more balls than the debut. I obviously prefer the s/t album but two things definitely improved with their second: Brown's vocals and Squire's playing.

Regardless, it was still a bit more of a disappointment than it needed to be. Obviously the bar was set ridiculously high the first time around, and Second Coming was sorta destined to be berated by both fans and critics, especially since it took so long for them to deliver a second album. But they really shouldn't have followed it up with anything short of perfection.

(y)
The first album had big ideas and the sound they created lived up to them but the second album had bigger ideas and they didnt always pull it off. As well as the delay I think that other acts had kinda taken their place and stole their thunder a bit

Ally Al
09-28-2006, 12:24 PM
[QUOTE]so is the s/t self-indulgent, because reni's drumming is at the forefront of that album? is b.b. king self-indulgent? buddy guy? jeff beck?

yes it was self indulgent, tje guitar playing is at the forefront of the album not the drums. And yes i would say Jeff Beck is totally self indulgent, doesn't mean i don't like him though

relax. you can't compare them because they're completely different, which is better than doing the same thing twice.

i am relaxed but thanks anyway. That hill was too steep of a climb for any band to fulfill, my point that without the record company wranglings if they could've dropped an album at the time of fools gold it would've been a different story as a follow up quality wise in my opinion

you're forgetting glasgow green, and other festivals and tv appearances in europe, ditto the release of 'one love'. but the shit hit the fan with silvertone in '90, which set them back two years.

which festivals ? did you attend any of them or does all your knowledge come from books ? And you're saying that releasing one single in 90 is active ? How about winter gardens, alexandra palace, spike island, the st helens citadel ? You attend any of these ??

cosmo105
09-29-2006, 12:39 AM
i was thinking of starting a thread just like this. weird.

...And You Will Know Us By The Trail Of Dead - Source Tags & Codes.

i kept this from an ex (i consider it asshole tax), and until recently had only listened to a few songs on it here and there. but now that i've given it more of a spin, and really given it a chance...it's grown on me a lot. some great tracks there. the drumming's amazing, too.

saz
10-10-2006, 03:08 PM

i enjoy both equally, but the s/t is perfect

yes it was self indulgent, tje guitar playing is at the forefront of the album not the drums. And yes i would say Jeff Beck is totally self indulgent, doesn't mean i don't like him though

so, reni's drumming is at the forefront of the debut...is that then self-indulgent? how about the musicianship of say classical and jazz musicians, are they self-indulgent? is anyone who can play any instrument extremely well, self-indulgent?

my point that without the record company wranglings if they could've dropped an album at the time of fools gold it would've been a different story as a follow up quality wise in my opinion

well, they didn't have enough new material ready to go in '90 for a new album.

which festivals ? did you attend any of them or does all your knowledge come from books ? And you're saying that releasing one single in 90 is active ? How about winter gardens, alexandra palace, spike island, the st helens citadel ? You attend any of these ??

the old mailing lists, boards etc. from the mid-90s. releasing a single, touring and tv appearances is being active.

Ally Al
10-10-2006, 05:31 PM
so, reni's drumming is at the forefront of the debut...is that then self-indulgent? how about the musicianship of say classical and jazz musicians, are they self-indulgent? is anyone who can play any instrument extremely well, self-indulgent?

no his drumming isn't self indulgent, reni didn't mix the second coming or the stones roses squires did and thats why the guitar sound is at the forefront of the album sound, and yes it is very self indulgent. When you're caning cocaine and doing big guitar solo's YES the playing does become self indulgent. And yes some jazz players, especially free jazz is very very very self indulgent. Maybe you could read about that in a book too, ok chief ?

the old mailing lists, boards etc. from the mid-90s. releasing a single, touring and tv appearances is being active.

difference is all the events i mentioned i attended so my persepctive is a little different than yours AND i've met brown and squires and when you speak to them in person they're a little more candid

saz
10-10-2006, 06:16 PM
no his drumming isn't self indulgent, reni didn't mix the second coming or the stones roses squires did

it was produced and engineered by simon dawson, paul schroeder, john leckie, mark tolle and al shaw

and thats why the guitar sound is at the forefront of the album sound, and yes it is very self indulgent.

ditto the drums are at the forefront of the debut.

When you're caning cocaine and doing big guitar solo's YES the playing does become self indulgent.

other than the coke, i guess every single blues and lead rock guitarist is self-indulgent.

And yes some jazz players, especially free jazz is very very very self indulgent. Maybe you could read about that in a book too, ok chief ?

maybe you could not get so rattled over differing opinions and not be so condescending

difference is all the events i mentioned i attended so my persepctive is a little different than yours AND i've met brown and squires and when you speak to them in person they're a little more candid

i've met squire as well

Ally Al
10-11-2006, 09:22 AM
it was produced and engineered by simon dawson, paul schroeder, john leckie, mark tolle and al shaw

squire mixed the second coming, but then again you probably think ian brown was talking out of his arse when he told me that

[QUOTE]ditto the drums are at the forefront of the debut.

they're not, and even if they were how is that reni being self indulgent ? Did he mix or produce the album ??

other than the coke, i guess every single blues and lead rock guitarist is self-indulgent.

we're not talking about every other lead guitarist, we're talking about john squire who IN MY OPINION was being SELF INDULGENT on the second coming

maybe you could not get so rattled over differing opinions and not be so condescending

LOL, rattled ? don't be a silly little sazi

i've met squire as well

did he mention me ?

abcdefz
10-11-2006, 09:39 AM
Free jazz is self-indulgent but can be oddly democratic, too. It's a funny duck.

What does "caning cocaine" mean? I know I could look it up.

My album I haven't listened to in a while that holds up well: Squeeze's East Side Story. (This is where "Tempted" came from.)

Holy smokes, this is a good album. Wonder if they'll trick it out for next year's (?) 25th anniversary.

25th anniversary. *sigh* I remember when it came out.

It was supposed to be a two-disc, 10" lps, with four producers each taking one side -- McCartney, Lowe, Costello, and someone else. That fell apart.

Anyway. Great, great album. (y)

Ally Al
10-11-2006, 10:16 AM
[QUOTE=abcdefz]Free jazz is self-indulgent but can be oddly democratic, too. It's a funny duck.

What does "caning cocaine" mean? I know I could look it up.

caning means doing a lot of, that results in being caned. At least where i come from anyways

ninenine
10-16-2006, 03:50 PM

yeah protection is a good album havn't listened to it for ages. i don't have blue lines but i like protection alot i like the song karmacoma.

Jitters
10-17-2006, 01:26 PM
Hippocamp Ruins Pet Sounds is still fun to listen to every once in a while, especially the rap song using nothing but Beach Boy references (y)

saz
10-26-2006, 12:30 PM
squire mixed the second coming, but then again you probably think ian brown was talking out of his arse when he told me that

nope, i don't

they're not, and even if they were how is that reni being self indulgent ? Did he mix or produce the album ??

no. you're arguing squire's crazy licks on the s/c are at the forefront of the album and therefore it's self-indulgent. so now, i'm pointing out that reni's insane drumming is at the forefront of the s/t. the drums are very dominant on the s/t. personally i don't think showcasing someone's musical talent is self-indulgent. but if they were to include a 20 minute bonham inspired drum solo, i'd say that's self-indulgent for sure.

we're not talking about every other lead guitarist, we're talking about john squire who IN MY OPINION was being SELF INDULGENT on the second coming

well, what squire did on the s/c was what every other great lead guitarist has done on their resepective albums.

Ally Al
10-26-2006, 12:53 PM
nope, i don't

thats big of you

no. you're arguing squire's crazy licks on the s/c are at the forefront of the album and therefore it's self-indulgent. so now, i'm pointing out that reni's insane drumming is at the forefront of the s/t. the drums are very dominant on the s/t. personally i don't think showcasing someone's musical talent is self-indulgent. but if they were to include a 20 minute bonham inspired drum solo, i'd say that's self-indulgent for sure.

you said "crazy licks" and "insane drumming", did you work for the NME circa 1976 ? You hit the nail on the head for once when you said personally, as in your personal opinion, so you do understand that people have different opinions ? The point i am making is that if squires mixed the guitars he pushed them to the forefront of the sound of the second coming that to me is self indulgent, see where i'm going with personal opinions now ? Or do we have to go over this again ?

well, what squire did on the s/c was what every other great lead guitarist has done on their resepective albums.

yes he did, he indulged himself with guitar solo's

abcdefz
10-26-2006, 01:00 PM
I just threw on The Beatles' Abbey Road the other day, which sounds great all over again.

Heck, "Because" even sounded good.(!)

saz
10-27-2006, 10:04 AM
you said "crazy licks" and "insane drumming", did you work for the NME circa 1976 ?

lol could you be anymore patronizing? how'd you phrase it then?

You hit the nail on the head for once when you said personally, as in your personal opinion, so you do understand that people have different opinions ?

yes and it's quite ironic that you're stating that, given that you've been up in arms over mine.

The point i am making is that if squires mixed the guitars he pushed them to the forefront of the sound of the second coming that to me is self indulgent, see where i'm going with personal opinions now ? Or do we have to go over this again ?

ian brown might have said that squire mixed it, but if so, why wasn't he credited with mixing the album on the album credits? and if he did mix the album, i wouldn't say that is being self-indulgent. knowing that at the time he was really into coke and treating reni like shit, i'd say he was more of a control freak.

yes he did, he indulged himself with guitar solo's

then i guess every other great guitarist is self-indulgent.

Ally Al
10-27-2006, 10:13 AM
lol could you be anymore patronizing? how'd you phrase it then?

yes i could be a lot more patronizing

[QUOTE]yes and it's quite ironic that you're stating that, given that you've been up in arms over mine.

i'm not up in arms, you're the one persisting with this, i couldn't give a fuck about you or your opinion

ian brown might have said that squire mixed it, but if so, why wasn't he credited with mixing the album on the album credits? and if he did mix the album,

next time you see ian brown ask him yourself

i wouldn't say that is being self-indulgent. knowing that at the time he was really into coke and treating reni like shit, i'd say he was more of a control freak.

YOU wouldn't say it's self indulgent, I WOULD, back to that point, you seem to be struggling with it. A self indulgent control freak. I'm sure you've taken a massive amount of cocaine yourself so you know all about the effects

then i guess every other great guitarist is self-indulgent.

interesting theory, you might have something there

saz
10-27-2006, 10:37 AM
i'm not up in arms, you're the one persisting with this, i couldn't give a fuck about you or your opinion

sure you are. you've been defensive, abrasive and condescending. i'm just trying to have a discussion. and if you don't give a fuck, then don't reply.

YOU wouldn't say it's self indulgent, I WOULD, back to that point, you seem to be struggling with it. A self indulgent control freak. I'm sure you've taken a massive amount of cocaine yourself so you know all about the effects

lol i don't think you really know what self-indulgence is then.

and it wasn't a theory, it was sarcasm.

Ally Al
10-27-2006, 10:46 AM
sure you are. you've been defensive, abrasive and condescending. i'm just trying to have a discussion. and if you don't give a fuck, then don't reply.

thats were you're wrong sonny. how am i defensive ? you're the one who thinks he knows best, you even think you know more than the artists we're discussing. I take ian browns word over yours anyday. And i really don't give a fuck about your opinions it's just lucifer will be making a snowman long before i let a smug little prick like you get the last word

lol i don't think you really know what self-indulgence is then.

lol i think i do

and it wasn't a theory, it was sarcasm

was it really ?? wow, you're good, i don't know how i let that masterclass in sarcasm pass me

saz
10-27-2006, 11:00 AM
you're the one who thinks he knows best, you even think you know more than the artists we're discussing.

no i don't, you're just speculating. squire may have well mixed it...i just pointed out that he wasn't credited with mixing it on the album's credits.

And i really don't give a fuck about your opinions it's just lucifer will get be making a snowman long before i let a smug little prick like you get the last word

where do i start. you stated that you don't give a fuck about my opinions, and that i was wrong and asked me how you've been defensive. well, when you have to resort to insults and condescension, that seals the deal.

Ally Al
10-27-2006, 11:12 AM
no i don't, you're just speculating. squire may have well mixed it...i just pointed out that he wasn't credited with mixing it on the album's credits.

the point you tried to make was that because he wasn't credited then it musn't be true. Thats like saying prince didn't play all the instruments on all his proteges albums because he was never credited

where do i start. you stated that you don't give a fuck about my opinions, and that i was wrong and asked me how you've been defensive. well, when you have to resort to insults and condescension, that seals the deal

LOL, that doesn't make me defensive, i like to insult people like you it's fun

abcdefz
10-27-2006, 11:14 AM
You two go to your rooms now. Your mother will call you when it's dinnertime. Until then, you can think about whether or not you can get along, you hear?

Now GO.